Diablo® III

Question about same screen co-op

On the guest profile that plays along will it use the main profiles characters or will the guest have to make their own?

Curious as to how this will work. And apologies if it's been asked before.
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III
View profile
I've asked Blizz about this as well, nothing has been said of yet just have to wait till they release more info.

I'm really interested in how it works when a friend comes over but doesn't have a hero already or is very different lvl, will we have to make new heros? or is there some kind of way to play together
Reply Quote
If they use the main profiles characters then it could be a quick and easy way to level up multiple characters at the same time.
Reply Quote
This is a critical question for the PS3 version. The XBox natively supports separate user profiles for each controller, and thus each player has their own account, with their own characters. But the PS3 still doesn't support multiple simultaneous PSN logins, as far as I know. Some games do what they can to fake it, allowing each player to pick which local PS3 profile to load, but it still only logs on with the first player's PSN account.

Most multiplayer games ported from the XBox to the PS3 don't even bother, and just force all players to use the first player's profile. But since this was developed for the PS3 before the XBox, and Blizzard's such a big company, they might actually do it right -- or at least as right as is possible within the limitations of the console. It's unlikely at this point that Sony's going to implement real multiple account signin for the PS3, due to the PS4 launching this year, which is going to support proper multiple account signin natively. And since Diablo III is being developed for Both the PS3 and PS4... I'd expect some thought to have been given to profiles.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
On the guest profile that plays along will it use the main profiles characters or will the guest have to make their own?

Curious as to how this will work. And apologies if it's been asked before.
How guests can play with you on same screen co-op varies between the console systems.

On the PlayStation 3, additional players will have access to any saves that any User on the system has; however, only the primary User can unlock trophies during single-system co-op.

On the Xbox 360, if additional players logs in on other profiles, they are able to load their own heroes from their own save files. They can also bring their profile and Diablo III save on a memory unit or memory stick and load it at their friend’s house, or alternatively, they can bring their save file and recover their profile from Xbox LIVE (both Silver and Gold tier accounts can do this). If the player is an Xbox LIVE Gold Tier member and they choose to use Cloud Saving from Microsoft, they can also recover both their profile and their save at their friend’s house. It's important to note that only Gold Tier members can play online with other players over Xbox LIVE, however, Silver and Gold Tier members can play locally and recover profiles.

If additional Xbox 360 players log in on a guest profiles, they cannot load their own heroes from save files. If they log in on a guest profile, they will need to create a new hero and when they quit out of the game, their hero will not be saved.

On the Xbox 360 version, each profile that is playing together can unlock achievements.
Edited by Vaeflare on 6/14/2013 5:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
is it cross-platform convertible for the save files? Meaning you can use your ps3 file and play with your friends on his 360?
Reply Quote
^ I immediately see problems with this, with people transferring to a stick (then a PC and *tweaking some things(like level or perfect rolled item stats,) playing at a friend's then returning home to upload the "changes from when it'd left."
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III
View profile
06/14/2013 12:24 PMPosted by MisterAjikko
is it cross-platform convertible for the save files? Meaning you can use your ps3 file and play with your friends on his 360?

No you cannot play cross platform. Even with transferring saves.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
As an additional point of clarification, PS3 players that visit a friend's house for some local co-op action will be able to access their own characters from either a save on a USB stick, or by accessing their characters from cloud saves (if they have PlayStation Plus).

How this works is that at their friend’s house, the visiting player would need to create a new local User on the console, then sign into their Sony Entertainment Network (SEN) account with PS+ and pull down their save from cloud storage. They could alternatively bring over their save on a USB stick, but they will still need to create a new local User on the console in order to partake in local co-op with their character(s) from home.
Reply Quote
06/14/2013 05:50 PMPosted by Vaeflare
As an additional point of clarification, PS3 players that visit a friend's house for some local co-op action will be able to access their own characters from either a save on a USB stick, or by accessing their characters from cloud saves (if they have PlayStation Plus).

Very unfortunate to have to spend money just for cloud saving. =/ At least the Playstation Plus program gives you free games every once in a while.

How this works is that at their friend’s house, the visiting player would need to create a new local User on the console, then sign into their Sony Entertainment Network (SEN) account with PS+ and pull down their save from cloud storage. They could alternatively bring over their save on a USB stick, but they will still need to create a new local User on the console in order to partake in local co-op with their character(s) from home.

There's no other way this can be worked out?

You're limited to (I think last time I checked) 5 consoles on which you can add your PSN account. If I have to add my PSN account to another console, I have activated that console as one of my 5.

There's no way this can be worked out WITHOUT activating your account on another person's console?

Or unless I'm reading this incorrectly, do you have to activate your PSN account when you use the USB save?
Reply Quote
Limited to only 2 consoles now, been that way maybe a year i think.
Reply Quote
06/14/2013 06:41 PMPosted by peteorx7
Limited to only 2 consoles now, been that way maybe a year i think.

Ok, so 2 consoles now.

Point is, this seems like a really obtuse way to implement a cooperative feature like this. =/
Reply Quote
you can always deactivate the ones you dont use.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
I knew there had to be a monkey wrench thrown in somewhere with the consoles. :/
Reply Quote
All I'm seeing is PS>Xbox
Reply Quote

Phew, was getting worried after reading your first post that this wasn't possible. :P

06/14/2013 06:23 PMPosted by Drothvader
There's no way this can be worked out WITHOUT activating your account on another person's console?

This is a limitation of the PSN unfortunately but it is possible to deactivate your account on a given console ID so in turn it won't be limited to 2 unique consoles, it will just be limited to 2 consoles simultaneously.
Reply Quote
06/14/2013 09:35 PMPosted by DamienJohn
This is a limitation of the PSN unfortunately but it is possible to deactivate your account on a given console ID so in turn it won't be limited to 2 unique consoles, it will just be limited to 2 consoles simultaneously.

1) Your main console
2) Your friend's console

I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying it is a horribly obtuse implementation that could probably be done a different way. =/

Not only is it a major inconvenience to create a new user account / activate a new console but on top of that you have to deactivate a console from your list and hope that you don't accidentally deactivate your main home console.

I guess it's actually Sony's fault, and not Blizzard's, but still. I can't believe that you have to go through that much trouble just to play cooperatively on your friend's console.

I guess the only question I have now is if you go the USB save route do you have to activate your PSN profile on the system you wish to play on.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
Knowing Sony, yes Drothvader, you'll need to do the activate a new user on the friend's console rigamorale. It's Sony's way of saying "Use PlayStaiton Plus or suffer". I've seen them use this type of tactic before with features. I never thought I'd see something more aggravating than dealing with copy protected game saves (very few games use them, and two fo the four games I own for the PS3 are the ones that do - SO4 and FF XIII), but hey, that's what I get for thinking it couldn't get any worse.

Hey folks, this is the digital age. Welcome to more and more limitations.

Man I miss sneakernet.
Caution: This cookie bites back.
Reply Quote
06/14/2013 09:54 PMPosted by Drothvader

1) Your main console
2) Your friend's console

I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying it is a horribly obtuse implementation that could probably be done a different way. =/

Not only is it a major inconvenience to create a new user account / activate a new console but on top of that you have to deactivate a console from your list and hope that you don't accidentally deactivate your main home console.

I guess it's actually Sony's fault, and not Blizzard's, but still. I can't believe that you have to go through that much trouble just to play cooperatively on your friend's console.

I guess the only question I have now is if you go the USB save route do you have to activate your PSN profile on the system you wish to play on.

Yeah I'm totally with you man, it's an unfortunate convenience for sure. Luckily for me I will be mainly playing alongside my housemates with local co-op (all D3 fanatics = I totally lucked out).
At the moment we plan to split the purchase 4 ways.. will be interesting to see how that works out.

Otherwise I have one other friend that i will be playing local co-op with so I guess that's my second console. At least I won't have to worry about activating/deactivating constantly which will surely be a pain.
Reply Quote
06/14/2013 06:23 PMPosted by Drothvader
There's no other way this can be worked out?

06/14/2013 09:54 PMPosted by Drothvader

Basically Diablo for ps3/4 is focused for single player.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so what I'm reading here is people complaining of always on line, now you have the chance to play a "more off line experience" mode of the game you are going to complaining about the lack of connections, and interaction between other people... really????? just because you have to either use a usb stick or pay a psn subscription.
dam this generation of gamers complain too much.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]