Diablo® III

Watch Tower nerfed???

(Locked)

The beauty of Diablo 2 was OPTIONS! I could do just Baal, or just Diablo, or both, or some of the quicker bosses, or hit up a bunch of superuniques, or run longer pits/tunnels, or hunt from runes, or uber Diablo.

+1

And / Or a full clear knowing that each boss and area could still drop interesting items. It was fun partying and playing... OOPS I said the fun word...sorry; I'll go back to other games now. Honestly, at this point, it doesn't really matter if they change a bunch of stuff, I've already lost interest in playing. I sign in, nothing has sold, I play with friends for 10 minutes, get frustrated that my 250k dps does 1/3 of the damage that their 250k dps does (my DH vs their Monk/Barb) and semi rage quit, lol. I've recently taken a liking to a different game, ...so too little too late.
I really like the old Watch Tower. After they moved it to the Southern Highlands and crushed the Elite Counts, I was really disappointed and never went back.
05/01/2013 01:35 PMPosted by Detnyj
I really like the old Watch Tower. After they moved it to the Southern Highlands and crushed the Elite Counts, I was really disappointed and never went back.

BLUE, fix it back please.

move it back to Northern Highlands, buff it back where it was before with mobs and eliets, and please make it spawn 100% of the time.

pretty please.
04/30/2013 01:48 PMPosted by simplemath
BUFF EVERY AREA UNTIL WHOLE ACTS ARE OVERFLOWING WITH MOBS - why can't that be done???

Because classes that excel more at single targets would be completely underpowered like monk and DH. Well DH is already underpowered no matter what but that's a different issue.
05/01/2013 02:21 PMPosted by MasterJay
BUFF EVERY AREA UNTIL WHOLE ACTS ARE OVERFLOWING WITH MOBS - why can't that be done???

Because classes that excel more at single targets would be completely underpowered like monk and DH. Well DH is already underpowered no matter what but that's a different issue.

Literally the only class who struggles with numbers. As a monk, I only want large packs of mobs. High MP, cyclones and exploding palm clears quickly. Low MP tempest rush. DH just really, really needs buffs.
The Watch Tower was changed because of how insanely FUN it was

/fixed
justice bump. C'mon new dev team. You've been on a roll lately. See the unanimous outcry against this WT nerf and revert it.

This is YOUR opportunity to win the hearts and minds of your fan base. Give us reason to believe again!!
cannot find Watch Tower since a long time....
is that being nerfed already???

The Watch Tower was changed because of how insanely good it was compared to most farming locations. It benefited from having an abnormally high Elite density, resplendent chest spawn, and was located conveniently close to a waypoint (a combination which made it an outlier in terms of efficiency as well as a go-to spot for a large number of players). While there's nothing wrong with a particular farming location being good or even better than other areas, it becomes an issue when one spot starts to eclipse everything else. We wanted to make sure players didn't feel like they had to farm that spot or else they'd be missing out, so in patch 1.0.5 we moved it from Northern Highlands to Southern Highlands with the idea that it would require spending some extra time to find it, since that was one of major reasons why the area was so OP. Initially we didn’t want to nerf the dungeon, but eventually the Elite density was toned down anyway, and the tower remains in Southern Highlands.

To answer your question, though, parts of the Watch Tower were nerfed, but the chances for it (and the merchant) to spawn have not changed. I wish you good luck in your search for the merchant, but it’ll probably take a few attempts!

It does seem that everytime ingenous minds of players make something OP I end up seeing it changed, nerfed, or someone saying this is not the way WE (Blizzard) intended YOU (the players) to play our game.
"There is an effective area for finding loot in a loot finding game?!'
"We will change that...."

I think this is a pretty simplistic way to view the situation, but I agree that having a favorite farming spot nerfed doesn't feel great. We get that. The alternative, though, (at least in situations like this, where that spot is way beyond the norm) is that people feel forced into playing one tiny section of the game, and that's arguably worse for the health of the game overall.

Yes... except when I played (like probably millions of others), we did not log on, farm the water tower, and log off. We farmed the watch tower, then several other areas, and then the butcher.

Am I missing some info here.. has anybody just simply farmed the watch tower and called it a day?
04/30/2013 12:02 PMPosted by Grimiku
I think this is a pretty simplistic way to view the situation, but I agree that having a favorite farming spot nerfed doesn't feel great. We get that. The alternative, though, (at least in situations like this, where that spot is way beyond the norm) is that people feel forced into playing one tiny section of the game, and that's arguably worse for the health of the game overall.

Where exactly did you get the idea that the only SOLUTION, or the idea that the correct solution, is to balance by nerfing?

There should be someting like this in ALL sections of the game!

The Pit, Tombs, the council, etc. etc. as examples from dare I say it? DIABLO 2
05/01/2013 06:35 PMPosted by sheltem

Where exactly did you get the idea that the only SOLUTION, or the idea that the correct solution, is to balance by nerfing?

There should be someting like this in ALL sections of the game!

The Pit, Tombs, the council, etc. etc. as examples from dare I say it? DIABLO 2

I think that's always been a bad strategy, even though putting one single go to place is bad game design. It comes across as a take-take away from the player. Developers should try a take-give away approach to nerfing. Basically if a nerf is needed, buff some other stuff at the same time, albeit players would still complain about that too. Still in my view a take-give approach would at least win over some players attitudes towards their game.
05/01/2013 06:53 PMPosted by RockSalt
I think that's always been a bad strategy, even though putting one single go to place is bad game design. It comes across as a take-take away from the player. Developers should try a take-give away approach to nerfing. Basically if a nerf is needed, buff some other stuff at the same time, albeit players would still complain about that too. Still in my view a take-give approach would at least win over some players attitudes towards their game.

I'm not saying that a nerf isnt sometimes needed.

You dont particularly like my or the D2 strategy to the design is fine.

It doesnt just "come across as a take-away" it IS a take-away.

I would argue that "nerfing for balance" whenever 1 good place is found is NOT a good solution and NOT good for the game.
So their mindset is when players find a popular farming spot and continue to farm it, they nerf it as "they" think players feel compelled to farm that area only.

Blizzard nerfs the popular area.. so what do players do? Find the next popular/efficient spot to farm, and players continually farm that. Blizzard nerfs that as they think players feel compelled to farm that area only.

What do players do now? Go find the next most efficient/popular area to farm.. Blizzard notices this, they think again that players feel compelled to farm that area, so that gets taken away..

and so on
and so on
and so on

Until we have what? No extra areas in the game? To the point if we start act 1.. there are no caves, holes, dungeons.. nothing. Hell the catacombs leading up the Butcher disappear? Butcher now appears out in the open somewhere randomly?
Edited by Deadlysynz#1583 on 5/1/2013 7:17 PM PDT
Until we have what? No extra areas in the game? To the point if we start act 1.. there are no caves, holes, dungeons.. nothing. Hell the catacombs leading up the Butcher disappear? Butcher now appears out in the open somewhere randomly?

Bingo. Perfect Balance. No good farming areas at all.
"There is an effective area for finding loot in a loot finding game?!'
"We will change that...."

You THINK it is a pretty simplistic point of view?

You are delusional. It is spot on. You and your teams response to efficient/enjoyable/fun aspects of the game is a four letter word.... NERF. I've got a couple four letter words in rebuttal of that but I will keep it clean.

If you truly believe in this apparent "addition by subtraction" mindset, which has been the hallmark of most changes to this game I whole heartedly suggest that you (and anyone else with that same mentality) lives up to those thoughts and LEAVES THE D3 TEAM.

Seriously, eff off. Find another project to bastardize.

This is coming from someone who has played video games since Pong, and has been a business analyst for major system development for over 20 years.

You... do.... not.... belong....
04/30/2013 11:21 AMPosted by Grimiku
It benefited from having an abnormally high Elite density

Man why!??? The thing is that this density shud be normal...!? the amount of mobs in d3 need to triple/quadruple and seeing a ton of unique monsters like in d2 would be fun

Edit : always gotta nerf,,, think the other way around instead!
Edited by DoNTDiEx#1499 on 5/1/2013 10:21 PM PDT
Bump for more exposure: Grimiku's posts are absolutely delicious testimonies about the mindset within the dev team. I love it when people shoot themselves in the foot so perfectly.
04/30/2013 11:21 AMPosted by Grimiku
The Watch Tower was changed because of how insanely good it was compared to most farming locations.

This games is out of control. The keep nerfing everything. Is there a way to play the old Diablo 3? The launch Diablo 3
We need the orignal Watch Towers in every area! This is not a bump.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]