Diablo® III

Mac vs. Windows D3 performance

There are a few problems that D3 faces on the OS X platform which makes it much harder to enjoy than on its Windows version. I would like to note some of them here so that Blizzard may acknowledge these problems and eventually fix them.

First of all, my specs are:
≈2011 iMac
27'' Display
8GB RAM
2.8GHz Intel Core i5
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MB
OS X Lion

As you can see, they are below average, so it's definitely not my computer but rather your port.

•The first minutes of the game are painful and until I press my abilities and/or move around for a bit, there are incredibly bad lag spikes affecting my performance.
•Barbarian's Leap ability comes to mind. It always triggers fine but lag spikes mid-air, giving me a very hard time feeling like farming is continuous because my game just stops for half a second.
•It would be nice if Mac users had the same launcher as Windows users, considering how we have no Options, Info or Help buttons, and no direct way to access the PTR / download the PTR.
•Screen alerts also result in lag spikes. After a big kill streak, the screen freezes for even a second and then continues on like nothing happened, showing me the number of mobs killed.

These are just four that come to mind at this moment.
My point is that, in the past years, the Mac community has started to grow and grow in the gaming industry and it would be nice of Blizzard to start taking our platform's problems seriously, else I will find myself required to bootcamp my way out and play on Windows like the others, thing which I don't find that hard, but I hope that one day my performance on OS X will be on par with everyone else.

Thank you.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I've noticed that all Blizzard games (other than WC3 and older) seem to run better on Windows than on Mac. Unsure as to why this is. I'm still waiting on the D2 updated game installer that they said they were working on long before the D3 announcement. Supposedly it was going to fix a lot of the D2 issues on Mac, but I doubt we'll ever see it.

Both WoW & D3 have lag issues at points for me. Been that way on any Mac I've used and I see threads about it in both games Mac tech support forums. No solutions yet.
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
04/29/2013 01:08 PMPosted by Daelnum
•The first minutes of the game are painful and until I press my abilities and/or move around for a bit, there are incredibly bad lag spikes affecting my performance

This is an asset loading issue. It had mostly been nailed down in 1.0.5, but 1.0.6 brought back the stutterific texture loading and framerate spikes. I'm still hopeful that this can be resolved in a near-future patch.

•It would be nice if Mac users had the same launcher as Windows users, considering how we have no Options, Info or Help buttons, and no direct way to access the PTR / download the PTR.

Those options are in the Diablo III Launcher. They're found in the system level menubar at the top of the screen.

•Screen alerts also result in lag spikes. After a big kill streak, the screen freezes for even a second and then continues on like nothing happened, showing me the number of mobs killed.

This could be an asset loading problem, or something related to your software settings in conjunction with your operating system. What OS exactly are you running on?
Reply Quote

Those options are in the Diablo III Launcher. They're found in the system level menubar at the top of the screen.

This could be an asset loading problem, or something related to your software settings in conjunction with your operating system. What OS exactly are you running on?

My apologizes for the first one, you seem to be correct.
To answer your question, I use OS X Lion and I intend to upgrade to 10.9 when it launches later this year.
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
04/30/2013 12:09 AMPosted by Daelnum
To answer your question, I use OS X Lion and I intend to upgrade to 10.9 when it launches later this year

What I meant was which version of Lion are you running on? That can make a huge difference when it comes to graphics drivers.

As for waiting for 10.9, I suggest strongly that you get 10.8 in the meantime. It has much needed bugfixes that will never come to Lion since that OS has received its final point update ever.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]