Diablo® III

Gold cap and BoA Gear are now necessary.

(Locked)

Think Drothvader. Think.
BOA is not the solution. That devalues gold even further. And makes the AH even more attractive. Cause crafting BoA is like craft 1000 BOA and you might get a good one, you might not.

I'm not talking about more craftable BoA gear. I'm talking about BoA gear that you can FIND while playing the game.

A gold cap will also help maintain some semblance of value to gold. With a cap, once it dips to a certain amount (IE the cap) it cannot dip any more. A cap is a means of stability, not a hinderance.

The solution is to be able to enhance your items. Enchant them or whatever. And have the cost in gold + farmed items. Then no matter how good the items are, you always want to enchant them. And just make the enchanted items become BOA and done.

Either way you look at it, BoA will save the game. It doesn't matter what method players use to acquire these items. As long as players are actually playing the game to get what they want, the game will succeed.

I personally do NOT want BoA items. I want LESS items. I want my chance to find a legendary to be about once a week if i grind hard. That way it has actual value. What I would like to farm are items that let me augment the legendary that I find. Those items should be BoA. Much like essences and crafting.

BoA doesn't solve any problems with massive amounts of garbage dropping. However, say, if the cracked rune sword I picked up had a chance to roll 7 random affixes, or 6 affixes for a white item, 4 for blue, 1 for yellow/green/brown on top of the affixes that they already had, it would allow me to tailor that item to my personal playing style, instead of having to rely on pure luck of RNG.

You are thinking about this very close-mindedly.

Whoever used RMAH, sucks for you , deal with it. your problem not mine.

I used rmah and I'll sign onto that. Reset this mother!@#$er please.

Agree
Edited by sinmagic#1704 on 5/7/2013 5:29 PM PDT
I don't think BOA is needed. Just create an item decay system. Anytime an equipped item is traded across accounts then it loses 10% of its stat value. Over time, as good items are replaced and traded off, they lose their worth and eventually fade away. As you move closer and closer to the stat ceiling it gets harder and harder to find top gear for sale. Finding it in game eventually becomes the last resort. It would also create a scenario where someone has to consider equipping or selling an amazing item drop.
I'm content with the AH. After understanding it a little and the value of certain items/affixes/salvaging etc I've made a little off the AH which has (yes, honestly) compensated for the lack of worthwhile drops available in the game.

However, I've not sold anything of my own that I would consider worthwhile on the AH, as I've flipped most my profit from undervalued bids.

Right now my WD faces a 20m upgrade for 2k dps - undoubtedly overpriced so I have to turn to crafting - which is just another dice rolling game which'll improve my dps/survivability by 2% with a 5m investment perhaps but one hell of a (boring) time sink. Yet, despite all this. I have ~120k unbuffed dps for ~8m and completed the game on inferno 5 and have also have a 55 DH who I've pregeared to probably 80-140k dps so who am I to complain?

Excluding the AH I would gander my fortune to be of 2.5m and my dps of 20k.Opposed to 20m and 120k
Edited by Yiyas#2943 on 5/7/2013 5:43 PM PDT
MVP
View profile
05/07/2013 05:30 PMPosted by BobWitchDR
I don't think BOA is needed. Just create an item decay system. Anytime an equipped item is traded across accounts then it loses 10% of its stat value. Over time, as good items are replaced and traded off, they lose their worth and eventually fade away. As you move closer and closer to the stat ceiling it gets harder and harder to find top gear for sale. Finding it in game eventually becomes the last resort. It would also create a scenario where someone has to consider equipping or selling an amazing item drop.

BoA, decay, ethereal... these all have the same end result.

Items are removed from the economy.
If they could deal more effectively with botters, inflation wouldn't be as bad as it is now. I agree the lack of solid item sinks is a problem too. I honestly can't understand how didn't they see this coming after having so much experience with the WoW AH. It's evident people are just gonna flock to the AH if it allows them to just purchase the best gear. It's the same reason why the best gear isn't tradeable in WoW, because there it's important to keep the grind alive as long as possible to extend subscription periods. They even use artificial methods to limit character progression (valor/conquest point caps, weekly raid locks, etc.).

When you have such an efficient trading system with nothing to encourage farming as a viable progress route, you're basically killing the grind from the start. It's not surprising the best geared players have either flipped2win or purchase their stuff with real cash. Ironically, it's the same folks who are now bored beause they killed their own endgame by rushing towards godly gear without having to grind for it, but simply play the AH game. Additionally, it's these same people who usually would claim binding items is "not Diablo", because it's their business to flip stuff to resell in the RMAH, or just to amass more wealth. Breaking news, folks: An auction house is not Diablo either. Diablo is a loot-hunting game, not a shopping mall or an auction simulator, but it has been laid out precisely that way because of the excessive power the auction house has. If it's to stay, it needs to be limited.

Gold cap is mandatory, imho. At the pace an average legit player is able to build some gold, having stuff prized in the billions is completely absurd. I can understand that for absolutely perfect, or even near perfect rolls, but right now any moderately useful upgrade goes for like 50mil+. Heck, i bought an amulet for like 10mil b/o a few months ago, and looking for upgrades in absence of actually decent drops, i see similar ones going for like 300+mil+. It's just absurd.
Let's be honest here and not lose sight of what actually went wrong. In diablo 2 gold had no value. you didn't go for a certain currency in the form of money to pinpoint items. You did it through item values and inventory limitation. Things that were worth 40 highrunes in diablo 2 were insane cause that was all you could offer at a certain point and the otherwise you would change item for item. D2jsp presented its own system where it could be compared to a ah, but since it was kept out of the game in a sense, it did not affect the ingame traders. see jsp as rmah and ingame as gold in this case. as soon as they gave gold value and made it the most important currency instead of social gaming and item for item values the game broke. The fact that they brought a trading systam into the game that would otherwise not directly affect the ingame trading, that also broke the game. Another problem is how items works in d3 compared to d2. The range items can roll is WAY too big compared to this kind of game. you need certain stats to compare to and a lower range of possibilities in the range of said stats.

Sure, diablo 2 did a lot of things wrong as well, and in the end a lot of people left the social universe of ingame trading and took it to d2jsp, but d2 still had a way better hold on the economy and itemization aspect than d3 has. one last thing to touch upon is also the difference of skill based damage compared to item based damage....

The fact that it took so long to climb the ladder in d2 and actually get good items made it worth replaying.
Edited by incognito#2572 on 5/7/2013 5:57 PM PDT
MVP
View profile
05/07/2013 05:34 PMPosted by Blashyrkh
Gold cap is mandatory, imho. At the pace an average legit player is able to build some gold, having stuff prized in the billions is completely absurd. I can understand that for absolutely perfect, or even near perfect rolls, but right now any moderately useful upgrade goes for like 50mil+. Heck, i bought an amulet for like 10mil b/o a few months ago, and looking for upgrades in absence of actually decent drops, i see similar ones going for like 300+mil+. It's just absurd.

I would just like to point out that this is what the AH is supposed to be there for.

Perfectly rolled items that are so exceedingly rare that very few people have a chance of finding.

However, as it currently stand you can go from somewhere around 20-30k DPS at the start of your career, then end up with nearly 600k.

That's an almost 2,000% times the DPS you start the game with which is absurd for just one game mode.

It should have been designed to get like double or triple max... Then there would be WAY less emphasis on needing perfect items to play the game with.

Right now, the emphasis on perfect items is just too great.
Goldcap wouldn't solve anything. Actually it's a really stupid idea. All it would do is that people would put their gold into other forms of value e.g. gems or items.
05/07/2013 05:47 PMPosted by Drothvader
I would just like to point out that this is what the AH is supposed to be there for.

I'm not exactly sure why you think the ah was put in for inflation but you're wrong. It was used to deter fraud, and allow an option for players to easily and quickly catch up.
If there is a gold cap, there will be a new form of currency..i.e. RS gems
Edited by ace#1996 on 5/7/2013 5:57 PM PDT
MVP
View profile
05/07/2013 05:55 PMPosted by n0rain

I'm not exactly sure why you think the ah was put in for inflation but you're wrong. It was used to deter fraud, and allow an option for players to easily and quickly catch up.

Reading comprehension for the win...

I said the Auction House is there for players to sell and exchange PERFECT items not EVERY item...

The AH has nothing to do with combating inflation.
With the amount of gold circulating now, every item that's usable needs to be BoA... Hopefully they do a rollback.
Maybe this is Blizzard's 'crafty' way of getting rid of the auction house...
If they could deal more effectively with botters, inflation wouldn't be as bad as it is now. I agree the lack of solid item sinks is a problem too. I honestly can't understand how didn't they see this coming after having so much experience with the WoW AH. It's evident people are just gonna flock to the AH if it allows them to just purchase the best gear. It's the same reason why the best gear isn't tradeable in WoW, because there it's important to keep the grind alive as long as possible to extend subscription periods. They even use artificial methods to limit character progression (valor/conquest point caps, weekly raid locks, etc.).

When you have such an efficient trading system with nothing to encourage farming as a viable progress route, you're basically killing the grind from the start. It's not surprising the best geared players have either flipped2win or purchase their stuff with real cash. Ironically, it's the same folks who are now bored beause they killed their own endgame by rushing towards godly gear without having to grind for it, but simply play the AH game. Additionally, it's these same people who usually would claim binding items is "not Diablo", because it's their business to flip stuff to resell in the RMAH, or just to amass more wealth. Breaking news, folks: An auction house is not Diablo either. Diablo is a loot-hunting game, not a shopping mall or an auction simulator, but it has been laid out precisely that way because of the excessive power the auction house has. If it's to stay, it needs to be limited.

Diablo isnt WoW, nobody is going to grind the same content forever just to get better items (just so that they can grind the same boring content faster), you are comparing apples to oranges.

Diablo 3 doesnt need item sinks, what it needs is better itemisation so that everyone doesnt go for the same stupid BIS items like mempo of twilight. The AH isnt the problem, itemisation is the real issue, the AH only magnified this huge flaw because everyone can see what most items are really worth with a transparent market place like the AH, and most items are worth nothing if they dont have the few desired stats that everyone needs.

Diablo 3 was designed to be like WoW but without the content updates, it was going to fail with or without the AH.
MVP
View profile
Diablo isnt WoW, nobody is going to grind the same content forever just to get better items (just so that they can grind the same boring content faster), you are comparing apples to oranges.

Diablo 3 doesnt need item sinks, what it needs is better itemisation so that everyone doesnt go for the same stupid BIS items like mempo of twilight. The AH isnt the problem, itemisation is the real issue, the AH only magnified this huge flaw because everyone can see what most items are really worth with a transparent market place like the AH, and most items are worth nothing if they dont have the few desired stats that everyone needs.

Diablo 3 was designed to be like WoW but without the content updates, it was going to fail with or without the AH.

I would like to ask you a very simple question...

But why do you think a Ladder System was created in the first place?

If not to combat inflation and the further devaluing of items, (and of course a little bit of competition) what other purpose would it serve?
i personally agree with OP. +11
05/07/2013 05:56 PMPosted by Drothvader

Reading comprehension for the win...

I said the Auction House is there for players to sell and exchange PERFECT items not EVERY item...

The AH has nothing to do with combating inflation.

Exactly. the poster you quoted was talking about inflation of items. He said,"At the pace an average legit player is able to build some gold, having stuff prized in the billions is completely absurd." This is cited with the following...

I can understand that for absolutely perfect, or even near perfect rolls, but right now any moderately useful upgrade goes for like 50mil+. Heck, i bought an amulet for like 10mil b/o a few months ago, and looking for upgrades in absence of actually decent drops, i see similar ones going for like 300+mil+. It's just absurd.

A direct reflection of inflation. Again, originally the ah was not designed with the intention of trading perfect items.
05/07/2013 05:11 PMPosted by BARkley
This is a good idea but the better one is that they need to get rid of the AH. Introduce a trading post with no bidding and a gold cap.

yes..please..this...
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]