Diablo® III

Watch Tower nerfed???

(Locked)

cannot find Watch Tower since a long time....
is that being nerfed already???
It has been moved to the 1st Highland area (forget if it's north or west or whatever) and spawns only very rarely. That was a long time ago. As for the reasoning behind this... I'm not sure there was one at all.
seems no more Watch Tower now... :(
have run over 10 times already....

I want to complete the achievement only....... as the merchants inside the Watch tower....
WTF............ !#!#@!$!$!
04/29/2013 10:26 AMPosted by Presence
It has been moved to the 1st Highland area (forget if it's north or west or whatever) and spawns only very rarely. That was a long time ago. As for the reasoning behind this... I'm not sure there was one at all.

People were farming the resplendent chest. Uh oh, there's a popular farm spot! Better nerf it!
oh my you looked 10 times and couldnt find it?

they must have deleted it
It got moved and it was indeed nerfed.

The level 1 is made "larger" with nothing of interest in that location. The level 2 is still good when you get it.

With the VotA, I fail to see why the Watch Tower is a problem. Perhaps they could make the chest be part of an event that you must complete =/

That depends on where you are looking for it to spawn. If you have not been playing for a long while and you are looking for it in the Northern Highlands you will never see it spawn there. Because it moved to the Southern Highlands. Also it just has a chance to appear. So it will not always appear in every game.
I just want to find the merchants there only ..... Y_Y

have run 15 times in Southern Highlands already............... Y_Y
I just want to find the merchants there only ..... Y_Y

have run 15 times in Southern Highlands already............... Y_Y

When it was in the North I ran it over 30 times to find the merchant, the tower itself spawned half the time but the merchant is super rare.

This was moved and nerfed because people were doing mass mob runs to exploit the resplendent chest (back when doing that was a thing). A mass mob run is where a bunch of people that are friends run individual games checking for the watch tower, when one finds it he alerts his friends and they join his game and everyone reaps the goods. The bigger the group the better, with groups of 30+ doing rotational invites you are basically opening a resplendent chest every couple of minutes.

I done it a couple of times pre 1.03 inferno nerf with treasure goblins in groups of over 40. It was immensely fun as the goblin was hard as all hell to kill and you'd have to strategize to keep him from running into surrounding mobs that would one hit you. Would usually require a DH to smokescreen past them To scare them in another direction. Screwing I'm making a thread about pre 1.03 exploits.
Community Manager

The Watch Tower was changed because of how insanely good it was compared to most farming locations. It benefited from having an abnormally high Elite density, resplendent chest spawn, and was located conveniently close to a waypoint (a combination which made it an outlier in terms of efficiency as well as a go-to spot for a large number of players). While there's nothing wrong with a particular farming location being good or even better than other areas, it becomes an issue when one spot starts to eclipse everything else. We wanted to make sure players didn't feel like they had to farm that spot or else they'd be missing out, so in patch 1.0.5 we moved it from Northern Highlands to Southern Highlands with the idea that it would require spending some extra time to find it, since that was one of major reasons why the area was so OP. Initially we didn’t want to nerf the dungeon, but eventually the Elite density was toned down anyway, and the tower remains in Southern Highlands.

To answer your question, though, parts of the Watch Tower were nerfed, but the chances for it (and the merchant) to spawn have not changed. I wish you good luck in your search for the merchant, but it’ll probably take a few attempts!
Edited by Lylirra on 4/30/2013 6:24 PM PDT
04/30/2013 11:21 AMPosted by Grimiku
Initially we didn’t want to nerf the dungeon, but eventually the Elite density was toned down anyway

Blizzard's policy: if it is fun, nerf it.
04/30/2013 11:36 AMPosted by deLicio
Initially we didn’t want to nerf the dungeon, but eventually the Elite density was toned down anyway

^^

"There is an effective area for finding loot in a loot finding game?!'
"We will change that...."
Every time you change something that has a way of farming it, it creates a barren wasteland. Imagine 50% in act 3 and 50% at watch tower. Right when WT is nerfed to where it isn't convenient anymore, it becomes 95% act 3 and 0-5% WT. All it does is pigeon hole people into the same jargen thing.

(Censored courtesy to a lame excuse to not use the chat filter because we must be good boys and girls when it comes to blocking our cuss words away from their own built in chat filter. Use this as your signature if you think that using the filter will get you banned is bull woppers.)
I used to be an ardent blizzard supporter, until I took a watchtower nerf to the face.

04/30/2013 11:36 AMPosted by deLicio

when it comes to farming, this is beyond true.
Community Manager

I think this is a pretty simplistic way to view the situation, but I agree that having a favorite farming spot nerfed doesn't feel great. We get that. The alternative, though, (at least in situations like this, where that spot is way beyond the norm) is that people feel forced into playing one tiny section of the game, and that's arguably worse for the health of the game overall.
Edited by Grimiku on 4/30/2013 3:51 PM PDT

I think this is a pretty simplistic way to view the situation, but I agree that having a favorite farming spot nerfed doesn't feel good. The alternative (in situations like this, where that spot is way beyond the norm) is that people feels forced into playing one tiny section of the game, and that's arguably worse for the health of the game overall.

then please explain why on earth A3 has been the only reasonable farming area since the release of this game?

this mob density patch isn't even helping it. I've tested this PTR to death and its still going to be the freaking same. A3 will still be the best area, no other place comes close to amount of mob flow like a3 and thats a fact.

Please enlighten me on that

I think this is a pretty simplistic way to view the situation, but I agree that having a favorite farming spot nerfed doesn't feel good. The alternative (in situations like this, where that spot is way beyond the norm) is that people feels forced into playing one tiny section of the game, and that's arguably worse for the health of the game overall.

Is that why you guys have taken over half a year to actually do something about the fact that everyone just runs A3 all the time?
Has anyone ever seen Highlands Cave? I have never seen that place at all. Seen Watch Tower every 3-4 runs.

I sincerely wish you(dev team, etc) could 'fix' an issue like this without swinging the pendulum so far that it is a forgotten/lost area.

I understand wanting to take the edge off, but what ever change happens makes it overly unappealing for players too often.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]