§ ShockNadoShards(SNS), CM/WW build [guide]P3

MVP - Diablo III (Wizard)
View profile
10/18/2013 07:44 AMPosted by Achie
Thanks!

you're welcome!\

and thanks!!!
Edited by PieHole#1628 on 10/19/2013 4:04 PM PDT
sorry, coming a bit late but thanks for the answers Pia and MrDuMa!

in the meanwhile, I decided to change to non-IAS chant for the dps so unfortunately, I had to give up the storm crow for mempo too (AS, life, mitigation). I realise I do not have AS on my amu but I cannot compensate life and mit of the mempo for sure if I changed that to storm crow. cant you have 3 aps / 60cc / 30 apoc / 88% mit at the same time!? :))) would be fun!!:) (no need to answer:)

I have recently played with a zero cd zombie dog wd though and you know that just spams health globes which was a great combo with my wiz with power hungry

on the dps, Pie, you might be right for elites and bosses, I am pretty sure and I know that is more critical than white mobs. For mobs I think meteor is better (I use meteor shower mostly) but I cannot prove and probably I say this because constant meteor shower is so much fun so I am biased:) I'll check out the mentioned thread though!

all in all, I am at 2.77 as, 54.4 cc, and 19 apoc, appr 1200 LoH, 86.6% mit now and I will try to improve for more apoc and meteors:))

keep up this thread!!!
(and if any specific tips on my gear, I would appreciate it:)
Edited by naib#2316 on 10/20/2013 4:02 PM PDT
Hey again!

I've been powering my wizard some more, reading through some threads.

I have a couple of questions:

- Is it true you can live only with 1 APOC item once you hit 2.73 aspd?
Because I just tried it, with only 10 APOC and 2.74 aspd and it didn't run quite well. I thought maybe the 7k dps increase of a non-apoc source was worth it but it felt so awkward.

- I saw some people running unstable anomality over evocation. Is there any point where I can do this without hurting the whole setup? This passive could save my life every once in a while heh.

- Also, do you guys usually farm with a ruby-socketed helm? I can't quite afford the 70m for a 3CC OS mempo (cheapest OS mempo range) so was wondering if I should just stick to a CC stormcrow or an OS non-CC mempo. I'm not running hellfire ring and I'm also considering it for the extra exp.

Any extra hint on my gear is also welcome, thanks in advance!
View profile
- Is it true you can live only with 1 APOC item once you hit 2.73 aspd?
Because I just tried it, with only 10 APOC and 2.74 aspd and it didn't run quite well. I thought maybe the 7k dps increase of a non-apoc source was worth it but it felt so awkward.

um, not quite. the windeup is a function of both APOC and CC. Its multiplicative, such that having 45CC and 20 APOC is same as 50CC and 18 APOC (within the same breakpoint). Last night i was having a pretty decent time swapping my Chant Will out for Sloraks...I drop down to 9 APOC but have 63CC+8CC to WW=71CC essentially. That still leaves me behind the other two scenarios, but the really high CC at least makes it palatable....esp when keeping deep freeze up as much as you can. The place you feel it most is on kiting elites....you'll always have a hard time keeping them locked down...and will end up chasing them all over the place. With 2 apoc sources and high cc they'll stay locked down and you can kill them alot quicker.

10/22/2013 03:49 PMPosted by Achie
- I saw some people running unstable anomality over evocation. Is there any point where I can do this without hurting the whole setup? This passive could save my life every once in a while heh.

Yeah, i'm not sure why i use evocation. 19 APOC and 63 CC is overkill (i was recently "only" at 58, so I'm still adjusting)....I bet that you won't see a big drop off in freezeing efficiency if you drop evo once you get towards 60CC. At that point, you can add UA for the free life. If you're running in a really quick VOTA group...and your main goal is to keep things frozen, maybe drop a bubble, and make things as quick as possible,...maybe even drop CB for UA. You're not there for damage...but for the party DPS buff. Also, maybe this applies a little more when we were running keeps, but dying in the middle of a map sucks....and retracing an empty map is useless....so running UA in some senses is mandatory if you're playing solo. (all things being equal....if you have low CC then dropping evo lowers your survivability even more, and isn't the correct answer). When you're in a group and die, self res, and flag is the easy answer...no need for UA.

10/22/2013 03:49 PMPosted by Achie
- Also, do you guys usually farm with a ruby-socketed helm? I can't quite afford the 70m for a 3CC OS mempo (cheapest OS mempo range) so was wondering if I should just stick to a CC stormcrow or an OS non-CC mempo. I'm not running hellfire ring and I'm also considering it for the extra exp.

I'm not a big fan of ruby helms...or hellfires. if you have the ability to run a certain MP well, and not die, and are efficient, AND swapping to ruby or hellfire does not impact that efficiency....then sure...go ruby and or hellfire. If adding either of those two has a deleterious effect on your survavibility...and you start dying more...then whatever extra EXP you earn from that ruby gem is lost rezing and retracing empty maps. i.e. just run with standard gear, stay alive, and be efficient.

Thanks for the questions!!!
Edited by PieHole#1628 on 10/23/2013 10:26 AM PDT
This guide has inspired me to get a 1.78 Chant's, but I am broke as broke can get. Soooo, taking donations now.
View profile
10/23/2013 11:08 AMPosted by Megatog
This guide has inspired me to get a 1.78 Chant's, but I am broke as broke can get. Soooo, taking donations now.

Lol...yeah. This game will do that.

I guess its all relative, really. A 1.78 Chants lets you use both a difecta ammy and rare/crafted bracers as long as your other 6 IAS items are 9 IAS. But...you pay more for the Chant Will and the 9 IAS items. I'f you're AH savy, you'll find 9's for the prices of 8's eventually.

If you do Chant Will OS, you'll spend less on that weapon, but more on an equivalent pair of lacunis and a trifecta ammy.

If you do a slower IAS chant will, you're kinda in the middle.

I think you almost end up, for the cost, in a similar place in the end (DPS relative to mitigation)...its just that the 1.78/1.79 chant will gives you more flexibility. I liked it because I could use a very nice set of crafted bracers for many, many months. I could not do that otherwise...unless i went to mempo (which i just did recently). Same thing with ammy...if you roll a nice CC/CD one...then you can use it (and not need IAS/CC/CD trifecta).

Good luck!

Diablo III Wizard MVP | My street cred is limited to the friendly confines of the wiz forum
CM/SNS Wizard Guide: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8728753771 ......Danger:
SNS Video Guides: www.youtube.com/user/PieHole1628...Please do not feed the trolls!
Edited by PieHole#1628 on 10/23/2013 12:21 PM PDT
Yeah with my current set up I've got 7 pieces of 9 ias gear. I really don't want to wear lacunis or innas pants so I really think my best bet is to try and go for the 1.78 wand. Take a look and tell me what you think.
View profile
10/23/2013 12:28 PMPosted by Megatog
Yeah with my current set up I've got 7 pieces of 9 ias gear. I really don't want to wear lacunis or innas pants so I really think my best bet is to try and go for the 1.78 wand. Take a look and tell me what you think.

Some people don't like IAS because it limits your DPS...and it does. But you can ride it pretty comfortably up to about 200k before you need to plan the switch. i kept it till about 230k.

But, yeah, drop the ammy. get one with high CC and 80+CD. Boom --> DPS. if you do any crafting, focus on bracers - 5CC, 65AR for starters. VIT and double INT and armor are bonuses. If you do OS, yeah, you'll have to drop the bracers, but if you also switch to Mempo, you get them back (like I did).

and you also need a better a random roll on your Force. GEtting 9/10 is fine, but you need at least STR, if not VIT, and or INT/VIT.

edit: meant IAS instead of OS. Fixed.
Edited by PieHole#1628 on 10/24/2013 6:36 AM PDT
That's what I am going to do. Get a 1.78 wand and drop the ammy for one with cd. I will also look into upgrading the force, but that will be later, being as I'm low on funds and 1.78 wands aren't cheap at all!! I thought my current bracers were okay though so I'll probably leave them for later as well.
Why is this guide not stickied! Tired of scrolling to it! :P
View profile
10/25/2013 10:53 AMPosted by Megatog
Why is this guide not stickied! Tired of scrolling to it! :P

Lol...too funny. Its in the wizard sticky...but there's still scrolling to do to find it there too.
I keep checking back to it. There's so much good info in it! I just started keeping it in the background while I'm playing lol.
Hey, amazing thread, I started playing my wiz a few weeks ago and started trying for this build. I'd like some help with my current setup. I know my LOH is a bit low, only getting it from Storm Crow right now. I was thinking of getting an AP Chant Force and a Mempo and switching to a high LOH amulet but I'd appreciate some other suggestions. I currently have 60 mil to burn but I can easily get more $$.

I currently can farm MP8 but I die occasionally since my EHP isn't amazing. Since my LOH is low, I use Magic Weapon with the life steal rune.
Edited by Arob1000#1784 on 10/27/2013 9:59 PM PDT
Arob - At your budget level I wouldn't go Mempo, it is quite a bit more expensive than a stormcrow setup. I would get blackthorne's pants to up your LOH and provide some more defense and hit points (with some combination of all resist/armor/sockets).

You also should move away from that amulet, you REALLY need crit chance on an amulet, but you also need to keep attack speed to hit your break point, so you probably want a trifecta rare amulet.

If you go BT pants, you will need to pick up another slot of attack speed to keep your breakpoint, so you would probably want to go with lacuni bracers. This is kind of troublesome because your crafted bracers are really nice, so another option is to drop down to the 2.5 breakpoint which is very playable and keep the crafted bracers along with the BT pants.

You might also consider a natalya's boot and ring set. This would up your defense and crit chance by quite a bit. Look for nat's boots with int and vit, and a ring with crit chance.
Would you be willing to check out my gear?
Im having a bit of a dilemma, I am running MP7/8 comfortably, only dying to an occasional lagspike
but I am noticing it takes me a while to kill mobs, especially those that I have to avoid with champs/elites that have mortar plague etc.

My question is what should I start out with first, that is, what should I look to improve, replace, craft first to last. I am not sure how to prioritize in obtaining gear wise? Any direction would really be appreciated,
Thanks for the input, I made a few changes, going to try the 2.5 breakpoint for a bit. I decided to use a crafted amulet that gives a ton of vit/life as well as some CC and attack speed. I've crafted over 200 amulets and have some great CC/CD ones but no trifectas yet. Also the blackthorne pants really do help, I was trying to avoid them to get the movement speed on the Inna's but the extra EHP is great, those 2 changes doubled my heath from 30k to 60k. I think I'll probably go the Mempo route next since I already got an AOPC Chant Force.
@ares. you have to raise crit chance a bit. socket crow for CC crow for example is probably the easiest, but that will drop you to sub 40k HP. To overcome this, you could get a better vilewards (could change your str/dex roll for int/vit roll, so you get dps bonus also and higher int compensates as AR for str/dex loss) and maybe nat's boots (you can drop double dex, if you're not upto the budget for higher vit/int).
stacking dex is excellent if you lack it, but once you get past 500 or so, there's little reason to chase it.

higher crit will help to freeze enemies better so they can deal less damage and also have quicker diamond skin refresh (i calculated 10% improvement in DS refresh), so a bit higher EHP aswell.
10/28/2013 02:47 AMPosted by Arob1000
I think I'll probably go the Mempo route next since I already got an AOPC Chant Force.
Your changes look good. If you aren't going to use a zuni ring, you would probably do better with ice climbers than zuni boots. As I mentioned before though, a good alternative is nat's boots and ring.

Mempo is a good gearing choice, but it will be expensive. It's not worth it unless you get a crit mempo, and then you will also need to make up the LOH from storm crow in another slot. Just keep this in mind.
10/28/2013 04:34 AMPosted by JackStraw
Mempo is a good gearing choice, but it will be expensive. It's not worth it unless you get a crit mempo, and then you will also need to make up the LOH from storm crow in another slot. Just keep this in mind.

i object this, at least with nat's set. If you have nat's set and gone for at least decent crit chance on the ring (say 4,5+), then you're easily past 50 unbuffed. Every bit more helps of course (i'm running 61 unbuffed without scoundrel..), but going mempo even without crit frees you one IAS from the jewelery (amulet especially). A decent int/vit roll (say 260 int/80 vit in total with decent other rolls) are very much okay so you get decent stats for EHP (which you have to compensate with SC)
at least in EU, it's easier to get mid-loh (say 450-500 range), 8+ CC, high CD INT amulet, rather than 7/7+ trifecta non-loh trifecta amu with 80+ crit damage. The price differences are immense. Decent loh bifecta amu can easily land sub 100m (and thats like 8/80+ with at least 100 int, additional rolls and 500+loh), while even a measy trifecta (say 7/7/70 will cost more and if you want to have int or vit, then prepare to pay 300m+). going mempo will save you from IAS requirement on the amulet.

Also, there's a Unity DPS thing.
If you manage to "score" decent trifecta amulet with loh, you can go for no IAS on the ring. I know, it seems strange to go for non IAS on the ring, but Unity is different. Because of high INT roll, monster avg damage, 4% elites, CC and with good CD, there's really nothing close this side of 2beez. yet, even a high end unity costs easily less than 500m. i got mine (30-64/168int/4% elites/311 loh/4,5%CC/45%CD) for 300m or so and i've yet to find a single ring available on Gold AH, that could beat it on DPS.

so gearpiece vs gearpiece: crow will outdps noncrit mempo (especially because of elemental and elite bonus), but it may cripple choices elsewhere and as a whole picture, might be counterproductive. Where do you "counter" lack of AR? jewelery? bloody expensive with good stats. BT pants? gone is the awesome vit roll or int/vit. AR lacunis? get your beez ready.

but, the only way to stay at 2,73 AND have one "free" reasonable IAS slot, is going mempo (well, unless you want to go zuni journey or inna's).
If you don't plan to go 2.73, then it's okay (but then primary IAS free slot are bracers probably).
@ares. you have to raise crit chance a bit. socket crow for CC crow for example is probably the easiest, but that will drop you to sub 40k HP. To overcome this, you could get a better vilewards (could change your str/dex roll for int/vit roll, so you get dps bonus also and higher int compensates as AR for str/dex loss) and maybe nat's boots (you can drop double dex, if you're not upto the budget for higher vit/int).
stacking dex is excellent if you lack it, but once you get past 500 or so, there's little reason to chase it.

higher crit will help to freeze enemies better so they can deal less damage and also have quicker diamond skin refresh (i calculated 10% improvement in DS refresh), so a bit higher EHP aswell.

thanks for the advice.
Ill upgrade once I come across some extra spending money.

now another question, what should I aim to craft?
eventually Ill want to craft a better amulet but I will have to find more junk legendary gear first. So besides that is there anything else I should do gearwise?

I think I am lacking in CC, CD, and AR
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]