Diablo® III

HotA (Hammer of the Ancients) FAQ

Very good thread, been hoping for FAQ for HOTA and not able to find one till this came. Nice initiative silverfire :)

For me I swap bash out for warcry. I don't use fury generator but I have -HOTA on my SOJ. Before I use warcry I have survival issues on mp10 becos my Vit is not high enough to sustain it seems. Although I will love to be able to drop it one day.

Any suggestions to improve my barb please share with me. Thanks!
Reply Quote
Rant Mode: Off
Efficiency Fight: Concede
Sunshine Mode: On

"The force can not help you unless you use it"

I built an MP9 suit that could take out elites in about 30 seconds for 100 mil. To get a 1 minute kill avg on MP10, it would have cost 200 mil. In every set I've tried to build, HOTA seems to be the cheapest. They aren't efficient builds though. No sprint. Just good/def+survivability and enough DPS to take out elites. Budget builds can't be efficient at high MP levels. Takes too much DPS

Agreed.

It's no coincidence that the mainstay of HotA barbs out there are wearing sets of gear worth hundreds of millions (if not billions). I just don't think it's a viable build in the low to mid tiers of gear.

I'd be surprised to see a 5M set of gear capable of doing MP5 very effectively. Maybe MP1-3 but I'd like to see someone give this a shot. Maybe someone good at gearing cheaply (not me, I am terrible with money)...but I suppose that would need a separate thread (being that this is for HotA) LOL
Reply Quote
@Gladiator
Great barb! Very nice gear!
If you want more ehp, the cheapest upgrades I can suggest is
a) buying Ice climbers with more vit - 170 str/150 vit are under 60m on ah, and
b) Craft vit shoulders - they can roll 500+ str/vit combined
Your other pieces are very cool and wont be cheap to upgrade

On a sidenote, your survivability on mp10 farm should be fine. I feel you got more ehp and sustain then I, and I find problems only in mp10 VOTA with elite blazing guardians and vicious magewraths (those that spin), thats when I dont use warcry. And on mp10 kulle+sb, but that due to rng and lack of experience.
Reply Quote
04/24/2013 05:21 AMPosted by Zaknaril
I'd be surprised to see a 5M set of gear capable of doing MP5 very effectively. Maybe MP1-3 but I'd like to see someone give this a shot. Maybe someone good at gearing cheaply (not me, I am terrible with money)...but I suppose that would need a separate thread (being that this is for HotA) LOL

You'd have to define "effectively". We've been going around hard in this thread about "efficient", so "effective" is a new word and could mean something totally different.

I put together an MP5 suit for just under 10M and ran the VOTA. This is a Sprint/Marathon/HOTA/DW build: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mifOEygNAY

I'm giving that suit away this week by the way in another thread. I think that run is pretty "efficient", at least by my standards.
Reply Quote
Not bad Corgon. Not bad at all. I think a WW build with the same budget would have faster clear times but you did a lot better in that video than I was expecting. At the end of the day though, this thread is about HotA and not a comparison to WW.

If you and Silverfire can get along I would say that you could probably really contribute to this thread. I think the community could benefit from your knowledge of low to mid-tier HotA gearing and builds (as this video is proof you know what you're doing).

Oh and, in this instance, effective = efficient :)
Reply Quote
View profile
Not bad Corgon. Not bad at all. I think a WW build with the same budget would have faster clear times but you did a lot better in that video than I was expecting. At the end of the day though, this thread is about HotA and not a comparison to WW.

If you and Silverfire can get along I would say that you could probably really contribute to this thread. I think the community could benefit from your knowledge of low to mid-tier HotA gearing and builds (as this video is proof you know what you're doing).

Oh and, in this instance, effective = efficient :)

Actually this thread has a lot to do with double nado. If HOTA builds dont clear as quickly as double nado at lower gear tiers, it's important to know.
Reply Quote
Alrighty HotA nerds...got a few questions...

I bought a LS skorn on the GAH that seemed to be a decent deal...but now I'm not so sure i made a wise purchase..

What are some ideal stats I should be looking for in a skorn?

Does the bleed on the skorn itself matter?
Does that stack on top of rend?
Is it more important to have a lower DPS weapon with higher crit damage or is it better to have a higher DPS weapon with lower crit damage (if you had to pick one)?
What is the min amount of lifesteal I should be looking for? I bought one with 6, but now I'm thinking it might be better just to get one that has a bit less with higher dps?

Thanks homies...
Edited by Pri#1584 on 4/24/2013 6:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Actually this thread has a lot to do with double nado. If HOTA builds dont clear as quickly as double nado at lower gear tiers, it's important to know.

I suppose that's true. I'd be interested to see someone put a 10m DTWW set together to see if they can do a MP5 clear faster than Corgon did. I'm certain it would if you had someone who knew what they were doing behind the wheel...
Reply Quote
04/24/2013 07:07 AMPosted by Zaknaril

I suppose that's true. I'd be interested to see someone put a 10m DTWW set together to see if they can do a MP5 clear faster than Corgon did. I'm certain it would if you had someone who knew what they were doing behind the wheel...

Storm could put together great DTWW sets that could compare to what I did with that DW/HOTA build, but his cost 25 Mil and mine cost 9.8M. He was pretty adamant that an efficient DTWW build can't be done for under 25Mil in the mid MP levels because you need to hit certain speed breakpoints on that build and it can't be accomplished without forking over some jack.
Edited by Corgon#1140 on 4/24/2013 7:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Is it more important to have a lower DPS weapon with higher crit damage or is it better to have a higher DPS weapon with lower crit damage (if you had to pick one)?
What is the min amount of lifesteal I should be looking for? I bought one with 6, but now I'm thinking it might be better just to get one that has a bit less with higher dps?

I'm no HotA nerd but I'm a Skorn user so I'll take a stab at it:

1. Sure it does, but it's probably not something to base a purchase decision on, unless the damage is just unusually low.
2. Yes
3. My rule of thumb has been to shoot for 1300+ DPS and 150+ CD. If I had to pick one I'd go with higher DPS since the damage range is what skills like Rend and HotA are based on.
4. I think this question is probably more specific for HotA users as only they know what sustain you'll get from the LS but I would think the answer would depend on what other sustain gear/skills you're going to be using. If you want to maximize DPS then obviously higher LS on the Skorn frees up your belt slot (for a WH) and allows you to use another offensive passive. I would think 5 LS would be sufficient (especially if you're using Rend).

Hope this helps and maybe a HotA barb can answer them a little more specifically.
Reply Quote
Storm could put together great DTWW sets that could compare to what I did with that DW/HOTA build, but his cost 25 Mil and mine cost 9.8M. He was pretty adamant that an efficient DTWW build can't be done for under 25Mil in the mid MP levels because you need to hit certain speed breakpoints on that build and it can't be accomplished without forking over some jack.

I'm not convinced it can't be done. If I had 10m I would try to put a set together just to prove it but I am broke as a joke HAHA
Reply Quote

I bought a LS skorn on the GAH that seemed to be a decent deal...but now I'm not so sure i made a wise purchase..

Thanks homies...

Personally, I haven't noticed much effect at all of Bleed. I mean, usually you are talking up to 10,000 hp of dmg over 5 seconds. It would only help you on like MP0. Otherwise, monsters have way more hp for that to even matter. I'm not sure how it falls into the multipliers and dmg calcuations. Some calculators just completely ignore its effect

On the DPS vs. Crit Dmg, I would use a calculator for that. It's kind of a build dependent question. I like d3up.com for that type of scenario since it shows the actual dps gain per point of extra dmg or stat gain. You can customize your Skorn and play with different stats to see the best combination. When I'm shopping for budget builds, I'll create a weapon's stats off the AH and put it into a build to see the effect before I buy. Can save you from making bonehead purchases that hurt your build.
Edited by Corgon#1140 on 4/24/2013 7:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Ah... I probably just made one of the worst choices lol

Bought a SoJ with

Cold
+14 fury (not 15 :( )
26% Bonus
-4 HoTA

Was 280m lol. No idea why I pulled the trigger.
Reply Quote

Thanks homies...

The bleed matters, but not much, and not enough to factor into the buying price. If it has a higher roll its nice, but as Corgon pointed out, on higher MPs it's negligible damage.

Again I agree with him as far as using a calculator to see which would give you more DPS. However if pressed between the two I would probably lean towards one with higher crit damage. Since the goal in a HotA build is usually to have 100% crit chance, higher crit damage will result in an overall boost in sustained damage since pretty much every strike should be critting.

Lifesteal depends on your survivability with your other gear, but overall I prefered looking at 5.5 or better. Maybe 5.0 at the bare minimum. When you figure with the DTWW build you tend to go with IK Belt (2.8-3.0) and either a LS Weapon or Bloodthirst, you end up with somewhere between 5.5 and 6.0 lifesteal. However for you personally you may be able to get by with less since your gear is already a a pretty high level. Gearing yourself for 2.86 in WW will make using Skorn a lot easier with all that AS already stacked.

Bought a SoJ with

Cold
26% Bonus
-4 HoTA

I dunno if I'd say *worst* choice. I guess it depends on where your budge was, but a cold -HotA SoJ is by far the BiS item for a DW/HotA hybrid. You keep the cold snare to keep EF fears in check, and you get a massive boost to HotA uptime. I just picked up a 6/27/-4 HotA soj (non cold) and it made world's of difference for the HotA fury drain. I feel way, way more efficient now. Eventually I'd like to get one with cold damage, but obviously they cost quite a bit more, and I feel way more effective overall with the HotA bonus rather than the snare.

I think for a -4 / 25+ cold SoJ, you got a decent deal.
Reply Quote
@Spyky That build does work great for ubers. Used it myself a few months ago and loved it for the simple fact that could just stunlock kulle and not have to run around chasing him.

I haven't seen anybody in this thread mention -hota skull grasps. HoTA DPS goes way up if you can keep a maxed out fury globe, which opens the door for the Berserker Rage passive. I'm currently loving the !@#$ out of -9 HoTA from a skull grasp and SoJ pair and recommend others give it a try.

There are more effective ways to keep a full fury globe IMHO than to go past 5 reduction. Unsurprisingly, you can't use WotB:ToC with your setup. HotA Skull Grasps are a boutique item worth hundreds of millions on their own and not something that I'd generally recommend unless you really want to commit to a very pure HotA build without WotB as you have. On your budget, I'd rather use a DTWW/HotA hybrid with 5 reduction. Just my opinion. Would you be able to post some videos of your unique setup? I've tried 9 reduction myself, but as I said, WotB was borderline impossible to hold, and I didn't like it at all.

One quick tip --

HotA/WW hybrid builds are not particularly efficient at either elite smashing or trash killing. But they do both in the same run relatively well.

One way to make it feel more efficient/less clunky is to drop MP 1-2 levels. Trash will die just as fast, and elites will die much much faster with HotA.

A HotA build with sprint will have 2 out of the 3 of OP:KS, bash and rend (usually the latter two). A DTWW hybrid will have one out of the two. Not a tremendous loss in damage. Assuming that you're killing elites in the territory of 20 seconds, the missing second skill will likely only penalize you by a second or two at worst.

@Pri generally CD, while it is very important for HotA and rend, tends to be overvalued on the auction house. From what I've seen, anything past 5.5% LS is priced around the same, so I was patient and sprung for a 6 myself...but honestly I couldn't tell any difference between my weapon and the 5.2% LS one that I got for the contest. The most cost-effective choice is to sacrifice some LS % and CD% in favor of weapon damage.

Regarding all of the posts about budget sets, I'm wearing a 5M pure HotA set which needs no fury generator and can do MP3 alkaizer runs in 10 minutes without wotb. (I have a really bad video posted on post 94) For the same budget, I can clock pretty much the same time with DTWW and use DTWW/rend/HotA with that set as well. What's interesting is how relatively unimportant WotB is if you can permanently maintain sprint:marathon, especially if you combo in furious charge. Won't be able to see Corgon's video for a few hours, but I'm not surprised that an MP5 viable set is doable for 15M. To throw out a number randomly, my guess is about 20M would be needed for quick farming with DTWW, but if you use a mighty weapon mainhand (which I love doing on budget sets), adding in HotA to the build is no problem. So DTWW/HotA hybrids are certainly not reserved for the wealthy, as long as you're willing to stay in a mid/low MP.

Bought a SoJ with

Cold
26% Bonus
-4 HoTA

The price is right for what it is. I personally feel that cold is grossly overvalued for builds not using an echoing fury. Since you're using one, it's probably worthwhile if you want the quality of life.

Very good thread, been hoping for FAQ for HOTA and not able to find one till this came. Nice initiative silverfire :)

For me I swap bash out for warcry. I don't use fury generator but I have -HOTA on my SOJ. Before I use warcry I have survival issues on mp10 becos my Vit is not high enough to sustain it seems. Although I will love to be able to drop it one day.

Any suggestions to improve my barb please share with me. Thanks!

Use superstition instead of animosity and you should be able to drop war cry.

On a sidenote, I did try a -3 hota/29% Hota SoJ last week and timed my Ghom run to test its effectiveness. For what the SoJ is worth, I have to say that it didn't improve my time by much vs a standard 29% SoJ.

HotA reduction will make next to no difference on Ghom if you're using superstition.
Edited by silverfire#1855 on 4/24/2013 10:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Honestly at first I wanted to get a normal 27%+ with -5, but I noticed this one and thought it was a good deal I guess. I have a cold WW SoJ as well that I bought last night, so I don't know what got into me. I can probably sell back the HoTA SoJ, but I rather not take a 15% fee hit unless it sells for a ridiculously high price.
Reply Quote
View profile
OK after playing with my new -5 soj, everyone has to know one thing: spam BR. I was having a really $hitty time keeping up wrath vs both ubers and Elite. Once I realized I had to spam almost as bad as a CM wiz, the problems were fixed.

edit: now if i can figure out how to stay alive doing ubers with 700k ehp....damn this witching hour.
Edited by PhatPhoEater#1370 on 4/24/2013 1:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
[quote]
Won't be able to see Corgon's video for a few hours, but I'm not surprised that an MP5 viable set is doable for 15M.

The actual cost of that set was 9,856,059
Reply Quote
OK after playing with my new -5 soj, everyone has to know one thing: spam BR.

Seems like my -4 wasn't a bad choice then :D

Still waiting impatiently for my mempo after 3hrs... fricken blizzard needs to fix their system.
Reply Quote
View profile
04/24/2013 01:38 PMPosted by xxxkan
OK after playing with my new -5 soj, everyone has to know one thing: spam BR.

Seems like my -4 wasn't a bad choice then :D

Still waiting impatiently for my mempo after 3hrs... fricken blizzard needs to fix their system.

maybe we can trade to test and see how the other feels. I will say that the -5 lets me keep wrath better on vota runs compared to my -3.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]