Diablo® III

Gold cap and BoA Gear are now necessary.

(Locked)

05/10/2013 12:38 PMPosted by whoopadeedoo
There should have been a cap on the total amount of gold you could have on your account. In D2 each character could only carry so much gold, and keep so much in his stash. A similar system would have prevented runaway inflation. You could never try to sell an item on the AH for more than the limit, because no one would ever be allowed to have more. With historical examples, in real life, such as the runaway inflation in Germany following World War I, or the ridiculous overvaluation of the tulips, during the tulip craze in Holland, the game designers should have seen this coming. I believe the lure of profits from the RMAH was too much to resist, regardless of what it would eventually do to the game. Get rid of the RMAH, and limit gold per character as in D2, and no inflation occurs.

Stop comparing D2 gold to D3 gold. They serve completely different purposes.

lol why ? they hold the same value now and the ah could be compared to all the vendors sellin sht gear in d2 ^^
I am really confused by this post. So you're complaining that the current cap is 2b and you want it higher at 10b? It sounds like you really want a cap but there already is one at 2b and 250$ if you're talking RMAH. I don't know or care why prices are so high but I would rather see the prices at their real value than people using mediators on jsp. I say the solution is to remove all caps on everything and just don't worry about it.
Edited by Balthazar#1650 on 5/10/2013 12:44 PM PDT

lol why ? they hold the same value now and the ah could be compared to all the vendors sellin sht gear in d2 ^^

D2 gold couldn't transact anything useful. It wasn't a currency for trade exchange. It's why no one cared for it or cared that it had a cap. D3 gold is a completely different animal

D3 gold isn't any more useful than D2 gold really. It has no intrinsic value inside the game other than for crafting, however the amount of gold used for crafting isn't at the level of actual auction house purchases. So it's unclear why items are being sold for such high amounts of gold.
I agree whole heartily that the AH should not have been introduced into the world of Diablo. I think how things worked in D2 was fine go to trading games and trade your gear for better gear. D3 has been a failure for those of us that have been playing a Diablo game for a decade plus. love the graphics and mechanics of D3 but the itemization and lack of finding or making your own great gear makes this diablo worse then the first two.
BRING BACK THE ABILITY TO MAKE RUNEWORDS, GET RID OF THE AUCTION HOUSE ENTIRLY. It is time to play the game like it should always be, the ability to farm for your own gear not farm to make gold to buy someone elses gear. that way when you find that great piece it really means something.

All trade (excluding RMAH) is exchanged with gold as its currency. I have no idea what you are talking about.

I guess I just don't understand where the value of gold is in this game is outside of the fact you need it for the auction house.
I agree whole heartily that the AH should not have been introduced into the world of Diablo. I think how things worked in D2 was fine go to trading games and trade your gear for better gear. D3 has been a failure for those of us that have been playing a Diablo game for a decade plus. love the graphics and mechanics of D3 but the itemization and lack of finding or making your own great gear makes this diablo worse then the first two.
BRING BACK THE ABILITY TO MAKE RUNEWORDS, GET RID OF THE AUCTION HOUSE ENTIRLY. It is time to play the game like it should always be, the ability to farm for your own gear not farm to make gold to buy someone elses gear. that way when you find that great piece it really means something.

The reason trading worked in Diablo 2 was it had a very intricate rune system where each rune was worth approximately twice as much as the one below it, making trading items for runes easy. Not to mention that people REALLY like stones of jordan in that game for some reason.
Edited by Balthazar#1650 on 5/10/2013 12:55 PM PDT
JoD you obviously don't understand the economical problems countries have faced throughout history when they print fiat currency with nothing to back it up. As more currency is printed without any backing, inflation occurs, sometimes at staggering rates. This is an identical situation to millions of players finding "virtual" gold in a game. It has nothing to back it up, so inflation spirals out of control, causing an item's value to increase at exponential rates. Examples in history will tell us the economy will eventually collapse, as it is doing now in the virtual world of D3. The only way to control the economy, is to control the amount of "money" that goes into it. When I was young I could buy gasoline for 19 cents a gallon, now it is $3.50. Is the gasoline better today, causing the value to go up. no. Is the scarcity of fossil fuels the only reason for the price increase, that is also a no. Worldwide inflation is the main cause, and the only way to keep up is we are putting virtual money into the economy, not backed up by hard currency. Eventually this system will collapse, and everyone will suffer, some more so than others. The same thing applies in D3.
05/10/2013 12:55 PMPosted by !@#$%inJoe
JoD you obviously don't understand the economical problems countries have faced throughout history when they print fiat currency with nothing to back it up. As more currency is printed without any backing, inflation occurs, sometimes at staggering rates. This is an identical situation to millions of players finding "virtual" gold in a game. It has nothing to back it up, so inflation spirals out of control, causing an item's value to increase at exponential rates. Examples in history will tell us the economy will eventually collapse, as it is doing now in the virtual world of D3. The only way to control the economy, is to control the amount of "money" that goes into it. When I was young I could buy gasoline for 19 cents a gallon, now it is $3.50. Is the gasoline better today, causing the value to go up. no. Is the scarcity of fossil fuels the only reason for the price increase, that is also a no. Worldwide inflation is the main cause, and the only way to keep up is we are putting virtual money into the economy, not backed up by hard currency. Eventually this system will collapse, and everyone will suffer, some more so than others. The same thing applies in D3.

so lemme get this rite...in that wall of text you just said
as more and more gold is created w/o a sink, it will loose it's value over time ? rite ?
OMG U MUST HAVE A PHD IN ECONOMICS TOO !!
nobody would even use gold if the ah didn't the hidden requirement of it
the d3 team made it incredibly difficult to use any other currency as a form of trade that it killed their game
some wonder why there are no real chat channels ?
because that would encourage trade w/o the ah which would render it useless
nobody likes lose'n 15% on every transaction...but they deal with it because IT'S THE ONLY WAY TO TRADE
Ha, what a difference.

Thetias=good mvp
Drothvader=not even close

I'm getting used to OP crazy threads

edit. nope, I wont go into details as to why I think that. Not worth the time and effort. Just go through all his threads
Edited by ZaPLaS#1243 on 5/10/2013 1:03 PM PDT
I think many of us are forgetting something. Why is the solution based on the economy of the game?? Do we farm items to PLAY Diablo 3 or play Diablo 3 to find items?? What's the purpose of this game??? In World of Warcraft there are a few end game aspects one can pursuit:

-PvP (Either ranking or just for fun!)

PvE (Once you get all the gear, it'll pretty much be obsolete)

-Achievements, which should be heavily improved in Diablo 3 (Item rewards, Titles, Unlocking stuff Etc)

-Unique Collectables (Pets, Mounts, Items)

If WoW was played simply to get the best gear, people would quit within months. Why should D3 be any different? The AH is fantastic IMO. But was the AH the reason D3 was made? No. It simply serves as a tool to PLAY D3. The problem is the game play of D3 isn't rich enough.
Yes JoD I have studied economics, quite extensively, but alas I do not have a PHD. The fact that I am much older, and have seen more than you I am sure, allows me to use that experience to formulate opinions, with perhaps a greater understanding. I'm sorry I created a wall of text, but from your post I thought a thorough explanation was necessary.
I disagree with bind on account gear necessity. Instead there should be a gear sink that is attractive to use voluntarily.

This isn't WOW, and shouldn't be treated as such.
This discussion has been over for awhile... gold cap and boa are not necessary and anyone still saying so is obviously trolling.
05/10/2013 11:45 AMPosted by Drothvader
Don't sit here and tell me there's the next greatest thing out there that just hasn't been discovered yet. Discover it and suggest it.

Read the quote you quoted:

05/10/2013 11:45 AMPosted by Drothvader
There are infinite other solutions and the only limitation is creativity. I gave you other solutions earlier in the thread that were not even responded to.

Don't tell me that great fixes haven't been discovered yet when I personally gave you suggestions as did others earlier in your own thread that you didn't even respond to. Great suggestions to improve both our gameplay and economy that don't involve BoA loot or price ceilings get buried in the forums on a daily bass.

I've heard of selective hearing, but selective reading comprehension?
Edited by Chillaxin#1429 on 5/10/2013 1:23 PM PDT
MVP
View profile
05/10/2013 01:16 PMPosted by Overki1l
This discussion has been over for awhile... gold cap and boa are not necessary and anyone still saying so is obviously trolling.

I haven't seen any other argument than the following.

"This isn't WoW"
"Gold caps will cause people to go to other sites"
"BoA hinders trading and will destroy the economy"
"Insert random attack on Drothvader her"

I have backed everything I have said with actual real world examples of how currencies actually do work and I have shown why it fails in this game.

People also keep comparing this to D2 when D2 suffered from the same issues. There was no item sink and no gold sink that was worthwhile so gold became worthless.

The only reason gold has not tanked as a currency yet is because of the existence of the Auction House using gold as a bartering medium.

Gold only has a value intrinsically related to how much is floating around. Hence why inflation has skyrocketed to the point where items are worth more than the cap on the AH.

What you're seeing are the actual effects of a failed model which was only bandaided in D2 by implementing ladders.

What is created, must be lost at some point or the whole system will fail.

I really do not understand why this is such a hard concept to grasp. What goes in, must come out. That is the only way an in game economy like D3 will ever work.

It works in WoW because this is how the game is setup. Items / gold is created, then sunk through various means. It's very effective, and works great.

Every item bought and sold eventually gets consumed and can no longer be traded. The only thing in D3 that will ever be consumed is crafting materials. But they're not worthwhile to use because the crafting system isn't very lucrative.

The "economy" is crashing. The whole system must be redesigned if there's any hope of it being fixed.

You can't have the game just keep creating gold and items without taking them away. It just will never work like that.

A reset button like a ladder is the only way a system like this can ever be extended beyond its initial collapse.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]