Diablo® III

HotA (Hammer of the Ancients) FAQ

first of all, kudos to silverfire for this thread, and same goes to everyone who has contributed.

but can anyone explain to me how the breakpoints work?

do i divide it by my weapon's aps, from there is that the amount of ias i need to reach that bp?
Edited by Jozon#6162 on 5/2/2013 2:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
OK, i did one run with that ptr set and i got an avg of 18s over 7 packs. Didnt you want the set back?

edit: it was 372k dps. I didnt have the monster hp bars turned on and it was hard for me to stack them without that frame of reference. I'll try it tomorrow with the proper settings.

65% more dps for 30% faster clear times. My reg set is 227k dps.

I won't be home for at least another 8 hours so knock yourself out. The only unfinished business I have with some of that gear is knocking out a <3:30 uber run on Skorn. 18s is a couple of seconds better than I've managed with dual wield so far. Can you post how you geared and what build you were using? I think Morpheus would be interested, even though he's being silent. I'm guessing you used the IK belt and your fury generatorless build with brawler?

Hi Guys

Yes, I've been following the thread, it's been great. Thanks for having a run with my gear. It's great having guys who know what they're doing using the gear at it's maximum and gives me something to aim for.
Reply Quote
Good Skorn purchase.

As I said earlier, now you're going to want to get a SoJ. Do not underestimate it, it will likely be the single biggest upgrade you'll have made. It will dramatically decrease your elite kill times, and you'll get your HotA reduction back. Your AR is getting on the low side. I would get AR on your lacunis, and then use a vit gem if your HP ends up feeling too low.

Your gloves are excellent. They're practically end-game for a Skorn user, and your amulet is solid. Crafted bracers are going to make gearing annoying, so I wouldn't attempt it unless you have the bankroll to switch to a witching hour belt and IK boots with movement speed simultaneously.

Looking at D3Up, if I add a 25% elite/+6% dmg SOJ my paper DPS drops by 21k but my DPS vs elites goes to 199k.

If I need AR, I can switch out this amulet for another one I have, 218 STR/72 AR/87 CD/10 CC. I lose some DPS and HP but gain the AR. I can also swap out the Ruby in my helm for an Amethyst for more health. AR Lacunis with at least 5% CC...expensive?
Reply Quote
first of all, kudos to silverfire for this thread, and same goes to everyone who has contributed.

but can anyone explain to me how the breakpoints work?

do i divide it by my weapon's aps, from there is that the amount of ias i need to reach that bp?

The breakpoint is the minimum weapon APS needed to hit a certain frame count. (animation length) To determine the amount of IAS needed, take a breakpoint, divide by your weapon APS, then subtract by 1.4, and multiply by 100. The 1.4 is the factor by which your base weapon APS is multiplied by to get your in-game APS under wrath of the berserker. Dual-wielding adds a bonus of 15% (.15), and wrath 25% (.25), which sum up to a 40% increase, or a factor of 1.4. IAS from gear adds to that factor.

For example, your mainhand weapon APS is 1.2, and you have 27% IAS from gear. This gives you an in-game APS of

1.2*(1.4+.27)=2.004

which reaches the 29 frame, 1.9483 APS breakpoint.

To go in reverse, the 1.9483 APS breakpoint needs
100*(1.9483/1.2-1.4)=22.3->ceiling to 23, 23% IAS

Technically you have too much APS for the HotA breakpoints, but I wouldn't worry about it. There are more HotA breakpoints, so you don't lose much actual DPS for missing one, so it's more important to reach the sprint/ww ones if you're playing a hybrid. Plus, I wouldn't recommend dual wielders to go out of their way to reach HotA breakpoints, as we don't actually know exactly what's going on with the mechanics of HotA with dual wielding yet.

The following is just an aside. You can ignore it unless you're more interested in the nuances of the game mechanics.

Unfortunately, Nubtro did some research, and we don't have very good answers on precisely how the animation lengths work with dual wielding. They are unlike sprint, where the animation length is just based on the mainhand, or ww where it's based on the last weapon swung.

With HotA, it uses some kind of weird averaging between the attack speeds of the two weapons. If you were using a rare mace + echoing fury like the majority do (which gives both weapons the same attack speed), it could've made my life easier and I could have pretended like I had all the answers, heh.

Our working theory is that it works something like this.

Your buffed mainhand APS is 2.004
Your buffed offhand APS is 2.505

56.5 is the base used to determine frame counts (it's how I calculated the values in the table on the first post)

56.5/1.896=28.19->ceiling to 29 (which means it reaches the 1.9482 APS breakpoint)
56.5/2.37=22.55->round to 23 (which means it reaches the 2.456 APS breakpoint)

Your average HotA frame length is likely to be something around 26, but it will likely alternate in some weird way.
Edited by silverfire#1855 on 5/2/2013 9:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Good Skorn purchase.

As I said earlier, now you're going to want to get a SoJ. Do not underestimate it, it will likely be the single biggest upgrade you'll have made. It will dramatically decrease your elite kill times, and you'll get your HotA reduction back. Your AR is getting on the low side. I would get AR on your lacunis, and then use a vit gem if your HP ends up feeling too low.

Your gloves are excellent. They're practically end-game for a Skorn user, and your amulet is solid. Crafted bracers are going to make gearing annoying, so I wouldn't attempt it unless you have the bankroll to switch to a witching hour belt and IK boots with movement speed simultaneously.

Looking at D3Up, if I add a 25% elite/+6% dmg SOJ my paper DPS drops by 21k but my DPS vs elites goes to 199k.

If I need AR, I can switch out this amulet for another one I have, 218 STR/72 AR/87 CD/10 CC. I lose some DPS and HP but gain the AR. I can also swap out the Ruby in my helm for an Amethyst for more health. AR Lacunis with at least 5% CC...expensive?

Don't go for 5CC. The best value is at 4.5. You can get 65AR/9IAS/4.5CC lacunis for under 20m (maybe even 15m now...haven't watched the market much)

But get the SoJ first. Try to stretch your budget for a 27% BvE or so. As you see, it's a flat damage multiplier. It's especially powerful because it essentially grows along with the rest of your gear.

My stance on hellfire rings and rubies in helms is that they are usually not worthwhile. They only have a significant impact on low MP's. At higher ones, the base bonus experience gets so high that the bonuses from ruby/hf get washed out. If you end up dying with a ruby in your helm, but wouldn't have died with an amethyst, then the amount of time you wasted on your death greatly outweighed any bonus experience benefit you might have gotten in the long run.

You have a decent amount of strength as well, so you could always cut into your armor and swap some of those rubies out for amethysts if you really want to.

I won't be home for at least another 8 hours so knock yourself out. The only unfinished business I have with some of that gear is knocking out a <3:30 uber run on Skorn. 18s is a couple of seconds better than I've managed with dual wield so far. Can you post how you geared and what build you were using? I think Morpheus would be interested, even though he's being silent. I'm guessing you used the IK belt and your fury generatorless build with brawler?

Hi Guys

Yes, I've been following the thread, it's been great. Thanks for having a run with my gear. It's great having guys who know what they're doing using the gear at it's maximum and gives me something to aim for.

I was trying PhatPho's build for a couple of runs last night with the same gear setup he used:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#ZcUQRP!ZgY!ZZZZYc

At first it felt a little weird having no real way to top off fury, but the sprint tornadoes are actually more than sufficient to keep WotB up at the 2.51 APS breakpoint. This kind of a build does not work with Skorn. Haven't quite matched his performance yet, but I'll put up a video of it. I'm around 19-20 seconds on average, the fear is still bothering me, and the cold -4 SoJ seems to make things feel a lot more awkward with this build. -5 makes it a lot more comfortable for me.
Edited by silverfire#1855 on 5/2/2013 10:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
I don't bother keeping fury up since with a couple default AAs you get enough fury to get started again. Thats probably why brawler is better for me.

I am really liking the stutter step. I think it does reduce the impact of fear. It adds another dimension to positioning. Before, I never cared how far away I stood as I started hota. Now if I stand right on top of the target, and they start to kite/fear, i start clicking hota instead of holding down LMB and i start stutter stepping right away since they will always be in range.
Reply Quote
Don't go for 5CC. The best value is at 4.5. You can get 65AR/9IAS/4.5CC lacunis for under 20m (maybe even 15m now...haven't watched the market much)

But get the SoJ first. Try to stretch your budget for a 27% BvE or so. As you see, it's a flat damage multiplier. It's especially powerful because it essentially grows along with the rest of your gear.

My stance on hellfire rings and rubies in helms is that they are usually not worthwhile. They only have a significant impact on low MP's. At higher ones, the base bonus experience gets so high that the bonuses from ruby/hf get washed out. If you end up dying with a ruby in your helm, but wouldn't have died with an amethyst, then the amount of time you wasted on your death greatly outweighed any bonus experience benefit you might have gotten in the long run.

You have a decent amount of strength as well, so you could always cut into your armor and swap some of those rubies out for amethysts if you really want to.

Ouch. 20M for AR Lacunis might be a tough pill to swallow when I've only got 90 million or so gold. I bought these for 2 million. I think I'll change the amulet back to regain the AR rather than buying the Lacunis.

Do you think my CC will be sufficient losing 5.5 from the R Ring/Lacunis? It'll be down to 53 after Battle Rage without WOTB. I'll lose 7% attack speed too.

Yeah I was thinking that at higher MP levels, the Ruby won't be as important. I'll probably try to swap to the amethyst tonight.

Speaking of Hellfires, I've been sitting on 6 machines to find someone to MP10 uber carry for myself and my bro-in-law, but we haven't been able to find a time to do it since 1.0.7 came out(I have limited time and he's in school). I still want to do it just to see what I roll with 2 ring chances.
Edited by BoscUlrich#1603 on 5/2/2013 11:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I don't bother keeping fury up since with a couple default AAs you get enough fury to get started again. Thats probably why brawler is better for me.

I am really liking the stutter step. I think it does reduce the impact of fear. It adds another dimension to positioning. Before, I never cared how far away I stood as I started hota. Now if I stand right on top of the target, and they start to kite/fear, i start clicking hota instead of holding down LMB and i start stutter stepping right away since they will always be in range.

I was trying to spam click my LMB, and it seemed to be working fairly well. I do have a move key mapped. I was also using brawler. Overall, yeah, fury wasn't too difficult to generate, but it definitely felt different.

Ouch. 20M for AR Lacunis might be a tough pill to swallow when I've only got 90 million or so gold. I bought these for 2 million. I think I'll change the amulet back to regain the AR rather than buying the Lacunis.

Do you think my CC will be sufficient losing 5.5 from the R Ring/Lacunis? It'll be down to 53 after Battle Rage without WOTB. I'll lose 7% attack speed too.

Yeah I was thinking that at higher MP levels, the Ruby won't be as important. I'll probably try to swap to the amethyst tonight.

Speaking of Hellfires, I've been sitting on 6 machines to find someone to MP10 uber carry for myself and my bro-in-law, but we haven't been able to find a time to do it since 1.0.7 came out(I have limited time and he's in school). I still want to do it just to see what I roll with 2 ring chances.

Both of your amulets are really nice, but be aware that it's much harder to upgrade one if you're relying on the slot for AR. Plus, having the option to put AR in both the bracers and amulet would be nice- a combo like that would have you doing fine even in MP9 most likely.

You're at a point where your upgrades are going to cost at least tens of millions. You won't be able to make substantial progression unless you start spending large fractions of your bankroll. Everyone has their own way of upgrading, but it's usually more cost-effective overall to upgrade very slowly but spend a relatively large amount on each piece and do it right for each one, rather than buy a lot of cheap pieces and then end up having to sell them all shortly afterwards. The only situation where it makes sense to buy a lot of cheap pieces is if somehow your build isn't functioning at all. I'd probably spend around 70m on two pieces right now. Then you'll be broke for a while, and a couple of months later you'll have another 50-100m to spend on another piece or two. It's by upgrading in that manner that you slowly end up with a higher-end barb while barely realizing it...it doesn't happen overnight.

You think upgrading your lacunis is going to be painful...just wait till the time comes for your chest and helm...

Crit chance even with a SoJ and losing .5 on your lacs will be no issue for you. Your other ring, amulet, and gloves are all good enough on that front.
Reply Quote
Both of your amulets are really nice, but be aware that it's much harder to upgrade one if you're relying on the slot for AR. Plus, having the option to put AR in both the bracers and amulet would be nice- a combo like that would have you doing fine even in MP9 most likely.

You're at a point where your upgrades are going to cost at least tens of millions. You won't be able to make substantial progression unless you start spending large fractions of your bankroll. Everyone has their own way of upgrading, but it's usually more cost-effective overall to upgrade very slowly but spend a relatively large amount on each piece and do it right for each one, rather than buy a lot of cheap pieces and then end up having to sell them all shortly afterwards. The only situation where it makes sense to buy a lot of cheap pieces is if somehow your build isn't functioning at all. I'd probably spend around 70m on two pieces right now. Then you'll be broke for a while, and a couple of months later you'll have another 50-100m to spend on another piece or two. It's by upgrading in that manner that you slowly end up with a higher-end barb while barely realizing it...it doesn't happen overnight.

You think upgrading your lacunis is going to be painful...just wait till the time comes for your chest and helm...

Crit chance even with a SoJ and losing .5 on your lacs will be no issue for you. Your other ring, amulet, and gloves are all good enough on that front.

Yeah I'm already facing the 10's of millions. My rings were around 10 and 15 apiece. I've been trying to resist marginal upgrades and saving gold for a big ticket item. Though there was a ridiculous pair of Lacunis I saw for 100 million and I'm still kicking myself for not buying them. They were like 60 str/130 Vit/9/6, End game for me or flip them for hundreds million more gold. They disappeared as I was thinking them over...I knew they were good but didn't realize how huge of a steal they would have been.

Picked up 52 AR/9/4.5 for 7 million. You're right, 5 CC and they were starting around 50 million.

SOJs are expensive...-3s are in the 30s...

Just found a 66 Vit Andariel with only 5% fire damage...could use that :P

Got trolled by RNG on a Tal Rasha amulet...thorns and a min damage roll.
Edited by BoscUlrich#1603 on 5/2/2013 5:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I just recently purchased a cold soj with -5 hota and it's a world of difference in terms of fury management when doing hota on single elites because now, my fury never drops before the elites do. -4 hota soj still doesn't do it for me but a -5 hota does, even without standing on any poison, fire, etc. pools.

Since I run a ww + hota hybrid build, I need the cold damage from a cold soj which makes them pricier since I had to get a cold soj with -5 hota. I figured it's ok if the elites damage is only 23% since that only applies against elites and the ability to use hota against them more than makes up for the somewhat low damage against elites. Those cold sojs with 30% elites and -5 hota are just too expensive.
Reply Quote
Saw some SOJs with -3 around 17 million. -3s show up anywhere from 17 to 150. Hopefully the -4s aren't crazy but there are hardly any available. I'm looking strictly at 25+ Elite though.
Edited by BoscUlrich#1603 on 5/3/2013 6:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Hello, i need some advice.
I really enjoy DW/Hota but my DPS feel really low, although i can farm PM10 white mobs and a few elites.
http://eu.battle.net/d3/fr/profile/Doc-2847/hero/25945212

How can i improve my gear with a 300-500M budget ?
Thx !
Reply Quote
05/03/2013 06:40 AMPosted by BoscUlrich
Saw some SOJs with -3 around 17 million. -3s show up anywhere from 17 to 150. Hopefully the -4s aren't crazy but there are hardly any available. I'm looking strictly at 25+ Elite though.

I got a 27% BVE -4 HOTA for 100mil. I feel the price wasn't great, but neither was it horrible. The prices are not that excessive as long as you are not going perfect or getting a cold one. Don't pay the excessive crap some people are peddling.
Reply Quote
Great read. Never really looked into breakpoints i just did the tried and true 'Get as much of everything as you can' but i think i'm going to try for the 1.43 with a two-hander now :)
Reply Quote
I got a cold -4 one which I kind of regret buying lol. I wonder if I can trade it for a normal -5 one.
Reply Quote
05/03/2013 11:54 PMPosted by xxxkan
I got a cold -4 one which I kind of regret buying lol. I wonder if I can trade it for a normal -5 one.

-4 HOTA SOJ just doesn't cut it enough eh? That's why I went for the -5 instead, to make sure. I tried a -4 and a -5 in the PTR first and felt that only -5 would do for me. I paid extra for it but it's well worth it.
Reply Quote
@Silverfire
What aps should be suitable start for perma fury?
Have added lacunis and mempo that improved things.
Still have original skorn with ias, but this looses too much dps.

If you want it for give away or something to help someone you can have it.

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy109/NevC174/Skornias_zpsc28dab59.jpg
Edited by Eribuss#6380 on 5/4/2013 5:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/04/2013 04:53 AMPosted by MasterPUA

-4 HOTA SOJ just doesn't cut it enough eh? That's why I went for the -5 instead, to make sure. I tried a -4 and a -5 in the PTR first and felt that only -5 would do for me. I paid extra for it but it's well worth it.

I guess part of it also comes from the extreme low cc on my amulet lol.
Reply Quote
@Silverfire
What aps should be suitable start for perma fury?
Have added lacunis and mempo that improved things.
Still have original skorn with ias, but this looses too much dps.

If you want it for give away or something to help someone you can have it.

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy109/NevC174/Skornias_zpsc28dab59.jpg

Get another 8% ias, probably best from inna's.

@xxxkan, I think cold -4's are worth more than non cold -5's, so you can probably make the switch and not lose.
Reply Quote
05/04/2013 03:30 PMPosted by silverfire
@xxxkan, I think cold -4's are worth more than non cold -5's, so you can probably make the switch and not lose.

I only have 26% bve on mine, so ya lol!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]