Diablo® III

when does an item roll?

So I need some clarification on when exactly an item's affixes are determined: at the moment it hits the ground, or the moment it's ID'ed?
Higher MP's have a higher chance to give 6 affixes on rares no? So if an item isn't rolled until it's ID'ed wouldn't it make more sense to stock up on un-ID'ed items in MP 1 and then ID them in MP 10?
I always believed the item rolled the moment it dropped but some players have led me to believe otherwise.
Any insight about the mechanics of this are greatly appreciated,
Reply Quote
When it hits the ground. You can't game the system.
Reply Quote
glad to hear it
Reply Quote
Stats are determined on monster kill. The stats are just as set-in-stone before the item is id-ed as after.
Reply Quote
Anyone have proof of this, as it's not the way it worked in D2.
Reply Quote
04/23/2013 04:55 PMPosted by Surt

Well, I know when a Legendary drops the Star shows up before the beam of light appears. So that tells me the item is already rolled upon Monster death.

CMs have said that the item is rolled upon Monster death.

Not sure any other way to prove it.

This is not D2. Sorry.
Reply Quote
It is easily provable that the item is not "rolled" on ID, because of some people exploiting on the PTR, duping an UNID item onto the PTR servers to find out definitively what it is.

So, don't worry about it, the item is determined on drop. As the wiz said, you can't game the system.
Reply Quote
04/23/2013 04:55 PMPosted by Surt

Yes that IS the way it works in D2!
Items roll on drop from monster, Not on ID'ing.
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
Items roll their stats the moment they are dropped, and identifying them has no effect on those stats. If you want to read a little more about items, here is a link to the Items and Equipment section of the game guide, also here is a link to a player written guide.
Reply Quote
04/23/2013 05:14 PMPosted by sheltem

+1
Reply Quote
04/23/2013 05:53 PMPosted by Grimiku
Items roll their stats the moment they are dropped, and identifying them has no effect on those stats.

Please ask the website people to place this info in the Game Guide!
TY
Reply Quote
04/23/2013 05:14 PMPosted by sheltem

Items roll on drop from monster, Not on ID'ing.

Pretty sure otherwise, as I wrote a lot of that code. Maybe it changed after I left (post .07) though.
Reply Quote
04/23/2013 05:53 PMPosted by Grimiku
Items roll their stats the moment they are dropped, and identifying them has no effect on those stats. If you want to read a little more about items, here is a link to the [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/"]Items and Equipment [/url]section of the game guide, also here is a link to a player written [url="http://diablo3blog.blogspot.com/2012/06/diablo-3-item-primer.html"]guide[/url].

I have one question. With oncoming itemization changes we will see less dropped items at all, but they will have better stats. Based on linked guide dropped item become legendary after determined type of item roll its quality. Less drops - less legendaries? Or legendaries will get increased drop chance to balance this changes? Sorry for my english =)
Reply Quote
i also have to question this comment
When 1.05 was released (they changed legendary items tto be way better but i cant remember what patch it was) it was said that any leg item picked up and ID'd would be the 1.04 but if you held on to the Unid item and id'd it after patch it would get the new affixes for 1.05 so i think they get there affixes once id'd,
Reply Quote
if items get their affixes once id... what would be the purpose of magic find...... i mean you get an item, put on your mf gear and id it....
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]