Diablo® III

Lack of /nopickup is a critical mechanic flaw

View profile
Aww - but I like the countless hours wasted dropping whites and blues back on the ground because they have absolutely no value. If you make me not automatically pick them up then what is the point to them in the game?

Before playing D3 I often wondered if you filled a pinata with poo and gave it to kids if they would still hit it... now I know my answer...

I don't really mind all the junk. After so many years of playing D2, kinda got used to a screen full of trash. It's all part of the games internal drop mechanism.

As well, it makes sense that if you're killing hundreds of rando minions, many of them would indeed be carrying junk.

I have no issue with whites/blues/greys dropping.

My issue is; Why are these items clickable, without pushing (for example) the ALT key to trigger them as clickable?
while it may be annoying, a critical issue this is not. I generally have enough control to pick up items without getting more than one grey item in a giant pile. It takes me about 5 seconds to drop it.

its not that big a deal.
View profile
while it may be annoying, a critical issue this is not. I generally have enough control to pick up items without getting more than one grey item in a giant pile. It takes me about 5 seconds to drop it.

its not that big a deal.

I used the words "Critical" and "serious" for a few reasons. Many people are saying exactly what I am. They go to town and have 10+ pieces of junk in their inventory. Each one has to be click-dragged individually onto the ground.

Seconds make minutes. Do this about 30 times in a single play session (a conservative estimate) and you've just spent several minutes of your time dropping junk that you should never have picked up.

2nd; mis-clicks on junk interrupt the flow of combat. D3 has outstanding combat mechanics and tripping and stumbling over loot on the ground betrays this.

3rd; This issue is HUGE with HotA barbs. It can even cause death in the more intense situations. Something that us HC players consider to be quite "serious".

4th; This is a VERY EASY fix to make. VERY VERY EASY. They could have it done tomorrow if they wanted. It's been a year, time to fix this.

5th; This is a very consistent/persistent issue. It is not a rare event to have to drop 6+ pieces of junk. It is not rare that you miss a blow in combat because you clicked on junk loot.

Add it up. Consider all the factors and yes sir, this is a serious issue.
I have to agree with this issue.

In softcore i found it to be really annoying that it breaks the flow of combat.

Now that i'm playing mostly hardcore, I see it as a potential risk of death.

Somethin needs to be done about this imo.
View profile
Did these developers even LOOK at similar ARPG that were produced since Diablo 2 came out? lIke Titan Quest?

This game had the option to ONLY see magic level loot ... grey and white loot DID drop .. but you could filter it on with an option.

So many things in a game like Titan Quest that would have been great in D3. (and frankly I was expecting after years of development) (like elemental damage actually having an effect and the sheer number of runes/gems it had for socketed items) .. to simply a game that had a pretty long campaign (more "base" content than D3) .. and the whole concept of combining classes ... instead of 5 classes .. the game let you have numerous comboes of classes .. essentially giving you about 45 different class comboes.

Not bad for a game that came out like 6 years before Diablo 3?
View profile
I have to agree with this issue.

In softcore i found it to be really annoying that it breaks the flow of combat.

Now that i'm playing mostly hardcore, I see it as a potential risk of death.

Somethin needs to be done about this imo.

Agreed and thank you.

I'll ask again for everyone whom takes issue with this, PLEASE click 'like' on the OP so that this matter gets immediate attention from the proper persons.

Blizzard has been great at implementing player requests when said request is popular enough. We can do our part to bring these matters to their attention.
This is definitely needed. I didn't notice it too much when I was spinning-to-win on my Barb, but I started playing a Monk and this is ridiculously annoying. I remember that /nopickup was brought up at one point before release and Blizzard didn't seem to think it was necessary--I've never understood why they thought that.
Edited by tanis0#1871 on 4/30/2013 5:27 PM PDT
Someone has suggested to put a "don't show whites/blues" option and it was addressed by a Blue saying that it is unnecessary.

I find it strange that they said no to the idea =(
Someone has suggested to put a "don't show whites/blues" option and it was addressed by a Blue saying that it is unnecessary.

So do I, but I understand their reasoning somewhat. It's kinda cool to kill a monster and see tons of loot burst out of its corpse, even if you know that most of it will be White or Blue junk. The problem is that we should be able to leave that junk where it belongs: on the ground, looking pretty but not doing anything. It shouldn't be cluttering up our inventories or disrupting the flow of combat.

They said no to ID all and other things at the beginning too.

Why is it strange?
I'd love to at least have an option to filter whites, blues and grays from the HuD. Many games have a pickup key as well (dungeon siege, for instance), and it doesn't get i the way of the game, and actually helps keep the pace of action. It would be a nice quality of life improvement for D3 coupled with customizable filters for each item quality.
I see you are a monk. If you put your main attack skill on right click, you can hold it down and attack monsters/move without picking up items. You can only pick up items with left click.
I also see that you use more than one primary attack skill, so this may not be super helpful, but it might be for some.
04/30/2013 10:59 AMPosted by BurningRope
When you expect to hit a target and instead you click on loot, your combat is interrupted and this is not only annoying, but can lead to death.

Agreed. Make it a Gameplay Option.
View profile
I see you are a monk. If you put your main attack skill on right click, you can hold it down and attack monsters/move without picking up items. You can only pick up items with left click.
I also see that you use more than one primary attack skill, so this may not be super helpful, but it might be for some.

Yep.

The combo-strike build I use means I'm in the trenches, swimming in loot, and constantly left-click....right click.....left ....right....etc etc...

Thus, I constantly pick-up/stumble over loot. Hence the reason why some players aren't bothered by this issue, or even aware of it. This issue gets real bad depending on class/play-style.
I agree with OP

People saying its not a problem or isn't that big of an issue probably didn't play D2x. When to much loot is on the ground the text can be overwhelming on your eyes.
Corpse looting in the middle of a plague-arcane-desecrator pool is beyond annoying and hard to avoid when fighting some fast moving elites.
Many times I've had to stop my character because suddenly they are trying to wade through a mob to loot a corpse or pickup some garbage. Some of my friends liked to run whimseyshire for stacks before doing ubers and I finally had to convince them to stop because of how many times those stupid clouds killed me on a misclick.
I agree this is annoying. I like kiting, but don't like using a move only shortcut (I find it quite weird to use and largely prefer the flow of left-clicking to move).

So, to counter these misclicks, I use the force immobilization shortcut. The issue is that you must press it before left-clicking or it won't work. So even a tiny desynchronization on my part will end up in my character picking up loot/shooting barrels/opening chesst/going around an obstacle to reach a monster, which then makes me going back and forth instead of stutter stepping.

Wouldn't it be possible to make the force immobilization shortcut always take precedence over any action? That would probably only be a partial fix for melee characters, but that would definitely help my gameplay! :-p
This sounds like a request for a feature more then a "serious mechanic flaw"
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]