Diablo® III

Upcoming Hotfix – EXP from Pets in The Scorched Chapel

(Locked)

did the recent hotfix deal with this issue or some other useless thing like a rock out of place
04/26/2013 03:37 PMPosted by Lylirra
Correct, both our hacks@blizzard.com and Hacks web form inboxes are reviewed. As noted, though, reports submitted via those outlets will not receive a response.

Well it surely seems that things that gets sent there ends up going into some sort of black hole or there is an actual communication issue somewhere in there (and I've worked in corporate settings before where I've seen that happen a lot due to procedural bureaucracy).

Wizard invulnerability exploit sent to hacks@blizzard.com back in June before videos started appearing about the bug on Chinese video sharing sites in late June. No fix until videos and postings began appearing both here on the forum and on YouTube during one particular weekend towards the end of July. Hotfixed Monday afternoon. Exploit used since May to gain an unfair advantage in farming Act III Inferno (which back then, was a serious gear check just to clear Act II, and then even more to progress through Act III, let alone farm it; end result is a few were cashing in to the tune of several thousands of dollars on the RMAH from May-July).

This particular leveling issue was no different; sent to the same e-mail address back in early March once it became known that the the low leveling dueling bug that was reported back during the 1.0.7 PTR in January http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7758825838, now had a quick leveling method attached to it. Granted when 1.0.7 went live on Feb 12, the bug was initially used mainly to quickly level from 1-60 before an AFK method was established shortly after on a particular Chinese SNS for quickly gaining Paragon levels. Methods of that began leaking out by early March. Unsurprisingly, it again took wider coverage on YouTube for it to finally boil over to the forums, thus garnering you folks attention.

After reading that Blizzard missed seeing this particular topic on the PTR bug report forum (which I thought Quality Assurance also always read), maybe you folks need to implement an actual bug reporting system for use by the player base which puts all reports into a proper format along with an ID that allows it to be cross-referenced. Like right now, I can't say exactly what happened with my reports nor provide any followup ID.

While my own personal take regarding Paragon levels is that they were mostly meaningless (just a nice little bonus which is why I ended that personal grind/playing for any sort of efficiency a long while ago), it still doesn't excuse the fact that some folks spent a significant amount of time grinding them out legitimately.

I personally don't care about what about players achieve in Diablo III since in a game like this, it doesn't matter (unlike SC2 where it provides various ways to measure ones actual skills and performance against others), but I can understand why some will be upset. It's more about the principle of it all. And you folks wonder why an ever growing portion of the player base grows even more cynical about this franchise when issues like this aren't taken care of in a timely manner. For folks like myself who didn't mind taking the time to research and report such issues, I'm personally not going to bother anymore because it's obviously a waste of time.

As far as what I can gather, outside of botters, you folks have never taken an actual hardline stance against those who make "clever use" of game mechanics (and bugs within them) where they somehow did manage to gain an advantage (if that we're so, you'd hear about them on the forums and/or on some other related site). Again, the merits of higher Paragon levels aren't that great (main stat + vit, mf/gf - with mf being debatable since drops are still at the mercy of RNG) so I can see it won't even be worth the resources to actually deal with it, where it would be worth Blizzard's time to make an example out of those who abuse parts of the terms of service.
While you're at it can you hoftix ID All and monster density changes? If we find any bugs with them, you can get around to fixing them 2.5 months after you release the patch.
The fact that people have been reporting the issue, and nothing has been done about it (until now) makes Blizzard look like they just don't care, and any excuses they make (like "we missed the bug reports") look like sorry attempts at damage control (even though this likely isn't the case.) How does a professional company with hundreds of employees miss bug reports? To me, it shows that someone isn't doing their job correctly, and needs to be reprimanded at the very least. (I don't believe in firing people, except in extreme cases, because jobs are VERY hard to come by these days.)

Looks like I did not explain it clearly the first time. My comment was for all exploits for all games from all gaming companies. Not just Blizz's games, I have seen in other games where the devs and the majority of the community did not know about exploit X. Because those that learned about it. Either used it or did not use it. Along with deciding not to tell the devs about it. So that first comment means total silence from the players that discover the exploit. If you think that players are gonna be honest and immediately report exploits. Then I wonder what you have been drinking.

04/27/2013 06:42 AMPosted by MimSiE
True, there are dishonest types out there, but the vast majority of players ARE honest, and want a game where everyone can play on equal footing.

Look I know you say that the majority of gamers are honest. But I know otherwise, case in point there was a big exploit in the early days of the LFR in WoW. There were a lot of world first guilds that used the exploit. Now if they were honest as you say they were, no one would've used the exploit at all. They would've reported it and played the game without using it.

Instead they decided to use it, the result a lot of the world first guilds were given an eight day suspension from WoW. Even one of the world first guilds Paragon said that they did deserve receiving the suspension. Now if all of them were honest and their honesty was more important than a world first. They would not even consider using it at all.

Dishonesty is something that is rampant in the world. You are not gonna get away from it. Take a look here on the forums and you will find all kinds of threads. Where players are reporting other players as scammers. So many that it is hard to ignore them as just players blowing of some steam. Trying to get someone into trouble with a false report.

This is where Blizzard should be paying EVEN MORE attention, because every bug report can potentially catch any bugs before release, when they become not only a problem for the players, but for Blizzard as well. My dad ran a computer repair business (which I'm running now) for nearly 23 years before he died, and if we provided that same level of service to our customers, rest assured we wouldn't have been in business as long as we have. Yes, just about every company makes mistakes, but the TRUE test of a business is how they deal with those mistakes. I know the computer repair industry is slightly different from the gaming industry, but the same basic principles apply to nearly every business, no matter what industry they choose to enter.

The problem here is where there anyone that was trying to discredit those reporting the matter. Also did they give enough info in the actual bug report. Next you have to determine just how easy is the bug to fix. I know that it might seem easy to fix any bug. I have seen players who try to convince others that all it takes is a wave of the hand. Like the bug team has a magic wand that it can wave and all bugs would be instantly fixed. But that is not the case. You might even see the same thing in the computer repair business.

Where a customer comes in and brings in a computer that has a lot of problems. Ones that will take a while to fix. You might even have to order in parts, because your store just does not have them at the moment the computer came in for repairs. Then the longer the customer is without his computer the more he might think that you just do not care. That you are just lazy and slow. Maybe even saying you are incompetent at doing your job.

There is so much about programming that I do not know. But I am aware it is not as easy as some players believe it is.
it doesnt matter since some have already abused this bug to get their 100 paragon levels across multiple characters. unless they plan to punish the bug abusers who cares if it gets hotfixed. either it's a bug that needs patching and abusers get punished.. or it's a unintended feature they should leave in
So..is this bug still working?
So Blizzard is gonna punish players for exploiting something that they themselves could have prevented? LMAO. Thats like finding $100 on the floor and a cop arrests you for stealing from someone. But I understand this is all for the console version of D3, we pc players are just the D3 beta testers...
Informing the community of an exploit that you have yet to correct AND, in addition, you say the community will be banned for taking advantage of this exploit (that you just informed everyone about) will result in being banned...

Well, I'll just leave it at that because I don't want to be banned from your forums again.

-JJ
Apparently PVP wasn't tested properly, if at all.
We needed more high level W.D.'s anyway....the game needs more crawling snot, flying vomit, and weird giant monkeys.
You people are all arrogant and idiotic! Humans make mistakes. If one of you is a god then step forward and prove that you have never, and will never make a mistake.

If any of you thought about what you were about to post for just a few seconds from the other side, you might just understand why they posted about it now.

If Blizzard posted earlier about this, then more people would have known about it sooner. They figured it out, and started working on a fix, and held this off for as long as possible. Once it exploded on the forums, they posted this post so that the players know what was happening, but they weren't the ones letting people know how to do it.

No matter what happens you guys get mad at Blizzard, and it's getting really old. I'm not usually one to stand up for Blizz around here, but do you really think constantly berating every good and bad choice they make is going to help this game make any progress? It's not, and it's only going to slow them down more and more while they get scared to make new changes.

Games like PoE can pump out changes stupid fast because if there is an issue, they just go and fix it. The community there wont cry and cry because something was broken for a few days, instead they are happy they get to enjoy frequent patches with little downtime.

If you like this game, and you want to play it, and see it get better then help support the company making it. If you don't like the game, and can't give a damn, get off the forums and go find lives or new games to play.
Seriously why even play? Since I don't care at all about WD, i never abused the bug. However, I feel really bad for people that play WD and took their character seriously It probably took people forever to reach paragon 80 or 90, etc. All that hard work to have it stepped on by people who abused this bug at level their WD to p100 in 4 days because of blizzard incompetence.

This bug was reported a long time ago by multiple people but was neglected by blizzard, all because it's more important to work in the ps3/ps4 version of diablo 3.
As you said it yourself, dev team knew about it, released it live and I bet many ppl already exploited game mechanic, that was implemented in the client via official patch.

On the contrary, I said that we did not know about the bug when the patch went live. I'm not sure if that's better or worse in your mind, but it was issue on our end, and we’re already taking a look at our reporting processes to see how we can improve them to reduce the chances of something like this happening again.

We're not infallible, though, and we may not catch every bug or report, but we can always do better. It means a lot to us that players submit bugs and report exploits, and we want to make sure they're being utilized in the right ways.

You mean you didn't do this review of how you treat (ignore) reports nearly a year ago, after the wizard and barb exploits that were reported via general forum, bug forum, hacks@blizz, youtube...
but were suddenly fixed within a few hours of them going viral weeks later.

You are trolling us here, blizz.
That or just plain stupid, to expect this to be acceptable.

It's kind of a little joke we have, that Homer Simpson is the sole manpower at hacks@blizz and that Treebeard chairs the meetings of 'future D3 development'.

But, y'know what, Homie would pass on more bugs/exploits and Treebeard would come to a decision quicker - than whoever really is in these positions at Blizz.
Edited by Anuhart#2131 on 4/28/2013 2:29 AM PDT
04/28/2013 02:11 AMPosted by Anuhart

On the contrary, I said that we did not know about the bug when the patch went live. I'm not sure if that's better or worse in your mind, but it was issue on our end, and we’re already taking a look at our reporting processes to see how we can improve them to reduce the chances of something like this happening again.

We're not infallible, though, and we may not catch every bug or report, but we can always do better. It means a lot to us that players submit bugs and report exploits, and we want to make sure they're being utilized in the right ways.

You mean you didn't do this review of how you treat (ignore) reports nearly a year ago, after the wizard and barb exploits that were reported via general forum, bug forum, hacks@blizz, youtube...
but were suddenly fixed within a few hours of them going viral weeks later.

You are trolling us here, blizz.
That or just plain stupid, to expect this to be acceptable.

It's kind of a little joke we have, that Homer Simpson is the sole manpower at hacks@blizz and that Treebeard chairs the meetings of 'future D3 development'.

But, y'know what, Homie would pass on more bugs/exploits and Treebeard would come to a decision quicker - than whoever really is in these positions at Blizz.

How much data is needed before Blizz actually takes action is unknown and that is an area that they could improve on. And they can do it without going overboard in the process.

Also you have to understand that programing a video game is not as easy of a chore as you think. Just as any bug is not created equal, the same is true for exploits since they are treated as bugs. So some will be easier to fix than others. It has nothing to do with when a bug is fixed.

So the tinfoil hat that says they only move and fix it instantly. Is when it explodes on the forums is bogus. Saying that they do not care and just didn't want to fix it is crazy as well.

The way this rabid community has been treating Blizz could backfire right in our faces. I will illustrate with an extreme example to show what I mean. Blizz could say okay here is what we will do. If we receive any report we will treat that report as gospel and follow every lead till we find it. When some reports could be false and having them chasing their tales looking for things that do not exist. Then for the ones that are real, it might take them a while to find out about them because of any false ones that they are hunting for.

Then they would have to take action against the ones that abused the reporting system, instead of just saying it is only one flag in this area and we will see if more players are having a problem. It could even mushroom to the point where they communicate less and less to us on the forums. Where the times you would see no blue posts would be the norm. Where the only time we would be told about what is coming up is in the patch notes and maybe blogs, if they cared to write them up.

We as a community have to improve on how we treat Blizz if we want a company that is willing to open up to us and tell us the new features and changes that they are making to this game. We are being part of the problem as far as a lack of communication from Blizz. Just put yourself in their shoes and you will see what I mean. Imagine you were treated just like they are. Being told that you are doing nothing right at all. Saying to them that nothing that they have done for the game since creation has been right. When we know that is false, there are many new features that have been added to the game and players love them.

We have to stop expecting them to be perfect gods that cannot do no wrong, which if they were perfect gods is another topic for discussion, and see them as human beings that can make mistakes. And in some cases they make some big ones. But that is what it means to be a human being.

Uhmm, I love your defending, it's cute.

You did the same with the other missed bugs/exploits, insisting that they were not missed/ignored, but being worked on and coincidentally fixed when they went viral.

That's, funny, it really is.... but for the small factor that they actually said in this case that they did NOT know about the bug, that it WAS reported and that they FAILED TO ACT ON the reports.

As for the 'united community' thing.
It won't happen, ever, in any community.
The subject you see as a solution is the actual problem. Not the community, but that Blizzard treat the community as a single entity and ignore it because of how some members are. Same as they do with game mechanics, chests, pots, goblins were nerfed to oblivion for those who didn't abuse them.

You actually making the same mistakes as Blizz, in not realising we will never be a single entity, speaks volumes, actually.

"You haven't addressed the country in months, Pr. Obama, Sir".
-"No, there was this one guy going on about my birth certificate, fk the population".

I'll tell you what else is amusing.
If someone points out just how much dislike there is for Blizz where D3 is concerned, it is challenged with 'vocal minority'.

Yet, Blizz lack of action and communication is defended with, 'the community don't deserve any better'.

I mean, either it isn't a vocal minority or Blizz are treating the community this way because of a minority. Which is it, huhh?

And by the way..

Blizz employee 1: Ooops, my browser took me to the D3 boards... oh no, Shadow is trying to defend us again.

Blizz employee 2: Just delete your bookmarks... oh dear, be prepared for all our dirty laundry to be aired in public again, wish he'd let it lie.
Edited by Anuhart#2131 on 4/28/2013 4:39 AM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]