Diablo® III

§ ShockNadoShards(SNS), CM/WW build [guide]P3

08/31/2013 11:42 AMPosted by timoseewho
Silly question, do elites get frozen for a shorter duration?

Yes. Freezing strength is nerfed against elites in Inferno that's why you need higher APS and CC against at least three monsters to really hold them with permafreeze well enough.
Bump cos takes too long to click more than two pages to re-link this awesome sauce guide.
I need to say a BIG THANK YOU!! PieHole this is an amazing guide! Not only have you helped me create my wiz you have relaunched my love for D3.
Hey guys! I used this guide to the best of my ability to create my wizard and spent about 100 mil doing so. I wasn't able to buy anything too amazing so please take a look and give me some much needed critiques. I am a poor guy so I may not be able to upgrade but would love to hear what I should save up for. Thanks!!!

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/derp-1948/hero/28837063
Hi guys, I have been out of the game since after the paragon patch and I just got in again..
Have been changing out my gear to play CM/WW.

I am planning on hitting the 2.73 breakpoint, but I am still slightly below it.
Needing about 6 IAS more.

Currently using Zuni's Chest + Zuni's Ring for the +130 int.

I am now torn between the following adjustments:

1) get Zuni's Boots for the 55AR 3 set bonus
2) get Nat's Boots + Nat's Ring for the 7CC 2 set bonus
3) change to Tal's Chest for the IAS, get Zuni's Boots for +130int with my existing Zuni's Ring
4) change to Tal's Chest for the IAS, get Nat's Boots + Nat's Ring for the 7CC 2 set bonus (doing this will lose +130int from Zuni's set currently)

any advice?
MVP
View profile
Chaotic,

The problem with Zuni set is the zuni ring. It really should have CC, but more than likely you should have an IAS to begin with (which would hit the next breakpoint for you). Adding CC on top of that is the dreaded TriPox (which costs billions). The way to counter that is to use Nat's set for the extra CC Bonus. THe chest that you have is great for mitigation (AR and Armor). I'd go for at least option 2 right now. You're gonna have to add IAS to your Pox though to hit breakpoint.

Option 4 is fine (which is what I do) but when you go Tal's chest for the IAS it makes it nearly impossible to replace those INT/VIT/AR/armor stats without spending a fortune.

Edited by PieHole#1628 on 9/13/2013 7:09 AM PDT
MVP
View profile
I need to say a BIG THANK YOU!! PieHole this is an amazing guide! Not only have you helped me create my wiz you have relaunched my love for D3.

you're welcome Wolf! I love to hear these stories!
MVP
View profile
Not bad derp...but a few things to upgrade. You are below the 2.5 breakpoint. I'd do everything I could to reach that point. It means adding 3 IAS somewhere in your items...which shouldnh't be too difficult.

1.53*1.64=2.51 and you are at 50 IAS. It might be tough, since you only have 4 IAS that you could possible add (2 on gloves and one on ring and chest). It'll be worth it.

Otherwise your setup is pretty good, just keep adding more stats. I like the high LoH from your helmet so you could do low LoH on your pants. LoH is expensive on pants, but not on helm. You could add armor to your boots. I'd add VIT to your shoulders. VIT is expensive to add, but AR and armor will increase your mitigation so that you don't need so much. You just need to strike a good balance. Good luck!
Edited by PieHole#1628 on 9/13/2013 7:53 AM PDT
TY Mr. Hole. racing my son with a new wiz. this is the best advice ever. thank you for taking the time.
Hey guys, so I rolled a loh Ammy quite recently and decided to go with mempo.

Can anyone help me with some queries I have?

1. Is 88% TDR really sufficient? I actually need to run safe passage so that I won't die (easily)
2. Do I still need blackthorne pants? I still have a AR/ 2 soc in my stash but chose the current rare pants for the ehp & dps
3. How do I upgrade moving on? I'm think of intel/ar/cc lacun. Is it worth it?

http://d3up.com/b/1062461/
http://d3up.com/b/1060159/ - 2.51 variant
Edited by Spyky#1981 on 9/14/2013 6:54 PM PDT
Hello fellow wizards! I recently just go back into the game and with the help of my friend, I've gotten my current pieces. I seem to do okay for mp7 in groups, but any higher i just get melted real fast. I tried finding upgrades, but everything seems pretty expensive for a small up in stats. Is it normal at this stage? What kind of gear should I look out for now? Also one question, how is total mit % calculated? Tips would be appreciated, thanks!
MVP
View profile
09/14/2013 11:03 AMPosted by Spyky
1. Is 88% TDR really sufficient? I actually need to run safe passage so that I won't die (easily)

So, 88% TDR is minimally sufficient...that's pretty much where I'm sitting...but mostly so I can push DPS and try to break 300k. 89 is really better. I was also at ~45k life. You're above that. I think you could shed a *little* bit of that life to push stats elsewhere...but don't go below 45k. I'm at 40k and it sucks.

Actually, what you minimally want to be able to do (in my opinion) is take one molten blast. its an affix that come up often enough....and you dont' want to move and TP out of the way, because you'll lose all your windeup and DPS. Being able to take one hit from them is big. ANd I can't do it right now, probably more from an EHP (life) sort of thing...but TDR plays a big roll too.

But, yeah...i've been at 88 for quite some time...after being at 89 for a long time. And you die less, and can take bigger hits, when you're at 89.

You should not need BT pants. If you are doing closer to 300k and get nailed by reflect then you might need more LoH than your ammy has. Until then, your rare pants should be fine.

I think your nats ring could use some help. 9/5 is fine and all, but the armor roll is a little minimal...and the LoH roll is kinda minimal. both useful, but I would rather see 80 INT (which is 8 AR) or 50 AR (which would be big) or CD (yikes expensive).

You boots are OK...but I'm sure you could push INT up towards 90.

You chant will could also use a huge DPS upgrade. Just try to stick to 10 APOC....since you only have 17 total you don't want to drop below that.

MVP
View profile
09/15/2013 03:56 AMPosted by Broccoli
how is total mit % calculated?

use a website like d3up.com (total damage reduction)

or

http://davidis.me/post/24090618074/diablo-3-damage-resistance-calculator

You're at about 85%...which is even a little low for MP7, I'd think.

09/15/2013 03:56 AMPosted by Broccoli
everything seems pretty expensive for a small up in stats. Is it normal at this stage?

Lol....i was expecting you to be closer to 175k DPS before you started complaining about the cost of things, haha. Try increasing your stats to get to 200, 250, or 300k....much less to guys at 400k+

So, you should really need cold snap. I'd use either Deep Freeze for faming (the +15%cc is awesome) or Bone Chill for a group buff.

I would say, in general, that you're on the exact correct path for everything...except maybe your Nats Ring. Generally you should have enough LoH from your pants and helm. Some people like to run with extra LoH...which is fine...it just takes up an affix that could be used for something else...Like AR or CC or INT/VIT. In general, I find it expensive to have AR on your nats ring...i'd look for an INT roll, or a split INT/VIT roll. Better to try to add AR to your main hand ring.

Other than that, keep stacking stats. Especially AR and INT. One difference between you and I is INT...i have about 900 more...and that's 90 AR. Huge. I can afford to have one or 2 items *without* AR....whereas you have to. Some of that is paragons, sure, but alot of that is INT on gear as well.

Good luck!

hi pie

its your #1 fan here again. sorry to have not posted for such a long time been down the path of the monk for my 3rd 100 character,

anyway congrats on the new colour for your words of wisdom!!!! massively well deserved!!

I am reading all sorts of stuff about the freeze wiz being screwed over in the next patch??????

what are your views on this. I was going to sell my gear and rebuild when these so called 3000dps wands hit the deck..... errm?

I would hate to lose all my gold I worked so hard for in building my guy?

steveb
Does the end game specs Include the buffs?
Should i consider the prismatic armor, bonechill, coldblooded buffs to determine if i have reached those especifications?

Here´s my situation:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Hellfire-1807/hero/3915553

The
MVP
View profile
09/17/2013 07:25 PMPosted by Hellfire
Does the end game specs Include the buffs?

Sadly, no. The wizards that are floating around here with 400k+ DPS actually have, 400k+ native DPS...no buffs. But it takes gggg gear everywhere to make that happen. You have to do a DPS test (kill gohm on MP8 and do the math (us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7004691927)) to figure out what your actual DPS (eDPS) or multiplier is.

Oh, and you are not actually running SNS. Since you use Energy armor to boost your mitigation your are mission out on 40% more DPS from running Storm Armor. You will never be the most effective CM wizard unless you switch over to this spec. Something to think about.
MVP
View profile
09/17/2013 02:58 PMPosted by Steveb
anyway congrats on the new colour for your words of wisdom!!!! massively well deserved!!

thank you, thank you.

09/17/2013 02:58 PMPosted by Steveb
I am reading all sorts of stuff about the freeze wiz being screwed over in the next patch??????

Too early to tell. Early data mining suggests that CM is being left untouched. Nerfs will be hitting archon and other classes pretty hard though. However, there was no mention of the CM passive in the data mining...this either means that its not being touched....or hasn't been touched yet. Same with WW. I guess its good that it hasn't been hit with the nerf bat yet...but that doesn't mean that it can't. THere are lots of ways in the next patch to reduce cooldowns, so I still think that CM will be nerfed somehow. My guess is that these aforementioned cooldown reduction poweres (from items or diamond gems or paragon points) will make the CM freeze viable again. Too early to tell.

My guess, also, is that they announce information about the Loot Patch at blizzcon, then do a PTR in december with a release of the patch maybe in January. That's a long time to wait if you sell all your gear now! My thoughts? Its a game...have fun with your gear...keep playing. All gear might become worthless as iL70 items begin to be rolled...but you're still gonna need the best gear that you have now until you get good iL70 rolls. And with no AH (ahhhhhhhhh) your old items will hold alot of value until you find good iL70 stuff. So, I'd hold tight. If you really wanted to sell off (on RMAH) you could do that....and buy slightly lesser gear so you can keep farming. SOme people are going that route.
Ok, Did my best to get into the specs and it took me 1:15 Sec to kill ghon with slow time!

How does it look like now?

I know its far from GG, but will it work?
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Hellfire-1807/hero/3915553
MVP
View profile
09/19/2013 12:19 PMPosted by Hellfire
How does it look like now?

Sure it'll work. You're at 88% mit, which is, honestly, overkill for whatever MP that you're playing on for your DPS level (MP5?)....A mit of 88% is good for MP9 and maybe even MP10...depending on how many deaths you're willing to deal with...or how skilled you are at evading damage. But, not dying has its own rewards: being able to run SNS for the DPS boost and being able to sustain when you're sitting in plagued/arcane/whatever. Its worth it.

Now...working up your DPS is the next issue. I'd suggest 50 VIT in your boots so you can recover an INT gem in your chest, lol. Add some STR in your shoulders.

your pants are interesting...with all that INT...but you are using both of your random rolls to get that ~180 extra INT (and nothing else essentially). However, pants can roll up to 300 VIT using just one roll. So, look for 250+VIT and maybe 1 OS (worth ~60 INT)....that's probably pretty cheap and, between that and the VIT, is about 210+ stat points (versus 180 with just INT). Yeah, its not INT...but you can eventually get 2OS, etc. And since the pants (and chest) are great places to stack up to 300 INT, it lets you drop VIT elsewhere and stack other stats instead (i.e. maybe drop VIT from belt and add AR).

just some ideas....
Yep.. made it with your advice. AR above 880, Armor 4848 Hp 38k, but in case i die too much, may swap gens. Made 1:15 in Ghon,
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]