Diablo® III

What does holy dmg do in my SoJ??

I have a holy dmg soj but not sure what does it do to my build... anyone with any idea that can help? thanks
Reply Quote
The SoJ (and other % elemental damage modifiers) adds x% to your total damage where x is your physical damage. Since you are using a Calamity which is totally physical, and you have a ruby in it, which also adds physical damage. A SoJ will add 5 or 6% (depending on the SoJ) to your total damage as the element stated on the SoJ (holy in your case).

If you use skills which do no specify an element (e.g. Hungering Arrow - Spray of Teeth), that damage will be about 95% physical and 5% holy (or more flavors if you have other elemental damage equipment). Whereas if you use a skill which specifies the element (e.g. Elemental Arrow - Ball Lightning), all your damage is converted to the specified element (including the small holy component).

I hope this clarifies the issue. Also, weapons like Manticores which are roughly 1/3rd poison and 2/3rds physical, only benefit from the physical part so % elemental bonuses are less useful for those weapons.

Lastly, contrary to popular belief, there are enemies which have specific elemental resistances and as a result take 1/2 damage from those elements. For example, Blazing Guardians take 1/2 damage from fire, thus Bola Shot - Volatile Explosives do 1/2 damage to them. Also, because of that fire resistance, fire elemental SoJs will only provide HALF the bonus to the fire damage for them! That is, if you say have 100k physical dps with no ring, and thus 106k dps with a fire SoJ, you will effectively only have 103k dps against Blazing Guardians if you use an ability like Hungering Arrow - Spray of Teeth (mix of physical and fire), have 106k dps using something like Elemental Arrow - Ball Lightning (all non-fire), and 53k dps using something like Bola Shot - Volatile Explosives (all fire).
Reply Quote
so if im using calamity and using bola=thunderball, whats the best soj element wise should i go for?
Reply Quote
05/01/2013 04:39 PMPosted by Mamuke
so if im using calamity and using bola=thunderball, whats the best soj element wise should i go for?

Any, they are all the same. All damage will be converted to lightning anyways.
Reply Quote
Cold is the best because you can use cull of the weak and gain 15% total dmg from SoJ
Reply Quote
Iria, do you have any more info about monster immunities, perhaps a link?
Reply Quote
omg! this helps me a lot in understanding these things! thank you so much guys! esp Iria! good info!
Reply Quote
The SoJ (and other % elemental damage modifiers) adds x% to your total damage where x is your physical damage. Since you are using a Calamity which is totally physical, and you have a ruby in it, which also adds physical damage. A SoJ will add 5 or 6% (depending on the SoJ) to your total damage as the element stated on the SoJ (holy in your case).

If you use skills which do no specify an element (e.g. Hungering Arrow - Spray of Teeth), that damage will be about 95% physical and 5% holy (or more flavors if you have other elemental damage equipment). Whereas if you use a skill which specifies the element (e.g. Elemental Arrow - Ball Lightning), all your damage is converted to the specified element (including the small holy component).

I hope this clarifies the issue. Also, weapons like Manticores which are roughly 1/3rd poison and 2/3rds physical, only benefit from the physical part so % elemental bonuses are less useful for those weapons.

Lastly, contrary to popular belief, there are enemies which have specific elemental resistances and as a result take 1/2 damage from those elements. For example, Blazing Guardians take 1/2 damage from fire, thus Bola Shot - Volatile Explosives do 1/2 damage to them. Also, because of that fire resistance, fire elemental SoJs will only provide HALF the bonus to the fire damage for them! That is, if you say have 100k physical dps with no ring, and thus 106k dps with a fire SoJ, you will effectively only have 103k dps against Blazing Guardians if you use an ability like Hungering Arrow - Spray of Teeth (mix of physical and fire), have 106k dps using something like Elemental Arrow - Ball Lightning (all non-fire), and 53k dps using something like Bola Shot - Volatile Explosives (all fire).

Very informative post, one question though - If you use a skill (say BS - Thunderball) since it turns it all to lightning, does that mean you loose the %to holy, poison, etc. In my case I have a calmity, and have innas belt and zuni boots, so it would be a huge loss if it does.
Reply Quote
you don't "lose" the damage, the damage buff happens then it all gets turned into lightning
Reply Quote

u sure certain mob types have certain elemental inmunities? source?

i understood that elitepacks spawning with certain elemental affixes would get that elemental resistance, but not per mob type.
Reply Quote
Find some blazing guardians (1/2 damage taken from fire) or some shock guardians (1/2 damage taken from lightning) in Vault of the Assassin and see for yourself. The source is my own observation.
Reply Quote
dunno i guess there would need to be some real testing as "my own observations" could be just getting trolled by rng
Reply Quote
I have observed the effect I described WAY too many times for it to be RNG. My Ball Lightning does 200k-300k on critical hits and against Shock Guardians it drops to about 100-150k if the % reduction isn't exactly 50%, it really cannot be far from it (40%-60%). I have noticed the same issue with Cluster Arrow against Blazing Guardians.
Reply Quote
05/01/2013 05:04 PMPosted by DEATHKAS
Cold is the best because you can use cull of the weak and gain 15% total dmg from SoJ

Only if the ability you use does non-elemental damage (including physical damage). The ability must say that it deals "weapon" damage for any cold damage affix (like from an SoJ) to proc Cull of the Weak. So if your build doesn't use any abilities such as this, you're only spending more for a cold SoJ vs other ones.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]