Diablo® III

Insignia, Ethereal Item Crafting

tl;dr on my 2nd post.
Examples on 3rd.

To Long; Didn't Read!
Create new items called insignias that can be crafted with conjunction of white items, brimstone, demonic essence, gold that can randomly add 2 properties of your choice. Each insignia has property and different tiered insignias will give better boost to that property. Insignia's are rare and can be updated like gems. Only tier 1 and legendaries insignia can drop. The crafted items will be ethereal and cannot be repaired and will have a life expectancy of 4-6 hours.

Overview
My idea is a more logical way to implement a better and more exciting crafting system similar to some of the mechanics that has already been introduced in the game. This system would make use of white items, demonic essences, tomes of secrets, and brimstone's and creates an alternative gold sink. My ideas is to add new items, called insignias, to the game that rarely drop from monsters. These insignias will be tiered based and will provide a single property, or mark, that can be used in conjunction to craft ethereal items that is NOT account bound but can't be put on AH. These ethereal items will not be repairable and the durability of these items will not be effected by death. Monsters can only drop tier 1 insignias and can be upgraded to higher tiers improving the given property.

Each insignia will contain 1 of the following mark (not limited to):
- A primary stats,
- Critical Chance (armor only),
- Critical Damage,
- Attack speed,
- Add Socket,
- Life steal (weapons),
- Elemental Resistance (armor),
- Spirit Regen (monk helm),
- Arcane on Critical (wiz helm),
- +Max Mana (Mojo),
- Discipline Bonus (Quiver),
- +Max Fury (Mighty Belt),
- Reduce damage from elites (shields),
- Reduce damage from element (shields)

So what is an insignia? (From dictionary.com)
1. a badge or distinguishing mark of office or honor: a military insignia.
2. a distinguishing mark or sign of anything: an insignia of mourning.

Insignia Tiers
Each insignia will have a single property, and when upgrading; it will increase that property to have a higher role chance on the crafted items. However, to preserve the found and blacksmith items, these properties should have slightly lower stats then the crafted items but have a tighter scope in which the stats can role. Each type of insignia can only be able to equip to certain gear and can not be used on rings or amulets. Legendary insignias will not be tier based and should only drop off end act bosses and ubers or crafted.

Examples:
- Tier 1 Primary Stat 50-100; Tier 2 Primary Stat 100-180; Tier 3 180-250.
- Tier 1 Critical Chance 1-3%; Tier 2 Critical Chance 2-4%; Tier 3 Critical Chance 3-6%.
- Tier 1 Critical Damage 10-30%; Tier 2 Critical Damage 30-60%; Tier 3 Critical Damage 60-80%; (1H Weapons)
- Tier 1 Critical Damage 30-60%; Tier 2 Critical Damage 60-120%; Tier 3 Critical Damage 120-160%; (2H Weapons)

The Gold Sink
The majority of the gold sink should be used in the tier upgrades rather then the actual crafting of the item itself. Since the crafted items can only be used for a short time, re-buying/re-crafting insignias will become a valid gold sink. My formula provides two methods for upgrading insignias. The first method uses a basic gem-like upgrade and the second method use a randomized method that can potentially make legendary insignias.

Tier 2 requires: 3 of the same insignia + 10 Tome of Secrets + 100k gold.
Tier 3 requires: 3 of the same tier 2 insignia + 30 Tomes of Secrets + 300k gold.

Tier 1 requires: 50 Tomes of Secret + 1 Brimstone + 50k gold.
(Makes 1 random tier1)
Tier 2 requires: 3 of any tier insignia + 50 Tomes of Secrets + 1 Brimstone + 100k gold.
(Makes 1 random tier2)
Tier 3 requires: 5 of any tier insignia + 50 Tomes of Secrets + 1 Brimstone + 300k gold.
(Makes 1 random tier3)

Limiting use of Insignia
Each Insignia will tell what it can be crafted with. Limiting the use of each Insignia to a certain gear type is necessary otherwise certain gear type would become obsolete and render other legendaries and rares useless. For example we would not want you to be able to craft a body armor with critical chance and attack speed. (Would be nice, no?) Instead the critical hit chance insignia would state "Crafted with: Gloves, Helm, Bracers".

Example:
- Insigne of Focus (Tier 3)
<Crafted with: Gloves, Helm, Bracers, Shields>
Critical hit chance +3-6%

- Insigne of Vampirism(Tier 3)
<Crafted with: Weapons, Belts>
1H Weapons and Belts (all belts!) 2.5-3% life steal.
2H Weapons 4-6% life steal.

- Insigne of Spirit(Tier 3)
<Crafted with: Fist/Staff, Monk Helm>
Spirit regeneration +2.5-3%.

Legendary Insignia
Legendary Insignias should contain unique affixes similar to what current legendaries have, such as "Occasionally makes you stink". These Insignias should drop very rarely off act bosses and ubers with a chance to be crafted with the random tier craft with increased chance for each tier. Alternatively, we could remove the random crafting and have multiple insignias to craft a specific legendary insignia.

Example:
- Insigne of Diablo
<Crafted with: Weapons, Body, Pants, Shields>
Occasionally cast 3 bone prisons trapping enemies for 5 seconds dealing x% attack damage as physical. (30sec cool-down. )
"This badge was often worn buy the demons among the elite and most loyal to the lord of terror."

- Insigne of Ghom
Occasionally cast a poison cloud dealing x% attack damage as poison. (30sec cool-down. )
"Burp peewwwapapapa..."

- Insigne of the Phoenix
<Crafted with: Body>
Upon dieing, your body releases a powerful explosion dealing x(1000-2000%) damage as fire to enemies with in 10 yards.
"A legendary bird watches it's last sunrise as it's body burns into oblivion; said to one day rise from the ashes."

The Mystic Craft
The Mystic NPC should handle all these new crafts and should NOT have levels. Crafting an item will require a white item and two/three different insignias along with other common resources already in the game. When crafting the item it will make an ethereal account bound item with the preset insignias and an additional two-three random properties. This item can not be repaired and has a low durability that isn't effected by death. Once the item becomes broken you can either salvage it as a rare or sell at a NPC. The over all outcome of this would create temporary gear that may allow you to advance further into inferno for limited time. A good approx. lifetime for one these should be between 4-6 hours of gameplay.

The formula:
1 White Item + 50 Tomes of Secrets + 1 Brimstone + 10 demonic essences + Insignia 1 + Insignia 2 + 100k = 1 rare item of same type with two preset affixes.

The UI could be simple. Have a weapon/armor slot and 2 slots for insignias with the cost under it as if your crafting from blacksmith/jeweler.

Other Information
- There should be option to remove blue/yellow/orange from items even from account bound items. Alternatively, and the best way IMO, is to add this to the salvage in which would get the essences + a white item.
- This relies heavily off the resources already in the game!
- There would also be other ways to limit this or even change the costs to balance the game.
- This method guarantees items with sockets!!
- The insignia marks above can be vastly expanded.
- This would open up a new market.

Updated: Added how to legendary and craft limit.
Updated: Added better formatting and change formula cost.
Edited by Æther#1456 on 5/6/2013 4:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
good idea
Reply Quote
To Long Didn't Read!
Create new items called insignias that can be crafted with conjunction of white items, brimstone, demonic essence, gold that can randomly add 2 properties of your choice. Each insignia has property and different tiered insignias will give better boost to that property. Insignia's are rare and can be updated like gems. Only tier 1 and legendaries insignia can drop. The crafted items will be ethereal and cannot be repaired and will have a life expectancy of 4-6 hours.

What this mechanic does?
1. Allows to farm higher MPs for temporary time.
2. Allows us to make socket weapons.
3. Makes use of white items and over flowing game resources.
4. More exciting craft and more reason to lewt find.
5. Make unique weapons.
6. Opens up a new market!
Edited by Æther#1456 on 5/3/2013 2:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Below are some examples of Insignias. Note some insignias shouldn't be tiered such as the add socket one.

Insignia Examples
- Insigne of Power
<Crafted with: Weapons>
Increase min-max damage by x%.

- Insigne of Focus
<Crafted with: Gloves, Helm, Bracers, Shields>
Critical hit chance x%.

- Insigne of Destruction
<Crafted with: Weapons, Gloves, Bracers, Shields>
Critical hit damage x%.

- Insigne of Strength
<Crafted with: Anything>
Add +x strength.

- Insigne of Dexterity
Add +x Dexterity.

- Insigne of Vitality
Add +x Vitality.

- Insigne of Intelligence
Add +x Intelligence.

- Insigne of Shield-Frost
<Crafted with: Shields>
Occasionally shrouds yourself with a barrier that absorbs x% cold damage.

- Insigne of Shield-Flames
Occasionally shrouds yourself with a barrier that absorbs x% fire damage.

- Insigne of Shield-Gas
Occasionally shrouds yourself with a barrier that absorbs x% poison damage.

- Insigne of Vampirism
<Crafted with: Weapons, Belts>
1H Weapons and Belts x% life steal.
2H Weapons (x * 2)% life steal.

- Insigne of Life
<Crafted with: Gloves, shoulders, helms, Shields>
Life +x%.

- Insigne of WeWantSocketsDammit!
<Crafted with: Weapons, Body, Helm, Pants, Shields>
Creates 1 to maximum sockets.
This item is not tiered!

- Insigne of Soothing Spirit
<Crafted with: Fist/Staff, Monk Helm>
Spirit regeneration x%.

- Insigne of Healing Spirit
<Crafted with: Monk Helm>
Adds x life per spirit spent.

Legendary Examples
- Insigne of Diablo
Occasionally cast 3 bone prisons trapping enemies for 5 seconds dealing x% attack damage as physical. (30sec cool-down. )
"This badge was often worn buy the demons among the elite and most loyal to the lord of terror."

- Insigne of Ghom
Occasionally cast a poison cloud dealing x% attack damage as poison. (30sec cool-down. )
"Burp peewwwapapapa..."

- Insigne of the Phoenix
<Crafted with: Body>
Upon dieing, your body releases a powerful explosion dealing x(1000-2000%) damage as fire to enemies with in 10 yards.
"A legendary bird watches it's last sunrise as it's body burns into oblivion; said to one day rise from the ashes."

- Insigne of the Hero Echo
<Crafted with: Shield>
Occasionally shrouds yourself with a barrier that absorbs x% all damage.
"A reign of a thunderous shout echos the eerie sky striking fear in all evil that opposes a new born hero!"

- Insigne of Angelic Vengeance
<Crafted with: 2H Weapons>
Occasionally calls upon an angle to fight beside you for x seconds.
"The angels fist strikes down upon the earth of Sanctuary once more!"

- Insigne of the Last Wish
<Crafted with: Helms>
Upon death you have x% chance to be restored 35% of your life instead.
"Agony and pain weighted heavily upon a dieing body. Courage and the will to live will outlast your enemy."
Edited by Æther#1456 on 5/3/2013 12:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Bump. I think this is a good logical way for use of current game resources along with a new gold sync. Opinions please.
Reply Quote
bump
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
This is a very interesting idea!

Though, I would refrain from bumping your own post. (Even though I'm glad you did. Otherwise I would not have seen it.)
Reply Quote
This is a very interesting idea!

Though, I would refrain from bumping your own post. (Even though I'm glad you did. Otherwise I would not have seen it.)

Too many troll or meaningless posts. Easily gets buried.
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
05/02/2013 08:28 PMPosted by Æther
Too many troll or meaningless posts. Easily gets buried.

I know. =(

I would really love to see some discussion on this topic as this is an original and very well thought out idea.

Threads like this are why I come and post in the general discussion forums. It would be great to see some more feedback from the community about it.

05/02/2013 04:16 PMPosted by Æther
- Most idea will most likely be ignore by blizzard or will most likely take 8 months to implement something new.

Not to be nitpicky, but this sentence probably won't go over well. I would think about rewording it or removing it.

Otherwise, this is a really great thread!
Reply Quote
Not to be nitpicky, but this sentence probably won't go over well. I would think about rewording it or removing it.

Yeah, I removed it but blizzards has the same attitude towards it's community sometimes. One of the CMs called out that no one on the forums having a clue about game development in general and the time it took to make a change. Well I have experience in some game development and hobbiest programmer. By no means an expert.
Reply Quote
I think it's a good idea. With so much magic in Sanctuary you would think someone could add pieces/insignia's to armor and such.

+1 on NOT ACCOUNT BOUND as well. Account bound is such a band aid fix that just masks the real problems with the economy.
Reply Quote
I think it's a good idea. With so much magic in Sanctuary you would think someone could add pieces/insignia's to armor and such.

+1 on NOT ACCOUNT BOUND as well. Account bound is such a band aid fix that just masks the real problems with the economy.

The crafted item would be account bound but not the insignias itself. This method utilizes most the current resources in the game already and opens up a new market. This would also allow players to make socketed weapons with a stat of there choice. Something similar to what the community wants. However, with the example above I realized that each insignia would have to be usable with certain gear type. We wouldn't want body armor with critical chance and attack speed to be crafted for instance. I will add more details to the original post soon.
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
So I've reread the OP several times and I'm not sure if this is mentioned (I couldn't find it)

Are you limited to using just one insignia per craft, or can you use multiples at once?

It would seem rather counter productive to spend 1.5m gold on an item to try and guarantee Critical Hit Chance only to find that the item doesn't have the stats you're looking for so the item is now trash.

I would make one small suggestion if I may.

What if each insignia had a class. For example.

Primary Stats - Limit 2
Strength
Intelligence
Dexterity
Vitality

Damage Modifiers - Limit 3
Critical Hit Chance
Critical Hit Damage
Increased Attack Speed
Bonus Damage %
Bonus Elemental Damage
Average Damage
Socket

Life / Resource Regeneration - Limit 2
Life %
Life After Kill
Life Steal
Life Per Second
Extra Health from Health Globes
Resource

Other Modifiers - No Limit
+ Armor
Resistance
Damage Reduced By
Socket
Class Specific Bonuses (Only usable on class items)
Magic Find
Gold Find
Bonus Experience
Movement Speed
Pickup Radius
Reduced Level Requirement
Chance on Hit
Thorns

Then you combine up to 6 insignias of your choice to craft your new soul bound item.

I believe there might be too many random things in game as is, and creating some sort of crafting system where it takes a really long time to farm for the very exact item you want might prove to be very useful.

What do you think?
Reply Quote
Sounds cool. But, I stated that we can use two of any insignias and even how the UI could be set up for easy use. The way you mentioned it would be nice but would be a little complicated to remember. Even though the idea of using 5-6 insignia would be nice. It may make insignias become the must do instead of an alternative. Limiting it to 2-3 insignias and add 2-3 random properties would be, in my opinion, a better option. Sorry if post is a bit long.

PS. I updated the post. I will change the formula cost to craft insignias and gear soon.

Edit: Typo and forum BUG!?
Edited by Æther#1456 on 5/2/2013 10:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
05/02/2013 10:48 PMPosted by Beka
drothvader idea is also good, but it's against blizzard principles - which means i would like to see it, it would have actual use, and... won't be implemented for exactly the same reason why it's good

At this point I don't think Blizzard even knows what Blizzard's principles are since they keep contradicting themselves.

However, one should not be afraid to create new and exciting systems because they don't involve enough RNG.

RNG is great to an extent, but this game uses way too much of it.

05/02/2013 10:43 PMPosted by Æther
Sounds cool. But, I stated that we can use two of any insignias and even how the UI could be set up for easy use. The way you mentioned it would be nice but would be a little complicated to remember. Even though the idea of using 5-6 insignia would be nice. It may make insignias become the must do instead of an alternative. Limiting it to 2-3 insignias and add 2-3 random properties would be, in my opinion, a better option. Sorry if post is a bit long.

No worries. I just felt like added my 2c to the discussion.

I'm hoping maybe we can get the ball rolling on this suggestion and as a community help tweak it. I think it has some amazing potential and is very well thought out.

These are the kinds of threads I look forward to reading and posting in. I will do everything I can in my power to help bring some visibility to well written suggestions like this.

Keep up the good work, my friend.
Reply Quote
not acceptable by blizzard.

doesn't use enough RNG.

if tiers you mention were 1-60 (max), then 1-120 (max), then 1-180 (max), so you would produce like 5x more trash, THEN it would maybe be acceptable.

Actually I believe this system would be right their ally. Sounds like what developers where looking for for future development based on one of there Q&A threads. This would also please the community because they could add sockets!! \(^.^)/

If you look at the account bound items. It already has some of this in it.
Reply Quote
Updated: Added a tl;dr on second post with updated formulas.
Reply Quote
I dont have too much input but it think this sounds like fun and would add in more stuff to hunt for. +1 :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]