Diablo® III

S&B Firebat Witch Doctor Build (/w video)

@EremiteAngel
Yea, I forgot... grasp doesnt work on elites. Turns out I got the best result using Hex to "knockdown" a couple of fast moving elites and "firebat" them. That seems to work pretty well.
Another way is to use mass confusion.
For those fast elites, I lure them to a bigger crowd of melees and finish them there. That's what I do in A3 Keep.

BTW, the real fun actually happens in Act 3 bridge area. Walk the WD into the big mobs in Act 3 Bridge, stand at the middle of tens of big red monsters and tank-kill them....

@Ender
nice mix of BT and Zuni! never thought of that inter-mix....

@GamerObscura
Maraj. set is definitely a good way to go too.
I dont use Maraj set. Would bad medicine be better than jungle fortitude for u?

It's really good to see how the new Firebats cloud provides a way for us in super-tank gear to farm efficiently. Although I just tried in ptr, the experience was great. Can't wait for the final release of the patch...
Edited by Luffy#1946 on 5/1/2013 8:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I'd use Bad Medicine if it was only me, but then my pets who are fighting and tanking across the screen, outside of my poison cloud range, wouldn't get the benefit.

If I was going pure tank with no pets, I'd probably drop Fierce Loyalty and use both. It'd probably be more effective, but I like my pets. :)
Reply Quote
well, I was thinking about firebat build when I made that comment (because of the way how the firebat WD tank the mobs).

However, even for ur pet build, I would use bad medicine... and get all your pets poison runes...
but then.... i just found out that the bad medicine doesn't extend to the pets poison (and protect the pets themselves). (Since the jungle fortitude mentioned the words "..and your pets" but bad medicine doesn't) I think it should work this way. That could be a suggestion for improvement of bad medicine passive.

I'd use Bad Medicine if it was only me, but then my pets who are fighting and tanking across the screen, outside of my poison cloud range, wouldn't get the benefit.

If I was going pure tank with no pets, I'd probably drop Fierce Loyalty and use both. It'd probably be more effective, but I like my pets. :)
Reply Quote
How sweet would it be if the cloud was affected by you PUR. I've messed around with this type of build a few different ways. Still trying to make it work for me. Really hard sometimes to let go of bears though.
Reply Quote
Ha... have you tried that in the ptr?

It makes a whole lot difference when in the new patch the dmg of firebat from 234% weapon dmg to 500%.... you will get double of life steal and you kill the mobs 100% faster.

I wish the pur could extend the cloud distance. But then if that's the case, I am sure that I would have pur on every single piece of my gear and make most of my screen covered by firebat cloud.... :P

05/03/2013 04:34 PMPosted by BOTR
How sweet would it be if the cloud was affected by you PUR. I've messed around with this type of build a few different ways. Still trying to make it work for me. Really hard sometimes to let go of bears though.
Reply Quote
I tested the Firebats more last night. This time I have my build at 170k dps (up to 200k with a Lacuni, lower ehp tho.)

1. I like the new fonts in the game. The numbers on the screen is larger in the PTR. However, now the game seems to be more laggy in PTR than current patch. (I am a mac user)

2. I have crit dmg over 1mil very easily (at 160k dps) in mp 10 solo and elites died quite fast.
However, I can only see around 450k crits in current patch. I would recommend trying firebat build in mp 7 or 8 only. That the killing speed is about what we will get in mp 10 next patch (my gut feeling).

3. soj: It's awesome! With a soj, my dps drops to around 130k. The crits could reach over 1.4mil! While my firebat is not a perfect roll, it's helps a lot not just the firebat mana reduction. I seriously think that the elite dmg bonus and the max mana are more helpful than the firebat mana reduction.

4. I went back to check the firebat soj prices. It's silly to see how big the difference is in price between a 6/30/10 and like...5/30/6. Actually any SOJ with increase in max mana and elite dmg will help firebat build.

5. Also I wanna point out...Lacuni may add my dps number, it's actually make my build worse.
My crafted bracers without ias (but with higher ehp) is much a better piece for this build.

6. instead of using a lifesteal weapon with firebat cloud, we can use firebat vampire rune with a non-lifesteal weapon. However, vampire rune dmg is less than firebat cloud. The dps of a non-lifesteal weapon is, in general, higher.
So this is another situation that the build have a better dps number, but actual dmg may be less.

I wish I could fix up my gems....I run out of gold for this month...sigh... :(
Edited by Luffy#1946 on 5/4/2013 1:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Thinking about finally incorporating "The Butchers Sickle" into a build...... If it works out, it could be pretty wild.
Reply Quote
played with it myself for a hrs. for entry lvl and budget builds yes , ANY soj is awesome..as i did much higher mp the i found the -10 vs -8 was huge for sustaining and not having to kite as much,,and almost night and day against the -6. maby it was my playstyle but the -reduction i found huge at late game mp9/mp10 vs some elite packs for sure. not the best shield i had but really cool looking and the 27% block on it was nice. it would be cool to find a really sick looking dread shield with the stats we want, even tho slightly less armor/stat rolls when i was checking em out the skull shield just looks so cool on us. i was hoping it wouldent be so fun and i wowuld dump the nice bats sojs(im a 200kdogger600kbuffed) but this was fun and options are nice 2.
Reply Quote
@Xievious
Congrats on getting that ring...that's hot dud ;)
(i wont tell Addict... :P)
Edited by Luffy#1946 on 5/6/2013 1:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Over the weekend, I found out one thing interesting...about Melee attack reduction.

This is good to have to tank the mobs. I thought it was only available to IK gloves.
(I actually got a very high INT roll IK gloves for my barb..totally unintended:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Luffy-1946/hero/28829072
)

Good dps, but lower my vital... i didn't like it that much.

Turned out I discovered that the Strongarm bracers can have melee attack reduction roll!!!!!
I bought one with life%..... only 800k.... dirt cheap.... with 4.5cc, armor, life %.... 6% melee reduction...
Definitely a good one to replace the Lacuni prowlers!!!!!!
Reply Quote
@Xievious
Congrats on getting that ring...that's hot dud ;)
(i wont tell Addict... :P)

thanks man,!! good call on the strongarms.

as for the skull, i havent showed him yet...not sure if i want to . hes a nice guy and dont wanna make him jealous., on the other hand,,hes on my f list and i know he will notice it soner or later so ill let it be a surprise.
Reply Quote
The new batch is finally here!
Firebat Witch Doctor era officially begins.
Reply Quote
The new blood ritual is must have..no brainer...for both pvp or pve.
"15% of Mana costs are paid with Life. In addition, you regenerate 2% of your maximum Life per second."

2% life gen!!!
For a normal WD with 50k hp, that's 1000 life gen/sec.
for a more serious tanky WD with 100k hp, that's 2000 life gen /sec !!!!
Reply Quote
Tried it today on HC mp4 act 1 in group play with a 50k dps WD. Kills faster than my dh with 100k dps. ;)
Reply Quote
@vondoe
Nice HC build!
My HC toons still need a lot of work... I am trying to get all 5 hc toons to lvl 60 first ... 2 more to go. ;)
Reply Quote
I toyed with it on live a bit last night.

I have to say I'm quite happy. I know not everyone can emulate my mitigation, but I was face tanking descrator tremors with my life regen and lifesteal. The boost in damage heavily boosts my lifesteal, and that coupled with my life regen and mitigation make me nigh unkillable.

I feel very viable now. :D
Reply Quote
Nice to see another nice tank build.... your life gen is more than 4k hp /sec with the new blood ritual...

The new firebat cloud totally gives all tank WDs a viable skill to farm in high mp games.

My WD with a shield can tank and kill faster than a shield ww barb I have with similar dps in mp 10. It's really amazing

I toyed with it on live a bit last night.

I have to say I'm quite happy. I know not everyone can emulate my mitigation, but I was face tanking descrator tremors with my life regen and lifesteal. The boost in damage heavily boosts my lifesteal, and that coupled with my life regen and mitigation make me nigh unkillable.

I feel very viable now. :D
Edited by Luffy#1946 on 5/8/2013 8:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
how does your build fare against range elites luffy?
Reply Quote
I prefer using haunt to get more mana and do some dmg to the range elites.
1. walk closer and use soul harvest to slow them down.
2. lure them to other mobs and keep them in groups. The melees around give u lifesteal and mana (mana after kill from zuni).

05/08/2013 09:06 AMPosted by EremiteAngel
how does your build fare against range elites luffy?
Reply Quote
I just uploaded my first video showing how I did in mp 10 keep.
it takes alot of work because of my suxky laptop... I was playing at 15fps or below and it's really hard to play... the quality, well, has room to improve :P

It can show the killing speed in mp 10 and mana management using a shield WD
Some thoughts:
1. stand as long as possible, ramp up firebat to the max and the kill speed will be amazing if u can tank long there. That's how our tank builds pay off.
2. dogs are our best friends. Make sure that life-link dogs are around and it will make a big difference when WD stand over plague/molten. (if the dogs die, it's time to run...)
Edited by Luffy#1946 on 5/8/2013 11:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]