Diablo® III

Lack of /nopickup is a critical mechanic flaw

I didn't even know that command existed in D2. When was it added, or was it there from the start?

That could've come in handy so many times. :/
05/01/2013 02:00 AMPosted by T1geR
This sounds like a request for a feature more then a "serious mechanic flaw"

It becomes a mechanic flaw when players repeatedly stop attacking to pick up loot unintentionally.

The flaw lies in the fact that left-click is both an attack command and a pick-up command.

/nopickup allows the left-click to function only as an attack command unless you choose it to become a pick-up command.
I am just going to have to shut up and agree with all you just said. Everything you listed is a valid point. Why not just use this point too...save some more addicted folk from carpal-tunnel syndrome and give us the gift of LESS CLICKING amen brother!
I didn't even know that command existed in D2. When was it added, or was it there from the start?

That could've come in handy so many times. :/

I'm not sure if it was implemented at launch or not. I didn't start using it until I went online with D2 circa 2004-ish. It was the very first thing I did when I logged in, everytime.

As a matter of fact....it was one of the first things I tried to figure out the first day I played D3. I thought to myself "Surely there is a toggle command for pick-up". All there is, is a few options for how loot is displayed. Nothing that toggles pick-up.

It's time for this to change and the only thing that will bring this change is player input and insistence.
Edited by BurningRope#1322 on 5/1/2013 2:49 AM PDT
I strongly support this idea.

I am a freezing Wizard and whenever there is a significant amount of loot on the ground there is a chance of picking up an item which interrupts my freezing cycle. Instead of casting my spell with left click it runs to the item to pick it up. This leads to all kinds of nasty outcomes including me being dead.
+1 . Supporting this idea of a fellow forum member @ dfans Good ideas here...hope to see some sort of fix/implementation supporting these ideas.
Having a "pickup radius" for items that you can predetermine via check list or what have you would be awesome.... that way it would seem like a bonus for items with "gold&items" radius extentions.
I just logged off after doing some Keep Depths runs, and I was thinking about this thread the entire time...mostly because every five minutes, I had to stop in the middle of my monster slaying and pick some useless junk out of my inventory. I never really played D2, and hence had never heard of this /nopickup option, but now that I have, it just sounds like such a good idea. So I decided to come on the forums and give you a free bump, BurningRope, because I don't want this awesome thread of yours to get buried beneath a bunch of troll posts.
05/01/2013 11:01 AMPosted by WordMaster
I just logged off after doing some Keep Depths runs, and I was thinking about this thread the entire time...mostly because every five minutes, I had to stop in the middle of my monster slaying and pick some useless junk out of my inventory. I never really played D2, and hence had never heard of this /nopickup option, but now that I have, it just sounds like such a good idea. So I decided to come on the forums and give you a free bump, BurningRope, because I don't want this awesome thread of yours to get buried beneath a bunch of troll posts.

Thanks for the support. We need more, unfortunately. We'll get the point across....sooner or later
C'mon blues... at least tell us you are going to submit this as a request on behalf of the community.
05/01/2013 03:26 PMPosted by zip
C'mon blues... at least tell us you are going to submit this as a request on behalf of the community.

Kinda shameful that a real flaw is being pointed out by so many here and yet....I hear crickets.

The same button (left-click) is being used (without option) for two different actions. Left-click is both an attack command and a pick-up command......in a game that surrounds the player with drops.

The fact that there is no toggle to distinguish the use of left-click for a specific command is a FLAW.

It's being pointed out, yet the CM's aren't getting involved. Worse yet, the players aren't either. Both the players and the CM's are too involved in troll threads to notice a thread where an actual game flaw could/should be fixed.

Look at the top popular topics. Mostly troll topics and silliness.
I'm shocked that this isn't getting more attention. It's sorely needed for any non-WW melee build.
05/02/2013 06:13 AMPosted by tanis0
I'm shocked that this isn't getting more attention. It's sorely needed for any non-WW melee build.

I suppose just tell people to come here and give their 2 cents. I'll do the same and maybe after time, the matter will get some attention.
This dev team absolutely hates everything even remotely related to Diablo 2, even mentioning that in the thread means it will never get read. Simple things like this have been asked for numerous times, along with an identify all, hide whites, etc. All extremely valuable ideas that SHOULD have been implemented already when the game was released, but weren't because this dev team has their head up their you know what about implementing anything D2 did right.
05/02/2013 09:49 AMPosted by Demonpriest
This dev team absolutely hates everything even remotely related to Diablo 2, even mentioning that in the thread means it will never get read. Simple things like this have been asked for numerous times, along with an identify all, hide whites, etc. All extremely valuable ideas that SHOULD have been implemented already when the game was released, but weren't because this dev team has their head up their you know what about implementing anything D2 did right.

Bear in mind, ID-All has been brought up and is being implemented, and it's the players whom made this happen.

I hated having to mention a D2 feature, but it's the simplest way to fix this. A 12 year old idea that, it would seem, is crucial for the genre.

They made the combat so smooth and impressive....it's a shame that the ebb-n-flow of their amazing combat system is spoiled by such a benign issue.

I'll bump this thread for the next year if I have to.
Edited by BurningRope#1322 on 5/2/2013 9:53 AM PDT
On higher MP's there is a ton of garbage on the ground. It would be really nice to have to alt + click to pick it up or at least have the option to use that or not. Also if we had an option to turn off white/grey items altogether that would be fantastic.

Edit - I would also turn off blue items

Turning off gray/white/blue is never happening. They've already said that they want them to drop so that yellows don't become the new white.

Otherwise, I see no reason Blizz couldn't implement alt + pickup toggled option, as it would make combat more efficient for players.
On higher MP's there is a ton of garbage on the ground. It would be really nice to have to alt + click to pick it up or at least have the option to use that or not. Also if we had an option to turn off white/grey items altogether that would be fantastic.

Edit - I would also turn off blue items

Turning off gray/white/blue is never happening. They've already said that they want them to drop so that yellows don't become the new white.

Otherwise, I see no reason Blizz couldn't implement alt + pickup toggled option, as it would make combat more efficient for players.

Thank you. Though I appreciate everyone's opinion, I DO NOT think whites/greys should be toggled off/eliminated. I'd rather BLIZZ think of some way to use them. Junk loot is part of the genre, part of the internal drop mechanism.

Calling for such change in this thread is a distraction and I'd like to focus specifically on toggling the left-click into having one function at a time. As opposed to the way it is now, left-click serves two simultaneous functions (attack/pick-up) and this must be fixed.
Edited by BurningRope#1322 on 5/2/2013 10:16 AM PDT

Bear in mind, ID-All has been brought up and is being implemented, and it's the players whom made this happen.

Considering it was first brought up during the closed beta and it still has not been implemented, I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

I don't think you understand what that means, at all. We're not asking for whites/blues not to drop, we're asking for them not to be shown. Saying rares will become the new whites....what does that even mean? Are you really comparing potential ilvl 63 BiS items....to whites? You clearly missed the boat on this topic.
Picking up junk off the ground is so bad, I've resorted to setting my main attack to my right mouse button.

Can't pick up junk with right click.
it isn't the biggest issue right now, but still it would be great to have that option to only click and pick up Alt-highlighted loot. I'm not sure if that mechanic was in D2 originally, but it was definitely useful in D2 end game, especially in the Cow Level. Corpse popping by littering the ground with heaps of junk also stopped, which was a good thing for most people. Besides added convenience to playing, it really would improve general combat by removing that potential to click on clutter, pausing your character at a critical time.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]