Diablo® III

HotA (Hammer of the Ancients) FAQ

I've been loving HOTA/Rend for quite some time. Great thread.

I use this specific build for ubers:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#aZPRQc!YZd!bZcYZZ

When i'm farming mp10 keys i swap out bloodthirst for brawler.

When I farm demonic essence at lower mps, i'll add sprint to replace OP:KS

I've always used dual wield instead of skorn. I just like attack speed more I guess.
Reply Quote
04/23/2013 12:38 PMPosted by Zaknaril
@Corgon - why do you have such a h@rdon for Silverfire? He's helpful in the community, always has advice or offering help, so who pissed in your post toasties??

He's been very arrogant and belittled me in several posts. One thread it got so bad, he finally had to apologize after many called him out for it. He did it again in this thread in his own little way, calling my "spiritless - over defensive" build inefficient and not worthy of advocating. He's playing the "oh, i'm just trying to be helpful" card. Even claiming he's just like the rest of the hard working barbs and is far from a "billionaire" even though he finally admits to making billions.

I'm glad he's helping the community, but things are not quite what they seem.
Reply Quote
Not sure why his in-game wealth is so important to you but sounds to me like you might be a little defensive by nature (no pun intended). Perhaps lighten up a bit?
Reply Quote
View profile
04/23/2013 03:03 PMPosted by Corgon
@Corgon - why do you have such a h@rdon for Silverfire? He's helpful in the community, always has advice or offering help, so who pissed in your post toasties??

He's been very arrogant and belittled me in several posts. One thread it got so bad, he finally had to apologize after many called him out for it. He did it again in this thread in his own little way, calling my "spiritless - over defensive" build inefficient and not worthy of advocating. He's playing the "oh, i'm just trying to be helpful" card. Even claiming he's just like the rest of the hard working barbs and is far from a "billionaire" even though he finally admits to making billions.

grow a pair. this is the internet.

I didnt read his comment that way, but even if it was meant to be an insult, see ^ comment.
Reply Quote
View profile
04/23/2013 03:03 PMPosted by Corgon

Sprint is almost a must if you are running a skorn HOTA, trying to keep up WOTB. Farming that is, ubers, sprint you dont really need if you are using WOTB.

I take his comment as meaning Sprint= more monsters killed (moving from pack to pack faster) = more efficient in terms of kills/min, loots/min.

I find sprint unnecessary in Co-op, unless you are running the group rune, even then.... I take no offense from his post.

If you are talking Co-op builds, where you tank most the damage, defensive skills help, but running solo, you generally opt for more offensive skills over defensive, for faster farming runs. (efficiency)

Also, this thread is still young, he may wish to incorporate more defensive builds later on as it develops, and he gets a feeling what the community is looking for.
Reply Quote

Dude...I made a few blunt posts when I was in a bad mood one night and then apologized the next morning. You're going to keep busting my chops for that? No one's perfect. I said then what I'm saying again though, your playstyle is inefficient and it's not the type that I want to teach to others. Sorry if it offends you but I'm not changing my stance on that just because you don't like it. I called your build "sprintless" because it doesn't have sprint in it lol...how is that remotely offensive?

I was planning this post out in my head for a couple of days, and I was thinking of including a build without sprint and with war cry or overpower:crushing advance at the top, but decided against it...well before you had anything to say on the topic. FWIW I still might write something about it, because it can make sense for keyfarming.

And how is somewhere between 1.5 and 2 billion "billions"? It's about typical for someone who has around 700 hours played on their main like myself. I already explained how I got a billion from drops by playing an MP level that fit me. Perhaps if you tried it you'd have similar results... I'm not "playing" any cards. You got me on one thing though, I'm no "hard working" barb, it's a game, I play it for fun.

You know what, in the back of my head you were practically at the top of the list of people who I thought would be worthy of getting some of the gear from the Skorn vs DW challenge, because you mostly struck me as a solid contributor that could make good use of it. More and more though you're just looking for someone who's looking for attention, for what, I don't even know. It looks like you read every word on the internet that you don't agree with as an attack against you. Let it go already, this thread has nothing to do you with you.
Edited by silverfire#1855 on 4/23/2013 3:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
first of all, I am not the 2h Death legend...

I figured instead of making a new thread I add to this one. I love using HotA for farming, I just hate WW, dancing like a stupid ballerina. So my question is, what do I need to do to my build/gear to improve my farming paragon levels with HotA via Alkaizer runs?

So far I do MP6 runs pretty well, I feel like MP7 is iffy sometimes and I die. I usually keep WotB up 100% except time to time RNG where I see a mob every 50 miles it seems... I have about 370m to upgrade or so, but auction items pending so I can get more gold if they ever sell (200m maybe)... Thanks

First step if you're having survivability issues, swap animosity for superstition. Sometimes I feel like fury is actually even easier with superstition than animosity. It's a great passive. Second, you will likely need to switch OP:KS for rend:bloodlust. Running HotA without rend is very demanding on gear. Things to upgrade, critpo and hota soj, you'd benefit well from either or both.
Reply Quote
View profile
04/23/2013 03:42 PMPosted by silverfire
You know what, in the back of my head you were practically at the top of the list of people who I thought would be worthy of getting some of the gear from the Skorn vs DW challenge, because you mostly struck me as a solid contributor that could make good use of it. More and more though you're just looking for someone who's looking for attention, for what, I don't even know. It looks like you read every word on the internet that you don't agree with as an attack against you. Let it go already, this thread has nothing to do you with you.

NO SOUP FOR YOU!
Reply Quote
@Silverfire: I am curious if you have ever tried frenzy with Hota and your thoughts on that. In theory it seems like it would complement a hota build well (increased attack speed + damage increase -forgot name of rune). I have messed around with it a little bit and while the attack animation is pretty cool (my toon looks like he has some sort of barbarian teretz ) I have not been able to make it work effectively but I blame that on my lack of hota experience.
Reply Quote
04/23/2013 04:11 PMPosted by Velkroe
@Silverfire: I am curious if you have ever tried frenzy with Hota and your thoughts on that. In theory it seems like it would complement a hota build well (increased attack speed + damage increase -forgot name of rune). I have messed around with it a little bit and while the attack animation is pretty cool (my toon looks like he has some sort of barbarian teretz ) I have not been able to make it work effectively but I blame that on my lack of hota experience.

Frenzy only increases attack speed for frenzy itself, not all skills. If it did, it'd be so op that everyone would use it. Maniac increases damage, but not by as much as punish. Still, if you're having fury problems, it's more effective than bash:punish at generating fury, but less effective than bash:instigation. It's not a bad idea to use it instead of bash IMHO. The lack of knockback is what makes it a good option.
Reply Quote
I did not know that about frenzy - its speed boost only applying to frezy. Good to know.
Reply Quote
@Silverfire - It wasn't just that thread. You really slammed me in the Best in Slot thread too, but whatever. I'll call a truce. I get you think my play style is a waste. If the RNG gods were good to me even once, I would be right with the rest of you using an uber Skorn and every offensive skill I could find. The only reason I posted in here to begin with was to try and be helpful to the poor Barbs who wanted to boost their MP level. Dmg Mitigation and Dmg Enhancers can do that.

@Velkroe - Frenzy has a nice speed rune to it as well. Some use Frenzy to boost their fury bubble and then get the benefit of the speed rune. Its not as good as Sprint, but its a cool little way to get a speed boost into your skill set if you don't have room for Sprint. Cleave is also an instant full fury bubble if you use the Reaping Swing rune and are near a mob. I used Cleave/RS quite a bit when I didn't have an SOJ with -HotA and it worked great.
Reply Quote
I've been playing around with my barb a bit, not sure really what direction to take it in. If I get a -4 to HOTA ring would that work wonders for my build? I just noticed I might need an additional IAS from somewhere too in order to hit the 1.83% you recommended with IAS skorn.

I really like the skorn style of play over two 1 handers, hrm... maybe time to try and find a HOTA soj to get me there.
Reply Quote
04/23/2013 04:41 PMPosted by Corgon
@Silverfire - It wasn't just that thread. You really slammed me in the Best in Slot thread too, but whatever. I'll call a truce. I get you think my play style is a waste. If the RNG gods were good to me even once, I would be right with the rest of you using an uber Skorn and every offensive skill I could find. The only reason I posted in here to begin with was to try and be helpful to the poor Barbs who wanted to boost their MP level. Dmg Mitigation and Dmg Enhancers can do that.

Your playstyle is simply too slow to loot effectively. The most reliable way to get that lucky drop is to get as many drops as possible, and boosting your MP level is one of the worst things you can do to that end. As soon as you understand that and drop to a level where you're killing everything swiftly and effortlessly, the drops will come. It is RNG so there are no guarantees but your best bet is to stack the odds as much in favor as possible, and you do that by being efficient. It's that simple.
Reply Quote

I really like the skorn style of play over two 1 handers, hrm... maybe time to try and find a HOTA soj to get me there.

You can get -HotA on Shields, Skull Grasp Ring and a Mara Amulet as well. The SOJ is the most optimal though.
Reply Quote
edit: not even worth it lol

Corgon, stop giving people bad ideas and info please, and learn to take constructive criticism for what it is. fin

On another note, there's really no point in looking for gear with -HoTA on it on shields and/or Mara's, as you're going to take way too large a dps hit by using either of the above with a standard HoTA build. SnB HoTA builds are insanely expensive to gear, even by comparison to finding a decent cold SoJ with -4 to HoTA.
Edited by vnRenshi#1880 on 4/23/2013 5:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The "end game" thread was me searching for what that definition meant. I thought "end game" simply meant being able to play the hardest MP power available. "End game" in the forum however meant having the best of the best equipment. So, now I know.

I'm not spreading misinformation. I am approaching builds and equipment from a different angle. I understand most players struggle for gold and will take weeks/months for them to get enough to buy some of the equipment needed to make some of these builds work. You can't expect a guy who just beat Inferno to be able to hit the 3+ breakpoint or afford Tri gloves and amulets.

Here's something else to consider. Silverfire et al, view this game as a resource generation machine. The more resources you generate per hour, the more 'successful" you are. This is their "efficient" definition. Let's call the amount of monsters you kill per hour the Monsters Per Hour (MPH) factor. So, if I play MP10 and can kill 500 MPH and I can go to MP7 and kill 1000 MPH, I'm far more efficient on MP7. However, you have to also look at your GOALS and the % Bonus for playing at the higher MP level. So, if I was trying for more Magic Find for example, the MP7 MF bonus is (70%) and the MP10 is (100%). That's only a 30% difference, but I can kill 100% more monsters. So, the numbers say, play MP7. Better odds. However, let's say I was trying to gain EXP. The EXP bonus on MP7 is (275%). On MP10 its (510%). That's an 85% gain, so I'm a little better off on MP7, but its much closer. I totally understand the efficient factor and I completely agree that many barbs will want to maximize efficiency. No problem.

However, not everyone plays this game as a resource generator. This is my point. To assume that EVERYONE will WANT to kill as many monsters as possible as quick as possible and no other play style makes any sense is narrow minded. Personally, I get incredibly bored playing this game on a level like MP5 where I can one shot virtually everything. There's no challenge. Its just mindless repetitive clicking. I could watch a TV show and hardly look at the computer and complete a VOTA run in MP5 with no deaths. That is fun to you? Not me. I like the thrill of a possible death and a challenge. I actually like having to avoid Molten/Plague/Constructs and have to dodge their lava balls. I get a sense of accomplishment when I kick all their a$$es on MP10 in the VOTA with no deaths. It keeps the game interesting to me and engaged. I like looting as I go. I enjoy opening a chest and seeing what pops up. This isnt' "efficient" but its a more relaxed play style that suits my tastes. I'm not advocating that every barb should do this, but you know that there are a ton of barbs out there that want to play the MAX MP level ASAP. How many threads are out there that say "Help me get to MP10! What do i need?" If I know a shortcut, why not share it? Is it "efficient" taking up to a minute to kill an elite on MP10? No. Is it fun? For some, you bet! Its just a different way to play the game. I don't think anyone should be ridiculed just because they might like to play the game a little different and get enjoyment out of it due to challenge vs. production.
Reply Quote
I don't think the purpose of informational threads is to give people ideas of what "might be fun" to them. The purpose of these type of threads is to spread valuable information about how to build a barbarian to maximize your xp earning and looting potential with the budget you have, using effective builds to optimize your game time for success, in terms of getting on track to better gear, more gold, and so on.

People are going to figure out what's fun for them on their own. With a solid understanding of what a build is capable of, they're going to be a lot better prepared to figure that out.

And lets not get carried away on your intentions here, you weren't trying to figure out what end game was, you were claiming that being able to kill an elite in mp10 made you end game long before you starting asking what "end game" meant. I can link the thread if you want lol
Reply Quote

And lets not get carried away on your intentions here, you weren't trying to figure out what end game was, you were claiming that being able to kill an elite in mp10 made you end game long before you starting asking what "end game" meant. I can link the thread if you want lol

Right. I thought it meant something different, so I was claiming that I was playing "end game". I misunderstood the definition. That was my bad.
Reply Quote
Corgon you will go to great lengths to defend yourself...it's actually a little bit comical.

Diablo 3 is a treasure hunt...every Diablo game has been...so there's really not much of an "assumption" going on when it comes to efficiency dude. It's a pretty simple equation (for most). The more monsters I can kill the more chances I have for shinies the more monsters I can kill the more xp I can get the more monsters I can kill...etc. etc. etc.

So...stop trying to defend your position because you have no position and you're basically making yourself look more and more foolish as is attacking someone for pointing out the flaws in your thinking and build.

Furthermore, the fact that you continuously point out Silverfire's "wealth", the more ironic your lack of efficiency becomes. Jealous? Then stop being a blockhead and start being more efficient!

That is all.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]