Diablo® III

HotA (Hammer of the Ancients) FAQ

05/31/2013 05:51 PMPosted by BobAwesome
The decisions on what to use for these slots will depend very heavily on the weapons you use. For instance, witching hour is generally not going to be a good idea for dual wield, therefore IK irons usually won't be needed. You'll want 4 slots of IAS for dual wield, and 5 slots for Skorn, and that extra slot puts a lot of pressure on gear, usually robbing you of both EHP and sheet DPS, and changes your itemization pretty significantly. I'd generally say you're going to want to pick one out of lacunis or inna's whichever way you go. Using both is a pain, and using neither gimps your effectiveness too much.

So I think when I go with the WW/HOTA build, I'd be better off getting a IK belt which will give me much more EHP and some LS but I'll lose the CD from the WH. So for weapons, I'm looking at going mace main hand and an EF. How should I allocate the STR/CD/LS between the two Obviously getting all three on the MH would be ideal, but costly. The EF can only have the one of the last three options.

STR/CD/LS
STR/CD
STR/LS
CD/LS

And from what I've read it's better to have a ruby in the MH correct?

Again, thanks for all the help!

For pure DTWW, ruby is usually better because of the way sprint tornadoes' damage is calculated. For the purposes of HotA, an emerald will win in nearly all situations because of how high the effective crit chance is. For the EF, str/socket, and pick one between LS or CD. Neither will be cheap, especially on high damage EF's.

Three questions:

1) Is the HOTA cc contributed from max fury not show-able in the sheets but we just assume the added cc is there??

2) Does the fury has to be full to receive the cc bonus?? For example: 0/100 fury = 20 cc?? or does it have to be 100/100 = 20 cc??

3) Assuming no fury contribution from gear, 100 fury as default, does that mean HOTA user has automatically 20 cc added with full fury?? (or with 5 from IMK full set bonus + 15 from Mighty Weapon + 15 from Mighty Belt + 15 from SOJ+20 from animosity+100 default = 170 full fury = 34 cc)

Now 34cc (from above) + "15% from passives + 5% starting amount+3% from battlerage + 10% from WOTB + 10% from OPKS" and ONLY 23% real cc from gears are enough to put me on 100% cc, is that correct?? Though I am not saying it should be the way to go but theoretically it is not necessary to gear up 35 real cc but only up to 23 real cc if you really want to rely on fury = cc??

Proof of any or all questions are much appreciated, thank you.

I'll add the answers to these in the opening post.
Reply Quote
Hmmm silverfire do you know any higher end barbs (preferably with profile link :D) that run LS skorn hybrid build hitting the 1.83 breakpoint? I figured it out of my league (tried it when I hit the 1.43) and never looked back. I know I still have some major improvements in other areas to work on but I have multiple sets of gear and builds I switch between for enjoyment and wouldn't mind having that on my list.

I'm now only 1 piece of AS away. Do you think I could pull it off (assuming 9/5-6 lacunis with similar defensive stats) or is my CC too low? Being able to drop cleave for OP would help a lot i assume. Should I just wait maybe until I get one/both the upgrades I'm saving for (9/4-5 Mempo and tri/AR crafted gloves)?
Reply Quote
Hmmm silverfire do you know any higher end barbs (preferably with profile link :D) that run LS skorn hybrid build hitting the 1.83 breakpoint? I figured it out of my league (tried it when I hit the 1.43) and never looked back. I know I still have some major improvements in other areas to work on but I have multiple sets of gear and builds I switch between for enjoyment and wouldn't mind having that on my list.

I'm now only 1 piece of AS away. Do you think I could pull it off (assuming 9/5-6 lacunis with similar defensive stats) or is my CC too low? Being able to drop cleave for OP would help a lot i assume. Should I just wait maybe until I get one/both the upgrades I'm saving for (9/4-5 Mempo and tri/AR crafted gloves)?

Look at DAKKON's profile and imagine an IK chest and a high-end LS skorn. That's what he used to run, and what he ran in the video of his that I linked.

You can pull it off, but there are some major issues you need to fix with your gear IMO. Your chest needs an upgrade desperately, and I'd probably get a crit mempo first as well like you said.

I agree that the 1.83 breakpoint feels much better than 1.67. However, it's very difficult to gear for. I would actually suggest dropping the SoJ and getting the IAS in your other ring rather than lacunis for now for when you want a change of pace. For killing elites, you'll be using HotA, so the breakpoint will give quality of life but not much more. Where the breakpoint can really help is for trash farming with WW, and for that you don't need a SoJ.
Reply Quote
I actually did exactly that and pulled out an old ring I have. Very fun build and very efficient. Was very easy to maintain Perma-wrath and the mobility actually bumped my survivability up. My endgame gear goal has a crafted chest so my chest is just a placeholder ;)
Reply Quote
First trifecta! Crafted gloves.

~210 Strength, ~160 Int, ~80 Vit, 9 IAS, 42 CD, but only 6.5 CC. Those would be great for trash farming if I swapped my SOJ for a rare with 5+ CC, but I haven't tried these yet with SOJ. Worried about further CC loss...I need to find a ring on the auction house with IAS and 5+ CC. I already sold my old trifecta ring.
Reply Quote
Damn, those gloves are quite the troll. Yes, you can't take the CC hit in your current gear. The painful fact is that those gloves are not suitable for endgame because their CC is just too low to plan around, so you will have to keep going, or continue to use your current ones. You're right that they will be good for trash farming, but the low CC will be a hindrance for rend as well.

If you want to use those gloves, then what I would do is switch the helm for an IK triumph with 5.5% CC, 50AR or higher, the blackthorne's chest for the highest vitality IK chest that you can afford, and the belt for a witching hour with 150str/50vit or so, and the ring with a 7IAS litany. That ends up adding up to quite a bundle though...
Reply Quote
Damn, those gloves are quite the troll. Yes, you can't take the CC hit in your current gear. The painful fact is that those gloves are not suitable for endgame because their CC is just too low to plan around, so you will have to keep going, or continue to use your current ones. You're right that they will be good for trash farming, but the low CC will be a hindrance for rend as well.

If you want to use those gloves, then what I would do is switch the helm for an IK triumph with 5.5% CC, 50AR or higher, the blackthorne's chest for the highest vitality IK chest that you can afford, and the belt for a witching hour with 150str/50vit or so, and the ring with a 7IAS litany. That ends up adding up to quite a bundle though...

And I just sold that nice IK helm a while back :) Yup, that would be a bundle. I don't think I'm going to do that. I have been looking at IAS Litanys and Unitys though. I've been thinking about putting my rare ring on the market. Prices on anything similar(without the Int of course) with 5+ CC are insane. Even dropping average damage and STR and the prices are in the hundreds of millions. I bought this one for 15 I think. I've got 155 million right now. Those IAS Unitys and Litanys are expensive though.
Edited by BoscUlrich#1603 on 6/13/2013 9:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Silverfire,
What would be minimum life for build?
I can get more dps, but at expense of life. Rings can provide both but so far none have come up that is worth price for gain. Have lost count of crafting for shoulders and ammy with no useable result, in fact not even close to good.

Have gained better stats from when you gave advise to me, what you think of build now?
Reply Quote
60k HP is usually enough for more situations, wouldn't go far below that, but mid 50's are okay too if your mitigation is high enough. Get more vitality on your ice climbers. Avoid stacking vitality on your rings. Are you crafting vitality shoulders or strength? Your current ones will be hard to beat, though.
Reply Quote
06/22/2013 02:35 PMPosted by silverfire
Are you crafting vitality shoulders or strength? Your current ones will be hard to beat, though.

Crafting Vit shoulders and amulet. Ice Climbers can give a bit more life without dropping dps, Can use Vile Ward for dps and new ice climbers together for more damage and same vit.

Thanks for help
Reply Quote
View profile
06/22/2013 04:45 PMPosted by Eribuss
Are you crafting vitality shoulders or strength? Your current ones will be hard to beat, though.

Crafting Vit shoulders and amulet. Ice Climbers can give a bit more life without dropping dps, Can use Vile Ward for dps and new ice climbers together for more damage and same vit.

Thanks for help

why no sprint? unless your current build is for ubers, any farming build without sprint is very slow. Sprint will also help you get to packs faster, letting you swap out unforgiving for a more offensive passive.
Reply Quote
why no sprint? unless your current build is for ubers, any farming build without sprint is very slow. Sprint will also help you get to packs faster, letting you swap out unforgiving for a more offensive passive.

Very good question that. If you farm with sprint, do you go back looking for rares, or only go for legs?
I tend to clean up as I go. This is probably why my kill score is not as high as others who use sprint.
I normally only use wotb for hard elites or multiples in MP10.
The build is for general at present with SoJ -5 hota not equipped which is added for ubers..
Edited by Eribuss#6380 on 6/22/2013 7:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
You shouldnt have to reserve wrath for anything. You should have it as a permanent buff.

I only pick up 1h weapons, jewelry and legendaries. I'm able to keep wrath up.
Reply Quote
Bump for usefulness.
Reply Quote
@Silverfire
I am not sure of where I stand on my break point.
All I can find is that I have 1.7, which to me seems that I am just under these from your chart.
33 1.712121212
32 1.765625

Do I need a bit more ias to get over the listed numbers?

have done a few upgrades since you gave advice, am definitely staying alive and doing more damage now. Any further suggestions?
I am after IK gloves with better stats, just found WH belt on gah, It gives more dps and protection even though old belt had AR80, but no dexterity.
Reply Quote
Ive seen some barb crit around 3 Million, how is this possible? i need some advice on getting there if i can :) thanks. have a look at my gear and tell me what needs to be improved.
Reply Quote
Bump
Reply Quote
Hi Eribuss, you do have IAS overstacked for both unbuffed and buffed breakpoints. I don't think you need more. I'll look closer at your gear tomorrow.
Reply Quote
This is my Hota/rend build that I run with a friend, use war cry instead of leap when we play together:

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Karokk-2441/

Do you think I would benefit from using skorn? Do I need more AS to use skorn?
Reply Quote
Sorry about the noob question but has anyone used HOTA:birthright for loot farming? Is it worthwhile?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]