Diablo® III

Watch Tower nerfed???

(Locked)

The problem with full act clears is you HAVE to do things like save the dumb residents of Caldium from the green fireballs.

I rescue one person, then move myself as far back as possible in that alcove and alt+tab or find something to do at home for a few minutes. I'm not sure even rescuing the one person is necessary. Still, I've never enjoyed that quest. I got the achievement and have alt+tabbed it ever since. It does go faster if you do it, though, as once everyone is dead or rescued the event ends. It's just a good opportunity to take a break.

Yeah, full act clears...eh. My husband really likes them, so I am willing to do them when I play with him. He loots a lot more than I do, too, which is understandable as he's newer. It does break up the faster pace I usually play at, which is welcome sometimes. I am pleased to see that quest exp will be a thing in the patch for players like him. I'm still probably going to prefer doing fast area clears, waypoint to waypoint, or fast CotA clears. Some of us really do like a short farm. It's nice to run CotA, pop out to deal with auctions, and run CotA again. It would drive my husband absolutely up a wall, but it feels far less tedious to me than doing a long run. When it gets old, I do something else. I don't feel locked in to CotA runs.
Edited by Tiakatt#1643 on 4/30/2013 3:24 PM PDT
So, under the bilzzard philosphy of "nerfing all things good", shouldn't they have nerfed Baal and Chaos runs in the latter stages of D2? Because those are the only places that got played, or should I say teleported to by bots.
Watch Tower had to be nerfed to uselessness or people might have mistakenly started to believe that Act 1 was worth playing.
I would like to play the game all it is. But i need a lot of monsters to keep my wrath of berseker... Wait what? "To keep my wrath of berseker"? Oh s**t! Nerfed. :) :)

p.s. this tower was my beloved place to farm. After 1.04 and reading a blog i thought it was a bug. After 3 months later I founded it on its nowadays location. Thanks for info about that...... The baddest thing that could be done to act 1 imho.
Edited by Mnich#2891 on 4/30/2013 3:08 PM PDT
There should be MORE areas like the old Watch Tower, not less. If you see people gravitating towards certain areas, maybe you should try to make the rest of the game like that, instead of vice versa. You guys were on the right track with PTR until you decided to implement your "clumpy" design and undo the areas you made the most fun (realm of shadow/ weeping hollow). I could swear you guys just look at a data sheet or something and don't actually listen to any of your players. Maybe you should just nerf all of act 3 and cancel the patch. It would achieve your goal of getting people to farm different areas, right? Same as buffing all the other acts, right? What's the difference if the end result is the same (sarcasm)?

BTW I haven't even stepped foot in the Watch Tower since you nerfed it. GOOD CALL!
04/30/2013 02:57 PMPosted by RamJChung
So, under the bilzzard philosphy of "nerfing all things good", shouldn't they have nerfed Baal and Chaos runs in the latter stages of D2? Because those are the only places that got played, or should I say teleported to by bots.

No because the devs for D2 knew what the players wanted and apparently listened to them and kept the game fun.
How is nerfing a popular farming spot in an effort to promote other spots any different than nerfing a popular skill to promote the use of other skills? You're actively, and purposefully, making the game as a whole less fun by attempting to homogenize every aspect.

That is an interesting point because those runs were great for some things, but not for everything. There were better, and more interesting, places to get things like runes or TC90 loot. But Baal runs were great for TC87 and lower. Imagine that, a loot game where loot diversity was leveraged into creating different desirable runs.
We wanted to make sure players didn’t feel like they had to farm that spot or else they’d be missing out, so in patch 1.0.5 we moved it from Northern Highlands to Southern Highlands with the idea that it would require spending some extra time to find it. Initially we didn’t want to nerf the dungeon, but eventually the Elite density was toned down anyway, and the tower remains in Southern Highlands.

I'm actually speechless. People are playing an area therefore we need to stop people from playing that area. Whats next?
04/30/2013 03:16 PMPosted by Vyleblud
How is nerfing a popular farming spot in an effort to promote other spots any different than nerfing a popular skill to promote the use of other skills? You're actively, and purposefully, making the game as a whole less fun by attempting to homogenize every aspect.

++

Instead of nerfing the tower, buff other areas. I realize that Blizzard is doing that with the monster density patch, but nerfing the Watchtower was weak sauce.
cannot find Watch Tower since a long time....
is that being nerfed already???

The Watch Tower was changed because of how good it was compared to most farming locations. It benefited from having an abnormally high Elite density, resplendent chest spawn, and was located conveniently close to a waypoint. We wanted to make sure players didn’t feel like they had to farm that spot or else they’d be missing out, so in patch 1.0.5 we moved it from Northern Highlands to Southern Highlands with the idea that it would require spending some extra time to find it. Initially we didn’t want to nerf the dungeon, but eventually the Elite density was toned down anyway, and the tower remains in Southern Highlands.

To answer your question, though, parts of the Watch Tower were nerfed, but the chances for it (and the merchant) to spawn have not changed. I wish you good luck in your search for the merchant, but it’ll probably take a few attempts!

This would all make sense if everybody didn't already farm Act 3 anyway. Watch Tower was cool because it was different, then you changed it and it looks just like the other places that it looks like.
Edited by Kupo#1759 on 4/30/2013 3:39 PM PDT
We wanted to make sure players didn’t feel like they had to farm that spot or else they’d be missing out

missing out on what BTW???

You don't think players knew what they were giving up by CHOOSING to only run the best, most interesting areas????
Playing the whole game should be appealing and there shouldn't be these "Alkaizer routes"

A lot of people have no interest in running the whole game. Between NV and this OCD "balance" of everything, the player is forced into marathon gaming sessions.

The beauty of Diablo 2 was OPTIONS! I could do just Baal, or just Diablo, or both, or some of the quicker bosses, or hit up a bunch of superuniques, or run longer pits/tunnels, or hunt from runes, or uber Diablo.

No, we shouldn't have an "alkaizer route". We should have LOTS of alkaizer routes! Some quick, some long, some in between, with varying objectives, and variety in mob distribution. Variety is what makes Diablo good. Not a never-ending string of faceless champs/elites.

Forget trying to force players into the filler areas that we use while questing. We see those enough as is leveling characters. The content needs to be focused on a variety of end-game farming options.

This. This right here.

Remember this?

03/28/2013 05:59 PMPosted by Travis Day
I've said one numerous occasions, in a perfect world, when a player sits down at their computer for the evening to play the Diablo the question I want them to say to themselves is "What do I feel like doing tonight?" not "Ok time to run Act 3 again".
Edited by Bluthium#1822 on 4/30/2013 5:42 PM PDT

++

Instead of nerfing the tower, buff other areas. I realize that Blizzard is doing that with the monster density patch, but nerfing the Watchtower was weak sauce.

They didn't increase density, they merely shifted it around, it's an illusion. They took out so much over the patches, now they're restoring some appeal, but not nearly as much as original.

At this point in time after the release, I should never find myself reminiscing over previous content and remembering how much more I enjoyed it.
View profile
[quote="87278687162"]Initially we didn’t want to nerf the dungeon, but eventually the Elite density was toned down anyway[/quote

We weren't having fun the way they told us too.
04/30/2013 11:36 AMPosted by deLicio
Initially we didn’t want to nerf the dungeon, but eventually the Elite density was toned down anyway

Blizzard's policy: if it is fun, nerf it.

So true, and very sad.
"There is an effective area for finding loot in a loot finding game?!'
"We will change that...."

I think this is a pretty simplistic way to view the situation, but I agree that having a favorite farming spot nerfed doesn't feel great. We get that. The alternative, though, (at least in situations like this, where that spot is way beyond the norm) is that people feel forced into playing one tiny section of the game, and that's arguably worse for the health of the game overall.

Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting. I haven't played D3 in months because I grew to hate the game and the direction yall were going with it. But, I had faith. Faith that eventually yall will get things turned around. That faith is why I came to these forums today. I wanted to find out more news about the up coming patch.

After reading your post though..... you've only reminded me why I stopped playing in the first place. Disgust is the best word I can think of to describe how I feel after reading your post and the watch tower nerf.
Edited by LausDeoX#1476 on 4/30/2013 6:12 PM PDT
I have never posted on this site since I got this game last June/July, but I am completely shocked at that response about forcing people into doing something. It's an oxymoron, a complete lie, because thats exactly what Blizzard is doing. Forcing everyone to playing Act 3 over and over. Very bad design decisions from a company that sold 12 million + units, and also make cashflow constantly from the RMAH.

Please just listen to us, and stop taking our fun away, this game could be so much better if you just let us have fun instead of taking the easy way out and nerf, nerf, nerf. It's sickening. Like I said, I am shocked at all your responses, and stalling tactics. Your patches are band-aids, with nothing of interest. We waited a full year for arena PvP and we still don't have that. Make up for it, and fast while you keep us waiting. Your not earning your money, and it's like not your creative team needs to make hard decisions. Look at these boards, almost 90% of people have great ideas that can be implemented so quick it boggles my mind what your company is doing all these months.

Look at other games that sold 90% less than you, and they are constantly patching adding updates, and not nitpicking nerfs here and there. It's real content, from other ARPGS that cost 20 bucks, to non-subscription MMO's. Hell even Star Wars TOR had much more dense and consistant updates, and that game went F2P and sold under 2 million. Even Guild Wars 2 have had HUGE updates, and that has no subs and sold 1.5 mill. Diablo sold 12 MILLION PLUS and has micro-transactions. Where is our constant support in timely fashion? Any other company would have rolled out at the very least 1 patch a month after selling so much, but it's been a year and we didn't even reach 8 patches. No PvP. With none of these things, you nerf "fun" areas. Unacceptable.

I think this is a pretty simplistic way to view the situation, but I agree that having a favorite farming spot nerfed doesn't feel great. We get that. The alternative, though, (at least in situations like this, where that spot is way beyond the norm) is that people feels forced into playing one tiny section of the game, and that's arguably worse for the health of the game overall.

I really wish more people understood this. =/

This is why zones like the Realm of Shadow and many others on the PTR needed changed.

Playing the whole game should be appealing and there shouldn't be these "Alkaizer routes"

Certainly, these efficient farming paths will indeed exist, but when they're better than everything else by leaps and bounds, it becomes an issue.

While some people might find running a simple route over and over again "fun", there are a great deal of players who would like variety in their play. This is why the density changes in 1.0.8 are so great because they add more variety to farming endgame. (Not to mention it actually gives me a reason to gather keys other than the Keys of Terror I've been stockpiling)

This is the exact reason Whimsyshire was also nerfed. When it gets to a point where one single zone / dungeon / act trumps all others in terms of efficiency, any desire for variety is squashed because the player would only be gimping themselves by doing something different.

This is why most of my friends have gone back to WoW and uninstalled Diablo III. Running Act III over and over again for loot they know they're never going to get bores them to tears. They play WoW because it's a much more complex and challenging game with much more variety. D3 can have the same level of variety and challenge, but currently with the way the game is set up doing anything remotely challenging or varied just isn't worth the effort invested.

I hope this is something that's considered in the future.

Nerfing X to make Y more appealing is stupid logic. It doesn't matter what X or Y are, if you are doing that, you're doing it wrong. People do or use X because it is better, more fun, or more efficient, they stay away from Y because its not as good or just not good period. If you boost Y so it is at least similar to X, people might actually try it out. If you Nerf X to MAKE people go out and do Y, they hate you for it and only begrudgingly do it because now X isn't any better or is worse than what Y was to begin with.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]