Diablo® III

Team Skorn vs Team Dual Wield...The giveaway!

@ Silverfire

Mate, I'm just messing with you too. You are always a gentleman :). And yes, I agree that Skorn would probably win out, but it is an unanswered question that would be interesting to explore. I see the Phat is still adamant that DW would win out at this price range.

well, silver let me borrow some of your gear on the PTR and I still couldnt beat his average skorn times. It seems that ubers and high end gear is a good setup for DW as described by several players. However, the same level gear for farming mp10 elites suffers from the inevitable fear proc which brings average kill times down.

I did about 6 runs with Morph's gear and averaged around 17s. IIRC Silver's average with skorn and the same set is around 15s.

At the 100m tier, I still plan on piecing together a DW set to see how it would compare to the 100m set corgon put together. As Silver mentioned, it seems my expereince with DW hota may not be representative of most people since my crafted gear is unique in that none of it has IAS. Shopping the AH to take advantage of similar stats is impossible.

@PhatPhoEater

Sorry mate, not sure how I missed this.

It still leaves the question of how well a DW Hota setup would have performed in the Challenge. Would you be interested in putting together a DW Hota setup following the same rules as Nived and Silverfire? We can then put it through it's paces and maybe ask Death if he would consider doing some times with it, he has become our resident professional gear tester :). If possible however, would you also be able to design it so that it hits the 2.5 BP. I'd like it to be flexible also. I'm thinking about selecting a MVP from this new Noob Challenge and giving it as a prize.
Reply Quote
And we go to the next challenge.

Congratulations to the MP8 PTR challenge winners. Those 1b sets were really powerful for the price paid. Good luck!!!

@Morpheus, items in the PTR AH seem to be a huge issue for the new challenge. Will it be worthwhile to organize a similar contest to what we had (DW vs Skorn)?

My thoughts:

1) We make only 1 set (either DW or Skorn)
2) Maybe 1B for one set?
3) Let's say that a noob who learnt from the DW vs Skorn is given the gearer job. His/her job will be to follow the DW vs Skorn philosophies as close as possible and explain the gear choices. This will be a great example of learning from others.
4) The gear is given to each contestant for 2 days much like the earlier contest. And they need to post times. Or we can make the contestants do only one full run, so we can cut down to 1 day per contestant to post results.
5) The rest of the rules will be same and the best times will win the 1B set.

I believe the PTR will limit resources and learning in terms of gearing. Playing is perfect on the PTR what with duplicate copies of gear and such. However, gearing may not be great in PTR AH.

My two cents.
Edited by Anwin#6258 on 5/1/2013 11:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Hi Anwin

Good to see you :). That certainly is an option but we've just finished a challenge where the contestants are doing runs in the same gear for the fastest times so this is a little too similar for my liking. I'd also like to see how a 5 or 6 newer players go through the gearing experience as opposed to just one. There will be more good choices and mistakes made the more gearers there are and so allows us to examine the good and bad choices amongst the players.

The perfect situation would be to give each player 1B in game but I'm not quite going to fund this :). Whereas the PTR is very wonky, it will be the same for each player and I think it is the process as well as the end result that counts.

Still giving all of this consideration though so please keep suggestions coming. Thanks, as always, for your input.
Reply Quote
@Morpheus: Went inside the mystical world of PTR for the first time and man oh man you guys were not kidding when you said the AH is a bit wonky. It's completely bonkers :D

Regular STR mempo's were at 50mil :P the non cc ones. yes the ones with 190str.

IK Gloves were hardly 10 in total.

I gave up after that :P

I guess in the game AH, we were constrained by the budget and choices were aplenty but in the PTR when you are giving such a big budget we hardly have any choices :P

So its going to be a battle of luck more than skill. I mean there was a IK chest armor with 170str and 215vit for just 30mil. That would be a good buy but we have to be lucky to get such gear in all slots. Or we have to go to battle with a 800dps mace with life steal :(

Gearing is going be key with the limited choice available. Players are not going to get what they had planned for and have to reshuffle priorities and stats. So here's to the lucky one...may you win :D
Reply Quote
Yeah. Wonky is a good way to put it. To be fair though, it's also wonky to just give us 1 billion in in-game gold, just in a different sense of the word. Confining this to the PTR is still the most practical. At least the wonkiness will add to the challenge.

I just hope that both teams will be able to assemble two working sets of gear.
Reply Quote
@Auron: You put it that way it does make sense :D Not many like ole Morph around :)

And is it going to be teams again? Thought it was open season time...
Reply Quote
Gentlemen,

After a bit of soul-searching I have decided to back out of the upcoming PTR finale. It truly does interest me, and the thought of competing in an event that is designed to strain our in-game skill as well as the gearing techniques by legends such as Nived and silver sounds like it would be the most fun I've ever had in Daiblo.

Unfortunately, I have to let responsibility and real life win this round. I'm getting married on the 25th, moving into a new apartment on the 10th, and studying for three exams in order to be a financial planner somewhere between all of those. Suffice it to say, I'm busy. However, the events up to this date have been a blast and I am so thankful that I had an opportunity to vie for some pretty wicked gear. Seeing my character crit for 1.5 million damage made everything worth it.

@Morpheus, best of luck with the next event. The amount of coordination to pull everything off thus far has been no small feat. Thanks for the opportunity to learn, and for giving this board something to be excited about.

@Death, thanks for the streams and the insight into the world of high-end barbing; you're a freakin champ! I'll be sure to get on the PTR at some point tonight (10pm EST) to pass that Skorn Team copy over to you.

@the other competitors, great job in all the events and best of luck to those about to keep at it!

Thanks for the ride. I'll be around and on as much as she'll let me soon ;)
Edited by Auron#1777 on 5/2/2013 11:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
@ Auron

I have always enjoyed your comments and participation. You will be missed but yes, you have much greater responsibilities :). Please do pop in occassionally though, it would be great to see you.

@ Noobs

I hope you all don't mind me using the term "Noobs" as most of you aren't at all, just a term of endearment though :). Anyway, the state of the AH PTR does trouble me and I have been considering another format.

There will once again be two teams, though I'm not sure whether to enforce the DW v Skorn weapon choices. 1B gold will be given to each team in the real game. The team as a whole will be responsible for the gearing, seeking advice from the community where ever they see the need.

There will be a leader of each team, of which demonknight will be one as I have previously promised him this position. This was originally going to be purely his Challenge. The leader of the winning team will get to keep that teams gear set. The losing team will hand over their gearset to the winning team and this will be distributed amongst the remaining members of the winning team.

What think you all? And if we did continue with the Skorn v DW theme, who of the remaining players would be willing to join which team?
Edited by Morpheus#6524 on 5/2/2013 6:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
this sounds like another great chalange morph, can't wait to see how it goes :)
Reply Quote
@ Auron

I have always enjoyed your comments and participation. You will be missed but yes, you have much greater responsibilities :). Please do pop in occassionally though, it would be great to see you.

@ Noobs

I hope you all don't mind me using the term "Noobs" as most of you aren't at all, just a term of endearment though :). Anyway, the state of the AH PTR does trouble me and I have been considering another format.

There will once again be two teams, though I'm not sure whether to enforce the DW v Skorn weapon choices. 1B gold will be given to each team in the real game. The team as a whole will be responsible for the gearing, seeking advice from the community where ever they see the need.

There will be a leader of each team, of which demonknight will be one as I have previously promised him this position. The leader of the winning team will get to keep that teams gear set. The losing team will hand over their gearset to the winning team and this will be distributed amongst the remaining members of the winning team.

What think you all? And if we did continue with the Skorn v DW theme, who of the remaining players would be willing to join which team?

Mmh, that sounds interesting, I want to be the 2nd team leader if you don't mind.
Reply Quote
@ kluno

I think the fairest way to choose the second team leader would be a battle of strength. Once the sets are purchased, all three members get to have 1 run with the set and fastest time becomes team leader. Would you be willing to be in Team DW?
Reply Quote
@ kluno

I think the fairest way to choose the second team leader would be a battle of strength. Once the sets are purchased, all three members get to have 1 run with the set and fastest time becomes team leader. Would you be willing to be in Team DW?

The battle of strength sounds good, but has it need to be DW vs Skorn? As it has been proven, skorn will win over against DW for 1 bil buget.

For the battle of strength, since all 3 team member need to do the uber run and provide time, why not just make it free for all, and team competition.

so 2 teams, each 3 member, they use 1 bil to buy gear and try to do uber like the original competition, each member will need to provide 1 uber run with time.

But the uber time is free for all competition, out of 6 people, the shortest time will win the gear.

The shortest time of the winner team will get to keep the losing teams gear and distribute between the rest of the 2 team member.

So no team leader for any team.

What do you think of that?
Reply Quote
The battle of strength sounds good, but has it need to be DW vs Skorn? As it has been proven, skorn will win over against DW for 1 bil buget.

Agree with kluno on this point. The vids have shown there is at least ~20-25% time difference between DW and Skorn sets at the 1b budget range. Unless you're planning to give a handicap to the DW team, I don't think there would be any point to this exercise.
Reply Quote
Hi Guys

Yes, I agree that with the Challenge gearsets, the advantage is with Skorn. One of the reasons for this however is that Nived was specifically asked to gear for WW builds as opposed to DW Hota which, as zylog demonstrated even with a non-optimized build, was a more effective build. Guys like PhatPhoEater and Jim are still adamant that DW Hota would beat Skorn Hota at this price range and it would be interesting to see the comparison. I am however considering giving DW Team an extra 100M gold. Still considering a lot of things actually. The competition won't be starting this weekend, we have a few things to sort out first :).

Keep your thoughts coming :)
Reply Quote
I would be rather interested in seeing how a DW set built with DW hota in mind would perform relative to the equivalent skorn build
Reply Quote
@Demonknight and Auron
lol at calling shark an old lazy noob like me :)

@Morpheus
Grea idea! Real game comptition is better, cause at least players keep exp and loot they gained.
I am up for any challenge you have in mind, and if Skorn vs DW id stick with Skorn.
Reply Quote
@ Morpheus and all,

Count me in for the new challenge, though I have to admit that I like the new direction it's turning. My next 3 weeks are particularly busy, and I was worried about finding the time to research, gear, test, and compete. However, the team-based would still let me contribute online, even times I can't get in-game.... a little more of a subordinate role sounds right up my alley.

So, if you'll still have me, I'll participate... place me on either side as needed
Reply Quote
@Morpheus

Just throwing out ideas. How about something like this:

1. Start it off as a collaborative effort. All of us participate in the gearing process, but appoint demonknight as the "official" gearer for both sets. We'll give our input on the set, but final choice/snipe/purchase will be down to demonknight (since he's the original guppy of our little group :P).

2. Week A will be for a Skorn set. Once demonknight has made the purchase within the stipulated time, everyone will make some runs and post their time (as per the old challenge rules). Skorn set to be handed to you before you release the budget for the DW set.

3. Week B will be for a DW set. Same as above.

4. Times for both runs will be averaged. The person with the best average time would get to pick the set he wants. The other set could maybe be pieced out to the other participants (e.g. 2nd place picks 2-3 pieces, then 3rd place 2-3 pieces, and so forth). Last place gets the leftover.
Reply Quote
@ Noobs

Eclipse, that's an interesting thought. I still like the idea of two separate teams though as this places a little more pressure and competition on the competitors between teams. If everyone is acting as an individual, this makes it less appealing for me as I like the commeraderie within teams (and also the banter between teams :).

The main area of balance I see is that, it seems as though at a 1B price point, Skorn will have the advantage. This however is still under debate as very knowledgable players such as PhatPhoEater still think that DW will have the advantage here if properly geared as a Hota setup as opposed to the WW setup that Nived was asked to create. As it stands though, I can see people's reluctance to be in the DW team.

I could of course just pick at random and if you don't want to participate, that's fine. Or I could try to even the sides a bit. Options as I see them currently:

1. Pick 2 sides at random
2. Offer an incentive to join Team DW, say each team member gets and extra 100M gold win, lose or draw
3. Increase the budget for Team DW to say.... 1.1B
4. Incorporate some of Eclipse's ideas. Swap sets at half time. This takes away somewhat from the gearing competition as, no matter how well or badly you gear, you get to use both sets anyway. Maybe instead of adding times together, this could have the format that, if you beat the other teams time, you get a 30s advantage to your own time.

My thoughts currently.

theyelladart has put his hand up to be on either team. Any other volunteers for Dual Wield?
Edited by Morpheus#6524 on 5/3/2013 9:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I think if we didn't build the sets properly, we would get our !@#$ handed back to us on a silver platter 10/10. lol

I'll most likely be with team DW since I'm more familiar with DW (only time I used a Skorn was for ww/rend trash farming to 100) unless you want to throw me to team Skorn just to see if I sink or swim. lol
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]