Diablo® III

Gold cap and BoA Gear are now necessary.

(Locked)

Bot prevention System:

It is not a matter of that they don't know what causes the woes of the D3 economy. It is a matter that they failed to stop them. It seems blizzard lost the war against botters and does not know how to stop them.

Botters and 3rd party is definitely to blame. And they are active every single day.

And yes, I do know how to stop botters. I know that sounds like a real bold statement and I don't expect you to believe me but it involves a system that targets accounts that act like bots with questions that only humans can answer. You must use unique questions each time so it will always be impossible to program what question will come next. You must also make sure 99+% of normal players will never even see this system because it is only targeting potential botters.

Step 1.) Any account that plays over 105 hours within a 1 week time frame gets flagged for a question. (99%+ of the popluation do not play this much)
Step 2.) The question is simple that anyone that can read their native language can answer but a bot wouldn't know what to do. For example "What is the 2nd word in this sentence?"
Step 3.) The correct answer exempts that account until another "105 hours played within 1 week" period occurs. An incorrect or missing answer flags the account for a Manual review by a Blizzard staff.
Step 4.) The Blizzard staff examines all the account activity and is the final judge on if to ban or not.

Now, I'm certain that this setup could be improved and optimized. For example, the amount of hours for step 1 could be increased or decreased. But what I have here is a great start and the foundation for bot prevention. You ultimately want an automated service to flag bots for a manual review so no false-positives occur and normal players will never be affected by that system. I also suggest flagging accounts who use several clients per IP address. The only ones using more than a couple clients per IP address are typically abusers.

In Theory, I concurr. In practise though mate, no chance. Botters to reviewers the numbers are against you from the start. Granted if you developed a fully automated system, maybe/could be. But these guys are so well embedded now into the fabric of the game, to route them out, unfortunately just isn't going to happen. And whilst the majority hate these little buggers, there are those that will support them (be it 3rd party gold sites etc). I think most you would get are the twits who don't know any different and use 3rd party software as a quick fix cheat. Same case scenario at the moment following Gold-gate. Scammers had an escape route planned, whilst the idiots thinkin they could make easy bucks, got caught napping and can now only profess their innocence.
1. boa is bad

2. game keeps printing gold at accelerated rate
there is no balance between gold coming into economy (gold drops) and gold going out of economy (gold sinks, crafting, trade taxes, etc)
which results in hyperinflation
cap? not per player, what the game needs is "realm gold cap" (total amount of gold available in entire realm, either fixed number or dynamic basic on active player count)
you cannot print gold infinitely without spiraling into hyperinflation

3. game needs a steady, constant and reliable item sinks
its already oversaturated with items, no gold sink or bandaid (item patch, expansion items, etc) is going to help that.

hc has a so-so item sink (permadeath) and it does wonders to item economy
  • - Add Racial abilities
  • - Add Skill Trees
  • - Add Stat points
  • - Add Perks
  • - Add these enhancements in the Cosmetic catagory -- Facial features, hair styles, clothing, size, etc (i'm actually suprised to see a 2012 RPG NOT have some of these features)
  • - Add Enchanting
  • - Add A Gear upgrade system
  • - Add Pets

Those are all examples of making your character different than my character. Diablo3 didn't improve on RPG elements, Diablo3 simply has less choices.
    Drothvader

All that happened in that respect is a bubble burst causing the price of gold to rapidly decline in value.

It happens to ALL FIAT currencies at some point.

When you design a system that wasn't going to work from day one, you should know that is eventually going to collapse.

You do know about the gold dupe, right?

Yes, I'm sure he does. He's just saying that it didn't kill the game like all the drama queens out there think. The economy was going to change anyway because they raised the stack of gold you could buy from 1mil to 10mil.
    05/10/2013 05:18 PMPosted by Drothvader
    Chillaxin, you have put a great deal of thought into what you have posted but I am afraid you're straying way off topic.

Hm, I was afraid this would eventually become the case. I didn't intend to hijack your thread. For that I apologize.

Its just when you said that solutions where not created yet, you made me want to overwhelm you with alternatives to BoA and price ceilings. So I started with a quick 5 minute list and I just went on.

And on.

And on..

I got carried away! Forgive me. I do hope that some good has come from my rambling and you see the light that BoA and price ceilings are simply not fun solutions and do not bring you any closer to what we both desire.

Could you do me a favor and create a new thread with the aforementioned items that you have included in the last page or so?

Someday I might make my own compilation thread. But what I have now is scattered and incomplete. It is also bad timing to make such a thread since the blues are very busy with damage control. Someday in the future, I might make a "Gosu Thread" If you know what I mean.
    MVP
    View profile
  • - Add Racial abilities
  • - Add Skill Trees
  • - Add Stat points
  • - Add Perks
  • - Add these enhancements in the Cosmetic catagory -- Facial features, hair styles, clothing, size, etc (i'm actually suprised to see a 2012 RPG NOT have some of these features)
  • - Add Enchanting
  • - Add Pets

Those are all examples of making your character different than my character. Diablo3 didn't improve on RPG elements, Diablo3 simply has less choices.

Not trying to be mean, as I like your posted suggestions, but I'm just waiting for the people who keep going "this isn't WoW LEAVE WoW OUT OF DIABLO 3!!1!!!11!1one!" (The ideas in this post are all in WoW, but I'm open to anything that makes the game more fun).
    Edited by TheTias#1192 on 5/10/2013 5:44 PM PDT
  • - Add Racial abilities
  • - Add Skill Trees
  • - Add Stat points
  • - Add Perks
  • - Add Enchanting
  • - Add Pets

LOl you mean... make it like WOW? And i don't see why they would have racial passives since all classes are of one race. And they didn't have less choices. Less than what? The other Diablo games didn't have those. They just didn't add that.

And i guess i sort of proved the post above me right lol.
    Edited by Pestilence#1143 on 5/10/2013 5:37 PM PDT
    Chillaxin, you have put a great deal of thought into what you have posted but I am afraid you're straying way off topic.

I actually feel Chillaxin was on topic and It would be nice for him to continue. His ideas would help improve the game a lot where your ideas have serious drawbacks, Drothvader.

No offence.
    MVP
    View profile
    05/10/2013 05:34 PMPosted by Chillaxin
    Someday in the future, I might make a "Gosu Thread" If you know what I mean.

And I look forward to it. =P

But for now, it's best not to spend so much effort investing it into a thread where it will likely never be recognized.

I actually feel Chillaxin was on topic and It would be nice for him to continue. His ideas would help improve the game a lot where your ideas have serious drawbacks, Drothvader.

No offence.

And I agree, it's fantastic.

(Which is why me playing devil's advocate really does work as it gets people thinking about things.)

But I feel as though it would benefit more from having its own thread. Chillaxin's come quite a long way on the forums and is less and less troll like and more constructive. I absolutely love it.

However, I don't want his feedback to be overshadowed and glazed over because it's not pertinent to the topic I have created.

I really think it warrants its own thread with a full 26 pages to discuss the matter.
    Edited by Drothvader#1215 on 5/10/2013 5:41 PM PDT
    05/10/2013 05:37 PMPosted by Drothvader
    But for now, it's best not to spend so much effort investing it into a thread where it will likely never be recognized.

You have a point, I got carried away.
    Chillaxin, how would you categorize bosses and boss room suggestions?

a. Gameplay.
    b. Content.
    c. make your own category and tell me.
    05/10/2013 05:36 PMPosted by Pestilence
    make it like WOW? And i don't see why they would have racial passives since all classes are of one race. And they didn't have less choices. Less than what? The other Diablo games didn't have those.

Many current RPG's have those features. This has nothing to do with WoW. The old diablo games didn't have those features but those games were made over a decade ago. The RPG genre has evolved in the past 12 years. Excluding awesome features for customizing your characters just because those features are also in a game you don't like is being very closed minded. Even bad games are capable of having features that could make a fun game even more fun.

Torchlight is the first game I remember where running over gold picks it up automatically. The diablo franchise implemented that feature later. Does that mean Diablo is a Torchlight clone? No. It just means Diablo adapted a fun feature from another game within the same genre. There are many many many fun RPG features that came out within the past 12 years that the Diablo franchise has simply neglected to implement.
    05/10/2013 04:02 PMPosted by Drothvader
    No, you really, really haven't. All you've done is show how poorly you understand the problem.

Explain then, how does an economy work and why will the current model be self sustaining?

How could it be changed so that the market could normalize after a period of time.

Please, if you can do this without slogging my name through the mud, I am more than willing to listen and learn something new. If not, you have done nothing but say "you're wrong because I said you're wrong"

It's easy enough to claim that I don't understand something but it requires a moderate amount of effort to actually write a complete rebuttal.

This is a discussion forum, not a "Let's like or dislike every thread topic we see."

Plenty of other people already have, you're just not listening. Many are simply making fun of you because of how blatantly obvious it is that a gold cap won't solve anything (something else will become currency).

I highly doubt people saw this thread and said "hey, let's make fun of Drothvader!" You may just have to accept that the reason people are telling you your ideas are bad is because they are.
    05/10/2013 05:44 PMPosted by n0rain
    Chillaxin, how would you categorize bosses

Hm, I honestly never thought of such a question before.

I believe bosses cannot be put into just 1 category.

Category 1.) We will call this category "simple bosses." These are your average bosses that are involved in during the level up phase of the game. They are the stepping stones as you level. These bosses are usually able to be defeated on the first attempt by skilled players who meet the level of the current area they are fighting in.

Category 2.) "Road Block Bosses." These bosses have a spike in difficulty that may require less skilled players to grind a little bit to get get an extra level or 2 to beat them. These bosses open doors for the next steps in character progression.

Category 3.) "The Last Boss." Beating this boss usually gives one the satisfaction of seeing the credits and saying you "beat the game"

Category 4.) "Ultimate Optional Bosses" These bosses are much harder than any of the other bosses and should require some of the best gear in the game to defeat. These bosses can be considered end-game if the rewards and challenge are designed correctly.
    Edited by Chillaxin#1429 on 5/10/2013 6:03 PM PDT
    MVP
    View profile
    05/10/2013 05:57 PMPosted by Zoid
    Many are simply making fun of you because of how blatantly obvious it is that a gold cap won't solve anything (something else will become currency).

"Ok, it's blatantly obvious that you're a troll and your ideas are bad."

See how that adds nothing to the debate?
    WoW has customization at least. Why not make the game a little more like WoW in that regard at least?

Also, the game doesn't need any changes to gear at all. It needs more content. Not everyone is psycho enough to get Paragon 100 grinding the same mobs for hundreds of hours.
    05/10/2013 06:06 PMPosted by Drothvader
    Many are simply making fun of you because of how blatantly obvious it is that a gold cap won't solve anything (something else will become currency).

"Ok, it's blatantly obvious that you're a troll and your ideas are bad."

See how that adds nothing to the debate?

This is not a debate. This is a bunch of people showing you why you're wrong and you saying "no I'm not."
    MVP
    View profile
    05/10/2013 07:25 PMPosted by Zoid
    This is a bunch of people showing you why you're wrong and you saying "no I'm not."

There's a great deal of difference between "showing" me something and "telling" me something.

It still has yet to be relayed in a logical fashion.
    You are quite simply, a genius.
    Having a gold cap would help a lot!
    Not only that but BoA and non-BoA drops is another great idea.
    I spend most of my time just running around and replaying the game in hopes that at some point a monster will drop a top tier item that I can use.
    I also refun quit, I refuse to spend real money on pixels. If the only way I'm ever going to get top tier items is by spending real money then I'll just save that money and do something else with it. Like save it for a trip to go somewhere....
    05/10/2013 07:40 PMPosted by Drothvader
    This is a bunch of people showing you why you're wrong and you saying "no I'm not."

There's a great deal of difference between "showing" me something and "telling" me something.

It still has yet to be relayed in a logical fashion.

That's because you haven't shown anything in a logical fashion. You just say that there is rampant inflation therefore we need to cap gold. Those two things are not connected in any way. Botters have many accounts, so it won't affect them and something else can just be used as currency, like in D2.

A cap of 10b, as you suggest, would do precisely nothing to anybody. The only thing you might accomplish is forcing more people to go to third party sites and making it much easier for scammers (since really good items will have to be traded for gems or some other commodity).

I really tried to find a point to refute in your original post, but there are none. It's literally "inflation exists so we must cap gold." This does nothing to combat inflation, people can just dump their gold into gems or something else. You make some broad statement about how people can actually find their items by playing the game, which also doesn't make any sense and is supported by nothing.

You talk about lack of effective gold sinks while completely missing that there are plenty. Look at your own gear or anyone else's. Just the gems in my gear (and most everyone's) cost more gold to create than I've picked up in my entire time playing. Rampant inflation comes from bots, not from players and all the gold fixes (caps, sinks, whatever) won't make a difference unless Blizzard does something about the bot problem. There are bots with 800k elite kills, that's just disgraceful.
    This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]