Diablo® III

Details Regarding Mac OS X 10.6 Support

(Locked)

Blizzard Employee
In the upcoming Diablo III 1.0.8 patch, players using Mac OS X 10.6 will be presented with a message stating we will no longer support Mac OS X 10.6. Players with Mac OS X 10.6 will still be able to patch and play Diablo III patch 1.0.8; however, any bugs or technical issues caused by that OS will not be fixed. We recommend Mac users upgrade their systems to Mac OS X 10.7.5 (or newer) as soon as possible.

We want our Mac users to have enough time to update their operating systems in preparation for the release of Diablo III patch 1.0.8. We will provide an additional update when we no longer provide technical support for Mac OS X 10.6. Mac OS X 10.7 and OS X 10.8 will continue to be fully supported per the recently posted Mac OS X Support policy. For more Mac-related information and help, visit the support site.
Good call, 10.6 is buggy as hell anyway!
MVP
View profile
To add to the above, if you are already at 10.7.5, and you can update your machines to Mountain Lion (10.8.x), it is strongly advised that you do so ASAP. While 10.7.5 receives minor bugfixes and security updates from Apple if there are critical bugs found, the graphics drivers are not updated anymore. That means that if you run into graphics related problems that cannot easily be worked around by Blizzard, you may be stuck with them even on 10.7.5.

10.8 is a $19 download from the Apple App Store and does not require that you update to Lion (10.7.x) first. This means that you can save an additional $20 if you are going directly from Snow Leopard (10.6.8) to Mountain Lion (10.8).

Special Note Regargind the Lion and Mountain Lion Installers:

Once you have downloaded the installer for either Lion or Mountain Lion, you should make a copy of it in a location that will not get that file deleted. The reason for this is that upon finishing the installation, the installer is deleted automatically by the OS and you may wish to have it around in case you need to reinstall.

There is a way to make a bootable USB installer that will not delete itself upon completion of the installation. Here are the steps to do so:

Items Required

USB Flash Drive (8 GB minimum) formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
Lion or Mountain Lion Installer

Steps to create a bootable USB Installer

1) Download the Lion or Mountain Lion installer from the Apple App Store. Purchase is required to do so. Apple Developer Connection (ADC) members with a paid membership should already have a redemption code for Lion or Mountain Lion depending on when they became a member.

2) Right click on the "Install OS X Lion" or "Install OS X Mountain Lion" installer icon (depending on whichever one you downloaded) and select Show Package Contents.

3) Open the Contents folder, then open the Shared Support. Inside should be a file named InstallESD.dmg.

4) Launch Disk Utility.

5) Drag the InstallESD.dmg file icon into the lower lefthand area (blank white space) sidebar inside Disk Utility, then right click the icon and select Open to mount the .dmg file as a disk on your desktop. The mounted disk image will appear on the desktop as Mac OS X Install ESD. It will also appear in the Disk Utility sidebar with the same name.

6) Click the Restore button at the top of the main window in Disk Utility.

7) Drag the Install Mac OS X ESD icon from the desktop onto the field in the Disk Utility window labeled Source.

8) Drag the icon of the USB Flash drive that you already formatted to the field marked Destination in Disk Utility's window. Warning: The next step will erase your flash drive. Make sure to back up any data on it first if necessary.

9) Click Restore, and then Erase. The Install ESD will be copied to your USB Flash Drive and once finished it will be bootable. The restore process should take between ten and twenty minutes depending on the flash drive used. Keep this drive in a safe place after the process is finished.

Once you have created your bootable drive, you may then unmount (eject) the Mac OS X Install ESD image from your desktop and launch the Install OS X Lion or Install OS X Mountain Lion installer and update your system.

Note: The preferred method of install is a clean install, where you select an empty or no longer used partition on which to install your new operating system. Once installed and the computer rebooted, the installer will bring up the Setup Assistant. The final step of that assistant allows you to import your files and settings. You should choose Import settings from another drive. You can then pick and choose what to transfer over.

Once this is complete, you can enjoy your new operating system and set it up as you see fit.
Edited by TheTias#1192 on 4/30/2013 2:22 AM PDT
I run 10.8.2 and D3 runs very smoothly! Aside from the rubber-banding lag and small cast lag (which have mostly been eliminated), havent run into any issues on this OS.
MVP
View profile
No. 1.0.8 is still being fine tuned with regard to monster density and spacing in some zones like The Weeping Hollow. Festering Woods needs a change too - it's too packed to even maneuver anywhere. Things like this are what are keeping 1.0.8 from being released, not the Mac OS changeover.
my 10.8.3 Mac mini (i5 2.5, 8GB RAM, ATI 6630M/256MB Display) is laggy at 10.7
I've search a few method on the web such as reset SMC, turn off all effect ...etc
will it be improved in 1.0.8?

It's a mac just bought about 2 years ago. and it only have 10-15dps

This config work with turn off all effect and at least playable before. And i've quit d3 about half years and return now
I don't know why the same machine will got laggy now
MVP
View profile
The client had really good asset loading in 1.0.5, but as of 1.0.6 and later the stutter came back even for those running off of an SSD like myself. You're not alone in wanting the old performance back.
04/30/2013 06:51 PMPosted by TheTias
No. 1.0.8 is still being fine tuned with regard to monster density and spacing in some zones like The Weeping Hollow. Festering Woods needs a change too - it's too packed to even maneuver anywhere. Things like this are what are keeping 1.0.8 from being released, not the Mac OS changeover.

isn't having more monsters the point of the patch? it doesn't affect mp 0 right?
lol, I still only have openGL 2.0 on my OSX lion, I am surprised D3 runs on my machine, must be a hell for developer to dig into that hole.
Edited by reloaded#1370 on 5/2/2013 4:42 PM PDT
MVP
View profile
05/02/2013 03:50 PMPosted by tenzen
isn't having more monsters the point of the patch? it doesn't affect mp 0 right?

Sadly players can't toggle density in any way other than turning off Monster Power completely, so yes, it doesn't affect MP0.

05/02/2013 04:39 PMPosted by reloaded
lol, I still only have openGL 2.0 on my OSX lion, I am surprised D3 runs on my machine, must be a hell for developer to dig into that hole.

Lion has OpenGL 3.2, but uses the compatibility profile instead of the core profile. Mountain Lion has the same thing going right now.
After updating to the latest patch, I received a message telling me I should upgrade to Mountain Lion because you will stop supporting Snow Leopard. This angers me greatly. Snow Leopard is stable and allows me to run older software in addition to current apps. I have 20 years of work on my computer and two-thirds of it was done with older software. I will lose access to much of those files if I upgrade. Also, many of my apps are not offering free upgrades to OS 10.8 versions. That's more out of my pocket. I've played Diablo since the first release and I've invested a lot of time and money into it. Now, you're going to pull the rug right out from under me. That totally sucks! Thanks a lot. Not! I don't spend a lot of time browsing the forums. Why didn't you just email all your Mac users when you decided to do this? Just now at the top of this forum page, I see you have a posted Mac OS X Support Policy. Next time, give us a heads up by mail or when we log in (way in advance). I work for a living and I have to steal time to play D3. Make this experience better for non- 24/7 gamers.
83 Draenei Paladin
Next time, give us a heads up by mail or when we log in (way in advance). I work for a living and I have to steal time to play D3. Make this experience better for non- 24/7 gamers.
Hard to ignore or not get the message when it is presented before the game even launches, eh? Regardless, if it was otherwise some how unclear -- You can still play D3 using 10.6 Snow Leopard. As you are requesting the message is being presented to warn players in advance and suggest that they upgrade.
His point still stands, going from 10.6 to 10.8 is a big deal for some mac users, some of us have thousands of dollars in software on our rigs, we cant just drop thousands of dollars again at the drop of a hat.

I sympathize completely, I am in the same boat right now.

I have found a solution in boot camp, otherwise I would be pretty peeved as well right now.
Edited by sneakytails#1320 on 5/9/2013 1:56 PM PDT
MVP
View profile
The eventual force update to 10.7 or later is an Apple issue, not a Blizzard issue. Blizzard can only do so much with an operating system whose graphics driver and frameworks are not being updated. Even 10.7.5 is technically dead except the occasional app update/security patch - its drivers are pretty much frozen too.

There is a solution in that you can dual boot Snow Leopard and Lion/Mountain Lion on the same machine, so you can get your work done in SL and your gaming done in Lion/ML without spending more than $20.

Is it ideal? No. It is annoying? Oh hell yes. Is it the end of the World (of Diablocraft)? No.

Does Apple suck for taking the iOS "drop support after a year" strategy with their desktop OS? Very much so.
83 Draenei Paladin
05/09/2013 01:55 PMPosted by sneakytails
His point still stands, going from 10.6 to 10.8 is a big deal for some mac users, some of us have thousands of dollars in software on our rigs, we cant just drop thousands of dollars again at the drop of a hat.

You aren't being asked to upgrade at the drop of a hat, though.

At this point, it's merely informational. As stated, affected players want advance warning -- Here is your warning. It would be best to upgrade as soon as possible, however, it's not a requirement. You can continue to use 10.6 to play.

When the situation is more imminent Blizzard will update you again. The take away here is: Be in the know.
83 Draenei Paladin
05/09/2013 04:44 PMPosted by TheTias
Does Apple suck for taking the iOS "drop support after a year" strategy with their desktop OS? Very much so.

Correct me here, but it isn't so much the OS as it is the graphics drivers, right? I'm under the impression that if nVidia and ATI were able to offer graphics driver updates directly then dropping OS support wouldn't be so necessary.

To that extent, I don't understand why Apple has to deliver the drivers.
Edited by Flavas#1382 on 5/10/2013 1:31 AM PDT
MVP
View profile
05/10/2013 01:30 AMPosted by Uxqatom

Correct me here, but it isn't so much the OS as it is the graphics drivers, right? I'm under the impression that if nVidia and ATI were able to offer graphics driver updates directly then dropping OS support wouldn't be so necessary.

To that extent, I don't understand why Apple has to deliver the drivers.

Apple is in control of the OpenGL framework too, which those drivers rely on (remember, OpenGL is the only framework that is in OS X for graphics - there is no alternative such as DirectX).

nVidia does provide occasional graphics driver updates, but only for specific models. For other models with nVidia cards that have updates in those drivers you have to use something like Pacifist to install them, and even for some moderately savvy users that can be something they're leery of.

Also be aware that nVidia driver updates that are provided outside of Apple are specific to the version of OS X they were built against. Install them on any other version, even if you're withing the same master version (Lion or Mountain Lion) and you'll get either a panic or grey screen on startup.

So the ball's really in Apple's court here.

If it were as simple as "just install the latest drivers and you're good" like it is in Windows XP, we'd transplant Lion or ML's drivers into Snow Leopard and merrily roll along. Unfortunately it's anything but simple.

And so here we are.
83 Draenei Paladin
And so here we are.

And yet Macs are still better :)
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]