Diablo® III

Patch Day and BDA Issues - Start here!

(Sticky)

MVP - Technical Support
View profile
Updated for Diablo III Patch 2.0.1 and Reaper of Souls

Special Note for Mac OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) Users

As of Diablo III patch 2.0.1, if you are running 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard), you will no longer be able to play Diablo 3. The minimum operating system is now 10.7.5. Snow Leopard is locked out of the game completely and you must update to at least 10.7.5 in order to play. 10.8.5 or later is recommended, and Mavericks (10.9.1) with 8 GB of RAM or more is strongly recommended for optimal gameplay.

Also, as of patch 2.0.1, the Launcher will initiate a Tools patch which will download the new Battle.net Desktop Application if you have not already installed it yourself using the Battle.net Desktop App link in your Account Summary page. Once downloaded the Battle.net Desktop Application will then launch and will be the only way to start Diablo III and Diablo III: Reaper of Souls.

Patch Day and Global Play

On the day of a Diablo III patch, Global play is not available right away because each of the three regions, The Americas, Europe, and Asia each receive their respective client updates at different times. Generally it is The Americas first, then Europe, and finally Asia.

If you are using a client (any language) designated as belonging to The Americas region, you will initially only be able to play in the same region, as Europe and Asia have not received their updates yet. This usually persists for approximately sixteen hours, at which point you'll usually be able to log into the Europe region. After approximately one day (twenty four hours), you should have full access to the Asia region as well.

If you are using a client (any language) designated as belonging to the Europe region, once the patch is deployed to The Americas region, you will not be able to access Global Play for that region. You will be able to log into both the Europe and Asia regions until their respective patch update cycle begins (commonly referred to as patch day maintenance).

If you are using a client (any language) designated as belonging to the Asia region, once the patch is deployed to The Americas, you will not be able to access Global Play for that region. You will be able to access the Europe region until its patch update cycle begins, and you will also be able to log into the Asia region until your patch update cycle also begins.

Patch Day Update Looping and Global Play

On patch day, under normal circumstances, for those logging into their own home region after the new patch is deployed for that region, gameplay usually starts without a problem. However, for those utilizing the Global Play option (accessing either of the two regions that is not your home region) things can become problematic.

As noted above in each of the region examples, you can only access certain regions during the patch update cycle. If you start Diablo III after successfully updating to the new patch and attempt to access a region that has not yet received the update, your client may go into a "patch loop" where it says you need to download a new patch to play every time you log in. Your Battle.net Desktop Application will check for the update, but since you have already actually received the update, it will read "Game is up to date" and the Play button will light up as normal. In order to keep this from happening, you must log into only your home region during the course of the patch update cycle. Only when you see all three regions' service status pages indicate that the patch cycle is complete will you have full access to the Global Play feature.

The same situation can occur if you have not yet received the patch update but the region you are attempting to access has already received the patch update. As with the previous example, you should avoid attempting to log into any region other than your own home region.

Battle.net Desktop Application Related Issues

Note: Before attempting to use the following troubleshooting instructions, first run the Battle.net Desktop Application (if possible) and select the Diablo III icon and then click the Options pulldown menu directly beneath the Diablo III logo in the main window and select Scan and Repair option.

Stuck at Initializing: If you are attempting to patch Diablo III, but your Battle.net Desktop Application gets stuck on the "Initializing..." phase, the following instructions should remedy the situation:

Delete the following files/folders:

/Users/Shared/Battle.net/Agent/Agent.db
/Users/Shared/Blizzard/Battle.net
/Users/Shared/Blizzard/Battle.net.temp (if present)
/Diablo III/Diablo III.mfil

Once done deleting those files, make sure all permissions are set properly in Diablo III's main folder by doing the following:

1) Get Info (in the Finder) on the Diablo III folder.

2) Click the padlock icon and enter your password to authenticate yourself.

3) For the Everyone group, set it to Read and Write.

4) Click the cogwheel icon and select Apply to enclosed items. Select OK to confirm your action.

5) Close the Get Info Window.

6) Repeat steps #1-5 on the /Users/Shared/Battle.net folder.

Now run the Battle.net Desktop Application. The Battle.net Desktop Application will then begin again at "Initializing...", but should only stay there for a few moments while it determines which files are in place and which must be downloaded. Let the Battle.net Desktop Application fully update the game. Do not click Play until the Battle.net Desktop Application window shows the word “PLAY” in the big button at the bottom of the window and there is no progress bar on the screen at all, indicating that Diablo III has fully patched and/or rebuilt its cache.

Failed to Create/Download a Required File: If you see this message, you may have an issue with either an update MPQ file or a problem with the Battle.net Tools. The solution to both problems is the same as the steps for solving the Stuck at "Initializing..." problem, with one additional step. The full process is outlined as follows:

/Diablo III/Updates/

Once done deleting those files, make sure all permissions are set properly in Diablo III's main folder by doing the following:

4) Click the cogwheel icon and select Apply to enclosed items. Select OK to confirm your action.

Now run the Battle.net Desktop Application. The Battle.net Desktop Application should begin downloading properly at this point and you can proceed normally. Take careful note of the underlined part in the section that tells you which files and folders to delete. The /Diablo III/Update folder can be safely discarded and allowed to be rebuilt by the Battle.net Desktop Application. As with all other Battle.net Desktop Application related troubleshooting steps, do not click Play until the Battle.net Desktop Application window shows the word “PLAY” in the big button at the bottom of the window and there is no progress bar on the screen at all, indicating that Diablo III has fully patched in order to avoid file corruption.

Diablo III Crashes due to Corrupt Files

If you are experiencing crashing when logging in or performing certain actions in the game and this can be repeated with fair certainty, you probably have one or more corrupt files. The following instructions will show you how to delete the potentially problematic files and allow the Battle.net Desktop Application to rebuild the game's cache files.

/Diablo III/Data_D3/PC/MPQs/Cache

Now run the Battle.net Desktop Application. Let Diablo III rebuild its cache. It can take between 15-60 minutes depending on the computer and drive being used. Do not click Play until the Battle.net Desktop Application window shows the word “PLAY” in the big button at the bottom of the window and there is no progress bar on the screen at all, indicating that Diablo III has fully patched and/or rebuilt its cache.

Error 3006 or 3007 when attempting to log into Diablo III

Error 3006: This error occurs when the region you are attempting to log into is either undergoing emergency maintenance or has an as of yet unresolved issue. If you receive this error, please wait a few minutes before attempting to log in again in order to give the Blizzard IT team time to resolve the issue.

Error 3007: This error occurs when your connection to the Battle.net servers is unstable. If you are continually receiving this error, you should follow the troubleshooting instructions in the Error 3007 Support Article:

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/error-3007

Error 33: If you are getting this error when attempting to log in, the Battle.net system is still undergoing scheduled maintenance and is not available for play. Please wait a few minutes before attempting to log in again. If you are still unable to log in, you should check the Service Status forum to see if Battle.net has been brought back up or not.

Service Status Forum: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/5394512/

For any issues not specifically mentioned here, please start a thread with your specific problem, as well as your System Information. Instructions for obtaining system information are provided below:

Obtaining and Posting System Information

1) Click on the Apple Menu while holding down the Option key and select System Profiler (10.6.8) / System Information (10.7 and later).

2) Copy the information from the following sections and paste them into your post. Please copy in the following order: Hardware Overview, Graphics, and Software. Do not include any serial numbers, hardware UUIDs, or account/login names or information in your post.

Making Sure You Are Up To Date

As of patch 2.0.1 10.6.8 is no longer capable of launching the game and 10.7.5 is the minimum supported operating system. 10.8.5 is the minimum recommended operating system and 10.9.1 is the current optimal operating system. Below are the links to get you up to date with each version of the OS.

10.7.5 Combo Updater: http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1582

10.8.5 Combo Updater: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1676

10.9.4 Combo Updater: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1755

Firmware Updates for Intel Macs: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1237

Note: After installing any operating system update or Firmware update, it is advised that you perform an SMC Reset. Please refer to the following link for information on how to reset your computer's SMC.

Resetting the SMC:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

Edit: Missed a tag. Bad tag! :)

Caution: This cookie bites back.
Edited by TheTias#1192 on 8/8/2014 6:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Thanks Tia!

/stickied
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
Is there a link for the Windows support on this issue? I spoke to Blizzard support last night but received no resolution on the issue. Launcher will just loop the message, "your game is up to date." then it will close and reopen and I will get the same thing.
Reply Quote
05/07/2013 10:38 AMPosted by TheTias
Stuck at Initializing: If you are attempting to patch Diablo III, but your Launcher gets stuck on the "Initializing..." phase, the following instructions should remedy the situation:

great fix, worked for me.
Edited by jpnadas#1648 on 2/15/2014 12:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Draenei Mage
You seem to have some stray underline tags going all wonky there. It's marking some sections all underlines that look a bit funny :(

Oh you can get an Error #3007 if you take too long to contact us.actual.battle.net or us.depot.battle.net . You'll see this in the d3debug.txt log file - it shows time stamps as well as each step of the log in process. You see it try to contact the login server then a few minutes later timing out.

Suggested fix for that one would be to try google DNS or open DNS. As well as trying Hot Spot Shield.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
Hrm. I'll fix the tags. Damnit. ;)

Edit: Fixed.
Edited by TheTias#1192 on 3/2/2014 12:11 AM PST
Reply Quote
TheTias, are you experiencing crashes of any kind when resuming/restarting games? Im contemplating on whether to do the firmware update and SMC reset thingies.
Reply Quote
Hi, im MacBook Air user. my Mac version is 10.7.5 and i have updating to version 2.02.22274.
i have click to the blue icon and small message pop out just like this

"You can't open the application Diablo III because it is not supported on this type of Mac"

and i have click to Diablo III launcher, it has come out Battle.net windows. I click at PLAY button and some message pop out. Its says

"Something went wrong trying to launch a program. We're not sure what caused it, so please try again or click the code below for more information. Sorry about that!

More help: BLZNTAGT00000843

Please look in to this and I want Blizzard know about this, I bought this game for me to play it, not to watch and wait for upgrading and at the end crush.
Reply Quote
05/07/2013 10:38 AMPosted by TheTias

If you are experiencing crashing when logging in or performing certain actions in the game and this can be repeated with fair certainty, you probably have one or more corrupt files. The following instructions will show you how to delete the potentially problematic files and allow the Battle.net Desktop Application to rebuild the game's cache files.

Now run the Battle.net Desktop Application. Let Diablo III rebuild its cache. It can take between 15-60 minutes depending on the computer and drive being used. Do not click Play until the Battle.net Desktop Application window shows the word “PLAY” in the big button at the bottom of the window and there is no progress bar on the screen at all, indicating that Diablo III has fully patched and/or rebuilt its cache.

[/quote]

I did all this 3 times and I still crash every time I try to resume/start/join a game :(
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
03/08/2014 05:22 PMPosted by nico
I did all this 3 times and I still crash every time I try to resume/start/join a game :(

This particular issue cannot be fixed on our end. It requires a client patch.
Reply Quote
So, what kind of a client patch? And where can we find one of these? I too am having issues creating/resuming/joining games, and it seems like many Mac users are. The game was running fine until I installed the newest patch. I even upgraded to the newest operating system. And still no dice. Surely there must be something that the masses of frustrated gamers can do to ameliorate the situation?
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
03/13/2014 04:14 PMPosted by Melkor
So, what kind of a client patch? And where can we find one of these? I too am having issues creating/resuming/joining games, and it seems like many Mac users are. The game was running fine until I installed the newest patch. I even upgraded to the newest operating system. And still no dice. Surely there must be something that the masses of frustrated gamers can do to ameliorate the situation?

The only thing we can do is wait for the QA team to find the root cause of the crashes, code a fix, and then push out a client update. If we're super lucky it won't take until a Tuesday to release, but usually that's when client patches go out once they're ready.
2. Protect the innocent.
3. Uphold the law.
4. Smash, Jay, Smash!
Reply Quote
Everytime I open battle.net to play it says, "Waiting on another installation or update" and never moves past 0% and I have tried numerous fixes including manually patching and nothing works.
I'm on the most recent macbook air and it was paying just fine before the patch last night. Anyone know his top fix this?
Reply Quote
03/08/2014 05:22 PMPosted by nico

Still crashing and no info about anyone working on it? My Mac meets all the req, played the starter and worked fine. Sometimes on the standard it will work but now again can't play at all.
Will there be a patch or any more help? Callback support couldn't help me :/
PLEASE FIX IT
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
03/23/2014 01:15 PMPosted by Nagasthira
Everytime I open battle.net to play it says, "Waiting on another installation or update" and never moves past 0% and I have tried numerous fixes including manually patching and nothing works.
I'm on the most recent macbook air and it was paying just fine before the patch last night. Anyone know his top fix this?

Click the big "Battle.net" icon in the upper left and select Settings. From there, select the Game Install/Update section. Inside that window you will see an option for how games are updated. Select Never automatically apply updates. That solves this issue and you can then choose which games get updated when.

03/24/2014 09:14 AMPosted by MaxNaz
Still crashing and no info about anyone working on it? My Mac meets all the req, played the starter and worked fine. Sometimes on the standard it will work but now again can't play at all.
Will there be a patch or any more help? Callback support couldn't help me :/
PLEASE FIX IT

Please start a new thread with this issue and we'll see if we can help.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]