Diablo® III

Watch Tower nerfed???

(Locked)

The Watch Tower was changed because of how insanely good it was compared to most farming locations. It benefited from having an abnormally high Elite density, resplendent chest spawn, and was located conveniently close to a waypoint (a combination which made it an outlier in terms of efficiency as well as a go-to spot for a large number of players). While there's nothing wrong with a particular farming location being good or even better than other areas, it becomes an issue when one spot starts to eclipse everything else. We wanted to make sure players didn't feel like they had to farm that spot or else they'd be missing out, so in patch 1.0.5 we moved it from Northern Highlands to Southern Highlands with the idea that it would require spending some extra time to find it, since that was one of major reasons why the area was so OP. Initially we didn’t want to nerf the dungeon, but eventually the Elite density was toned down anyway, and the tower remains in Southern Highlands.

To answer your question, though, parts of the Watch Tower were nerfed, but the chances for it (and the merchant) to spawn have not changed. I wish you good luck in your search for the merchant, but it’ll probably take a few attempts!

the most idiotic thing i have ever read on these forums..

BLIZZARD = FAIL!
Yup: If it's insanely good, it must be destroyed.
I love this bit: "Initially we didn’t want to nerf the dungeon, but eventually the Elite density was toned down anyway". Duh...whatever...
They have taken way to much out of this game and put very little back in since launch.
justice bump. C'mon new dev team. You've been on a roll lately. See the unanimous outcry against this WT nerf and revert it.

This is YOUR opportunity to win the hearts and minds of your fan base. Give us reason to believe again!!

+1 please, and make it spawn 100%. remove the res cheast if you like but keep the area pre-nerf.

Yes... except when I played (like probably millions of others), we did not log on, farm the water tower, and log off. We farmed the watch tower, then several other areas, and then the butcher.

Am I missing some info here.. has anybody just simply farmed the watch tower and called it a day?

That's exactly how I remeber it. cemetary and then woods, WT and then finish to Butcher. All the BEST parts of act 1 in a fun run. The run still took over 30 minutes which was good and rewarding as an experience (not ness. in term of loot).
b-b-b-b-b-bump. Fix plz blizzard guys.
please.
Last year I went to a themepark (MovieWorld, QLD) and they had shut down the superman rollercoaster because no-one was lining up for the other attractions..
Said no-one ever!!!!

Themeparks don't get rid of popular attractions, they look at ways to make to unpopular parts of the park, more popular!
Learn something blizz.. Don't shut down the popular rides in the Diablo themepark, add more!!!!
05/01/2013 07:47 AMPosted by CrazyNRG
I think this is a pretty simplistic way to view the situation, but I agree that having a favorite farming spot nerfed doesn't feel great. We get that. The alternative, though, (at least in situations like this, where that spot is way beyond the norm) is that people feel forced into playing one tiny section of the game, and that's arguably worse for the health of the game overall.

You know what it "worse for the health of the game overall?"

Blizzard telling "us" the player base, the fan how to have fun in a game. You guys are really out of touch with your own game, it really tells a lot for the state you guys are in. Letting go of Blizzard North was worse than merging with Activision.

Agree.

Know who else is out of touch with players? Blues. Given all the frustration in these forums, I recommend they just stay away from threads like these until they have something useful to report. Their glib, empty comments irritate everybody and make things worse.

I personally think Blizz are going to drop this game as soon as they can. Expect a half-baked expansion, one more patch. Servers shut down in five years tops...
haha its like the foosball table at work.

i have a corporate job and upstairs not far from the the partners offices is a foosball table. of course no body plays it so it stay there. you would be stupid to play it, you would be fired or they would take it away..

i think this watch tower story is just plain dumb, and thb that blue post left a bad taste in my mouth..
04/30/2013 11:21 AMPosted by Grimiku
We wanted to make sure players didn't feel like they had to farm that spot or else they'd be missing out, so in patch 1.0.5 we moved it from Northern Highlands to Southern Highlands with the idea that it would require spending some extra time to find it, since that was one of major reasons why the area was so OP

But seriously, how can you - presumably a human adult with average mental faculties (or even better than average), write down something like this without your inner sensors sounding the alarm? How did this (and other things) pass muster and sneak past all security barriers that we all have in place to avoid us looking stupid. Read the entire blue post... How can somebody say such thing? What were they thinking? I'm baffled.
05/03/2013 04:35 AMPosted by hpfreak
the players can decide for themselves whats fun

This portion of 21st century gaming, actually, has been appropriated by Nanny Devs and their Very Special Design Philosphy. Nowadays they all exactly know what we want - even much better than we ourselves do. Oh, and "bump!"
Gotta agree i see a lot of problems with the blue post.

First of all, contradicting yourself like that (in the same post, no less) makes you look like an idiot.

Second, when is Blizzard going to learn that players will ALWAYS farm in the areas that have the highest density of elites. Why? it's more efficient. More to the point, players will ALWAYS find a "go-to" spot.

Third, Act 3 has always been hands-down the best farming spot in the game. I am anxious to see how 1.0.8 changes this, because I for one am sick of farming act 3, but gotta go where the drops and xp are, so that's where I'm farming, right along with at least 90% of the rest of the community.

Lastly, again, @blizzard devs: When are you going to stop basing all of your design decisions for this game around the auction houses? When? STOP ALREADY! The auction houses were, in my opinion, a failed experiment and an utter slap-in-the-face to your most loyal and dedicated fans (of which i was one, but not any more).
BS, I think this game would have been way better without the GAH or for sure the RMAH.

But the drop rate would have to change, this current gear grind with no AH would be VERY bad.

No way the console version will have the same drop rate if they do not have a AH. If they do, then the same dev that decided to move and nerf WT must have lead that charge IMO.
"There is an effective area for finding loot in a loot finding game?!'
"We will change that...."

I think this is a pretty simplistic way to view the situation, but I agree that having a favorite farming spot nerfed doesn't feel great. We get that. The alternative, though, (at least in situations like this, where that spot is way beyond the norm) is that people feel forced into playing one tiny section of the game, and that's arguably worse for the health of the game overall.

not when that location is visually pleasing even if you buffed most of act 2 ill still avoid it like the plague. !@#$ hurts my eyes yo. that act is so ugly it actually hurts my eyes
bump
04/30/2013 11:36 AMPosted by deLicio
Initially we didn’t want to nerf the dungeon, but eventually the Elite density was toned down anyway

Blizzard's policy: if it is fun, nerf it.

And that for a dungeon that isn't always there....
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]