Diablo® III

What exactly do the devs accomplish in one work week?

(Locked)

So last week in a 40 hour period, there was one patch note update for the PTR - some spiders had their health and damage adjusted. Really, that's it!? Let's see, what else...maybe 3 blue posts about nothing even remotely interesting.

What exactly are the devs doing while on the clock? Is everyone just sitting around in a jacuzzi with a bunch of hot naked asian women sippin cristal out of a chalice? Or is everyone too busy working on the console version or the expansion to fix/tweak the live game?

I main a Demon Hunter, and it still boggles my mind that there are so many useless runes and passives. Yet, much like the spiders, most only need simple number tweaks to change them from pointless to compelling. It's not like Blizzard doesn't have this data - just look at what skills people aren't using and buff/rework them. You don't need 1 year of development time to realize that Hot Pursuit is the dumbest passive in the entire game.

Hell, players are so bored with their build choices that they even offer their ideas/solutions to fix the game themselves. About every other day you will find a new topic on the DH boards of players who write up ways to fix up all the useless junk in our arsenal. And it takes them what, 30 minutes to an hour?

And not only that - with the upcoming changes to monster density, Blizz has completely ignored the fact that single target skills are going to be rendered next to useless. What Demon Hunter is going to use Impale when there are 20 mobs swarming him? Across the board, single-hit skills need to buffed to 2x to 3x their aoe counterparts to be even remotely effective.

I just don't get why the devs are at such a disconnect when it comes to changes that need to be made to skills. I check Diablofans daily, and there's almost never anything exciting. Oo boy, another article on someone who drew a Diablo picture or created a doll. Wake up and start attacking the glaring lack of MP10 builds by buffing underused skills and opening up new ways for us to play the game.
Somebody mad.
My theory is that they are either mostly doing nothing, or (more likely) there are a lot of ideas, but now that blizzard is so big there's probably about 20 people each idea has to go through, and by the end any interesting, unqiue idea is so hopelessly watered down and generic, if it makes it through at all.
Probably mostly talking and discussing the game and things they want to change. You know, the most important step for forming ideas and beginning actual work, especially when your group of followers are a bunch of volatile, short sighted people that have no clue what they actually want so they just constantly rage out on everyone about everything.

Also, devs =/= CM's. You will only see the devs post on the forums rarely. The majority of blue posts are CM's, which are mostly watching their tongue because every bit of banter and hints at possible new things become complete fact and will come to pass in the next 2 weeks to you people.

You brought this lack of communication on yourself by being you. Good job. Failures.
In one of the videos I heard Jay Wilson said something like: "Have you ever tried making 20 people agree on the same thing? It doesn't happen."

Maybe that's the problem.
They are working on console..

They are saying that its a different team but the looking at how things go... 4 months in and an exploit hasn't been fixed tells you something.
Most likely human resources are not balanced very well. Too many things to be done by few software engineers or such. It is their business I have no problem with.
04/29/2013 06:16 AMPosted by omniwank
What exactly are the devs doing while on the clock?

I am shocked and dumbfounded by your post. I think you are completely off the mark:

They are scantly clad Swedish women NOT naked Asian women; it is Napa wine, NOT Cristal...
Do the Diablo 3 designers (not CMs) do any of the actual coding? Some prominent game designers can't code a line - they often rose through the industry ranks via the QA/testing departments and actually just write specs of how the game should function, which the actual coders/programmers then implement.

Richard Garriott just had a big rant about this where he stated “most game designers really just suck.” And then clarified it further regarding how non-technical (can't code) designers are far more challenged than those who have an understanding of the mechanics involved.

This story has links to initial story and clarification: http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/03/21/richard-garriott-clarifies-his-most-game-designers-really-just/

So do Wyatt, Travis and other designers actually write any lines of game code or are they just spec-writers? That would explain a lot of the impotent "talking around the office" without actually implementing anything.

D3 probably has a very small staff of real programmers these days, and they could very well be overwhelmed by the sheer amount of work that needs to be done, explaining why patches and meaningful change comes very slowly.

Edit: Clarifying that this is about Designers and Coders, not Community Managers.
Edited by Zuzax#1341 on 4/29/2013 7:38 AM PDT
game designer tell you what is fun and what is not fun, are you thankful?? :D
Probably mostly talking and discussing the game and things they want to change. You know, the most important step for forming ideas and beginning actual work, especially when your group of followers are a bunch of volatile, short sighted people that have no clue what they actually want so they just constantly rage out on everyone about everything.

Also, devs =/= CM's. You will only see the devs post on the forums rarely. The majority of blue posts are CM's, which are mostly watching their tongue because every bit of banter and hints at possible new things become complete fact and will come to pass in the next 2 weeks to you people.

You brought this lack of communication on yourself by being you. Good job. Failures.

Nailed it
Sometimes you be surprise how long it takes the wheel to move. I work in a small company so things goes fast but I was contracted out to a bank last winter and it took 3 weeks to add a button to their iPhone app doing mortgage calculation. Just one freaking button. I was in disbelieve until I finally see it. So I would assume Bliz is not diff from that bank I worked in last winter. You can't compare their dev speed with indie gamer's dev speed.
Guys coding takes time ok its really super hard and takes a lot of time
POLLS!
Yep I'd have to say that blizzard is probably the slowest company ever when it comes to game development and you would think their games would be like the best because of it but this is hardly the case.

I spent sometime watching Marvel Hero's this weekend on twitch and id have to say that although I may not quit D3 completely I wont be playing it near as much. Marvel Hero's is easily with out a doubt a better quality game and took less than half the time to complete compared to most Blizzard games.

I mean seriously what is the point of playing D3? It has absolutely no re playability what so ever, why? because the loot in this game is absolute s h i t. I've been playing D3 since beta nearly every day for 6-12 hours a day and only gotten 1 item that was worth a couple billion, some ppl have farmed more than me and got nothing, this game has to much work involved with little or no reward.

So whats the point in continuing to play it, wait for itemization patch?, i guess but that probably wont happen for months too because as I said blizzard is so damn slow. I think I'll have more fun with less BS playing Marvel Hero's. I highly recommend you check out the live stream's of it, I think you will be impressed.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]