Diablo® III

Gold cap and BoA Gear are now necessary.

(Locked)

"You still have the problem with the game being designed around inflation with no serious gold-sinks, but whatever. "

The auction house is a sufficient Gold Sink. As prices rise more gold is destroyed. If Blizzard do not roll back the gold will eventually be destroyed and prices will return to stability. However, it will be a sucky process and there are other issues involved.
Thank you Blizzard for delivering us such a wonderful patch.

Now forget AH flippers' QQs, focus on itemization and the hostile button patch to create a even better gameplay environment.

LOL@All QQs, get a job.
BoA gear is the worst idea ever brought to a game.

Best itemization game I've ever seen was Lineage 1/2.

Everything was tradeable. And to upgrade gear you could "enchant" it with a chance for it to "blow up". Thus, removing the chance for market flooding.

Think outside the box. Every freaking game out there is boe/bop/boa. It's a terrible idea.
"After a full year there's still no effective gold sinks, "

This is false. The Gold Auction House is an effective gold sink. As prices rise more gold is destroyed.

The AH isn't a gold sink, simply because gold isn't "destroyed", it's simply moved around, but still floating and fully functional within the economy. Gold sinks are ways to remove gold from the economy, such as crafting. In fact, crafting could be a great option, if done right, and there;s a million things they could do to build more gold sinks. However, no amount of gold sinks will be sufficient as long as they don't deal appropriately with botters. They are the main source of inflation in this game. Greedy people raising prices simply happen to benefit from this.
This is false. The Gold Auction House is an effective gold sink. As prices rise more gold is destroyed.

Acually, this is false, the AH is not a gold sink currently, the only time it acts as a gold sink, is when you acually sell something. For it to be an effective gold sink, the cost most be mandatory. I.E. instead of a commission, it should be more of a 1 time fixed price per item listed.
The Gold Auction house removes 15% of the sale price per transaction. This gold is REMOVED from the economy. This gold is NOT transferred.

The AH isn't a gold sink, simply because gold isn't "destroyed", it's simply moved around, but still floating and fully functional within the economy. Gold sinks are ways to remove gold from the economy, such as crafting. In fact, crafting could be a great option, if done right, and there;s a million things they could do to build more gold sinks. However, no amount of gold sinks will be sufficient as long as they don't deal appropriately with botters. They are the main source of inflation in this game. Greedy people raising prices simply happen to benefit from this.

05/07/2013 08:38 PMPosted by whoopadeedoo
It's almost like Droth only understands WoW and never played a Diablo game in his life. Such drivel about binding BiS and gold caps ... when MVPs and dev think this way, you know this franchise is dead. Might as well roll the expansion into Pandas now.

It's either that or getting rid of the AH, which happens to be a MMO system, btw. I bet you didn't think about that before flipping to win, did you? Such selfishness, it's astounding.
"Transaction Fee (Gold Auction House): 15% of final sale price"

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/guide/items/auction-house

15% of every gold transaction is removed from the economy. This is a gold sink. When an item is sold for 100M gold 15M gold is removed from the economy. This is a gold sink that removes more gold as prices rise.
"Transaction Fee (Gold Auction House): 15% of final sale price"

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/guide/items/auction-house

15% of every gold transaction is removed from the economy. This is a gold sink. When an item is sold for 100M gold 15M gold is removed from the economy. This is a gold sink that removes more gold as prices rise.

You're correct, i forgot about the tax. My bad.
View profile
seriously, Droth, what is your obsession with BOA? A rollback is what is needed. Go play this game.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/
Yep, I came to this conclusion about a gold cap this morning. It seems like it would solve a lot of problems. No one to own more than 10 bil at a time, delete any gold in accounts over this amount.

Finding BOA items might work providing the drop rate is reasonable, but then that all comes back to itemization I suppose.
I personally do NOT want BoA items. I want LESS items. I want my chance to find a legendary to be about once a week if i grind hard. That way it has actual value. What I would like to farm are items that let me augment the legendary that I find. Those items should be BoA. Much like essences and crafting.

BoA doesn't solve any problems with massive amounts of garbage dropping. However, say, if the cracked rune sword I picked up had a chance to roll 7 random affixes, or 6 affixes for a white item, 4 for blue, 1 for yellow/green/brown on top of the affixes that they already had, it would allow me to tailor that item to my personal playing style, instead of having to rely on pure luck of RNG.

You are thinking about this very close-mindedly.

Agree. People who don't understand macro economics shouldn't make short-sighted decisions about it.
MVP
View profile

They're talking about the AH cut being a gold sink.

Sadly though, more gold is dumped in than is removed through the 15% cut.

05/07/2013 08:38 PMPosted by whoopadeedoo
It's almost like Droth only understands WoW and never played a Diablo game in his life.

I owned and played the original Diablo on the PSX (Which I beat BTW) as well as Diablo 2: LoD which I bought in a battlechest about 6-7 years ago.

The AH was never a part of D1 or D2. It is an MMO mechanic that ONLY works when a majority of the really sought after items are BoE / BoA.

Imagine if people could sell all of the gear they found in a raid... How long do you think WoW's economy would last?

Roughly 75% of my friend's list realizes this system D3 has is a joke... they grew tired of never finding anything and went back to either SCII or WoW.

You know why I played WoW for 8 years? It was a highly rewarding game with enough content and a constant stream of upgrades to keep me entertained. I still have yet to find ONE ITEM that I can appraise for more than 1m gold.

Keeping an auction house in game without the mechanics that go behind counterbalancing it is just asinine.
05/07/2013 05:11 PMPosted by Drothvader

Literally, ROFL
Please back up your claim with real examples or proven theories. Ty

Real examples?

Would you like me to use a game that DOES have a cap like WoW for instance?

I kinda get what droth is saying;

when he says cap in my mind it a cap on gold in general. they create the rules that allow every single lone piece of gold to be created. there was a time, actually a few times ive seen this occur in games, where single pieces of gold were a symbol of pretty massive wealth. and it took ALOT of work to get one gold. youd be scraping dried skeleton butt-holes for every piece of copper you could get....

and well diablo did not do this. the makers of the game in the very particular aspect, were idiots.

every demon on the bridge has several thousand gold. they programmed that to happen.

and when you get a million players and a million bots "farming" the demons....well it does not take rocket science to see that eventually everyone will have the wealth of bill gates, and a sword will cost as much as an airplane. and this is in a gaming universe were the common folk spend a gold for a night in the tavern. its just stupid.

they probably did it to appeal the addicted gamblers who are a good catch when viewing the game as a marketing and profit tool.

which is pretty pathetic for a company with such a fleet of genre defining titles...

o well....such is life....

basically this gong show is the most exciting thing to happen in the past few weeks.
MVP
View profile
Agree. People who don't understand macro economics shouldn't make short-sighted decisions about it.

Explain to me then.

How would you fix this issue from a "Macro economic" standpoint? I would really love to hear from someone how this system is not broken.

If you can convince me otherwise that there's a better solution, I am more than willing to listen and learn.
"They're talking about the AH cut being a gold sink.

Sadly though, more gold is dumped in than is removed through the 15% cut."

Yet, until today why were so many prices not rising? Why were prices on consumables stable? Where is the Inflation? If the Auction House gold sink was insufficient prices would rise across the board. Prices did not rise across the board. If anything, prices generally fell.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]