Diablo® III

Details Regarding Mac OS X 10.6 Support

(Locked)

In 2001 I paid over $2400 for my G4 tower with the top of the line (according to apple) geforce 3 graphics card with a whopping 64mb DDR memory. The card was an upgrade available only through apple and cost me about $300. The item was back ordered and by the time I actually installed it months later there were already higher performing graphics cards available for the PC at a fraction of the cost.

10 years + later and things have not changed with apple in regards to graphics cards and performance.

Instead of choosing the logical choices for graphics cards from ATI or nividia, apple always chooses the lower tier cards for their machines and then proceeds to jack up the price at the same time. Always behind the 8-ball, always at the higher price.

You can get 2GB graphics cards for around 40 bucks for the PC but apple one of the worlds top companies cannot find a graphics solution better than 512mb for the base model IMAC? A $1000 system!

My 2009 mac mini's 9400m had many more powerful cousins available in the mobile graphics category from the various chip makers but again, the lowest tier was chosen.

I love macs and have used them for a long time, but graphics cards and performance have always been sub-par like this for too many years on apples products and for no good reason.

and now here we are!
How about Blizzard releases a 'Beta' client of D3 that utilizes Lion/Mt. Lion and removes all support for 10.6? Doesn't that sound like a really practical answer to help folks with horrid performance and focus on optimization (rather than accommodation).

This would be an optional selection in the launcher.
so your telling me to upgrade to moutain lion to play diablo 3, but if i did that i won't be able to play diablo 2. because i upgraded to moutain lion before and did not like it at all i couldn't customize anything.

so heres how i see it. if i upgrade i'll be able to play d3 but not d2, and if i do upgrade i'll be able to play d2 but not d3.

i like both of them WTF!!!???

well if i do have to upgrade can blizzard/battlenet or what ever create a patch for d2 so i can play both.
Edited by inkydeath#1488 on 5/22/2013 10:43 AM PDT
So are those of us using 10.6 out of the running for any upcoming Blizzard beta tests as well (even if we are currently opted in) if we do not upgrade our OS to 10.7 or 10.8? An example being the upcoming Hearthstone game?
Edited by Drtongue#1385 on 5/30/2013 10:40 AM PDT
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
05/30/2013 10:39 AMPosted by Drtongue
So are those of us using 10.6 out of the running for any upcoming Blizzard beta tests as well (even if we are currently opted in) if we do not upgrade our OS to 10.7 or 10.8? An example being the upcoming Hearthstone game?

The likelihood is that yes, SL users would not be selected as beta invites simply because that operating system is not supported in any new games and is effectively unsupported in current games. We can't keep using SL and expect to be able to make use of Blizzard's latest games for much longer.

so your telling me to upgrade to moutain lion to play diablo 3, but if i did that i won't be able to play diablo 2. because i upgraded to moutain lion before and did not like it at all i couldn't customize anything.

so heres how i see it. if i upgrade i'll be able to play d3 but not d2, and if i do upgrade i'll be able to play d2 but not d3.

i like both of them WTF!!!???

well if i do have to upgrade can blizzard/battlenet or what ever create a patch for d2 so i can play both.

Disk Utility for Snow Leopard and later can do a "live" repartition, meaning it can repartition a disk without reformatting it. You will need to boot 10.6.8 from an external drive or second drive temporarily and do the partition update on your main drive while it is not in use. You can then install Lion or Mountain Lion (whichever your system allows as the latest operating system) on the new partition and dual boot for D2/D3.

You can have your cake and eat it too as long as you are willing to accept that to run D2 or any other PPC application that you have to dual boot.
So Mac users have to buy Lion upgrade just to be able to play D3 now... yeah upgrade is only 20$ but who wants to spend even more money after buying a game that has been free online forever. Whats the deal?
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
06/21/2013 02:02 PMPosted by SaintLennon
So Mac users have to buy Lion upgrade just to be able to play D3 now... yeah upgrade is only 20$ but who wants to spend even more money after buying a game that has been free online forever. Whats the deal?

We don't have to buy Lion yet, but we will soon perhaps. The biggest part of whether or not SL will be completely locked out will be determined by which route Blizzard goes in terms of OpenGL. If they keep the Compatibility Profile code in the game while also adding in the Core Profile, then we'll be OK for a while longer. If it is deemed necessary to simply switch over to the Core Profile, which is available only in Lion and later, then we'll need to update to at least that OS.

One thing to keep in mind is that Apple doesn't update SL anymore except the odd security update. That means that any slowdowns, bugs, or other hiccups caused by SL will continue to plague the game, potentially for those even using later OS versions. Because of this, it may simply be necessary to jettison the code that keeps SL support alive and go with what makes the game better as a whole.

This is mostly an Apple problem, which by proxy of not getting updates to SL anymore has become a Blizzard problem. Their hands are pretty much tied unless they bend over backwards yet again to keep SL in the mix, which will make other later OS users suffer performance hits like we've been seeing lately.

It's a no-win situation for Blizzard and I do not envy them, but they need to do what is best for the game in the long run. That'll mean that even I have to switch to ML (Lion just blows since you can't defeat any of its three core irritations while in ML you can), but that's preferrable to years of stutter and game issues.
Caution: This cookie bites back.
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
Just bumping, because 2.x is on PTR now and it hard kills 10.6. This indicates it is moving from not supported but working to not working at all. If you are one of those that have been clicking off those warnings for the last few months. Not upgrading is no longer an option come 2.0.
Not a usual poster here but I feel it's necessary to point out that this is the EXACT reason why so many of us single player types wanted offline mode. Offline mode has a very reasonable and rational purpose in the gaming ecosystem. Blizzard used to understand this but has somehow been blinded by the WoW delivery method. Killing support for all of us, including support for the "original" version of the game is quite heavy handed. Any arguments to the contrary are simply siding with the always online mentality. I, for one, not only have expensive legacy software but also hardware that will not function on a 64bit-only platform (10.7 and up).

To be completely honest, I don't necessarily care if I'm running the latest patch. As an offline player, I might not have access to the latest and greatest goodies pushed down the dev pipeline but I could still enjoy playing the game I paid for. It's quite reasonable to allow older offline versions of the game to exist with the caveat that offline players will be required to upgrade their OS if they want to experience new content.

I really do want to buy in to RoS and might consider a dual boot situation if that's what I have to do. However, I resent the fact that Blizzard is pulling the plug on support for Diablo 3 on older versions of OS X, which had been perfectly playable until quite recently where unbelievably disruptive lags and gameplay hiccups have made the game unfathomably frustrating.
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
You can blame Apple for Blizzard having to pull support like this. It's their yearly OS switchovers and the fact Apple only supports the two most recent OS releases, and the older of the two only gets security updates, not new drivers or anything like that.

As for 64-bit only, only Mountain Lion and later is 64-bit only. Lion (10.7) is 32/64-bit just like Snow Leopard.
Caution: This cookie bites back.
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
^What he said. Biggest issue is apple. In fact, even now, you can still find relatively current drivers for windows XP no problem. The mac equiv of that would be like 10.5, good luck finding updated drivers for even 10.7 for that matter. As soon as apple releases a new OS, the old one is immediately EOL, period. it gets maybe a safari update or two and security updates. drivers, bugfixes, etc. Nope. I can assure you that now that 10.9 is out, 10.8 will not see another meaningful update. 10.8.5 is end of life. Just as 10.7.5 was when 10.8 launched. It's how apple does business. this of course means that for games to moe forward like diablo 3, they MUST abandon OSes on mac very strictly and very quickly do to bugs that crop up on updated game engines that effect older OSes that cannot be fixed or supported without those OSes getting updates (something that won't ever happen).
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]