Diablo® III

Constructive look @ PoE and D3

Although the huge skill tree, amazing PvP and complex itemisation in Path of Exile is fresh and admirable, the actual gameplay leaves lots to be desired. The animations, responsiveness and combat pace is just not fluid or polished enough to be compared to Diablo 3. Don't get me wrong I actually love PoE and play it regularly, it just lacks the amazing game engine that keeps me coming back to Diablo, something to be expected from an intimate indie dev as opposed to a AAA+ one.

There are a handful of amazing features PoE offers that downright put Diablo 3 to shame, but the aforementioned gameplay elements are more integral to the ARPG experience and therefore make D3 the better game in my eyes. This goes without saying that Grinding Gear Games have done an absolutely phenomenal job at developing PoE over the past 4-5 years.

So what would I like to see in Diablo that Path of Exile does better?

The biggest feature I'd love to see in Diablo 3 that thrives in PoE is the incredible structured PvP. Here we have events (races), ladders, and a hugely diverse and competitive community, all aspects that would help repair the quickly disintegrating social front found in our beloved Diablo.

I would also like to say the itemisation and skill tree found in PoE would be a welcome addition, but integrating a similarly complex system into D3 at this point is unrealistic and would require a complete reset of the game's player base progression and economy. That said, the upcoming itemisation changes in 1.09 look extremely promising. Here's hoping that we are finally excited about drops again (and no more of those silly 'broken' stat rolls; WD skills and Str on a crossbow anyone?). This is what I hope the team works on the most, giving us some much needed diversity in the items and skills we find viable. I'm most interested to see how the low level legendaries perform with endgame stat rolls.

On a somewhat unrelated note, wouldn't it be great to see what the expac is going to offer? My personal expac wish list is so big it would require a whole new thread.

TL;DR- You're lazy, and probably wouldn't contribute much to the thread anyway. ;)
Edited by DamienJohn#1321 on 4/24/2013 11:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
it seems we can have great skills and items or great gameplay, but not both :/
there's still hope for diablo b.c the basics are there, we *just* need item and skill workout.
not so sure about PoE.
Reply Quote
Well PoE is still undergoing heavy development, patches are usually released weekly with lots of tweaks and in-game changes. It's a very promising development. But despite the improvements the game engine is still as sluggish as it was when the beta went live over a year ago.

I'm interested to hear what people like about PoE and if they'd like to see similar features in D3. Has anyone else taken part in the PoE PvP tournaments? Something like this in Diablo wold be phenomenal. At least give us leaderboards, right?!!
Reply Quote
04/24/2013 11:38 AMPosted by DamienJohn
The biggest feature I'd love to see in Diablo 3 that thrives in PoE is the incredible structured PvP. Here we have events (races), ladders, and a hugely diverse and competitive community, all aspects that would help repair the quickly disintegrating social front found in our beloved Diablo.

Like I've offered up before. Blizz should be adding in tons of content and multiple ways to play PvP.

4 player versions 8 player versions. Different maps. modes where monsters are mixed into the map.

Ladders, endless dungeons, better chat channels. There are tons of ideas and just like it was when D2 was the game.. They don't implement even half of it and D3 just stays "good".
Reply Quote
You can like or dislike PoE or Diablo III, but there is a fact i really, really don't understand:

PoE have patches EVERY WEEK (at least), in those patch they add EVERY TIME content like new legendaries, new skills, besides little balancing, improving artwork, events (what they call races) with original and funny rules (faster mobs, players can't do projectile damage, totems everywhere..), and so on...

D3 patches takes months to release, and we got only number changes, fancy battle.net, very poor PvP and, sit down, IDENTIFY ALL.

Without saying wich game do you prefer, can someone explain to me how an indenpendant team of like 20 people can make a better and a faster job than a billion dollars company? Because that's really beyond my understanding.
That's a true question.
Edited by Shimeone#2905 on 4/24/2013 2:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Tried PoE but I don't like the loot of it graphics/environment/character model wise (understandable with it being an indie game not fully done).

Otherwise D3... it will take a bit of work to get me to come back and actually be impressed with the game.

Right now I'm playing Titan Quest Soul Vizier mod while waiting for Grim Dawn alpha (less then 2 weeks before release).
Reply Quote
Without saying wich game do you prefer, can someone explain to me how an indenpendant team of like 20 people can make a better and a faster job than a billion dollars company? Because that's really beyond my understanding.
That's a true question.

I totally agree.
Reply Quote
In regards to "fluid game play, etc" Blizzard does have the financial suport and time to work on polishing game unlike smaller companies. That said compared to previous Blizz titles like Starcraft and warcraft, they are still a lot of bugs in D3 (especially after updates). I have no idea about WoW, but this is the first time i have had so many problems with the programing and scripting of a Blizzard game.

Where the Diablo 3 team really dropped the ball is the creativity and gameplay. Yes, combat is smooth, but its so mindlessly boring. Besides the AH, theres nothing really special about D3, in fact its plainly inferior as a real game.

So in order to make a polished game, you need the backing of a rich publisher. However if you want their suport, you have to give the publishers final say and all they are interested in is squeezing every penny they can off gamers. What would you do if you were one of the developers?

Anyways talking (and listening) about the same things for over half a year, i'm ready to pick a new hobby.

Edit: What can the expansion offer? Things that was in D2 and should have been in D3 during launch? Blizzard used to be able to offer us things we can only dream of. Now they just tell you what you cant have...
Edited by TheCursed#6888 on 4/25/2013 12:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
my feedback on poe:

the game is so good I have to uninstall to not damage my real life
Reply Quote
04/25/2013 12:07 AMPosted by TheCursed
Edit: What can the expansion offer? Things that was in D2 and should have been in D3 during launch? Blizzard used to be able to offer us things we can only dream of. Now they just tell you what you cant have...

So true, Diablo 3 should already have had the aspects of Diablo 2 that made the game so good.

After having those aspects in D3 then you need features that are completely unique to D3 and evolve the franchise.

Essentially Diablo 3 was released with hardly anything that came from Diablo 2, and it hardly evolved the franchise in adding new elements that made the jump between Diablo 1 and Diablo 2 so noticeable.

When I look at Diablo 3 all I see is Blizzard remaking Diablo 2 with new classes, story and graphics.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]