Diablo® III

Lack of /nopickup is a critical mechanic flaw

View profile
I've been asking around over at Diablofans about this issue, and it appears I'm not the only one whom takes issue with this.

In Diablo 2, we had an option known as the /nopickup. It's the first thing most players did when they started a game. The idea is that you must hold down the ALT key in order to click on loot.

Without this mechanic, we're having 2 serious issues.

1) The most serious issue. Accidental clicking on junk loot is causing an interruption in the ebb and flow of combat. So serious that it can actually cause death in the more intense situations. You try to click on a monster and end up clicking on a Low Quality Sacred Shield.

2) Too much unintended pick-ups of junk. Numerous times having to stop and dump junk that you never intended on picking up.

This is an issue that absolutely needs be fixed.

The primary flaw is that left-click has two simultaneous functions (attack and pick-up) that often overlap and intercede upon themselves. A toggle like /nopickup is sorely needed.
Thoughts from fellow players on this?
Edited by BurningRope#1322 on 5/6/2013 6:20 AM PDT
Agreed... while I would argue that its not a serious issue, but it certainly is a no-brainer.

Serious issue I suppose if you are a HC character.
Serious issue? No. Would it be nice if it was fixed? Yes. Although I would rather they spend time fixing other issues like working on useless runes and passives or figuring out how to make skills that only scale with Level 1-60 also scale when the MP is raised.
Not really an issue. It's not hard to run from mob to mob and occasionally open your inventory and drop items while still moving.
View profile
Agreed... while I would argue that its not a serious issue, but it certainly is a no-brainer.

Serious issue I suppose if you are a HC character.

Just to be clear; When I said "serious" I didn't mean to imply that it leads to constant death instances.

The lack of a /nopickup is driving me nuts, has been for near a year now. It would be a great quality of life improvement, not having this be an issue anymore. Seems an easy fix as well.
View profile
04/30/2013 10:53 AMPosted by SirCris
Not really an issue. It's not hard to run from mob to mob and occasionally open your inventory and drop items while still moving.

Having to drop loot is merely inconvenient.

Being under great duress by a high-end Elite on high MP, we all know that every second means life-recovery via LS and LoH. When you expect to hit a target and instead you click on loot, your combat is interrupted and this is not only annoying, but can lead to death.

It needs to be fixed. This issue is likely going to be more of a pain to melee classes.
On higher MP's there is a ton of garbage on the ground. It would be really nice to have to alt + click to pick it up or at least have the option to use that or not. Also if we had an option to turn off white/grey items altogether that would be fantastic.

Edit - I would also turn off blue items
Edited by Mittons#1441 on 4/30/2013 11:06 AM PDT
Hear, hear!
We should not even be talking about this at this stage. Should've beend done long ago.
Oh this would be great, one of the main reasons I don't play my monk as much. Teleporting around and picking up mass amounts of junk.
I agree with the useless picking up of junk but why has nobody also thrown pickup radius into the fire.

i love having to take a useless stat on my gear just so im not playing connect the gold dots as i manuever around some arcane lazer beams of repairs.. i think they should standardize the pickup radius to 5-10 yards above the minimal 0 and let us focus solely on character progression stats and avoid the useless..

Paragon was invented to help with lack of money and magic drops i think it is safe to say we dont need pickup radius anymore either
While they don't implement it, use "Shift" to force attack monsters and use the "Move" command (forgot the default key, but mine's "Space Bar") if you're running away and don't want to click anything.
pretty cool when you haev really small enemies surounding you ... like spiderlings and the like, oh damn another shield of boredom picked up!
Liked and Sticky Requested. As a Barbarian who relies on HotA as my main source of damage, I would greatly appreciate this feature. It's so frustrating to hit left click and watch my character walk forward to pick up a Cracked Sash, rather than smash the gigantic demon who's currently gnawing off her face.

04/30/2013 10:53 AMPosted by DJINN
Although I would rather they spend time fixing other issues like working on useless runes and passives or figuring out how to make skills that only scale with Level 1-60 also scale when the MP is raised.

So would I, but skill balancing takes time, critical thinking, and lots of programming. A no-pickup option would be relatively simple to add by comparison.
Just program 1 of your extra mouse buttons to be Shift+Click. If your in the thick of it use this and you will never pick up anything.
Edited by Spaceghost#1311 on 4/30/2013 11:26 AM PDT
YES! This is something I really, REALLY want. I have searched everywhere in options, but to no avail. It infuriates me when junk drops while I'm fighting and I nearly die in the middle of a nice champ pack because I grabbed a blue off of the ground. Wish I could just turn off blues/whites/greys as well.

Maybe we could get a more vibrant/noticeable cursor as well? Mmmm.
View profile
04/30/2013 10:46 AMPosted by BurningRope
In Diablo 2, we had an option known as the /nopickup. It's the first thing most players did when they started a game. The idea is that you must hold down the ALT key in order to click on loot.

... This is the first I'm hearing about this feature. Really wish I'd had known about it in the past, but thanks :)
View profile

... This is the first I'm hearing about this feature. Really wish I'd had known about it in the past, but thanks :)

I was actually quite puzzled by the fact that /nopickup wasn't included. An oversight I assume, but it's time for D3 to clean up some more of these "oversights".

HoTa Barbs seem to really be affected, from what I'm hearing. My monk has issues with this as well, probably part of the reason why this hasn't been a big issue is that it primarily affects melee classes whom fight in the trenches where all the loot falls.

I would encourage everyone to click 'like' so that this issue gets some attention soon.
Edited by BurningRope#1322 on 4/30/2013 12:25 PM PDT
- Diablo III
View profile
It's certainly something nice to have. I wouldn't be surprised if this would be included sometime in the future as a quality of life sort of change.

It probably hasn't been implemented yet because, as mentioned, it's mostly melee classes that are heavily affected by this so it's not something heavily troubling the vast majority of players. As an example, throughout a given run, as an Archon wizard, I may only unintentionally pick up one (if not any) item. In my limited time playing melee classes, even though I don't see picking up undesired items as a major "problem," having a no-pickup option is welcomed.

Perhaps make it like toggling visibility of items on the ground? I currently have my GRAVE key as toggling item names on and off the ground. Perhaps a similar function could be included. No need to even hold down ALT.
Edited by Jaetch#1861 on 4/30/2013 12:53 PM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]