Diablo® III

Pro Monk Advice Please

Hey guys, I've recently rolled a monk because cyclone vortex is just too awesome in multiplayer games to be without :) I run with some pretty high dps units, so I'm basically looking to make a monk that can comfortably spam cyclone strike and stay alive on mp10 in a 4pl game. Damage would be great, but ensuring cc for the party (by staying alive) is the most important thing.

My first question is simple...what elemental resistance should I go for if using OWE? Should I even use OWE? Are any elemental types cheaper on ah in terms of gearing?

My second question relates to gearing. I want to keep my two spears (they are from my wd and I don't want to spend a boatload of gold upgrading), but I'm willing to change anything else I need. What are the BIS items for a monk? Could someone link me a good example of a "perfect" monk? I'm not talking top of the dps charts, I am talking about a good, well rounded character that can comfortably survive on mp10.

And last but not least, what are the 5 most useful passives for monks? Are there any that are required for all builds?

Thanks for your help guys!
Reply Quote
If you go DW. You can use this build with Zero Spirit Gen. You will be able to spam it pretty well too. I use this build over Blazing Fists a lot more now. I'm able to spam Cyclone Strike + Overawe so much more compared to when I use Blazing Fists.

If you decide to use a Skorn. There is a lot more skills you have to choose from. You will get a lot of Spirit Gen from your Passives//Gear//Sweeping Wind. So if you do decide to go Skorn way. You would want to gear more for it since your attack speed is so low.

When you DW and have decent AS. All you need is Rising Tide and you will be able to spam the !@#$ out of Cyclone Strike. If you really want more Spirit. You could use a SoJ and Inna's head with Spirit Gen while DWing too. You would have so much spirit if you did that, could be fun, but maybe overkill. Just play with stuff and see.
Reply Quote
I wrote a long reply, and it went *poof*
I'll write again later.

Test.
Reply Quote
Professional Monk...???!!!!

Your gear is pretty bad!!!

Low resist! (but not use OWE). Low HP(around 25k+), Low armor (3690!), Low IAS, Low LS (only 2.3?)

you should meet below minimum stat:

500 resist (with OWE), HP(around 40k+), armor (5000!), IAS (2.0), LS (3.0?)
Edited by ManUnited#3106 on 5/2/2013 9:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/02/2013 08:22 AMPosted by Trefnwyd
My first question is simple...what elemental resistance should I go for if using OWE? Should I even use OWE? Are any elemental types cheaper on ah in terms of gearing?

You can choose any type of resistance, but you'll find Inna's set and Nat's set to be very weak defensively. It'll be good if you intend to stack dual resist wherever possible. Typically at MP10, you're looking at 50k life, 4800 Armor, 600 AR, >45% CHC, >400% CHD, >2.1 attacks per sec. These numbers are just an estimate, the more the merrier. You'll need to be able to withstand the spike damage so that your dual LS can help to regain life. The fast attack speed is needed because you will be spamming spirit quite rapidly.

If you keep your dual spears, you will need to stack a lot of IAS gear. Getting a simple LS EF can help to add 0.25 attack speed to both weapons.

In a team with high DPS players, our priority will be to provide party buffs. This can be achieved by spamming Overawe very often (48% extra damage taken by mobs), and Cyclone Strike (16% buff when using Soothing Breeze rune in combo with Guiding Light passive) at regular intervals (or as and when required).

The general guideline for monks in MP10 is to keep moving around while fighting, and avoid the ground effects. Dashing strike is very helpful for this, and the DS:Flying side kick rune is extremely useful against boss fights (it can interrupt channels from Diablo and Act 2 KW, etc).

Suggested active skills: (our "cookie-cutter" variant)
FoT:Thunderclap (you can use Fot:Quickening or CW:Rising Tide if you always run out of spirit. Personally I prefer FoT:Q because the proc feels better)
SW:Cyclone
DS:Quicksilver for normal runs, Flying side kick for boss fights
Serenity:Ascension
Cyclone Strike: Soothing Breeze
MoC:Overawe

If you want additional crowd control, you can use Blinding Flash: Faith in the light, and take out DS or Serenity.

Suggested passive skills:
STI, OWE, Guiding Light.

If your gear is high-end, you can do without STI and/or OWE, and consider Transcendence, Pacifism, or Combination Strike.

Suggested techniques:
Cast Overawe every 3 secs. Guiding Light buff is for 16 secs, so you'll need to activate your Cyclone Strike every 5th cycle or more often when required.

This will give your party 64% DPS buff (even higher in Patch 1.08)

For your consideration :)
Reply Quote
Before I answer, I am presuming you dressed your Monk back in 1.0.4, and have not played him since. You have already read the gearing guides at the top of the monk forums and are just asking some questions before spending a 500+ mil gold, as you are aware that much of your gear will have to be replaced in order to play MP10.
If not, please disregard below and go straight to gearing guides listed at top of monk forums.

The elemental resistance is a personal thing, and it changes daily based on what people find in AH as deals. Decide what gear you’re going to replace, and base your resistance on the highest priced piece of gear. Ie: CC Nats ring or Innas Chest w/ Vit & Resist.

As for Passives, you will most commonly see Seize the Init (Armor), One with Everything (eHP), Combo Strike (DPS), and Chant (Spirit Regen). STI & OWE seem to be the staples, really good ... err rich monks can drop OWE and go All Resist. Most monks use either Combo Strike or one of the Spirit Regen passives for the 3rd slot.

As for MP10, you need:
500k eHP (min), more is better. Including: (I’m guessing your at 150kish)
- 600 Resist All (min) and 700+ Resist is better (your <100)
- 40k Life (min), 50k is way better (your 18k)
- 5000 Armor (inc STI) (yours is 3690)
150k DPS unbuffed (min for soloing without being stupid slow), In a group as a support, this is fine. More is always better.
Sustain 2.8LS (min), 3% with some bonus LoH is better, but if you want to face tank in the fire/plague, you need Duel LS weapons. (your 2.3 + some LoH)

As for gearing, you have 404 Vitality, ideally you need 50k life for MP10 (around 1000 vit), your 18k will not last long. Your Resist are horrible, I assume you are aware as you were asking about OWE. If not, PLEASE re-read the gearing guides at the top of monk forums. eHP trumps DPS in MP10, especially for the roll your trying to create.

As for DPS, you really need a good ‘the witching hour’ belt. After that, the basic gearing rules apply, more Dex, you want 3k, more CC, your low on several of your slots. Add some AS in slots where you can. You will note that most MP10 monks do not run with XP gear, there is just not enough room for that when every affix is either eHP or DPS. Your HF ring has no AD, AS or CD, a rare in this slot would help your DPS. Obviously your health is atrocious, so a +life% gem in the helm will help some.

Good Luck to you,
-Carrig O’Dailach
Edited by Dailach#1342 on 5/2/2013 10:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/02/2013 08:22 AMPosted by Trefnwyd
What are the BIS items for a monk? Could someone link me a good example of a "perfect" monk?

don't know if they're perfect to you but here you go
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Solo-1906/hero/3346248
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/photon-1551/hero/7881237
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/jco310-1218/hero/10229623
Reply Quote
Professional Monk...???!!!!

Your gear is pretty bad!!!

I think his title is saying he needs advice from pro monk - not that he is a pro monk. =)
Reply Quote
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I really appreciate the help! There has been a lot to read but I feel I'm starting to understand where I need to go. I've bought a few minor upgrades and done some crafting, but I'll now start to look for some major upgrades on ah. I should have clarified before, but I have +2b to spend, but I want to know exactly what I'm doing before making large purchases.

I had a run on 4pl mp10 today and survived surprisingly well. Plague still gets me but most other affixes aren't too bad. The only problem is I'm barely doing any damage atm...time to start focusing on some more cc ;)
Reply Quote
Hey guys, I'm looking into buying a new offhand first. It appears there is a slight difference between WKL and EF, but that they are generally the BIS off-hand weapons. Is this the case? I am looking to end up at around 250k dps...which one would be better suited for me?

Thanks again for all the advice you've provided so far!
Reply Quote
Your helm, nat's ring, and inna pant are all bad gear. First priority, you should replace those gears before you purchasing any new weapons. I notice your CC is pretty low.
Reply Quote
Ok I've had a few days to try the builds suggested and gear up a little. I haven't made any major purchases yet, though I'm currently bidding on a better nats ring and a cc mempo. I'll be crafting a lot as well. After careful consideration and a bit of testing, I've decided to go for a build very similar to PaulNG's suggestion. This is it: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#agYSfk!XfU!Ybccca

I have read through a lot of forums posts and received a lot of help in this thread, but I can't seem to find much information about weapons specifically for group play on mp10. I know WKL or EF would be BIS if I was farming solo, but EF is annoying in multiplayer (fear) and WKL seems like it might not be worth the gc. I know a bell monk wants a stat stick and a spear/mace, but what is BIS for my build? Are 2 swords best? A dagger and a spear/mace? Assuming I wanted to keep the spear I currently have equipped, what is the "perfect" offhand? A sword or a dagger?

Thanks for your help so far! I'm already farming mp10 quite comfortably with some well-geared friends (all +300k dps witch doctors), but I still sometimes die and I don't do much damage. Once I get my weapons sorted and a few extra upgrades I should be good to go! Once again, many thanks!
Reply Quote
Grow a beard.
Reply Quote
@Trefnwyd
Your spear + EF is great in solo.
EF does not matter too much if your party had a WW Wizard (and hope he freeze well), but a WoL build in a WW Wiz coop is restricted to the pillar of ancient rune.
Because you use FoT & SW:Cyclone (both lightning based) the WKL is good.
Reply Quote
my profile
Reply Quote
05/06/2013 11:55 PMPosted by Trefnwyd
I know WKL or EF would be BIS if I was farming solo, but EF is annoying in multiplayer (fear) and WKL seems like it might not be worth the gc.

EF fear can be countered by CS or DS. For example, you can dash to the perimeter and herd the sheep or KW or elite (DS:flying side kick provides chase + stun), or you can pull everyone towards you (which is already included in your build). Given your situation of 3 x 300DPS WDs, I think maintaining the 68% party buff is the highlight of the team already, even if you go in with 0 DPS. Without you, the other 3 players won't be able to reach super high DPS numbers. Throw in some health globes and these WDs will have 1mil non-crit DPS without even counting their high damage multipliers using bears/CoB.

With high IAS and CHC gear, you can also consider a fast attacking MH weapon with shield. You have many options available, it's all up to your preference.

When I play in MP10 Uber parties, I can keep up the overawe + 1 bell every 3 secs using FoT:Q. When patch 1.08 goes live, I'll swap to overawe + CS every 3 secs, since the WDs will have buffed CoB to damage higher than our bells.

WKL is best suited for lightning skills. WoL and CS don't deal lightning damage.
Reply Quote
I would suggest pairing your spear with a sword with 1000+ DPS, CD, LS and OS. Add dex if you have the money for it. Your spear is faster than an axe, and a lot of monk are using an axe on standard DW builds.
Reply Quote
Ok, I've blow my gold and essences and progressed 50 paragon lvls. My monk is in much better shape now :)

I'm still using the build I posted above, but I've switched FoT:Q for CW:RT. I'm not having problems with spirit (I only have to cast MoC, CS, and FiTL in group play) and I figure CW has the added benefit of reducing incoming damage. This is especially useful for squishy wds channeling CoB. Thoughts?

Also, where should I look for upgrades? I know I need a better WH, but I'm low on gold atm. Not exactly sure which crafted slot is most in need of an upgrade...ammy? I'd mainly like more dps and armor. I've also read that a ruby in the mh can sometimes be better, even if it shows a lower paper dps. This doesn't seem to apply to my build...is this right?

Stats (from d3up):
DPS: 207,424.6 (without follower)
Attack Speed: 42% (+15% DW) ~~~ (2.1 aps on average)
Critical Hit Chance: 49.5%
Critical Hit Damage: 546%
Armor: 4,694
All Resist : 702.2
Dodge Chance: 50.02%
Armor Damage Reduction: 59.84%
Total Damage Reduction: 91.29%

Area most in need of improvement?

Thanks!

PS. Monk rocks!
Edited by Trefnwyd#6696 on 5/16/2013 6:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Anyone?
Reply Quote
05/16/2013 06:27 AMPosted by Trefnwyd
I'm still using the build I posted above, but I've switched FoT:Q for CW:RT. I'm not having problems with spirit (I only have to cast MoC, CS, and FiTL in group play) and I figure CW has the added benefit of reducing incoming damage. This is especially useful for squishy wds channeling CoB. Thoughts?

I think the 3 WDs should be able to hold their own ground without the need for your CW rune. You already do a great favour by pulling all the mobs to them. Also, if you go CS:implosion, the party buff is capped at 48%. But do what you like, as long as your group is happy. I am guessing you wanted to pull a larger area of mobs, but that can be achieved by the 3 WDs casting locust or acid rain in all directions while you act as their epicentre. As the hordes get aggro'ed, your CS doesn't need that large an AOE, they will all come nearer and you will suck them in to the bats channel. It is after all team play, you don't have to do everything.

Your gear is very good, maybe try to get your life >50k for you to tank better. If you still want to upgrade your DPS, you'd have to squeeze in more Dex at every slot. You've reached the gearing bottleneck where every little bit of Dex, IAS, CHC, CHD will matter, and costs will go up exponentially.

05/16/2013 06:27 AMPosted by Trefnwyd
I've also read that a ruby in the mh can sometimes be better, even if it shows a lower paper dps

If you spam a lot of spirit spenders (CS, WoL), the ruby in MH will give you a high base damage. Since your CHC/CHD pair is so high, either ruby or emerald will be good for you. You can experiment and play to your preference.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]