Diablo® III

I have a simple fix for HC DC deaths....

Why not just have your game "pause" automatically if you are disconnected while in a solo game? (Multiplayer games could not / would not do this, so you'll have to rely on your buddies :P )

Think about it, if you get DCd the Blizz servers should be able to tell fairly quickly. You are then "paused" (as if you had hit escape) until you reconnect. When you reconnect (no matter what) you are placed RIGHT BACK WHERE YOU LEFT OFF, with no changes at all. This way you can't get out of a sticky situation just by yanking your ethernet cable. If you're going to die, you're going to die, but this way I think is a fair way to handle some DC deaths that are not always the players fault! (Blizz servers have and will crash! We should not suffer because of this!)\

So, anyway, there's my idea!

Ready, set, discuss!

Edit - tl:dr

If and when you get disconnected from Blizzard servers, your game should "pause" until play is resumed on that character.

Edit 2 - Oh, and while we're at it, you should prevent players from selling any gear that was on the character or on that characters bag while in this paused state... that way no one is saving their precious HC gear from the grips of perma death.
Edited by Dysprosium#1727 on 4/24/2013 1:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
It could potentially work, but there's a few details you're missing for it to be viable.

1) This would only be for solo games. People in public games wouldn't want their game frozen for any length of time, hence why there is no pause option once a game is public.

2) Since it does take up resources to keep a game paused, there would still be a time limit to reconnect (5 to 15 mins), to prevent having multitudes of "paused" games in a saved state.

3) It still wouldn't work on most server crashes unless they make a complex system where they have separate servers to save games on, which financially isn't really worth it.

4) This suggestion has already been brought up and Blizzard is aware of it.

Overall, it would only be a partial fix since the biggest problem is the time it takes the server to recognize that the client is dc'ed (which from reports here can take up to a minute), which still leaves plenty of time for a player to die before the game becomes paused. There's also client lock ups where the connection is still intact but is unresponsive on your end (this solution wouldn't really help that problem).
Reply Quote
They just need to bring down the disconnect from 10 seconds. Ten seconds is far too long considering what desecrate or an arcane laser can do to you in that time period. 5 seconds seems like a nicer number and it may not eliminate the HC DC deaths, but it would minimize it.
Reply Quote
This suggestion has been brought up many times before, mine included. Why can't Blizzard actually work on issues in the game instead of changing numbers around. The game should also pause in multiplayer games in a similar fashion to Starcraft 2, but perhaps allow them at least 2 minutes to get back on.

04/24/2013 02:18 PMPosted by Kadderly
They just need to bring down the disconnect from 10 seconds. Ten seconds is far too long considering what desecrate or an arcane laser can do to you in that time period. 5 seconds seems like a nicer number and it may not eliminate the HC DC deaths, but it would minimize it.

The disconnect timer is more around 30 seconds to 60 seconds. This is because the Blizzard servers only start the 10 second disconnect timer after the connection is timed out or closed. It's a design oversight, and if we had disconnect detection like in Starcraft 2, this would reduce the disconnect timer down to its intended design of 10 seconds.
Reply Quote

The disconnect timer is more around 30 seconds to 60 seconds. This is because the Blizzard servers only start the 10 second disconnect timer after the connection is timed out or closed. It's a design oversight, and if we had disconnect detection like in Starcraft 2, this would reduce the disconnect timer down to its intended design of 10 seconds.

I had no idea it was that long. That's alarming to say the least.
Reply Quote
It could potentially work, but there's a few details you're missing for it to be viable.

1) This would only be for solo games. People in public games wouldn't want their game frozen for any length of time, hence why there is no pause option once a game is public.

2) Since it does take up resources to keep a game paused, there would still be a time limit to reconnect (5 to 15 mins), to prevent having multitudes of "paused" games in a saved state.

3) It still wouldn't work on most server crashes unless they make a complex system where they have separate servers to save games on, which financially isn't really worth it.

4) This suggestion has already been brought up and Blizzard is aware of it.

Overall, it would only be a partial fix since the biggest problem is the time it takes the server to recognize that the client is dc'ed (which from reports here can take up to a minute), which still leaves plenty of time for a player to die before the game becomes paused. There's also client lock ups where the connection is still intact but is unresponsive on your end (this solution wouldn't really help that problem).

1. I did address this in my post. I said Multiplayer would have to rely on their buddies to save them as you can't pause an MP game.

2. I agree! Good point.

3. I don't necessarily agree with this, Blizz would be the only ones to see if this is viable (technically and finacially)

4. Oh, has a blue ever commented on it?

As for the issue of not knowing when the player disconnected, just choose a threshold of "last packet received" to something like 1000ms (this is definitely up for debate)... so you may not know you're paused (or dead) but blizz will automatically snap-shot your game after 1000ms+ of packet loss.
Edited by Dysprosium#1727 on 4/24/2013 3:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote

like it, but is too open for abuse? Idk, I'll have to think on it.
Edited by Dysprosium#1727 on 4/24/2013 3:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote

I had no idea it was that long. That's alarming to say the least.

Nor did I.... It's amazing how much the D3 dev team over looked, especially given the time they had to work on this game!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]