Diablo® III

d3 evolving but what about the story?

can Blizzard make their story more interesting along with improvements on gameplay. The d3 story was a real let down clear through, and I feel like many others agree.

would anyone else be excited if they were to reboot the story? they wouldn't need to redo cinema tics. those are amazing! but the story telling that happens as you play, like the way they approached magdah, belial, azmodan, ZK, etc.

I feel like whenever I talk about d3 with anyone, and the story is brought up, the conversation turns to how disappointing it felt.

what are your thoughts?
Reply Quote
I think it's too late and we have to let go :/

But maybe in the expac Diablo and Adria will kiss! *audience woooOOOOOO*
Reply Quote
even if it isn't full on "adult" (because im not entirely sure what you would consider adult) at least make the story much less trite, and easy to figure out.

it could have been so much more in depth and memorable
Reply Quote
Too late, story is terrible.
Reply Quote
even if it isn't full on "adult" (because im not entirely sure what you would consider adult) at least make the story much less trite, and easy to figure out.

it could have been so much more in depth and memorable

Well, that's the thing.. there are artifacts of data and hidden easter eggs of poem, songs, jokes etc.. that reference the devil etc.. but it is all hidden and as far as I know not actually part of any real quests or anything in the game.. just allusions to cool stuff..

My point is.. they *could* have made the story so so so so much more interesting than they did.. they (at least some of them) are well-read, creative and thoughtful enough to have done this.. but they seem like they're not.. because (I guess) they were not allowed to include any of that brilliance in this product.

I agree though with the feeling/sentiment.. while I doubt it will ever occur.. I really think they should redo or add to the story.. they could still use some of the cinematics and voice acting work..

Yeah.. oh well.. I don't think it is ever truly "too late" .. but it definitely seems that way a year later now..

Sincerely,

~Philoi.
Reply Quote
They just need to make an entire new Diablo 4 and forget D3 completely...Diablo 4 can begin with Cain waking up and being like "that dream sucked" and then we all realize D3 was just a bad dream and we can move on with our lives and play D4 which will be the game its supposed to be...lol if only.
Reply Quote
I thoroughly enjoyed the story line of Diablo 3 and all the small side-quests/stories. I'm also quite fond of the voice acting and dialogues that occur during game-play.

That's why, I don't understand why people don't like it. Could someone go into detail what they did that you don't like? Everyone is saying it could have been better but no one gives a concrete suggestion or actual critique...

I've read a lot of the older posts on the story and many people seemed to like it as well.

What did I miss?
Reply Quote
I don't see what makes the story of Diablo 3 any worse or better than Diablo 1 or 2.
The series has never been strong in this area.

I don't want to see it revamped simply because I feel it would be a wasted effort when there are far more important things to address. If they finally make a good story out of the expansion than great, but I'd fully expect more of the same.
Reply Quote
I thoroughly enjoyed the story line of Diablo 3 and all the small side-quests/stories. I'm also quite fond of the voice acting and dialogues that occur during game-play.

That's why, I don't understand why people don't like it. Could someone go into detail what they did that you don't like? Everyone is saying it could have been better but no one gives a concrete suggestion or actual critique...

I've read a lot of the older posts on the story and many people seemed to like it as well.

What did I miss?

1) Why do Azmodan and Diablo act the same way towards the Nephalem? Every time your character eliminates an obstacle we hear from them that that was nothing, just wait for this or wait for that. It's very lazy writing. Kill Ghom? Azmodan's response is basically psh whatever he was a useless tool. Destroy the catapults, ballista whatever. Psh whatever that means nothing. If anything they should have just eliminated the discussions all together if that's all Az/Diablo had to say. It makes the latter act villains horribly cartoony as if written for a 5 year old.

2) The whole Zolton Kulle situation which has been dissected countless times I would just recommend digging up one of the Zolton Kulle threads, I participated in a few of them as well.

Those two in particular are just off the top of my head, there are of course more. Like others have said and I have said too, the story from the other two weren't exactly shakespeare as well, but they can definitely be criticized all in the same.
Edited by Kadderly#1572 on 4/26/2013 3:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
the main difference in previous Diablo games was, that even if the game had barely any story, it was ont force feed to you, each time you open a "game". Particularly when playing it in multiplayer.

I mean it makes you think about it what their idea was when they decided to make it like how it is now, in an game about EXTENSIVE farming ...

Or why the bosses are all "instances" and not open, like how it was in the old Diablo games, which somehow gave the game a feeling of playing in an yeah, open world. When ever you reach the end of the dungeon in Diablo 3, the gaming asking you "are you sure to get in there?" it somehow breaks the wall, disturbing you while playing.

The main problem I have with the plot of Diablo 3 is the fact that the characters talk to much, that the story is trying to be way to personal, about this one nephalem, trying to save the world killing everything that was evil.

The hero in Diablo 1 and Diablo 2, was a "mortal", nothing more then one character of many. Most of the deamons and leaders would not even see him more then as a fly. Even after you killed Mephisto, Diablo would not do much but saying something like "Not even Death can save you".

And now compare that to those endless monologues from Assmoda, Diablo and Magdha. You might realize that when it comes to the story of Diablo 2 for example, it was Decard Cain that filled the role of the main quest giver supporting you on your quest. While there was not much talking, the characters you had in the game did their job very well.

As you say, the game was not so much about the story, but it had its own charme. Diablo 3 might not be TO far behind the other 2 games, but the fact that you have to hammer on your space bar so many times because you heard the lines they babble now a thousand times ... makes it really bad.
Reply Quote
Giving the Big Bads as much screentime and voice acting as they did was a huge mistake. It turns a mysterious antagonist into a slobbering Saturday morning cartoon villain.

Considering this didn't occur to them during the writing phase I assume we'll be treated to even more awful hamfisted dialogue in the addon, so abandon all hope ye who play here.
Reply Quote
-Thanks for the input guys. I can see now where the shadows can loom over its intricate value. The game is indeed too personal, I agree on that, but for me I liked the game being personal. It made me FEEL like the hero, and it made me wonder what would happen next. My friends bought this game for me as a pick-me-up gift after my father had passed away, so when I saw Cain pass away I immediately grew an attachment to Leah and wanted to know everything about her (i'm a dude).

-The art of unraveling the plot is very subjective (after reading your guys' response). I dare not go into the mechanics of it, but I will say that they used some risky maneuvers to accomplish plot progression and it worked (Ex. Death of Cain, your one and only guide).

-The cinematics is just a taste of the actual story and complexities behind each character in Diablo 3. I've talked to almost every NPC and listened to the dialogue on my first run through the game, and I believed it to be so much more rewarding than just playing the game and watching cinematics. Learning about the followers, state of panic in the city, different factions, the Horadrim, everything gave motivation to continue progressing the story in order to find out what's going to happen next.

-There are a lot of unresolved issues as well that didn't come into a full conclusion, which ultimately leads to expansion of story.
Reply Quote
The storyline won't be touched until its time for a paid expansion, and then it will only be extended, not improved.
Reply Quote
story in d1 and d2 seemed darker too. I mean in d 1 diablo is a boy who's the son of the king and the warrior kills him and becomes diablo. d2 dark wanderer is diablo and the diablo fight actually felt like going against hell. then the baal part of the story was awesome. you find out what happens to former character and meet new ones. pandemonium was awesome. in d 3 I understand that some settings need color but some are just a little too rainbowbrite for me and I wanted to know what happened to the other characters like assassin or pally. in fact didn't they have malthael but we never saw him in game. magda just looks like she doesn't belong and she gets to kill cain? I was kinda expecting him to die but with a bit more dignity. make him the angel of wisdom maybe. I kinda figured leah was diablo's daughter from the beta, kinda hinted at too much maybe. I was hoping she'd be the new cain.

overall, I think that they were going for a grander story style rather than a darker one that most fans are used to.
Reply Quote
04/26/2013 04:11 PMPosted by tenzen
overall, I think that they were going for a grander story style rather than a darker one that most fans are used to.

The story is indeed dark, but the visual atmosphere didn't match up with the plot. I usually play Diablo 3 at nighttime, in the dark, with my ultra bass logitech headphones. The ambiance helps a lot in dungeons, especially in the tower of the damned (those sounds hella creep me out late at night). I have also reduced my gamma lighting to induce a darker aestheticism to it.
Reply Quote
I honestly think that Blizzard can turn things around for D3's story and fix it, but it will take an expansion to do so. Part of the problem with the current story is the blatant holes in the plot such as how did diablo, meph, etc end up in the stone in the first place? Other issues though are just puzzling such as how is the lord of lies so dumb? How is the greatest general ever so easily defeated? Why do all these villains keep appearing to the players but not attacking them?

I personally am hoping for some changes like Azmodan appears less in act 3, Magtha doesn't tell the hero's her plans and they instead head back to town to talk to cain only to see him under attack, having the emperor get attacked in the sewers and our hero "rescue" him, etc....

Still it could just end up where the story stays as is for acts 1-4 but act 5 and 6 in 2 planned expansions both have dark and mysterious tones.
Reply Quote
we need at least act 5-10 in the expansion to make up for it. let's do the setting in each of the heroes homelands. the final boss would be the dark wanderer in hell with all his minions along for the fight and his mini bosses would be baal and mephisto.
Reply Quote
I honestly think that Blizzard can turn things around for D3's story and fix it, but it will take an expansion to do so. Part of the problem with the current story is the blatant holes in the plot such as how did diablo, meph, etc end up in the stone in the first place? Other issues though are just puzzling such as how is the lord of lies so dumb? How is the greatest general ever so easily defeated? Why do all these villains keep appearing to the players but not attacking them?

I personally am hoping for some changes like Azmodan appears less in act 3, Magtha doesn't tell the hero's her plans and they instead head back to town to talk to cain only to see him under attack, having the emperor get attacked in the sewers and our hero "rescue" him, etc....

Still it could just end up where the story stays as is for acts 1-4 but act 5 and 6 in 2 planned expansions both have dark and mysterious tones.

Imperius will no doubt have a huge role in the next installment. His arrogance and beef with Tyrael can't just resolve itself.

There's a lot of high-brow references in Diablo 3 that a lot of people will overlook. This detracts from the overall value of it. =[

Also, you should check up Zoltan Kulle and his relation to the soulstones. It's epic epic epiccc
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]