Diablo® III

HotA (Hammer of the Ancients) FAQ

Not sure if your gear could get any more tweeked. I agree that HOTA farming does seem slow and klunky compared to WW. Dropping below 100% CC by dropping OPKS is ok as long as you are hitting multiple targets but you really notice it when you are down to the last elite.

I don't like running without OPKS. Have you tried running with a no fury generator build? Basically, your WW build with hota smash instead of bash. The only tricky part is getting BR up the first time but that simply takes a couple of hits from a trash mob.

I was playing around last night with no Fury generators........However it was geared for WW/Hota. I will try no Fury build pur HotA today. I just find that yes even after you get the fury going, that at some point you lose it. SOmething goes wrong you swung s few to many times........it requires almost perfect play. I dont believe anyone can always keep it going. But maybe I need more practice

This playstyle takes tons of practice. I used to play similarly but stopped once I got enough IAS to incorporate WW. It's way easier to use WW instead of either bash or rend even though the top-end damage might be slightly lower. (In your case, it won't be since you're optimized for ww anyways) As much crap as I give ballerina barbs, I admit that there is no smoother way to play a barb than to have DTWW on your skillbar in some form. Need to get some videos from Death showing the "pure" HotA style, him and Jim are the best that I've seen at it. I'll record some videos myself as well, was planning to yesterday but couldn't get around to it. The jist of it is that you have to balance your fury carefully. Bash till you're full, HotA when you are, and spam battle rage and/or sprint to dump fury if your wrath timer is expiring.
Reply Quote
@KillerElite
Thank you very much for detailed answer. As I can conclude from your input, Soj with +15 fury and -5 hota will make the biggest improvement in my hota performance. Ill search the AH for such a SoJ, or as close as i can get (-4 or -3 probably). And Ill give Scoundrel a try.

If I understand it right, any amount of -hota, helps in my situation, not just only -5. Shouldnt probably bother with -1 or -2 though.

For fury gen templar is better for me as I get 20.82 fps with him, and with scoundrel i get only 19,89 fps. But Ill thoroughly test Scoundrel, because with my current fury situation, templar could be only "half-measure" and not putting me on my comfortable fury regen breakpoint.

Total respect!

I agree with KillerElite. You might want to look at a -4 if a -5 is out of reach. I've been testing -5 against -4, and in practice they're very similar. The -5 has a slight quality of life benefit, but I wouldn't recommend springing for one unless you really have the gold for it. (i.e. don't spend half your fortune on one) Also ignore whatever build I had on yesterday, I was using dual wield DTWW temporarily. What I normally use is WW/sprint/OPKS/HotA with no fury generator and no templar. You might want to try the same as you have the attack speed for it. I would work on getting more crit chance.
Reply Quote
@Silverfire: in your opinion, which soj would be better for a ww/hota build with no fury generators. I know most would say -hota but I bought +crit hit to ww with the thought that it would be easier to generate fury with more crits. Obviously this would depend a bit. On single target -hota would obviously be the way to go. With multiple target... I guess the +crit to ww would make little difference. (Guess I answered that question for myself).

Now I am sad that I spent soooo much gold on my soj.

You have an amazing ww SoJ. For HotA DPS, yes, a HotA reduction would be better, but with your weapon setup, you're more slanted towards DTWW anyways. You and I use virtually the same build, but you're dual wield with a ww SoJ, and I'm a 2h user with a HotA SoJ. The distinction in playstyle is that I will rely much more on HotA for all of my damage, and use ww only when I have to do a lot of aoe (like dealing with multiple elite packs, and/or kiters. You should be using ww in nearly all cases except for dealing with lone kiting mobs, rare elites, goblins, etc. Consequently, the HotA reduction is less crucial for you. When you're running dry on fury, use whirlwind and OP:KS to generate more. You have to think of ww as your fury generator, not HotA.

I have thought of trying out Death's WW/Rend/HotA build but I'm going to need a HotA reducing SoJ before I attempt it (I can't afford one).

I feel like my DPS is going to hover fairly close to where it's at until I hit the lottery. The next step in my gear progression is going to be very costly (outside of crafting until I drop and hoping for marginal upgrades). An LS Skorn, WH, STR/CC/AR Lacunis, and a wicked pair of IC boots are in my distant future.

I've also considered going with a top-end boulder breaker for a change of pace (d3rawr doesn't like it but it sure seems like fun).

So many different things to try...so little time to play!

I use Death's build occasionally, but it generally gives me trouble because I'm used to fury being easy with OP:KS. Even with reduction, I run dry and the playstyle feels clunky.

However, last night, he lent me his gear on the PTR, and it was a lot smoother. He has around 4% CC more from gear than I do if memory serves, and it made all the difference. As I was telling him last night, his barb just had a feeling of being smoother and more refined than mine, even though overall our gear is pretty similar (he just has way better rolled versions of the same pieces) His build is going to be difficult to make work well with your level of crit chance. I'd probably want around 5% more before trying it.

Your barb is interesting as it is and I'm not sure what I'd do. You're geared so well for an IAS Skorn that, as I've said before, I would hesitate in going the LS route. You will have to spend a huge amount, and will have to nearly completely regear just to end up at where you already are. I would rather spend your gold on improving the direction of gear that you're already in as you can make improvements much more easily. Not that even that will be that easy. The first thing I would change would be to get a crit mempo, which obviously isn't going to be cheap in itself, and then a HotA reduction SoJ, and then MS ice climbers, in that order. That gearing path is daunting enough. Your bracers and gloves are too good to toss away, and you will have to spend hundreds of millions to get anywhere near them with the IK/lacuni/WH combo. Just look at Joch if you need proof that IAS Skorn is a viable end-game route.
Edited by silverfire#1855 on 4/23/2013 11:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
After watching the challenge I have tried Hota, but run out of fury.
I switched WW for hota. Also replaced IK boots with Ice Climbers which did affect fury.

Given my mid range? gear, what suggestions could you make.

I am after new gear but so far have not found much to update. have 300Mill

If you can fit 7% IAS onto your gloves, you should be in decent shape to use WW/HotA. Otherwise, you have the crit chance, and decent attack speed for HotA, so a lot of it will be a matter of practice. Without a HotA reduction ring, you will need to bash in order to keep your fury topped off, as HotA will not do the trick on its own.
Edited by silverfire#1855 on 4/23/2013 11:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks for the insight Silverfire. You'd stated your concerns for me switching to an LS Skorn before but never really gave details. It makes sense now. You're right, no matter which road I take, the cost is going to be high LOL

Perhaps I'll continue to craft hoping for small incremental improvements. If you think a CC mempo should be my first stop then I'll start saving!
Reply Quote
Switching to an LS skorn will be far more expensive. You'd practically be starting over, and would need to replace your crafted items with the most expensive ones in the game. With the IAS route, you're around 75% there already. Maybe I'd get the SoJ before springing for a critpo. It depends on the type of playstyle you want and what you're having trouble with.

Honestly I'm feeling the same as you with gear upgrades and it's killing my motivation to play the game. Even a good witching hour/IK iron combo would be an incremental upgrade, and would cost about a third of my entire barb's worth if I don't skimp on them...:-/ It's rough at this point. It's easier to set a goal and try to hit it than to just try to increase sheet DPS.
Reply Quote
04/23/2013 12:00 PMPosted by silverfire
It depends on the type of playstyle you want and what you're having trouble with.

I'm not really having trouble with anything actually...

I can speed farm MP7-8 Alkaizer, I can farm anything in MP10 (more slowly) with Rend, and I do Ubers with no issue (died a couple of times on MP10 and then I raised my health by about 6k).

I was doing MP10 K2 runs with Rend for a while but got bored with it. Now I'm doing MP7 or MP8 Alkaizer runs for a change of pace. I like MP7 a little better because things just melt so much more quickly.

That's why I start looking at other builds (like incorporating HotA) because, if I don't, I think I'd lose the will to play LOL

That's why I geared a TR Monk...holy cow that's a fun build!
Reply Quote
View profile
04/23/2013 10:30 AMPosted by silverfire
AH flipping made me absolutely miserable and I haven't done anything of the kind in months. I don't even try very hard to get killer deals anymore, and get what I want when I see it, even if I'm overpaying by a bit, because I frankly hate using the auction house at all.

so tempted to drop 700m on a 4.5cc mempo. I'm sick of waiting for a deal!
Reply Quote
04/23/2013 12:09 PMPosted by PhatPhoEater
AH flipping made me absolutely miserable and I haven't done anything of the kind in months. I don't even try very hard to get killer deals anymore, and get what I want when I see it, even if I'm overpaying by a bit, because I frankly hate using the auction house at all.

Looks like I got competition! Except I need 9% for the breakpoint lol. Damn Lacunis and innas only 8%
Reply Quote
Look at my gear...yeah, I've got some decent pieces, but I can't even afford to use the same type of gems in all my slots after crafting two radiant stars by accident...definitely not the type of gear a "billionaire" would have...

Hmm. So, you're not a billionaire, eh? Do you remember this post?

04/09/2013 10:55 AMPosted by silverfire
I got some lucky drops, and was able to gear myself to do team uber carries with a CM wiz, then gear myself up enough to do solo carries in the process. I made well over a billion from them, and tbh I think my gear would be leaps and bounds worse than it is if I just played the game conventionally instead of doing carries, not that it's anything special as it is. You never know though, it was by selling a 350M drop that I could even really get started, and I've had a couple of other 9 figure drops since then. I think most people with 70k+ elite kills have made at least a billion or two from drops, if not more. Grinding it out is always an option if you have the time and patience...

So, which post of yours is accurate and which post of yours is bull-poop?
Reply Quote
View profile
Hmm I've definitely considered using a hybrid build before. Didn't like it the first time I tried it. I also don't like using Rend that much, not sure why. I guess I just like using Over Power more. Both of those examples were using a Skorn too, and I prefer duel wielding.
Reply Quote
Look at my gear...yeah, I've got some decent pieces, but I can't even afford to use the same type of gems in all my slots after crafting two radiant stars by accident...definitely not the type of gear a "billionaire" would have...

Hmm. So, you're not a billionaire, eh? Do you remember this post?

04/09/2013 10:55 AMPosted by silverfire
I got some lucky drops, and was able to gear myself to do team uber carries with a CM wiz, then gear myself up enough to do solo carries in the process. I made well over a billion from them, and tbh I think my gear would be leaps and bounds worse than it is if I just played the game conventionally instead of doing carries, not that it's anything special as it is. You never know though, it was by selling a 350M drop that I could even really get started, and I've had a couple of other 9 figure drops since then. I think most people with 70k+ elite kills have made at least a billion or two from drops, if not more. Grinding it out is always an option if you have the time and patience...

So, which post of yours is accurate and which post of yours is bull-poop?

None. I made around 2 billion, and all of that has been spent on gear, and that's around what my gear is worth. If we're doing an audit of my accounts, I'd estimate I've made around a billion from drops, and around a billion from carries. In today's end game, it's not like that's a very big sum. There are a lot active members here that could buy my whole set with a single slot...

I'm not going to sit and cry about being poor either. My gear is far from high-end, and I'm far from the "billionaires" (the ones that sit 10's of billions in their balance waiting to jump on BIS items on d2jsp), but at the same time, RNG has been pretty kind to me, but probably nothing exceptionally lucky. What I said then is the same as I'm saying now. If you rack up the elite kills, you get the drops, slowly and steadily.

Since you're making it personal, if you dig through my post history some more, you'll find me saying several times that when 1.05 hit, I played the game every day with a real life friend who rolled a CM wizard. We'd keyfarm every evening after work, and do ubers for a few hours every weekend. We started at MP5, and slowly worked our way up to MP10 over the course of several months, and this experience was by far the most fun I've had with the game. During that period, both of us made several hundred million purely from drops. No flipping, not even any carries or anything. It was practically like clockwork how our even our rate of progression was. Sometimes I'd have a couple of weeks go by with dry spells, and sometimes him, but overall we were making close to the same amount of gold from drops, and our characters had similar capabilities.

I'm pretty happy with where my character has ended up compared to my time investment. Far from the best, but gets the job done. That's actually why I mostly believe that the game mechanics work fairly decently, even the auction house, as much as most of us hate it. There's usually a pretty strong correlation between elite kills and gear level.

I don't know what I've done to offend you so much other than having an opinion that differs from yours. You've openly attacked me a handful of times now, and I've responded politely every time nevertheless. I still don't mind honestly. How you play is up to you and I have no desire to make any effort to even persuade you to change. But when most people are looking for guides on effective builds, they want them to work smoothly and efficiently. That alone can be a challenge with HotA builds, hence the reason for this FAQ.
Edited by silverfire#1855 on 4/23/2013 12:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
@Corgon - why do you have such a h@rdon for Silverfire? He's helpful in the community, always has advice or offering help, so who pissed in your post toasties??
Edited by Zaknaril#1820 on 4/23/2013 12:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
@Silverfire: in your opinion, which soj would be better for a ww/hota build with no fury generators. I know most would say -hota but I bought +crit hit to ww with the thought that it would be easier to generate fury with more crits. Obviously this would depend a bit. On single target -hota would obviously be the way to go. With multiple target... I guess the +crit to ww would make little difference. (Guess I answered that question for myself).

Now I am sad that I spent soooo much gold on my soj.

You have an amazing ww SoJ. For HotA DPS, yes, a HotA reduction would be better, but with your weapon setup, you're more slanted towards DTWW anyways. You and I use virtually the same build, but you're dual wield with a ww SoJ, and I'm a 2h user with a HotA SoJ. The distinction in playstyle is that I will rely much more on HotA for all of my damage, and use ww only when I have to do a lot of aoe (like dealing with multiple elite packs, and/or kiters. You should be using ww in nearly all cases except for dealing with lone kiting mobs, rare elites, goblins, etc. Consequently, the HotA reduction is less crucial for you. When you're running dry on fury, use whirlwind and OP:KS to generate more. You have to think of ww as your fury generator, not HotA.

This has exactly been my thinking in terms of fury generation. Glad to see you confirming my method - means I am not too far off track.
Edited by Velkroe#2891 on 4/23/2013 12:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote

700m on a 4.5cc critpo is pretty good if it's got the other rolls in the right place. I got my 9ias/3cc/12%l for 240m on bid, if you could even call it that. There was one up on the AH on a Saturday night sitting around 10m less than that, I put in 250m, all I had, before going to bed and woke up with the surprise of seeing it in my inventory. Didn't have the patience to wait till I had the gold to go for a 4+...

And on that note, you don't get the same luxury of writing off the cc in the helm as you do with dual wield DTWW. Crit chance is just too important for HotA upkeep until you're past the cap, which usually takes around 35% from gear. And the sky's the limit if you're not using OP:KS. Chazhang also recommends as much as possible for the purposes of rend, and I think I agree.

04/23/2013 12:26 PMPosted by Darkinsanity
Hmm I've definitely considered using a hybrid build before. Didn't like it the first time I tried it. I also don't like using Rend that much, not sure why. I guess I just like using Over Power more. Both of those examples were using a Skorn too, and I prefer duel wielding.

I have the same feeling personally. Rend should technically be better, but OP:KS feels so much more comfortable since it boosts your CC and doesn't stop your movement the way rend does. After testing both, I didn't notice much of a difference in average kill times between the two, so I'm just going with my personal preference of OP:KS for the time being. I wish I could use both, and HotA.
Edited by silverfire#1855 on 4/23/2013 1:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
not trying to bring a halt to all the great discussion going on here, just wanted to say good job to you, silverfire. there arent really as many valuable sources of info for hota, as there are for ww. well done.
Reply Quote
Hey silverfire, do you think the difference between 4% cc and 4.5% cc will be significant? If I get 4% I can probably fit in a -5 HoTA as well, but if I get 4.5% then I can't.
Reply Quote
I'm guessing you're talking about a mempo. I'd probably go with the 4cc and a -5 SoJ in that case. The ROI for crit mempos just gets worse and worse with every .5% of CC

@Nived thanks bro
Reply Quote
04/23/2013 02:25 PMPosted by silverfire
I'm guessing you're talking about a mempo. I'd probably go with the 4cc and a -5 SoJ in that case. The ROI for crit mempos just gets worse and worse with every .5% of CC

Alrighty, I know what I am going to do :)

thanks
Reply Quote
first of all, I am not the 2h Death legend...

I figured instead of making a new thread I add to this one. I love using HotA for farming, I just hate WW, dancing like a stupid ballerina. So my question is, what do I need to do to my build/gear to improve my farming paragon levels with HotA via Alkaizer runs?

So far I do MP6 runs pretty well, I feel like MP7 is iffy sometimes and I die. I usually keep WotB up 100% except time to time RNG where I see a mob every 50 miles it seems... I have about 370m to upgrade or so, but auction items pending so I can get more gold if they ever sell (200m maybe)... Thanks
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]