Diablo® III

Upcoming Hotfix – EXP from Pets in The Scorched Chapel

(Locked)

Community Manager
Update: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/9623682/

This issue was addressed via hotfix on Saturday, April 26.

-----------------------------------------

Hey all,

We've seen a lot of posts about this subject, so I just wanted to confirm that a hotfix is currently in the works to address a bug that's causing player-summoned pets to grant experience when killed in the Scorched Chapel. We hope to implement the fix soon, and will provide an update to everyone once it’s live. (For clarity, hotfixes are updates we make on our end that don’t require you to download a new patch. Some hotfixes will go live the moment they are implemented, while others may require server restarts to take effect.)

In the meantime, since it’s not intended for pets summoned by players or items to grant experience, we encourage you to game responsibly and avoid exploiting this bug to gain an advantage. Not only can this potentially lead to your account being penalized (depending on the situation), but more importantly it's not really fair to your fellow players. When exploited, bugs like this can negatively impact the enjoyment of others – which is why we're working as quickly as we can to fix it, and why we'd appreciate your help in keeping the effects of the bug as minimal as possible until it’s resolved.

This issue was originally reported on our forums during 1.0.7 PTR testing; however, we unfortunately missed the reports before patch 1.0.7 was released, and as a result the bug went live. That was our error, so we'd like to give a big thank you not only to the players who reported the bug initially by posting, but also to those who helped bring it to our attention by contacting our Hacks team.

On that note, if you're not sure how to report a bug or exploit, here's a quick recap:

While not every report will receive a response, we sincerely appreciate everyone’s help in keeping us informed of possible issues as they arise.

For information on how to submit a good bug report, click here. To learn more about our exploitation policy, click here.
Edited by Lylirra on 4/29/2013 11:37 AM PDT
04/26/2013 01:33 PMPosted by Lylirra
This issue was originally reported on our forums during 1.0.7 PTR testing; however, we unfortunately missed the reports before patch 1.0.7 was released, and as a result the bug went live.

Just like they "missed" the Demonic Essences trading bug that was reported so frequently reported with 1.0.7 PTR testing, and "missed" the reports about Achievements not triggering properly in earlier patches, and "missed" reports about Hardcore PK'ing due to the vote-kick exploit.

we'd appreciate your help in keeping the effects of the bug as minimal as possible until it’s resolved

In Soviet Russia, Blizzard's job does you!
Edited by Duffman#1295 on 4/26/2013 1:54 PM PDT
Good to hear they are working on this.
XP'ing this way is really lame, but I dont understand how it falls under Hacks category.
As you said it yourself, dev team knew about it, released it live and I bet many ppl already exploited game mechanic, that was implemented in the client via official patch. Penalizing players for that is very weird move..
Now will you reset everyone who used the cheat to PL01?
In the meantime, since it’s not intended for pets summoned by players or items to grant experience, we encourage you to game responsibly and avoid exploiting this bug to gain an advantage. Not only can this potentially lead to your account being penalized

This is unclear. If 2 players both enjoy dueling with Zero Dog Witch Doctors (it is a fun build after all), and they do so between now and when the hotfix is rolled out, will their accounts be locked?

What will be the cutoff for XP gain between now and the hotfix that will be considered "exploiting"?

If someone uses their WD in the normal course of play and incidentally gains 200XP between now and the hotfix, could they face penalties?

Not even trying to troll, I'm just a big fan of transparency when "penal[ties]" are involved, and am suggesting you could avoid a lot of heartburn by simply laying out the ban policy, rollback policy, etc. ahead of time.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Lot of people already hit to LvL 100... You all developers so fast... This game dying every day... Dupes and Bot users everwhere also gold sellers... Maybe u can ignore gold trade?

I'm sure u are reading this post like that.
http://timemanagementninja.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/New-Breed-of-Slacker.jpg
This issue was originally reported on our forums during 1.0.7 PTR testing; however, we unfortunately missed the reports before patch 1.0.7 was released, and as a result the bug went live

very irresponsible, bad blizzard
its about time, mission accomplished
finally
This issue was originally reported on our forums during 1.0.7 PTR testing; however, we unfortunately missed the reports before patch 1.0.7 was released, and as a result the bug went live. So, a big thank you not only to the players who reported the bug initially by posting, but also to those who helped bring it to our attention by contacting our Hacks team.

Wasn't this months ago? And whats the point in testing and bug reporting if you are going to make mistakes like this? Thanks for stating that you guys screwed up but an apology would be appreciated. Simply stating you missed something critical that us players put a effort forth to state and prevent without saying sorry is simply a slap to the face.

Also are we to expect that you are going to ban and rollback players who have abused this? I know several people who have and if I do not see action taken as stated would happen to those who exploit the game, trust me you will hear from me on terms of your own duties.
Edited by Fusion#1917 on 4/26/2013 1:55 PM PDT
Not only can this potentially lead to your account being penalized (depending on the situation),

What kind of penalty?
04/26/2013 01:46 PMPosted by Holywarz
This issue was originally reported on our forums during 1.0.7 PTR testing; however, we unfortunately missed the reports before patch 1.0.7 was released, and as a result the bug went live

very irresponsible, bad blizzard

Seriously, I wish I could be mad, but it is what it is. Why have a PTR realm if you aren't actually going to work out the bugs that you find? It reminds me of that Seinfeld episode...

Jerry: "I don't think you really know how to operate a PTR".

Blizz: "Oh no. We know what we are doing. We tested the patch out first and found all the bugs."

Jerry: "That's just it, you found the bugs, but you didn't actually DO anything about the bugs."

Blizz: "Yeah, but we FOUND the bugs, that was the whole point."

Me: "Really dog?"

Good job guys.
Me: "Really dog?"

Be careful, you just used "dog" to gain forum XP, which is an exploit and you may face severe penalties after the hotfix
If those zombie dogs drop items, it would have brought the attention to Blizzard 69.69x faster.
Yay! So not only are the patches for this game pathetically slow, but now the current patches aren't even being monitored anymore! It's like Blizzard gave the game away to a buncha college freshman to mess with! I can't wait to see their next patch move this game one step forward, and two steps back!
This issue was originally reported on our forums during 1.0.7 PTR testing; however, we unfortunately missed the reports before patch 1.0.7 was released, and as a result the bug went live.

Well there's a shocker.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]