Diablo® III

Gold cap and BoA Gear are now necessary.

(Locked)

Droth, I can see that your heart is in the right place, but your proposed gold cap is way too high. Lowering the GAH cap to 1b and going with your 5x ratio for a 5b gold cap might work. The BoA drops are a good idea too. Keeping the gold price at 25 cents per 10 million is a wonderful idea you should consider as a way to discourage botters.

And of course, roll this sucker back to May 15, 2012.
itd probably be better to approach this with true economics. I'm not entirely sure how much actual supply/demand concepts are used by blizzard in approaching the AH, but it could surely be used to fix it.

Right now the aggregate supply of goods in the market is way too high, yeah. but capping gold is not the solution, its a cheap method and its anti-capitalism (not fun). What the economy needs is a reduction in supply, so probably an item sink.

What Blizzard keeps doing with itemization updates is changing the value of items so that the supply of high quality items dramatically drops, essentially rebooting the in game economy. I think they need to be more active in the economy, by performing fiscal and monetary policies - changing taxes, countering inflation, and buying/selling bonds (introducing or buying items). The economy doesnt work without some degree of managing. They just haven't figured out how to balance things.
05/07/2013 04:57 PMPosted by Drothvader
Right now, the most profitable way for anyone to play the game is to simply not play it. Go to your job, make a little bit of money, turn around and use a fraction of that money to save you literally a whole year of grinding gold in the game, buy gear, then turn around and complain that you can't find anything better than what you just bought.

+1
05/07/2013 05:11 PMPosted by Drothvader

Literally, ROFL
Please back up your claim with real examples or proven theories. Ty

Real examples?

Would you like me to use a game that DOES have a cap like WoW for instance?

wow has multiple servers and therefore multiple economies. the amount of effort it would take to manipulate that many economies is pretty big. gold cap would be nice, but what of the gold that just sits in limbo waiting to be sent to your stash?
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
To prevent over inflation, I suggest that when you die, you loose all equipped items. That way, gear can be managed similar to HC economy.
Repair costs used to be expensive when D3 first released. People aren't dying enough anymore. Double, triple, quadruple the repair cost on BIS / high end gear. Such won't affect people just starting out and called noobs. Remove the indestructible affix on high end gear. Increase repair costs on BoA perhaps too.
OR make a Ladder system, remove RMAH/GAH, make gold cap, and slightly increase drop rate. Then the game will steadily balance itself out with time. And the general value of items will drop with the player base over time. Instead rapidly with every patch or big exploit.
View profile
Instead of chasing at unofficial site, people should rethink what they are paying.

The economic of any society collapse because of greed and the miss use of privileges. Asking and owning too much without trading off equal value. The market GOLD is free, anyone buying with real money is fair, as they are getting an advance by buying time (gameplay) with money.

Item price change do to demand and market quantity. But this does not equal the need to raise the cap for gold bid/buyout on AH/RMAH. There are more gold in the market compare to the beginning of the game, but this does not mean the price of item should raise along with it. The current market is badly inflated with gold.

Each player should only be able to hold up to 10 billion of gold in stash, as the 1% (achievement) given each player 100m or pickup gold, so 100x that is 10 billion of gold. With 10b and the current RMAH gold rate, 10m/0.25 then you will only get $250.00 with ALL of your gold.

AH/RMAH sets a place for people to flip item and producing misleading information for the economy. But it is also a very good place to place trade. Instead of raising the cap on trade they should further limit it to a lower limit of 1b on gold AH.

The game is not a place for people to make money, its a place for people to have fun. Chasing for "worthless" item is not a fun thing to do.
90 Undead Death Knight
I think this is possibly the most well reasoned and explained post ever... +1 blizzard please implement this [at the very least the gold cap] when you bring out a new ladder for diablo 3 [the current game is destroyed.. we need a ladder reset]
MVP
View profile
Instead of chasing at unofficial site, people should rethink what they are paying.

The economic of any society collapse because of greed and the miss use of privileges. Asking and owning too much without trading off equal value. The market GOLD is free, anyone buying with real money is fair, as they are getting an advance by buying time (gameplay) with money.

Item price change do to demand and market quantity. But this does not equal the need to raise the cap for gold bid/buyout on AH/RMAH. There are more gold in the market compare to the beginning of the game, but this does not mean the price of item should raise along with it. The current market is badly inflated with gold.

Each player should only be able to hold up to 10 billion of gold in stash, as the 1% (achievement) given each player 100m or pickup gold, so 100x that is 10 billion of gold. With 10b and the current RMAH gold rate, 10m/0.25 then you will only get $250.00 with ALL of your gold.

AH/RMAH sets a place for people to flip item and producing misleading information for the economy. But it is also a very good place to place trade. Instead of raising the cap on trade they should further limit it to a lower limit of 1b on gold AH.

The game is not a place for people to make money, its a place for people to have fun. Chasing for "worthless" item is not a fun thing to do.

You make a great point with the $250 = 10b = 100 x 1% Achievement.

It was certainly something I considered in the assessment.
05/07/2013 05:08 PMPosted by gudmugly
7 years enjoying D2 and less than 1 year annoyed by D3. I'm losing sight of that hope on the horizon.

^ (* > 9000)
This is a perfectly valid solution. I support this 100%
There are other options, one is to use the GaH, and RMAH as gold sinks, such as instituting a brokers fee. This serves two purposes, one it creates a limit on the market. If the brokers fee is based off of ilvl & rarity, it limits the amount of high end items that can be posted, outside of the already rich. The brokers fee, will of course be passed off onto the item, driving the price of high end legendaries up, however, because of the extreme cost of these, gold prices will eventually force there way back up creating a more stable market. These will leave room for relatively cheap lower tiered rares and magic items for newer players.
"After a full year there's still no effective gold sinks, "

This is false. The Gold Auction House is an effective gold sink. As prices rise more gold is destroyed.

Before today statistics indicate there was not mass inflation and gold sinks were sufficient. Until today, there was no Inflation in Diablo 3. Inflation is the general rise in price of items. The rise in the total amount of currency in a market is NOT inflation. That is monetary inflation and is only relevant when it leads to price inflation. Price Inflation is what is meant when an economist says "Inflation". There is not inflation in Diablo 3.

Prices have not (until today) steadily risen.

What you interpret as "Inflation" when looking solely at the very top end of gear is what I call "Item Saturation." Read more here...

http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/1ac1z5/diablo_3_economy_issue_item_saturation/
Edited by MortalSmurph#1775 on 5/7/2013 8:28 PM PDT
The day I feel forced to use the RMAH is the day I quit. I refuse to spend real money on items, PERIOD. I miss the social interaction of trading anyhow. Regardless of how long it took to find the right buyer. Would certainly help if the item hunt itself was better...
Actually if you study economics at all the only way to repair run away inflation is to introduce a new currency that people can't dupe.

1) Introduce Platinum.
2) Platinum drops from mobs.
3) Your gold is now worthless.

You still have the problem with the game being designed around inflation with no serious gold-sinks, but whatever. This is how Brazil solved their problems, so it's a proven method. There are no cases that exist today of a cap on currency being effective...

Anywho, what will probably happen is they will let it ride. Gold will become worthless, and real money will be the only thing worth value. That and commodities, but commodities always have a chance of being duped, so real money is the only thing that is worth a damn.

This isn't much different from D2, where gold is worthless, items are worth... well... something but not much, and real money is king(in 3rd party sites).
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]