Diablo® III

New computer = account locked?

I got a new computer and when I go to log into diablo 3 it locks my whole bnet account due to suspicious activity, reset password and it happens again. WoW works just fine on the new one, and diablo 3 gives me no issues(account wise) on the old one, any thoughts/suggestions/fixes?
Reply Quote
Do you have Authenticator? as soon as I get that, I don't get anymore problem with account lock.
Reply Quote
Unfortunately, no Authenticator. :|, I guess I will avoid D3 till I find a proper fix or get an Authenticator.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
This is not something that needs a fix. It is working as intended!

My copy pasta on this is below

This system is put in place to protect you from people trying to log in from other locations. It detects a change in your access pattern (there are several factors including IP) and will lock the account and send an email. To get back in you need to reset your password using your secret question. This is working as intended. The system SHOULD learn your usual login patterns and accommodate them. For example I can log in from home and work and have no issues once it learned my patterns.

Why would it happen to you?

1. You logged in from a new location (the obvious answer)
2. You are using software that changes your IP. People do this to lower their ping and latency but it can trigger the lockout system.
3. You are playing somewhere with a very dynamic IP
4. A hacker is trying to get into your account but does not have access to your email/secret question so can't get in.
5. You logged in from a different PC

If you are unable to remember your secret question or get stuck in a lockout loop then you will have to contact Billing and Account Support https://us.battle.net/support/en/ticket/submit

Select D3 > I can't log in > My account is locked and I want to unlock it. From there you should try the password reset link one more time. If that fails, you should use the option at the bottom to submit a ticket.

In the future, you may want to consider putting an Authenticator on the account. While it does not stop all lockouts, it greatly reduces the sensitivity of the login security system so it happens less often. SMS Protect (not an Authenticator) is also useful because it will let you unlock the account with a code instead of the secret question.

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/battlenet-sms-protect
https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/battle-net-authenticator-faq
Reply Quote
2. You are using software that changes your IP. People do this to lower their ping and latency but it can trigger the lockout system.
3. You are playing somewhere with a very dynamic IP

Or you've reversed the polarity of your neutron flow.
Reply Quote
Miss Cheetah...

Wow you're still around this area of the forum. You've been helping from around last year... and you don't even play the game much and when I asked, you said you're not one of the admin.

Just who are you? Why do you love this forum so much?
Reply Quote
I faced this same issue, and resolved it relatively simply.

When the lockout occurs, exit the Diablo 3 client and you should have received an email from Blizzard support notifying you of the account lockout. Within the email will be a bunch of steps regarding securing your computer and account, as well as a password reset option. If you are not set up for SMS recovery, you may want to do that first, if you can.
So long as you reset your password directly after unlocking your account, by clicking on the { password reset } link provided in the Battle.net email (it should be from noreply@blizzard.com), you can reload your game and should be able to access your account.

Good luck!
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
Miss Cheetah...

Wow you're still around this area of the forum. You've been helping from around last year... and you don't even play the game much and when I asked, you said you're not one of the admin.

Just who are you? Why do you love this forum so much?

Hi there! Why? I have been on the Diablo forums since D2....and have never really left. I suppose I came here because I had my own issues with D3 that needed assistance. The kind folks here helped me to be able to play at least.

Really though...almost nobody else (player side) even tries to help other players so I do what I can. If it were me, that is how I would want to be treated so I try to pass that on.

As for playing..there is hope! I am working on buying a new PC so hopefully I can get past NM act 2! So excited.

Edit - you asked who I am. I am just a regular player. I got into the game back in D2 and was very very avid about playing. I jumped on my old favorite as soon as it came out. Still, I am simply someone who loves the game and enjoys helping others when I can. Nobody special :)
Edited by MissCheetah#1661 on 4/27/2013 10:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Huh...sounds like a saint. Hahaha. The game has been around for almost a year and you haven't got past through act 2 nightmare...all you do is spend time in technical issue forum.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
All I do? Well there is this whole full time job thing that I do, the house I own and take care of, the friends and family I spend time with, other games I play, books I read, etc. But yes, I do try to drop in to the forums once or twice a day and see if there are any threads I can be helpful on. Best not to assume what someone spends all their time on.
Reply Quote
Hey sorry I don't mean to offend you. I just find you to be unique....
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]