Diablo® III

Lack of /nopickup is a critical mechanic flaw

View profile
06/10/2013 10:29 AMPosted by MisterAjikko
I don't think a lot of people understand that this is more than just a QOL adjustment, it is more than just a "too much stuff on the ground adjustment". More options in the game is good, clicking on an item when you mean to click on a mob needs to be fixed. I hold down my left click in a mob pack and pick up an item then just stand there with the mouse button held down, in the midst of all the action with 2 or more others I cant see what my character is doing for a couple seconds (just standing there with mouse button held down) and it causes death in some cases and frustration in all cases.

and in hardcore mode, players will lose the item they picked up (legendaries or white/blue item don't matter) since you won't have a chance to resurrect yourself to check what item you picked up.

Yep.

Collecting loot is for after the battle. If a player wishes to stop and grab something, they should have a button like ALT to hold while they pick the item up.

Point being, it doesn't matter how great they make loot. This will always be a problem until they just knock off the over-thinking and fix it.

Remember everyone, this was exactly their attitude when players started throwing a fit about individual identification.

I'll say one thing about Blizzard. They sure can put up a helluva battle against common sense.
^^ Agreed. I guess I just don't see the big argument for NOT implementing this feature. Is the development team THAT lazy that they can't implement this? Or is it a lack of talent? I've said it before; Any other team would have fixed this within a couple weeks, including F2P devs. And they definitely would have communicated better with their fan-base.

I am almost to the point where I'm ready to quit again, totally abandoning my P100 quest. Out of Principle.
I've been asking around over at Diablofans about this issue, and it appears I'm not the only one whom takes issue with this.

In Diablo 2, we had an option known as the /nopickup. It's the first thing most players did when they started a game. The idea is that you must hold down the ALT key in order to click on loot.

Without this mechanic, we're having 2 serious issues.

1) The most serious issue. Accidental clicking on junk loot is causing an interruption in the ebb and flow of combat. So serious that it can actually cause death in the more intense situations. You try to click on a monster and end up clicking on a Low Quality Sacred Shield.

2) Too much unintended pick-ups of junk. Numerous times having to stop and dump junk that you never intended on picking up.

This is an issue that absolutely needs be fixed.

The primary flaw is that left-click has two simultaneous functions (attack and pick-up) that often overlap and intercede upon themselves. A toggle like /nopickup is sorely needed.
Thoughts from fellow players on this?
Thanks for the constructive discussion!

We agree that it can be annoying when you accidentally pick up loot, but rather than add additional options to the game, we’d rather look at ways to reduce the overall number of items on the ground, while increasing the overall quality of dropped loot. Going forward, we’d like to make it seem like every item has a reason to be picked up at various points in the game.

lol is that to much for D3 playerbase to handle 1 more checkbox (Loot items only ALT key is pressed)?

i've reached a point where i can handle higher Mp levels but because higher MP = more drops and more drops = more items picked by accident instead of attacking i can no longer play this game

hope things will change...
And now, here we are 17 posts away from thread-lock, and the only official response has been a brush off. 26 pages of (mostly) constructive discussion with valid points and quality justification (minus a few posts of bantering and people trying to derail this thread with screen shaking).

And that's just this thread alone...nevermind the one I started in BETA, and who knows how many others between then and now, and how many others on [InsertRandomDiabloForumNameHere].

It's as though Blizzard has two main choices:

1) Acknowledge the issue and implement the fix suggested (one that was already in the game's predecessor). This would make the players that are affected by this issue (all melee classes, pretty much) very satisfied and encourage them to continue playing the game.

2) Acknowledge the issue and just straight up tell us that no, we refuse to fix it because (we don't care / we're lazy / we have better things to do / wait, there's an issue?). This would make the affected players very unhappy and would likely result in boycotting / quitting (which, actually, finally has a bearing on the company because of the RMAH).

But of course, they'll probably just pull a Blizzard and go with cowardly cop-out option:

3) Half-acknowledge that an issue even exists, dance around with talk of future patches that will "improve itemization" and then never again respond, leaving people to wonder whether they're even being listened to and whether it's even worth suggesting anything, ever. As has happened so far in this thread.

Sigh.

DECLARE ItemLabelOnMouseHover char(1) --this visual toggle already exists for ALT press
--Insert GUI change here, creation of checkbox "OneExtraCheckboxInGUI"

IF OneExtraCheckboxInGUI = 1
SET ItemLabelOnMouseHover = 'N' -- /nopickup
ELSE
SET ItemLabelOnMouseHover = 'Y' -- the way it is now
Edited by BaTz#1596 on 6/10/2013 5:03 PM PDT
And now, here we are 17 posts away from thread-lock, and the only official response has been a brush off. 26 pages of (mostly) constructive discussion with valid points and quality justification (minus a few posts of bantering and people trying to derail this thread with screen shaking).

And that's just this thread alone...nevermind the one I started in BETA, and who knows how many others between then and now, and how many others on [InsertRandomDiabloForumNameHere].

It's as though Blizzard has two main choices:

1) Acknowledge the issue and implement the fix suggested (one that was already in the game's predecessor). This would make the players that are affected by this issue (all melee classes, pretty much) very satisfied and encourage them to continue playing the game.

2) Acknowledge the issue and just straight up tell us that no, we refuse to fix it because (we don't care / we're lazy / we have better things to do / wait, there's an issue?). This would make the affected players very unhappy and would likely result in boycotting / quitting (which, actually, finally has a bearing on the company because of the RMAH).

But of course, they'll probably just pull a Blizzard and go with cowardly cop-out option:

3) Half-acknowledge that an issue even exists, dance around with talk of future patches that will "improve itemization" and then never again respond, leaving people to wonder whether they're even being listened to and whether it's even worth suggesting anything, ever. As has happened so far in this thread.

Sigh.

DECLARE ItemLabelOnMouseHover char(1) --this visual toggle already exists for ALT press
--Insert GUI change here, creation of checkbox "OneExtraCheckboxInGUI"

IF OneExtraCheckboxInGUI = 1
SET ItemLabelOnMouseHover = 'N' -- /nopickup
ELSE
SET ItemLabelOnMouseHover = 'Y' -- the way it is now

Someone buy this man/woman a shot...
Is this really the last thing we hear from a Blue about this topic? Very disappointing :(
View profile
Well said Batz. Only time will tell...but as for myself, I simply feel there's no way this issue isn't resolved *eventually.

CM's are NOT developers or game designers. They are liaisons, PR fronts. I mean absolutely no disrespect to the CM's here, they have a job that requires thick skin and tedious repetition.

But alas, they are NOT game designers. We can only hope that the people charged with the future of the Diablo franchise are in-tune enough to realize the issue on their own. These CM's wouldn't recognize an important player concern if it bit them on the rear.

I thought Vaeflare tried to take a page out of Travis Day's playbook ...."How about...we make the items better?"

Yeah....you had better do that. Y'all better do it soon too because the items suck and your game will be circling the drain by the end of the year if you don't. But that's got nothing to do with a lack of a pick-up toggle.

You see Vaeflare, the reason people responded positively to Travis' promise of better items is because we were discussing items at the time.

We're not discussing items here. Items, or the quality thereof, aren't the issue.
Edited by BurningRope#1322 on 6/10/2013 9:00 PM PDT
I thought whichever thread if a blue post is in it, the thread won't reach limit and lock itself.

Or is it going to be locked soon?

This is mortifying.
06/10/2013 11:01 AMPosted by BurningRope
I'll say one thing about Blizzard. They sure can put up a helluva battle against common sense.

Best. Quote. EVAH!
06/05/2013 11:26 AMPosted by Vaeflare
We agree that it can be annoying when you accidentally pick up loot, but rather than add additional options to the game, we’d rather look at ways to reduce the overall number of items on the ground, while increasing the overall quality of dropped loot. Going forward, we’d like to make it seem like every item has a reason to be picked up at various points in the game.

Translation:
"We feign sympathy for an issue we don't care about one bit. Instead of working to resolve this problem, we will install a workaround that is more complicated and less successful, at least that's what we're saying now, because two months from now nobody will hold us accountable anyway. We conclude this by using 'going forward..', a corporate term that only douches employ, and topping it with a generality that is so utterly trite that it will knock the very lifeforce out of even he most critcal minds."

Going forward, really, CM folks, this is no way to talk to people! Speak properly or remain silent!
^I like the "If it ain't broke, break it!" motto more. but this one is just as awesome as is.
I've been asking around over at Diablofans about this issue, and it appears I'm not the only one whom takes issue with this.

In Diablo 2, we had an option known as the /nopickup. It's the first thing most players did when they started a game. The idea is that you must hold down the ALT key in order to click on loot.

Without this mechanic, we're having 2 serious issues.

1) The most serious issue. Accidental clicking on junk loot is causing an interruption in the ebb and flow of combat. So serious that it can actually cause death in the more intense situations. You try to click on a monster and end up clicking on a Low Quality Sacred Shield.

2) Too much unintended pick-ups of junk. Numerous times having to stop and dump junk that you never intended on picking up.

This is an issue that absolutely needs be fixed.

The primary flaw is that left-click has two simultaneous functions (attack and pick-up) that often overlap and intercede upon themselves. A toggle like /nopickup is sorely needed.
Thoughts from fellow players on this?
Thanks for the constructive discussion!

Rofl. In the beta they took out the ability to salvage white and grey items because they wanted there to be stuff you didn't pick up. Are we going to be salvaging white / grey items now?
It's like I should just play diablo 2.... game was better. d3 graphics with d2 gameplay would be epic. FIX THE ONE THING SO SIMPLE TO FIX, Check box (Hold ALT to pickup items).
Hi,

I've been playing like 5 days or so now and one of my biggest annoyances with the game is the fact I keep picking up blue and white junk when I don't want to but I have to have the show item names enabled otherwise I might miss rares.

I asked a few people if there was a way to hide whites and blues from being seen but no one knew then one person said to check the forum there is a post about it...

It definitely needs to be added to this game.
View profile
Hi,

I've been playing like 5 days or so now and one of my biggest annoyances with the game is the fact I keep picking up blue and white junk when I don't want to but I have to have the show item names enabled otherwise I might miss rares.

I asked a few people if there was a way to hide whites and blues from being seen but no one knew then one person said to check the forum there is a post about it...

It definitely needs to be added to this game.

Go to Gameplay Options menu; Select Item Label Display. There are 3 choices for item labels

Always Show
Push to Show
Push to Show for Ten Seconds

This might help you if you're seeing too many item labels.

Sure would be nice to have a 4th option ~ Push to Show and Pick Up.
View profile
This thread is about to max-out.

Anyone whom wishes to keep it going with a new thread, please do. I'll post there and help bump it. I'll let someone else get the new thread going..... I did my part bumping this thread almost every day for 7 weeks.
This thread is about to max-out.

Anyone whom wishes to keep it going with a new thread, please do. I'll post there and help bump it. I'll let someone else get the new thread going..... I did my part bumping this thread almost every day for 7 weeks.

Well, we did all we could. Just this thread alone felt like trying to save a failing marriage. Was great to see support, but I guess all we can do is just walk away. Maybe I'll just stop playing again. Seems like a waste of time to keep playing since the console versions will have some key features we wanted. We !@#$%ed, be moaned and we tried to be helpful, but this team is just not rational. It's about the profit and I am downright sad and disgusted.

Oh well, there will be other, better games to be played.
Well, we did all we could. Just this thread alone felt like trying to save a failing marriage. Was great to see support, but I guess all we can do is just walk away. Maybe I'll just stop playing again. Seems like a waste of time to keep playing since the console versions will have some key features we wanted. We !@#$%ed, be moaned and we tried to be helpful, but this team is just not rational. It's about the profit and I am downright sad and disgusted.

Oh well, there will be other, better games to be played.

ditto that. and my last sign for this thread.

at least we've all tried hard talking to this ear-less wall.
This issue needs to be prioritized.
View profile
06/12/2013 08:38 AMPosted by Judist
This issue needs to be prioritized.

Oh don't worry. As Vaeflare said, they're making items better so that means accidental pick-ups will no longer be a problem. I see nothing wrong with that logic.

Using the same logic; My grass needs mowed. Which, using Vaeflare logic, means I should wash my dishes in order for my grass to not be so tall.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]