Diablo® III

Lack of /nopickup is a critical mechanic flaw

/nopickup was likely removed because its one of those things only some players would know about, and you'd have to go read a webpage to find out about.

The dev team stated early on they did not want people to have to exit the game to learn mechanics on a website. I guess reading is hard.

As Jay Wilson said at Blizzcon, "Any time you have to leave your game is a bad experience.
If you have to Alt+tab to go learn a build, that's a bad experience. If you have to learn something about the game in a way other than playing the game, that's a bad experience."

That's how they roll, my friend.
/nopickup was likely removed because its one of those things only some players would know about, and you'd have to go read a webpage to find out about.

The dev team stated early on they did not want people to have to exit the game to learn mechanics on a website. I guess reading is hard.

As Jay Wilson said at Blizzcon, "Any time you have to leave your game is a bad experience.
If you have to Alt+tab to go learn a build, that's a bad experience. If you have to learn something about the game in a way other than playing the game, that's a bad experience."

Wow....that is truly sad, ain't it?

IMO...a good ARPG should require a bit of study for those wishing to operate on a high level within the game.

The biggest complaint most people have about D3 is essentially the lack of itemization complexity, which trickles down to build/skill complexity falling short as well.

In short, I want to read articles/blogs researching various theories. I'm not on the 'bash Jay Wilson' bandwagon....but.....the dude seemed to dumb this thing down a few pegs too low.

On Topic;

We really need more folks 'liking' the OP and posting their thoughts here. Spread the word. Get your friends to hop on by and have their voices heard on this matter.

Not the most critical of issues, but an important issue nonetheless.
Edited by BurningRope#1322 on 5/2/2013 3:19 PM PDT
- Diablo III (Hardcore)
View profile
Picking up junk loot while trying to attack is extremely annoying to my hardcore barbarian. I would love to see an option for this.

Hopefully one smart enough to allow me to still scarf up the gold, while avoiding the unwanted junk. :)

Galx
I like this idea, I didn't play Diablo 2 much, but I did for a while - This would be a great addition, and I would also like the ability to "HIDE" Grey,White, and Dark Blue - Items... Nothing is worse then a pile of junk, sprinkled with more Yellow Junk...

-Thanks
Bump cuz troll threads too much.

Let's do this, people.

Bear in mind, ID-All has been brought up and is being implemented, and it's the players whom made this happen.

Considering it was first brought up during the closed beta and it still has not been implemented, I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

Turning off gray/white/blue is never happening. They've already said that they want them to drop so that yellows don't become the new white.

I don't think you understand what that means, at all. We're not asking for whites/blues not to drop, we're asking for them not to be shown. Saying rares will become the new whites....what does that even mean? Are you really comparing potential ilvl 63 BiS items....to whites? You clearly missed the boat on this topic.

Turning off the view of whites and blues does the same as removing them from the game. I didn't miss any boat. What you're asking for isn't happening.

Turning off the view of whites and blues does the same as removing them from the game. I didn't miss any boat. What you're asking for isn't happening.

Agreed and that's probably a subject for another thread. Such things are just more likely to make Blizz ignore this thread.

Many in the community (especially the melee classes) feel that there needs to be a toggle between left-click's attack command and it's pick-up command.

Left-click actually has three functions. Attack, pick-up and movement.

Movement doesn't collide with the other commands, however, attack and pick-up step all over each other.

Considering it was first brought up during the closed beta and it still has not been implemented, I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

I don't think you understand what that means, at all. We're not asking for whites/blues not to drop, we're asking for them not to be shown. Saying rares will become the new whites....what does that even mean? Are you really comparing potential ilvl 63 BiS items....to whites? You clearly missed the boat on this topic.

Yes you did, completely. Tell me how ignoring white items would be any different than what is already happening? You said rares will become the new whites, give me ONE EXAMPLE OF A WHITE ITEM EQUIVALENT TO A RARE. Then show yourself to the dock, the boat sailed without you.

Edit: Also, its not that what I'm asking for isn't happening, it's that what anyone is asking for isn't happening because this dev team is a complete joke. Dead game is dead, people like me just come back to the forums hoping to see the rest of the team gone the way of the Wilson.
Edited by Demonpriest#1466 on 5/3/2013 1:56 PM PDT
Considering so many people seem to want this pick-up toggle, I'm puzzled as to why the thread OP isn't 'Highly Rated' after being up for so long.

C'mon people..........
04/30/2013 10:46 AMPosted by BurningRope
This is a serious issue that absolutely must be fixed.

Not a serious issue for me... but, with that in mind, such a setting would be pretty awesome (never knew it existed in D2)
This is a serious issue that absolutely must be fixed.

Not a serious issue for me... but, with that in mind, such a setting would be pretty awesome (never knew it existed in D2)

It's really affecting the melee classes more than anything. Hence why many players are confused as to why it's a big deal with some players, and not so much with others.

I noticed your main is ranged, and that is why it doesn't burden you so.

With melee, we're in the trenches, amidst the stacked pools of god-knows-what kind of affixes, surrounded by falling junk loot. One miss-click on a low-quality shield and you' may be dead.

As I have reiterated ad-nauseam, the "junk loot" isn't the problem. The problem is that left-click has simultaneous command functions that come in to conflict with each other (attack and pick-up both on left click with no toggle).
Edited by BurningRope#1322 on 5/3/2013 5:23 PM PDT
I play softcore and hardcore and I can honestly say this has never been a problem for me. It takes almost no time at all go discard crap that you pick up. With the way itemization currently is, I dont even pick up much to begin with. However, I definitely have never died as a result of picking up junk, nor have I felt like I've lost a significant part of my life because I had to discard it. I also had no idea this was a function in Diablo 2. That isn't to say, I wouldnt mind trying it to see if I enjoy it, but I really think it can't be that big of an issue. This is literally the first time I've ever seen someone complain about something like this, and I can't help but feel its very trivial.
05/03/2013 05:25 PMPosted by Swag
I can't help but feel its very trivial.

People said the same thing about ID-all, and now we're being given the feature.

This certainly isn't a game-breaking problem. Nobody will quit due to it.

It is unarguably irritating, more-so to some players than to others.

05/03/2013 05:25 PMPosted by Swag
This is literally the first time I've ever seen someone complain about something like this

I'm a pioneer of sorts :)

Whether it be a big deal to some, or a small matter to others, it is a flaw and it should be corrected.

I played Diablo 2 for many many years and I may have had to dump unwanted junk loot that I accidentally picked up like.....maybe 5 times, in 8 years.

Playing D3 with my Monk, I'm dumping garbage every 15 minutes or so. Stumbling over loot on the ground is just plain irritating, nevermind whether or not it leads to death.

This is a professional software gaming company and they assigned multiple commands to a single button with no toggle. That...is stupid. It's 'broken' and it needs to be fixed.
Definitely support this. I pick up quite a bit of junk playing a melee character. I'm still not quite sure why white items drop -- no one uses them or sells them. Some might even make that same argument for blues. They grind gameplay to a halt so we can get rid of it. No part of it could be construed as good design.

Wow....that is truly sad, ain't it?

IMO...a good ARPG should require a bit of study for those wishing to operate on a high level within the game.

What's truly sad is that people would rather pore over a wiki or fansite full of poorly constructed guides, at times by barely literate individuals, than be able to determine ingame what synergizes with what, and to be able to change them on the fly if they're not satisfied (which is why I can't fathom why people insist of suggesting permanent skill trees or whatever flavor of character customization. If it's changeable, yeah, I'm all for that. But permanency only makes cookie cutting more prominent.).

The biggest complaint most people have about D3 is essentially the lack of itemization complexity, which trickles down to build/skill complexity falling short as well.

I wasn't aware that lack of variety because of imbalance or inefficiency was the same as lack of complexity.

I wasn't aware that lack of variety because of imbalance or inefficiency was the same as lack of complexity.

Since all skills/dps is tied directly to items, poor item complexity results in an overall lack of build complexity IMO.

Something so simple as allowing people to assign all their attribute points during para leveling would relieve of a lot of this.

What's truly sad is that people would rather pore over a wiki or fansite full of poorly constructed guides, at times by barely literate individuals, than be able to determine ingame what synergizes with what, and to be able to change them on the fly if they're not satisfied (which is why I can't fathom why people insist of suggesting permanent skill trees or whatever flavor of character customization. If it's changeable, yeah, I'm all for that. But permanency only makes cookie cutting more prominent.).

That was quite a sweeping generalization. You just lambasted pretty much the entire Diablo community for constructing player theory-crafting articles and specifications.
05/03/2013 07:43 PMPosted by seraphim
Definitely support this. I pick up quite a bit of junk playing a melee character. I'm still not quite sure why white items drop -- no one uses them or sells them. Some might even make that same argument for blues. They grind gameplay to a halt so we can get rid of it. No part of it could be construed as good design.

Hi Seraphim. Thanks for swinging by!!

I want everyone to think about while you play....everytime you stumble over loot on the ground, everytime you have to stop and dump garbage from your inv.....you shouldn't have to do this. A simple button to toggle and ....never again.
Signed, I only wish Blizzard actually used community advice instead of sticking to their budget tied ironclad ignorance. This is a problem i've faced on my monk.
While it is nice to have a no pickup option it is not a deal breaker for me.
05/04/2013 10:36 AMPosted by ShadowAegis
While it is nice to have a no pickup option it is not a deal breaker for me.

Nobody is saying it's a deal breaker.

It would stand to improve life for the melee players, as well, all players would be relieved of the burden, however small or large, of having to dump items they never intended to pick-up.

It's a critical issue due to several factors, not the least of which is how simple of an add this would be.

Again, you don't play melee classes as a main, and this is likely why you aren't feeling the pinch of how this flaw affects combat flow.

I do appreciate your input, however.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]