Diablo® III

Gold cap and BoA Gear are now necessary.

(Locked)

Actually, the topic title isn't true. They were necessary from day one... It's just become evident.

If there's one thing you can learn from today's patch it's how horribly saturated the market is with gold and high end items.

A gold cap is pretty much a no brainer and shouldn't have exceeded what the max bid on the Auction House was by such a large margin.

I remember when this game launched. High end items were worth somewhere around 2-5m gold. Now they're worth such an insurmountable grip of gold that it has vastly exceeded the cap at which the Auction House was designed to handle.

The Auction House was going to eventually collapse. This was apparent from day one. After a full year there's still no effective gold sinks, still no destroying of good gear (It's only replaced with newer better gear with each "itemization update") and botting is still just as rampant as it ever was.

Now players are struggling just to keep up with the astronomical prices and have resorted to using 3rd party sites to host their "auctions" so that they can sell items for their true intrinsic value.

To make matters worse, the game is further being designed with this mindset that it must combat inflation through gold sinks.

The only method to combat this inflation is with a cap. Personally, I would set the cap to 5 times the current AH cap (10b gold) and announce the change well in advance. Give players a little bit of time to liquidate their current gold, then just outright cap it. Otherwise, you'll keep playing this cat and mouse game with the current inflation.

A gold cap would be the first logical step in the right direction.

The second thing I would do is keep the game's current model of non BoA loot, but then add new items that ARE BoA that drop alongside them. You can play with the droprates but in general the drop rate should feel as though a player is actually progressing their character through these newfound items that they MUST play the game to collect.

What players won't see is the beauty of this system. While this gear might slightly reduce the value of hard to find items, in the long run it will help maintain a healthy game. The reason for this is to allow people to actually obtain their items through playing the game.

You guys said it yourself, you reduced the droprate of good items ENTIRELY BECAUSE the Auction House exists. It is pretty evident that the Auction House has done more harm than good in giving players a sense of satisfaction from finding items in the game.

Every day when a new "Amazing" item is created, all it simply does is devalue every other item floating around in the economy. As time goes on, the floor simply rises with the level of gear that's available on the Auction House.

Right now, the most profitable way for anyone to play the game is to simply not play it. Go to your job, make a little bit of money, turn around and use a fraction of that money to save you literally a whole year of grinding gold in the game, buy gear, then turn around and complain that you can't find anything better than what you just bought.

Now if I was to say find these awesome items by playing the game, but I couldn't trade them away... I would get this complete sense of satisfaction from knowing I actually earned what I am wearing.

Please... I'm not even asking at this point, but more like begging... If you're going to keep one MMO mechanic in place then you have to institute the other MMO mechanics that are in game to counterbalance them.

TL:DR If you have an Auction House, you must have a gold cap and the uppermost top tier of items MUST be BoA.
05/07/2013 05:00 PMPosted by Eddizel
I'm tired of caring, game died today as far as I'm concerned.

All that happened in that respect is a bubble burst causing the price of gold to rapidly decline in value.

It happens to ALL FIAT currencies at some point.

When you design a system that wasn't going to work from day one, you should know that is eventually going to collapse.
This is a good idea but the better one is that they need to get rid of the AH. Introduce a trading post with no bidding and a gold cap.
One kid on stream said he turned 100 mil to 1 trillion. Gold cap would have prevented this.
Drothvader

05/07/2013 05:04 PMPosted by Drothvader
I'm tired of caring, game died today as far as I'm concerned.

All that happened in that respect is a bubble burst causing the price of gold to rapidly decline in value.

It happens to ALL FIAT currencies at some point.

When you design a system that wasn't going to work from day one, you should know that is eventually going to collapse.

You do know about the gold dupe, right?
I started a thread about a cap couple weeks ago and got ripped a new one. Hopefully the shiny, green text gets more attention.
Lol, wtf
It has nothing to do with gold sinks and whatnot, people were duping gold cos there was a glitch on the rmah, an overflow error was causing cancelled gold auctions to be duped.
05/07/2013 04:57 PMPosted by Drothvader
Now players are struggling just to keep up with the astronomical prices
I'm not struggling to keep up. I am just flat out failing.

Good post Droth. I agree. The AH has caused what I feel is irreparable harm to the quality of this game. If it was there to facilitate trade that is one thing but it sure feels like it is there to clamp down on drops and force players to use it to excel in this game.

I hate to go back to D2 but I never had a problem playing and defeating the hardest content in that game and I did nearly 100% of it self found. Across 5 softcore chars I am wearing 2 items that I found on D3 and that is after 1,200 hours.

7 years enjoying D2 and less than 1 year annoyed by D3. I'm losing sight of that hope on the horizon.
05/07/2013 05:07 PMPosted by MS79
I feel like you might have missed it writing up this thread, Droth.
How about a cap in the amount of gold you can have in your stash instead?
For once Droth...and only once you and I have seen eye to eye 100%. This AH and RMAH nonsense needs to go. BoA and ladder system is now a must.
05/07/2013 05:07 PMPosted by MS79

Yes, I do...

Regardless of whether it's duped, or found in game... It would have led to the eventual collapse of the market anyway.

In my mind, the market crashed the day items were intrinsically valued above 2b gold.
what a party pooper.
The dupe only accelerated the process.

Darth is correct that the economy is flawed to begin with and that collapse is inevitable.
05/07/2013 05:00 PMPosted by Eddizel
'm tired of caring, game died today as far as I'm concerned.

I hate to do it, but I must agree with you.
05/07/2013 04:57 PMPosted by Drothvader
The only method to combat this inflation is with a cap

Literally, ROFL
Please back up your claim with real examples or proven theories. Ty
05/07/2013 05:06 PMPosted by MS79
This is a good idea but the better one is that they need to get rid of the AH. Introduce a trading post with no bidding and a gold cap.

This...
05/07/2013 05:10 PMPosted by PresidentWho
The only method to combat this inflation is with a cap

Literally, ROFL
Please back up your claim with real examples or proven theories. Ty

Real examples?

Would you like me to use a game that DOES have a cap like WoW for instance?
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]