█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

• General
    • Introduction
    • Thanks to
    • TL;DR

• Game Mechanics & Info

• Unsolved Mysteries

• Appendix

• ▼ First Post of Discussion https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8770117237#13

█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
    █▌ General

█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
    █▌ Introduction
    █▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Hey guys.

I decided it was time to build up some kind of Wizard's knowledge base.
    That means write up all important information, in depth details on (hidden) game mechanics, results of testing and theorycrafting. No link collection, all in one place.

Part of my motivation is that we're constantly faced with the same questions. The answers may be common knowledge for most of the seasoned players, but can't be easily understood by newcomers. So here's the post I can link to, instead of explaining elemental damage for the 23rd time.
    In addition to that, at this point in the game, we have uncovered so many complicated to borderline irrational game mechanics, that even for active theorycrafters it has become hard to keep track of everything. Even if we know or believe to remember something, we may not be able to come up with a link or provide details, in case anyone asks for them. At least that's how I feel.
    And last but not least, I myself learned a lot by just writing this. During testing and verifying what I believed to know, I stumbled upon several things I didn't know or remembered incorrectly. So even if nobody reads this, it still had it's purpose ;-)

The examples I use are all Wizard related and I don't go into details on things that don't apply to Wizards. But it will also cover general game mechanics that can be applied to other classes as well.
    It is by no means supposed to be a solo project. I want and I need your help to make this great. So if you have any corrections, additions or general feedback regarding what I've already written, or if you feel another topic should be added (no matter if you want to write it up yourself or if I should do it), please post and I will do my best to include it.
    Of course I don't expect anyone to search this wall of text for misplaced commas (of which there will be plenty). But if by chance you see any typos or grammatical mistakes that make you cry inside, please post. I'm eager to learn.

I'm willing to maintain and update this thread for quite some time. I don't see myself quiting the game any time soon. And even when that day comes, it doesn't mean I won't be available anymore. I have a strong habit of sticking around forever once I'm comfortable in a community. So this post will not be abandoned, leaving future generations of Wizards wondering if the data is still accurate in patch 1.27.

Unfortunately the feature set of this forum is rather limited. If you have ideas how the post could be made prettier or more clearly arranged, or how to improve navigation - please post.

I'll try to avoid abbreviations without at least once having used the full name before.
    If you still encounter a term you are not familiar with, please refer to this awesome Diablo III [Urban] Dictionary by Jaetch:
    http://www.diablofans.com/forums/diablo-iii-general-forums/diablo-iii-general-discussion/30729-diablo-iii-urban-dictionary

PS: If anyone has a better idea for a thread title, feel free to post. I'm open to any suggestions, as long as they make at least a little sense and result in a funny acronym. Acronym takes priority.

█▌ Thanks to

I have worked on or tested most of this stuff myself and I'm writing this post from scratch. Whenever I link to or copy from other people's work (which I will try to avoid), I will of course give credit.
    And before I begin, I'd like to thank a few people who have spent a large amount of time researching things we don't understand and teaching things we do understand. Without you, none of this would have been possible:
    - dolynick
    - Guybrush
    - Kanjihack
    - Loroese
    - Nubtro
    - Shandlar
    - TekkZero

Of course, there are countless others who have helped the community in one way or another. If you are not listed above, that doesn't mean I don't value your efforts. It's just that there are so many great people here, I can't list everyone.
    Thanks to all of you!

█▌ TL;DR

As of right now, this whole thing is almost 60k characters long. To be honest, it turned out much larger than I thought when I started writing. I guess I got a little carried away...
    So it's pretty obvious most of you will look at this huuuuge wall of text an think "WTF? I'm not gonna read that!". So here's the deal: You are not supposed to. This is not meant to be a guide you read from top to bottom. It's a reference.
    You can of course read it all, but I'd rather recommend you do the following: Look at the table of contents and find the topic you want to know more about. Read the TL;DR. If that doesn't answer your question or provide the detail you need, read the whole chapter. If that still doesn't answer your question, please post.

My last proof-reading took around 45 minutes. So if you are really going to read it all, you should bring some time.

[TL;DR] - look for a TL;DR at the end of each chapter

▲ Back to Index https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8770117237#1
    Edited by apo#2677 on 4/4/2014 8:17 AM PDT
    Reply Quote

█▌ Game Mechanics & Info

█▌ Elemental Damage

Every weapon has a base of non-elemental damage. It can be increased by gear affixes like +min dmg or +max dmg, as found on the weapon itself, jewelery or off-hand items.

Additionally, some weapons have elemental damage in the form of a "+X-Y <element> Damage" affix.

And finally there are legacy gear affixes like for example on legacy Zunimassa's Trail, that are worded as "Adds +X% to <element> Damage".

This is what makes up the mix of elements that are inherent to your gear. The way it works with the % elemental damage affix, is that it takes all your non-elemental damage (including jewelery/offhand affixes) and adds the specified percentage as that element.
    For example with a total of 100 average non-elemental damage and 50 lightning damage from your weapon, you gain an additional 8 poison damage, when wearing a Zunimassas's Trail (8% of 100 added as poison). If you add a Tal Rasha's Allegiance with a 6% fire damage affix, your damage mix changes to 100 non-elemental, 50 lightning, 8 poison and 6 fire.
    Again, the "Adds +X% to <element> Damage" does not exist anymore and can only be obtained via legacy gear.

That's the gear part. But when it comes to skills, most of them have an element of themselves (obvious example: Ray of Frost = cold damage). Now what happens is that those skills take all the damage of your gear and convert it to their own element. Making it completely irrelevant if your gear contains fire damage, poison or is completely non-elemental.
    Basic attack (no skill = melee weapon attack / wand attack) counts as physical as far as I can see.

All of the above is really essential when it comes to side-effects of elemental damage. For example cold damage slows targets and by that also triggers the passive skill Cold Blooded. But as you can see above, if you use a fire spell, your gear can have all the cold damage in the world and it still won't work. On the other hand, if you are already using Ray of Frost, you don't need any cold damage on gear, because everything will automatically be converted to cold damage.

One more thing though, the order in which things happen is a bit inconsistent: The Cold Blooded debuff is applied before damage. So for example when using a cold skill, while having Cold Blooded active, your first hit will already deal 10% more damage. Not only subsequent hits.
    But for Conflagration it's the other way around. Your first hit dealing fire damage will be unbuffed, subsequent hits will benefit from the Conflagration debuff (Note, this is based on testing in 1.08, when Conflagration used to be a damage debuff. With the new effect in 2.0.1 this is pretty much impossible to verify)

[TL;DR] - %element dmg adds X% of your non-elemental damage, as that element. Skills with an element convert all damage to that element.

█▌ Increased Damage to Elemental Skills

The only elemental affix you will see in the latest patch is a bit more straight forwad. Look at Frostburn Gauntlets for example: "Cold skills deal 10–15% more damage."
    So what does this apply to? A "cold skill" is everything that deals cold damage. So for Ray of Frost, you get 15% more damage.
    Please note: Arcane Orb - Frozen Orb is also a cold skill, because it deals cold damage. It doesn't matter that the unruned version was an arcane skill.

By the way: Wand Attack with cold damage from gear partially also counts as a cold skill.
    That means when using Wand Attack with 100 avg non-elemental damage, and Frosties with 15% +cold skills and 6% +cold damage, you actually get 100 * 0.06 * 1.15 = 6.9 additional cold damage instead of 6. The "cold" portion of your damage mix is increased by this affix. And you end up with 106.9 total damage.
    This has absolutely... like ABSOLUTELY, no effect in any kind of build or anything. I mean this piece of information is so useless, even I considered removing it from this thread. But, oh well.

Oh and even though the cold damage portion is increased by the "Cold skills deal more damage"-affix, a Wand Attack does not apply a snare effect or trigger cold blooded. So somehow you are dealing cold damage and not dealing cold damage at the same time. That's kinda cool.

As Neuron points out, for other classes with physical skills there is still a lot of discrepancies. Some still behave like the old Spectral Blade and carry over elements from gear, even though they are explicitly labeled as "physical". This does not affect any Wizard skills and will hopefully get fixed soon for the other classes.

One more thing, because it's being brought up a lot: This bonus is multiplicative to all other damage modifiers. For more details see the "Damage Calculation" section in this thread.

[TL;DR] - "element skills deal x% more damage"-affix increases all damage you deal of that element by x%.

█▌ Area Damage

On certain items and via Paragon points you can get an affix called Area Damage. It shows up in your character sheet and says "All attacks have a 20% chance to also deal X% of the damage to enemies within 10 yards".
    And that's what it does.
    You have a 20% chance per hit/tick, this is not affected by proc coefficients.
    The damage is not "weapon damage" but exactly 20% of the hit/tick that caused the Area Damage. It can't crit (but if the original hit/tick was a crit, Area Damage will of course be 20% of that critical damage).
    Center of the 10 yards radius is the enemy that triggered the Area Damage.
    Area Damage will not hit the enemy that it procced off.
    Area Damage can not in turn proc anything else (like LoH or more Area Damage).

[TL;DR] - Area damage is a 20% chance to deal x% additional damage to nearby enemies. Not affected by proc rates, works with every hit/tick.

█▌ Bleed Damage

Kanjihack was so kind to test out the bleed damage gear affix: "X% chance to inflict Bleed for Y% weapon damage over Z seconds."

Here's what he found out:

As expected, proc-based skills (e.g. Pox Faulds fart cloud) do not proc it, and the proc deals the same damage regardless of the attack used to trigger it. It also does not appear to scale with crit or attack speed or return any LoH. Again, expected. Surprisingly, Magic Weapon and Sparkflint did not increase the damage dealt. I'm assuming the same is likely true of other damage buffs/debuffs. The only thing it does seem to scale with is mainstat. It might scale with +flat damage and perhaps %physical, but I didn't have any pieces on hand that I could've done accurate tests with.

It uses average weapon damage modified by mainstat and whatever the %weapon damage on the bleed is. Multiple procs refresh the duration but it doesn't seem to stack.

The proc chance is affected by the coefficient of the skill you're using.

[TL;DR] - Bleed damage can't crit, proc, not affected by APS, plain weapon damage + mainstat. Can't stack, chance to apply is multiplied with your skill's proc chance.

Edited by apo#2677 on 3/22/2014 11:13 AM PDT
    Reply Quote

█▌ Damage Calculation

Damage calculation is not really my strong suit and I have done virtually no research in this field. So first I will be linking to this excellent spreadsheet by Nubtro, which amongst other cool stuff is detailing the min/max damage formula for skills, including all possible modifiers:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Avxzyy5pHlsZdDZoVzNQeVl3XzA3bExpdk5yTVdaV1E
    ATTENTION. FOLLOW THIS LINK IF YOU WANT TO KNOW HOW DAMAGE CALCULATION WORKS.
    Hit CTRL+F, type "#33" and it will take you to the block where damage calculation is explained.

Below I will just add some Wizard specifics, not repeat the basic formula.

What is left to say for Wizard's specifically, is how exactly different damage buffs stack. You see for example a 20% damage increase is just "damage * 1.2". But if you add another 10% buff, it can be either "damage * 1.3" or "damage * 1.2 * 1.1" which is a considerable difference.

Wizard's got
    A) Frost Nova - Bone Chill
    B) Slow Time - Time Warp
    C) Magic Weapon - All runes
    D) Familiar - Sparkflint
    E) Black Hole - spellsteal
    F) Glass Canon
    G) Cold Blooded
    H) Arcane Dynamo
    I) Unwavering Will
    J) Elemental Exposure
    K) Archon - All runes (20%)
    L) Black Hole - Absolute Zero (Cold damage only)
    M) Arcane Torrent - Disruption (Arcane damage only)
    N) Energy Twister - Gale Force (Fire damage only)
    O) Ray of Frost - Snow Blast (Cold damage only)
    P) Disintegrate - Intensify (Arcane damage only)
    Q) Wave of Force - Static Pulse (Lightning damage only)
    R) Wave of Force - Arcane Attunement (next Arcane spell only)
    S) Arcane Orb - Spark (next Lightning spell only)
    T) Spectral Blade - Flame Blades (Fire spells only)
    U) Audacity
    V) Archon - Improved Archon (22% on top of the base buff)

And here's how they stack:

Damage * (A + B + C + D + E + F + G + H + I + J + K + L + M + N + O + P + Q) * R * S * T * U * V

With all the different elements this might become a bit confusing by now, so I'll try to clarify:
    The big group of buffs/debuffs from A to M are all added up before being multiplied with your damage. That means if you use Slow Time and Magic Weapon, you get "damage * 1.2", not "damage * 1.1 * 1.1" as one might think.
    In Nubtro's spreadsheet this is the line "O" (additive buffs) in the damage bonuses group.

WoF - Arcane Attunement, AO - Spark, SB - Flame Blades, Audacity and the Improved Archon rune are each separate multipliers that don't get added to the huge buffs/debuffs pool. So Magic Weapon + Slow Time + Spark with 5 targets hit makes for "damage * 1.2 * 1.1" on your next lightning spell, where the 1.2/20% increase is MW + Slow Time and the 1.1/10% increase is Spark.
    In Nubtro's spreadsheet this is the line "N" (multiplicative buffs) in the damage bonuses group.

One surprising thing here is, that it treats "enemy takes X more damage" buffs the same as "your attacks deal X more damage" and adds them all up before multiplying with your base damage.
    The second surprise is that the base Archon damage buff appears to be additive to all other buffs as well, while the additional damage buff that comes with Improved Archon is multiplicative.

One more thing because it comes up a lot: "Increase <skill> Damage by X%" affixes are also additive to the buffs/debuffs mentioned above. So if you have an item granting 20% to Arcane Orb damage and use Magic Weapon, your Arcane Orb deals 10+20=30% more damage.
    "<Element> skills deal X% more damage" gear affixes are not additive to any of the buffs/debuffs above. They are calculated as a separate multiplier.

Next topic: Some buffs are for you, some are for all players.
    Namely A, B, G, J, M, N, O, P and Q are debuffs for the target, so everyone in your party benefits from them.
    The others are buffs for you, so only you benefit from the damage bonus.

Regarding multiplayer:
    Identical debuffs on monsters don't stack. For example two Wizards with Slow Time - Time Warp will only get 10% damage.
    Different debuffs on monsters do stack. For example Slow Time - Time Warp and Cold Blooded will stack.
    This is a good rule of thumb for Wizard spells but no universal truth. Other classes might have other mechanics. For example Barbarians Warcry doesn't stack, even with different runes. However none of the Wizard buffs or debuffs are known to overwrite or not work with other classes buffs/debuffs.

[TL;DR] - Damage calculation is complicated. Most Wizard buffs stack additively.

█▌ Crowd Control

Crowd Control in Diablo 3 is a term for anything that negatively affects the ability to fight. That is stun, slow, root, freeze, etc.
    They can all be applied to monsters or to you.

Elite monsters have CC resistance that is applied to the duration of any CC effect. The resistance is not a static value but builds up as you apply CC effects. The details are explained here: https://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/7100052/developer-journal-crowd-control-changes-9-5-2012 but I'll summarize the important parts:
    - Elites start at 0% resistance
    - With each second they are under any CC effect the resistance is increased by 10%
    - With each second they are not under any CC effect, the resistance is decreased by 10%
    - Resistance is capped at 65% in inferno difficulty (70% for bosses)
    - Resistance is not applied retroactively. That means if you apply a 12 seconds CC effect it will last for the full 12 seconds even though after half the duration the monster will already have max resistance
    - Any CC effect that lasts shorter than 0.5 seconds (after reduction by resistances) is ignored
    - Slow effects are subject to a static 25% reduction instead of the ramping resistance

On the player side there is one gear affix that also reduces CC effects: "Reduces duration of control impairing effects by x%". This one does not only reduce the duration but also the effect of slows.

Here's the complete formula for slow effects (curtesy of TekkZero, once again doing the math for me):

movement_speed = (1+cap_movement_speed_bonus) * (1 - (1-cc_reduction)*movement_speed_reduction) + noncap_movement_speed_bonus - 1
    or
    movement_speed = (1+cap_movement_speed_bonus) * (1-movement_speed_reduction) + noncap_movement_speed_bonus - 1

- cap_movement_speed_bonus is the sum of all movement speed that counts towards the 25% cap (mostly gear and a few skills like a monks mantra)
    - cc_reduction is the total of all "Reduces duration of control impairing effects by x%" affixes (attention, diminishing returns!)
    - movement_speed_reduction is the base reduction value as listed below
    - noncap_movement_speed_bonus is additional movement speed that can surpass the 25% cap (like monks passive)

The first formula is for player/monster inflicted debuffs (like cold damage), the second one for environmental effects (like tar pits).

So for example a Monk with the 10% MS passive and 12% MS on his boots standing in a tar pit in Desolate Sands:
    movement_speed = (1+cap_movement_speed_bonus) * (1-movement_speed_reduction) + noncap_movement_speed_bonus - 1
    movement_speed = (1+0.12) * (1-0.3) + 0.1 - 1
    movement_speed = 0.884 - 1
    movement_speed = -0.116 = -12%

Another example, 24% MS from gear, 12% CC reduction and a cold damage (60%) debuff:
    movement_speed = (1+cap_movement_speed_bonus) * (1 - (1-cc_reduction)*movement_speed_reduction) + noncap_movement_speed_bonus - 1
    movement_speed = (1+0.24) * (1 - (1-0.12)*0.6) + 0 - 1
    movement_speed = 0.58528 - 1
    movement_speed = -0.41472 = -41%

You can overcome slows by adding more MS. The cap only limits the total amount to 25%. That means in the first example with 48% instead of 12% MS from gear that monk would have 1.48 * 0.7 + 0.1 - 1 = 0.136 -> +14% MS total.

So much for the basic mechanics. Now here's a list of CC effects in game and what they do exactly (all tested by looking at a player's char sheet - effect on monsters may vary):

1. Environmental effects - not affected by CC reduction gear! (second slow formula from above applies)
    - Tar pits in Desolate Sands: slow -30% MS
    - Spiders web: slow -50% MS

2. Monster/elite abilities - affected by CC reduction gear! (first slow formula from above applies)
    - Ghost's attack (duration 0.5s) / Cold Damage (duration 0.5s) / Knockback (duration 3s): slow -60% MS
    - Kulle bubbles: slow -50% MS
    - A4 Enslaved Nightmare curse: slow -20% (duration 15s)
    - Slow from Dervishes doesn't show on char sheet. If I had to guess I'd say around 50-60%
    - Nightmarish: 1s duration
    - Jailer: 1.5s duration
    - Frozen: 2.5s duration (thanks Nubtro for testing the last three)

3. Gear
    - Chance to slow on hit (duration 2s) / Chance to chill on hit (duration 2.5s?): -30% MS
    - Cold damage (duration 0.5s): -40% MS

4. Skills
    - Blizzard / RoF / Frost Nova - Frozen Mist / Temporal Flux: -40% MS

There's some more slow effects which I haven't tested yet: RoF - Numb, Wave of Force (Forceful Wave), Impactful Blades, Arcane Mines, Chilling Aura, Slow Time (Time Shell), Force Weapon (maybe?), Frost Hydra, Comet
    Feel free to help out.

The player CC effects like "Chance to fear on hit" as found on some weapons or legendaries mostly last 2 seconds each, with the exception of chance to chill which looks like 2.5s Not entirely sure about that though. Measuring those on a monster is no fun at all.

[TL;DR] - Elites have dynamic CC resistance. CC reduction gear does not just reduce the duration but also the effect of player/monster inflicted slows.

█▌ Proc Coefficients

You can find the list of proc coefficients in the appendix:
    https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8770117237#10
    Besides proc coefficients, you will find some additional values there, which I will explain later.

But, first things first. What is a proc coefficient?
    It is a multiplier that is used to balance skill effects. For example without proc coefficients, life on hit would directly scale with how many targets a skill can hit how fast. So a single target single hit spell would be vastly inferior to a large radius damage over time effect.
    For that reason, Blizzard implemented a scaling factor we call proc coefficient.
    It applies to all "on hit" effects:
    - Life on hit
    - Arcane power on crit
    - Arcane Dynamo, Storm Armor - Shocking Aspect, Magic Weapon - Ignite or generally any skill that mentions "there is a chance that..."
    - Gear affixes like "X% chance to fear on hit"

- For Life on Hit, your actual life gain per hit is your LoH value multiplied by the proc coef.
    - For Arcane Power on Crit, the chance to gain your full APoC value back is equal to the proc coef.
    - For Arcane Dynamo / Shocking Aspect / MW Ignite, the chance for a flash of insight / chance for an electric shock on crit / chance to apply the DoT is equal to the proc coef.
    - For gear affixes, the actual chance to fear/freeze/whatever on hit is the % chance multiplied by the proc coef.

[TL;DR] - Most spells don't give the full chance/amount of on-hit/on-crit effects, but only a fraction of that. Proc coefficients describe how much you get exactly. List here: https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8770117237#10

Edited by apo#2677 on 4/16/2014 2:36 PM PDT
    Reply Quote

█▌ Attack Speed Calculation

Let's start with the basics. How is attack speed calculated exactly?

Every weapon type has a base speed:
    2h Mace: 0.9
    2h Spear: 0.95
    2h Axe/Staff/Mighty Weapon: 1.0
    2h Sword/Crossbow/Daibo: 1.1
    2h Flail: 1.15
    Mace/Spear: 1.2
    Axe/Mighty Weapon: 1.3
    Bow/Wand/Sword/Ceremonial Knife/Fist Weapon/Flail: 1.4
    Dagger: 1.5
    Hand Crossbow: 1.6

There are two attack speed affixes that occur on weapons: "Increases Attack Speed by X%" and "+/–X Attacks per Second".
    "Increases Attack Speed by X%" can also occur on other gear, like gloves or jewelery, but is treated differently then.

Your final attack speed calculates as follows:

([Base speed] * [Increased Attack Speed on Weapon] + [Bonus Attacks per Second]) * [Increased Attack Speed on other Gear]

Example: A (legacy) Echoing Fury with 7% IAS and +0.23 APS. Additionally, 30% IAS on gear.
    (1.2 * 1.07 + 0.23) * 1.3 = 1.9628 Attack Speed total

This value is displayed in your charsheet, but it's rounded to two decimals. Internally, the game uses the unrounded value. So if you want to know where you are exactly, you have to calc it out yourself.

Attack speed buffs like Slow Time - Stretch Time are added to the "Increases Attack Speed by X%" on gear value.

The Enchantress buff however is actually NOT +3% IAS but +0.03 APS. The tooltip is wrong. Her buff is added to the "+X Attacks per Second" affix on a weapon. Also, you lose the buff when she dies.

There's also a negative version of the APS affix. On "damaged" (grey color) items, you can have -0.3 APS. So the lowest attack speed possible is a damaged two-handed mace with 0.6 attacks per second total. Don't know if those still drop.
    Not very relevant for day to day gaming, but nice for theorycrafting, to extend your data range.

[TL;DR] - totalAPS = (baseAPS * weaponIAS + bonusAPS) * otherIAS. Enchantress gives 0.03 bonusAPS. Always use unrounded values.

█▌ Tick Rates and Breakpoints - Basics

This is the chapter I'm writing last. The reason is, even though it's the topic I know most about, it's giving me a tremendous headache. I simply can't figure out how to explain this properly. Especially because there are still several things we don't fully understand. And of the things we do know, many are important for understanding the big picture, but mostly irrelevant for day to day farming.

Now I decided to split it into two chapters. A "beginners" part with all info the regular player might want and an in depth theory part with all the info nobody ever really needs. If you read anything in this chapter and ask yourself "why?", check the next chapter and you might find an answer.

So. Attack speed, ticks, breakpoints.
    I'll start with the definition of "tick". Technically, a tick is the same as a regular "hit" (as in "attack hitting the target, applying damage"), just in a channeled spell or DoT. They are called ticks, because they are called ticks in every game. I imagine it's about the damage being applied more or less automatically, in fixed intervals, relatively frequent - kind of like a clock "ticking".
    The important thing to know is, even though channeling looks like it's just draining the targets health, in reality it's a series of frequent hits. And what we are trying to do is find out how frequent those hits are and how that's affected by your attack speed.

More attack speed makes you hit faster. We intuitively know how this works for regular casted spells like Magic Missile. 10% more attack speed means 10% faster casting, means 10% more missiles. Simple.
    Now for DoTs and channeling this is a little more complicated. First of all, DoTs are mostly not affected by attack speed at all. For example Blizzard does not tick faster with more attack speed.
    On the other hand channeling spells do tick faster, which results in higher DPS.

In the proc coefficients list or the "Skill-Specific Mechanics and Info" section you will find "speed coefficients". Those are used for more advanced calculations but can also serve as an estimate for how fast those spells tick. For example Ray of Frost has a speed coefficient of 2. That means the ticks have a frequency of roughly twice your attack speed. Say you have 2 attacks per second, that means your Ray of Frost will tick 4 times per second. Disintegrate (speed coefficient of 3) will tick 6 times per second.

But that's just the estimate. In reality there's also breakpoints.
    A breakpoint is a certain attack speed threshold that, when passed, gives you a disproportional increase of your tick rate. At the same time, any attack speed increase between breakpoints doesn't give you anything at all.
    For example in a speed coef = 3 scenario, going from 1.0 APS to 1.01 APS (1% increase) will get you from 3 ticks/s to 3.16 ticks/s (>5% increase). Going from 1.01 APS to 1.02 APS and your tick rate stays the same.
    With higher attack speed the breakpoints are further apart and passing them gives a higher tickrate increase.
    Mapping attack speed to ticks gives you a step function.
    For better visualization, you can find some charts of this in the appendix: https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8770117237#11

I won't bother you with the details on why there are breakpoints or how to calculate them. That's covered in the next chapter.
    For real world application all you need to know is that there are breakpoints and where to find them. In the appendix: https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8770117237#11
    You can just ignore the frames/tick column.

Now, why do we even care? Because "on hit" effects like life on hit are very much dependant on how fast you hit (or tick). The more ticks, the more life you get back from LoH, the more APoC you gain and for channeling spells: The more AP they cost.

But mostly breakpoints are a thing from the past. Today they are usually ignored. That's because with the changes in patch 2.0.1 recent builds have become much less dependant on LoH or procs and most use lower attack speeds anyways (where breakpoints are much closer together).

In the next few chapters you can find more detailed descriptions of what ticks and breakpoints actually do in different contexts.

[TL;DR] - Breakpoints are attack speed thresholds at which certain skills get a considerable bump in effectiveness. Breakpoints and proper gear planning were most important for CM/WW Wizards, but affect a variety of other builds as well.

Edited by apo#2677 on 3/29/2014 3:32 PM PDT
    Reply Quote

█▌ Tick Rates and Breakpoints - Advanced

A significant portion of what I will describe in this section is based on or derived from work done by Nubtro. Some of it has also been discovered independently by the Wizard's community, but Nubtro really developed it into a unified theory. When researching anything, it's always a good idea to look at what he has done already. Because usually he is several steps ahead. Thanks for that and keep it up!

Okay, from the last chapter we know there are breakpoints. Why, you may ask. Well, I can't tell you. I imagine it has something to do with Diablo 3 being an online game. They needed simple (from a processing point of view), scalable, re-usable mechanics.
    But that's not particularly important. The important thing is, we have breakpoints.

But first some background. There are a few basic assumptions for all breakpoint calculations:
    - All attack animations have a certain frame length. An animation is just a series of pictures and a frame is one of those pictures. From start to end of an animation it always takes a certain number of frames. That is our frame length.
    - A tick inside a channeled spell or DoT acts like a regular animated attack. It's not visible, but internally it has a frame length just as everything else.
    - Display FPS is client side. Depending on how fast or slow your PC might be, you might get 40 frames per second or 200 frames per second. That has no effect on the frames or frame lengths I talk about here. All calculations are based on a fixed frame rate of 60 frames per second. That is the base frame rate the game is working with. Display on your end is scaled accordingly. For example if your game runs at 120 FPS, your animations will not run twice as fast but every frame will be displayed twice, so it still takes the same amount of time.

So 60 FPS is the base frame rate. That means the frame length for an animation that takes one second is 60 frames.
    We also know animation length scales with attack speed. More attack speed means faster attacking. And that can only mean the frame length of the animation is decreasing.
    But the thing is, you can't have half a frame. Or 0.291 frames. A single frame is the smallest possible unit. And that's where breakpoints come from. Your attack speed is translated into animation lengths and an increase in attack speed means a decrease in frame length. But you can only decrease animation lengths by full frames.
    In the last chapter I wrote that attack speed scaling is simple and intuitive for spells like Magic Missile. Well, I lied. All skills in game have breakpoints like that. It's just that for anything other than channeling it's mostly irrelevant.

How exactly do animations scale with attack speed?
    Here's the formula:
    (base_length = 60 / speed_coef)
    frames_per_attack = floor(base_length / attacks_per_second)
    hit_rate = 60 / frames_per_attack

It's pretty straight forward. The length of an animation is the base length divided by your attack speed and then rounded down (floor). Base length is the animation legth at 1 APS and can also be written as 60 divided by the speed coefficient of the spell. I personally like the speed coef representation more. But for some spells, using the base length makes more sense.
    To get to your real attack speed, you then just divide 60 by the calculated frame length.

And that's already pretty much it. Due to the rounding, not every increase in attack speed also decreases our attack's frame length. So that's where breakpoints come from.

It is important to note that breakpoints are closer together the lower the speed coefficients and the lower your attack speed. So for most spells/builds, optimizing for breakpoints does not have a very large effect.

Last but not least a few words on what exactly breakpoints apply to.

First of all, as I have said before, not every spell scales with attack speed. For example Blizzard does not. The casting animation does, but the DoT effect itself just ticks 4 times per second, regardless of your attack speed.

Other than that, there are basically two kinds of DoTs/channeled spells. Those that display all damage ticks as they happen (you can actually see the damage numbers pop for each tick individually - Arcane Torrent, Electrocute) and those that sum up all damage in ~0.8 seconds intervals (Disintegrate, Ray of Frost, Archon Disintegration Wave).

The first group uses the above formulas for everything that is hit-related.
    Your DPS is a function of damage per tick and ticks per second. So breakpoints also directly affect your damage output.
    LoH procs for each tick. Every tick can crit individually and APoC procs for each critical tick.
    Prime example for this is Arcane Torrent. For those skills, it makes kind of sense to optimize for breakpoints, because everything is affected.

The second group works with a different Damage/DPS scaling model. For example Disintegrate displays summed up damage values every 0.8 seconds, but under the hood it ticks much more frequently. Increasing your attack speed doesn't increase the tickrate but directly increases damage and therefore DPS - no breakpoints involved.
    LoH on the other hand strictly scales according to the formulas above. If you are at 2.51 APS and increase it to 2.52 APS, you will see increased DPS, but LoH stays exactly the same. If you go from 2.5 to 2.51, you will see just a minimal linear DPS increase, but a considerable bump in LoH for passing the breakpoint.

In the "Skill-Specific Mechanics and Info" section and the sections below, you can find more info on Which spells use which breakpoints for what.

[TL;DR] - I really don't want to do this right now. Hey, it's the advanced chapter. If you want to understand it, read it.

█▌ Channeled Spells and AP cost

This is very closely related to breakpoints, but I felt it deserved a separate chapter.

In the previous two sections I described breakpoints in channeled spells. As a short recap: Channeling involves a series of "invisible" ticks that each hit, crit and proc individually.
    As a bonus, they also cost AP.

Let's have a look at Ray of Frost for example. Tooltip says "Cost: 16 Arcane Power". But we all know that this is not a static value. With higher attack speed it drains AP faster.
    The mechanics for that are rather simple.
    Tooltip value is for one second at 1 APS.
    You can use that to calculate a "per tick" value. For Ray of Frost, a quick look at the breakpoints table tells us it ticks twice per second at 1 APS. So each tick costs 8 AP. (shortcut: tooltip AP cost divided by speed coefficient)

Now with that per tick value and our known attack speed scaling model, we can calculate AP cost at any given attack speed. Say we have 2.4 APS now. Breakpoints table tells us that's 5 ticks per second. Each tick costs 8 AP, so that's 40 AP per second.

Simple as that.

[TL;DR] - AP cost is paid per tick. Breakpoints apply.

█▌ Damage Ticks & Crits in Channeled Spells

As I wrote above, some channeled spells (Ray of Frost, Disintegrate) display their damage values as a sum of all damage dealt during a certain time period (usually ~0.8 seconds). They apply their damage in fixed intervals 5 times per second (every 12 frames) or faster. This changed in patch 2.0.1 (from 60 ticks/s).
    The way this works is that APS is used as a damage multiplier. So with more APS, you hit harder, not faster.
    Damage is aps*tooltip_damage/5 per frame (5 times per second). Those ticks can crit, but they are grouped up based on the breakpoint you are in.

For example at 1 APS with Disintegrate (speed_coef=3) every 20 frames (0.333 seconds), there's one RNG roll for crit. If it does crit, this frame and the subsequent 19 frames deal crit damage.
    At 2 APS, the same happens every 10 frames (0.166 seconds). One successful crit roll and the next 9 frames are automatically crit, too.
    Essentially, the size of those "tick groups" is changing with APS, but your average crit rate is not really affected.
    So if this sounds confusing, let me just tell you for DPS it doesn't make much of a difference. What you should remember is that those spells do crit, although they won't show it as yellow numbers.

Let's make it even more confusing... If you paid attention you might have noticed the above does not quite add up. If damage is applied 5 times a second, then how can there be crit rolls 3 or 6 times per second?
    That's because the tick rate is adaptive now. For example at 1 APS with Disintegrate, damage is applied after 8, 12, 12, 8, 4, 12, 4 (repeat) frames. If you add those together you get groups of 20 frames (8+12, 12+8, 4+12+4) and each of those can crit individually.

I have also looked at Ray of Frost (at 1APS) and things start to get confusing really quick. RoF has half second (30 frames) LoH ticks. The damage ticks are groups of 5, 6, 7, 11, 12 and 13 frames that each have a sum of 30 (for example 12+13+5). But it's not a repeating pattern as with Disintegrate. It's more random, except it always adds up to 30 (again, at 1 APS).

I assume it works like this for all channeled spells at all attack speeds. The algorithm kind of starts at 5 ticks/second as a baseline and adapts to whatever LoH tick requirements there might be. I can't imagine this is really more efficient than the static 60 ticks/s they had before, but I'm not a developer, so who knows.

Aaanyways... For spells that DON'T display their damage as a sum of damage (Arcane Torrent), the same rules as for AP cost apply. The tooltip damage is given for 1 APS and per second. That can be used to calculate a per-tick damage value (tooltip divided by tickrate at 1 APS as stated in the breakpoints table).
    Now that per tick value is static and your tickrate is scaling up with APS.

That's not a huge difference, but basically it means that for the first group of spells breakpoints don't matter at all for DPS. For the second group they do.

For APoC, all that matters is the LoH tickrate as per the breakpoints table. You gain AP for every crit roll. That means in the RoF example, once every 30 frames there's one roll and if that roll is successful you have a chance equal to the proc coefficient to get your full APoC.

[TL;DR] - Damage ticks either have a scaling tickrate based on breakpoints and fixed damage value or they have a kind of fixed tickrate and a linearly scaling damage value. Crits are rolled once per LoH tick. Everything is incredibly confusing.

Edited by apo#2677 on 3/29/2014 9:04 AM PDT
    Reply Quote

█▌ Skill Animations

Skills can be divided in two categories. Primary animations (also referred to as "using an attack turn") and secondary animations (also referred to as "not using an attack turn" or "not having an animation").

In the "Skill-Specific Mechanics and Info" section you will find several skills that are listed with the remark "secondary animation".
    And it's very important to understand that this is one of the best traits a skill can have.

The difference is that primary animations are always shown. There can't be two primary animations played in parallel.
    So if for example you channel Disintegrate (primary) and then hit the button to cast Magic Missile (primary), it will interrupt your channel. If you mash the Magic Missile (primary) and Arcane Orb (primary) buttons at the same time, you will always get either one, never both with one action.

Secondary animations are shown if possible. That means they are animated when you don't do anything else anyways. But if you are currently busy, the action is carried out anyways, without the animation.
    So if you channel Disintegrate (primary) again and cast Explosive Blast (secondary), it will not interrupt your channel. If you mash Explosive Blast (secondary), Diamond Skin (secondary) and Magic Missile (primary), all of them can be cast at the same time, without any delays or queueing.

Basically, secondary animation means it does not interfere with your other skills. Usually if you have 2 attacks per second, that means if you spam two primary skills, each of them will be casted once a second. If you add a third primary skill, each of the three will be casted once every 1.5 seconds.
    If the third skill you spam is a secondary instead, your first two skills will still be casted once a second. So in terms of actions per second, that skill is for free.
    A very popular example of this was the carefully crafted setup of a CM/WW or SNS Wizard. In essence it was Energy Twister, Explosive Blast, Frost Nova, Diamond Skin, one armor spell and a free slot.
    Newcomers tended to try and replace skills of that setup because they didn't understand how they worked together. And the most important part of that was the balance of attack turns. Explosive Blast and Diamond Skin are secondary. That means you could spam ET as fast as possible and throw in Frost Novas to keep the freeze up. EB and DS casts occur inbetween, but don't affect ET and FN.
    And that's important. As soon as someone tried to replace EB with anything else, the setup didn't work anymore. Because that spell then competed with ET and FN. You only have a limited amount of attacks per second, adding another spell makes the others occur less often. So you ended up with fewer ET (less procs) and fewer FN (less freeze).

The same holds true for all other builds. Ray of Frost, Disintegrate, Arcane Torrent - a spell with a primary animation breaks your channeling. A spell with a secondary animation doesn't.
    Archon: You have to choose if you want to attack with Disintegration Wave or Arcane Strike. But you can always fit in Arcane Blast - because it has a secondary animation.

Even skills on cooldown will interrupt other casts, if you press the button. TekkZero reported that here https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9244924688
    The interruption is not big enough to cause real issues, but it is enough to for example reset Arcane Dynamo on a channeled spell.
    And if you hold down the skill that's on cooldown, you stop casting until you release that button.

[TL;DR] - Skills with secondary animations don't interrupt you casting other stuff. And that is awesome! Never underestimate that.

█▌ Ruby or Emerald?

This is a question we get at least once a week. "Should I put a ruby or an emerald in my weapon?".
    The answer is: Grab a DPS calculator and find out yourself. There really is no hidden mechanic or inside knowledge that makes one better than the other.
    Ruby generally translates into more constant damage output, whereas emerald is more spikey. As long as the main damage dealers are relatively frequent hits of relatively low damage, this averages out very quickly. And even if there was a build with very slow, very hard hits, it would still average out over time. It would just take longer.
    So it simply comes down to which gem gives you more DPS. Careful if you play with Frost Nova - Deep Freeze: An Emerald benefits more from the added crit chance. So be sure to look at your buffed DPS as well, before making a decision.

[TL;DR] - Use d3up.com, d3rawr.com or any other calculator/spreadsheet you prefer. Look which gem gives you more DPS. Done.

█▌ Hints for Theorycrafting

Just a few general pointers for those who want to test or verify game mechanics:

- I can't say this often enough: Be very careful when dealing with random variables (like critical hit chance). Always make sure that you have enough samples. This can be tedious and frustrating, because it means you can do a test 5 times and still end up with results that point at the opposite direction of what's really happening. But random is random and it's very easy to get fooled by a test result that was just a statistical anomality.

- You can get a low damage weapon and a ring or amulet with a +min dmg affix to make your min and max damage equal. That results in every hit being the same damage - very useful for certain tests.

- If you need an indestructible target that doesn't fight back, go to the very first quest of act 1, Torment 6. You will need enough EHP to survive one hit of a zombie there.
    Zombies will attack you at least once and continue until the next hit would be killing you. Then they stop, until you have regenerated enough life so they can hit you again. Due to bad timing on life regeneration and/or armor spells running out, sometimes they still "accidentally" kill you. (Maybe post a bug report?^^)
    They tend to run around in circles, so try to stand in a corner, if you need a more static setup.

- If you are doing LoH tests, don't let yourself be fooled by the life return display. Life returns are displayed as a sum of all the HP you got during the last 0.5-0.857 seconds. They don't represent individual LoH ticks and the rate or value of those display ticks is not constant. It changes with life return, attack speed and sometimes randomly.
    So for example if you want to test the proc coefficient of a DoT, you ideally want to hit a monster that dies after one tick. Look at the life return: That's your base value for one tick. After that you can switch to a more durable monster. Add up all the life returns you get for one application and divide by the base value. Then you have the number of ticks for that DoT. As monsters are now scaling with character level, it has become very hard to find things that die after one tick.

- Same goes for damage ticks in channeled spells. I have mentioned this before and I will again later, but some (most for Wizards) channeled spells and DoT effects won't display damage ticks individually but as a sum of all damage done over the last ~0.8 seconds. So be careful with counting stuff on screen. It doesn't work very often.

- I mentioned this in the APS calculations section already: Damaged weapons can have a negative APS affix. If you need low attack speeds for testing, that's the way to go. Lowest you can get is 0.6 with a 2hand hammer and -0.3 APS. Don't know if those still drop in 2.0.1

Some more tips, brought to you by Nubtro:
    -> low damage white weapon, +min damage jewelry which brings minimum damage higher than maximum (if min>max the game will use min=max as the new base weapon damage so you get steady values)
    -> get rid of all life steal and life regen, only use LoH if you want to test LoH
    -> get hit (don´t be at max health) when testing LoH -
    -> Frost Nova the monster to have a short window for testing without the risk of being killed - note that MP0-1 might be best to not get one shot as you´re not killing stuff with your <150 weapon damage weapon
    -> first test should be with a 2H 1.00 aps weapon to get a basic understanding of the skill mechanics
    -> put the skill you´re testing on a keyboard button, because the game doesn´t visually display mouse clicks so you wouldn´t be able to determine when the "click" occured
    -> the click (skill activation) is usually displayed as a 5 frame long darkening of the skill icon, which you´ll recognize when viewing the video frame by frame
    -> if you research LoH, put your mouse cursor on your health globe to record health changes
    -> if you research resource regen/skill cost mechanics, the mouse cursor should be on the resource globe - note that in both cases, you may have to adjust your positioning to hit a target in the direction of either globe
    -> most recording software displays ingame frame rate, if not use ctrl+r (built in game frame rate) - to have the most accurate results wait until you have a steady 60fps rate, at least for a couple of seconds - if it´s not steady the frame lengths jump around and may make it very difficult to figure out the mechanics
    -> record the video and then view it frame by frame
    -> if you lack patience, don´t research game mechanics

[TL;DR] - If you are looking for a TL;DR, this section is probably not for you...

Edited by apo#2677 on 3/22/2014 11:15 AM PDT
    Reply Quote

█▌ Skill-Specific Mechanics and Info

In this section I want to list any skill that behaves "differently". Be it something that is not clearly visible in the tooltip or mechanics that seem counterintuitive.
    Some of this is also covered in the proc ratios table, but here I will go into more detail.

Archon

(Archon) Arcane Blast
      Secondary casting animation (cooldown, and global input limitations are the only relevant factors for how fast you can cast it).

(Archon) Disintegration Wave
      Channeled, speed coefficient 3. Breakpoints apply to LoH, AP cost and APoC. DPS is scaling linearly with attack speed (DPS=APS*tooltip_dmg). Damage applied 5 to 15 times per second and displayed once every ~0.8 seconds.

Arcane Dynamo (passive)
      https://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/wizard/passive/arcane-dynamo
      AD applies to your next attack. Specifically that means if your next spell is a channeling spell like Disintegrate, the damage bonus will last until you stop channeling.
      This includes secondary effects like the additional beams of Disintegrate - Chaos Nexus or the missiles from Arcane Torrent - Cascade. They will also benefit from the AD damage bonus.
      It also buffs all explosions of Explosive Blast - Chain Reaction and all orbs of Arcane Orb - Arcane Orbit.
      It does NOT buff Archon as a whole but the first attack you use as Archon.
      Currently doesn't buff Hydra, even though it consumes the stacks - likely bugged

Arcane Orb

Arcane Orb - Arcane Orbit
      Secondary casting animation.

Arcane Orb - Frozen Orb
      Hits three times: 262% weapon damage to all monsters it passes through. 393% weapon damage to everything hit by the explosion (radius for this is much smaller than what the visual suggests - maybe 5 yards). 128% weapon damage to all monsters affected by the chill effect, when the effect ends.

Arcane Orb - Scorch
      Damage from burning ground effect does not stack. Procs do stack (so you get twice the LoH when a monster stands in two overlapping burning effects).

Arcane Orb - Spark
      Hits twice for 174.5% weapon damage.

Arcane Torrent

Arcane Torrent - Arcane Mines
      Channeled, speed coefficient 1.5. Breakpoints apply to LoH, other procs, AP cost and DPS.
      Tooltip damage value is per mine. To get your individual DPS, multiply that by the number of ticks/mines per second.
      You can have only 6 active mines. If you cast a seventh, the first one will be removed (without exploding). So in any scenario where you cast 3 mines per second or more, those won't ever explode, because by the time you cast your 7th mine, the first one will not be armed! Either stay below the 1.90477 APS breakpoint for less than 3 mines/second or work some other spells in while channeling, to reduce the mines cast rate.

Arcane Torrent - Power Stone
      It's actually each hit, not each missile. You need to hit a target.
      Party members can see and pick up power stones.

Audacity (passive)

Black Hole
      https://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/wizard/active/black-hole
      DoT ticks 15 times over 2 seconds, not affected by attack speed. For each of those ticks there's LoH return and a crit roll (+ APoC return if successful). Damage applied 5 to 20 times per second and displayed once every ~0.8 seconds.

Black Hole - Event Horizon
      List of things it DOESN'T suck up (Thanks to Kanjihack for testing all of them):
      Butcher - Burning ground
      ZK - Tornadoes and ST bubbles
      Belial - all phase 3 attacks
      Ghom - Poison clouds
      Azmodan - ground DoT, laser attack
      Diablo - Fireballs, bone prisons
      Adria - Pretty much all non-projectile attacks
      Malthael - Death clouds
      Most non-projectile Rift Guardian attacks
      Fire traps, furnaces, and similar effects
      Herald of Pestilence ground poison, Exarch lightning, meteors, Bogan traps, and most non-elite ground effects
      Wormholes, Fire Chains, Mortar, Thunderstorm, Molten Trails (Explosions are sucked up)

Black Hole - Spellsteal
      Does not work properly with legacy elemental affixes (won't buff by the correct percentage)

Blizzard
      https://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/wizard/active/blizzard
      Damage does not stack, procs do stack. DoT ticks 4 times per second, not affected by attack speed. For each of those ticks there's LoH return and a crit roll (+ APoC return if successful). Damage applied 5 to 20 times per second and displayed once every ~0.8 seconds.
      Extended duration from gear does not result in the same numer of ticks spread out over the longer duration. Per second added, the number of ticks is increased by 4 and total damage is increased by 4 times the "per tick damage" (depending on the rune used).

Blur (passive)

Cold Blooded (passive)
      https://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/wizard/passive/cold-blooded
      Does currently not work with the following skills: Energy Twister - Mistral Breeze, Arcane Orb - Frozen Orb, Ice Armor - Frozen Storm, Shock Pulse - Explosive Bolts, Black Hole - Absolute Zero, Magic Missile - Glacial Spike*, Familiar - Icicle*, Hydra - Frost Hydra**
      * Icicle and Glacial Spike DO work, when they freeze the monster. When they only chill, they don't apply the debuff.
      ** Frost Hydra never worked, so this hasn't changed.
      First hit that has a cold damage portion will only apply the debuff. Subsequent hits will benefit from the increased damage.
      The cold damage has to come from you. Frost Hydra doesn't work, neither do Mirror Images or followers.
      To me it looks bugged. But it could be intentional to allow the debuff only for "explicit" chills instead of everything that deals cold damage.

Conflagration (passive)
      https://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/wizard/passive/conflagration
      First hit that has a fire damage portion will only apply the debuff. Subsequent hits will benefit from the increased crit chance. (This is based on testing done in Patch 1.08. Verifying this with the current version of Conflagration is not as easy)
      Any fire damage you deal (including fire Hydra) applies the debuff, no connection to proc coefficients. (This is based on testing done in Patch 1.08. Verifying this with the current version of Conflagration is not as easy)
      No visual indicator! The burning effect you see is just the fire damage, not the Conflagration debuff.

Diamond Skin

Diamond Skin - Diamond Shards
      Recasting also triggers the explosion

Disintegrate

Disintegrate - Chaos Nexus
      Additional beams are generated at a rate that scales with your attack speed. As a very rough indication, I'd say for 2 out of 3 Disintegrate LoH ticks, you get one Chaos Nexus beam. See "Unsolved Mysteries".

Dominance (passive)

Electrocute
      https://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/wizard/active/electrocute
      Channeled, speed coefficient 2. Breakpoints apply to LoH, other procs and DPS.
      Does 69% weapon damage per tick (138% per second @ 1 APS)
      Damage per tick is reduced by 30% for each target after the first. So your primary target gets 69%, the first it jumps to gets 69%*0.7=48.3%, the second gets 69%*0.7*0.7=33.81% and so on.
      Prodigy is procced once per two ticks (so equal to the other signature spells which are cast at half the speed)

Electrocute - Lightning Blast
      Not channeled, yet still a speed coefficient of 2.
      Does 140% weapon damage per hit (280% per second @ 1 APS)

Elemental Exposure (passive)
      https://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/wizard/active/elemental-exposure
      It is maximum one stack per element and four total. The durations are refreshed independently for each element.
      Just as the tooltip says, your weapon's element does apply a stack even though the elemental damage is technically never applied (because skills convert the element).
      Legacy elemental affixes ("Adds +X% to <element> Damage") do not count towards this, unless you hit with basic/no-skill/wand attack.
      Magic Weapon does not interfere with this, except when there is an active component (like the DoT applied by Ignite). The base "arcane" damage doesn't do anything for EE.
      Hydra and Mirror Images don't count as "damage dealt by you". Familiar however does apply a stack.
      The first hit is always unbuffed. EE stack is applied after damage was already dealt.
      The debuff indicator is getting brighter with every stack applied. If you look closely, you can tell how many stacks a monster has.

Energy Armor

Energy Armor - Absorption
      Chance is... Unknown. Anyone care enough to test this?

Energy Armor - Force Armor
      The amount of damage that is absorbed can not be higher than 100% of your life. That means if you have 100k life: For hits x<35k, you will lose x life. For hits with 35k<x<135k, you will lose 35k life. For hits 135k<x<200k, you will lose x - 100k life. For hits x>200k, you are dead.
      Or in short: Force Armor makes you survive hits of up to 200% of your life.
      (Thanks to Void for testing!)

Energy Armor - Pinpoint Barrier
      Crit bonus can not surpass the general 75% critchance cap. (Thanks to Nubtro for testing)

Energy Twister
      https://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/wizard/active/energy-twister
      DoT, 13 ticks over 6 seconds. Damage per cast is not affected by attack speed (Overall DPS however is, since you are casting new twisters faster). Every tick can crit individually. Damage applied 4 to 12 times per second and displayed once every ~0.8 seconds.

Energy Twister - Wicked Wind
      12 ticks, as opposed to the rest of the runes

Evocation (passive)
      https://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/wizard/active/evocation
      Stacks additively with Empowered Shrine for a total of 70% cooldown reduction.
      Stacks multiplicatively with Cooldown reduction from gear or Paragon points.
      Any kind of absoulte reduction is applied first. That means Teleport cooldown reduced by a -4 Oculus, Empowered Shrine and Evocation is (16s - 4s) * 0.3 = 3.6s
      Does not reflect in skill tooltips. They will still show the original value.

Explosive Blast

Familiar
      https://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/wizard/active/familiar
      Secondary casting animation.
      Familiar attack speed is capped at 1x your attack speed. That means even if you use a fast ticking skill like Disintegrate (deals damage at 3 times your APS), Familiar will shoot at 1x your APS. You can't surpass that cap by adding in secondary animation skills like Explosive Blast (Thanks Mental for finding).
      This currently severely bugs out when you change your attack speed while Familiar is already active. (this includes changing gear, IAS buffs, Frenzy Shrines. All changes to APS)
      You generally lose Familiar projectiles/attack speed due to this bug. Everything will be back to normal when you re-cast MW.

Frost Nova

Frost Nova - Deep Freeze
      Crit bonus can surpass the general 75% critchance cap. (Thanks to Nubtro for testing)

Frost Nova - Frozen Mist
      Procs once at cast and 27 times over the duration of the DoT. DoT is not affected by attack speed. First tick of DoT occurs together with initial hit. Damage of mutliple DoTs does not stack, LoH procs do.

Galvanizing Ward (passive)

Hydra
      https://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/wizard/active/hydra
      Does not proc life steal or LoH.
      DOES proc Magic Weapon - Electrify and Ignite. Proc coefficient for those seems to be around 0.1. God knows why. (Thanks to Zackaresh for finding)
      Hydras attack on average 2 times per second.
      Attack speed doesn't make Hydras hit faster, but proportionally increases their damage.
      Hydras inherit your crit chance and crit damage.
      Will consume Arcane Dynamo stacks but not actually use them (no increased damage) - likely bugged.
      Snapshots the Unwavering Will and Black Hole - spell Steal damage buffs.
      Unruned and fire based runes will snapshot Spectral Blade - Flame Blades damage buff.
      Does not benefit from Audacity at all.

Hydra - Arcane Hydra
      Does not use or benefit from Wave of Force - Arcane Attunement charges. (Thanks to Kanjhack for finding)

Hydra - Blazing Hydra
      DoTs stack and last around 5 seconds each (contrary to what the tooltip says)

Hydra - Frost Hydra
      Snapshots Black Hole - Absolute Zero damage buff.

Hydra - Lightning Hydra
      Does not use or benefit from Arcane Orb - Spark charges. (Thanks to Kanjhack for finding)
      Procs the chain lightning effect of Odyn Son (Thanks to Harrowing for finding)

Hydra - Mammoth Hydra
      Attacks about once every 3 seconds. DoT stacks and lasts around 4 seconds.
      Damage applied 5 times per second and displayed once every ~0.8 seconds. Looking at crit intervals there could be around 10 ticks/s, which really doesn't matter as the DoT doesn't proc anything.
      (Thanks to Harrowing for re-testing everything)

Ice Armor

Ice Armor - Frozen Storm
      Ticks twice per second, not affected by attack speed. Every tick can crit individually. Damage applied 4 to 12 times per second and displayed once every ~0.8 seconds.

Magic Missile

Magic Missile - Conflagrate
      Damage stacks. The DoT can not proc anything. DoT not affected by attack speed. Ticks 5 times per second, each of those ticks can crit individually. Damage applied 5-20 times per second and displayed once every ~0.8 seconds.
      Contrary to what the tooltip implies, you can not extend the duration of the DoT by applying any kind of fire/burn damage. It only works when you cast Magic Missile - Conflagrate again.

Magic Weapon

Magic Weapon - Deflection
      Stacks with other shield effects.
      Stacking is capped at 1 stack per your attack speed. So no matter what skill you use, the amount of shield stacks per second is equal to your character sheet APS (see also Familiar). You can't surpass that cap by adding in secondary animation skills like Explosive Blast (Thanks Mental for finding).
      This currently severely bugs out when you change your attack speed while MW is already active. (this includes changing gear, IAS buffs, Frenzy Shrines. All changes to APS)
      You generally lose stacking speed due to this bug. Everything will be back to normal when you re-cast MW.

Magic Weapon - Electrify
      Can be procced by anything that has a proc coefficient. The chance for each of those skills to trigger the shocks is equal to their respective proc coefficient.
      Lightning arcs can not hit the target they are procced off (that means no use against single target, most effective against 4 targets). Shocks have a proc coefficient of 0.
      Does 61% plain weapon damage.
      The damage caused by lightning arcs can be further increased by debuffs on monsters. That means an active Cold Blooded debuff will further increase the damage by another 10%. This is not the case for damage buffs like Glass Canon.
      Damage of lightning arcs can be further increased by "Lightning Skills deal x% more damage" affix.

Magic Weapon - Ignite
      DoT stacks. DoT can crit (one crit roll for all ticks). DoT ticks have a proc coefficient of 0.
      DoT can be procced by anything that has a proc coefficient. The chance for each of those skills to apply the DoT is equal to their respective proc coefficient.

Meteor
      https://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/wizard/active/meteor
      DoT ticks once per second and is not affected by attack speed. First tick occurs right at impact. For each of those ticks there's LoH return and a crit roll (+ APoC return if successful). Damage of DoT is applied 5 times per second and displayed once every ~0.8 seconds.

Meteor - Lightning Bind
      Extended duration does not result in the same numer of ticks spread out over the longer duration. Per second added, the number of ticks is increased by 1 and total damage of the DoT is increased by 55.6%. Resulting in 8 ticks for 445% weapon damage total.

Meteor - Meteor Shower
      DoT lasts 2 seconds only, not 3 like for the other runes. That also means only 2 ticks per DoT.
      DoT deals a total of 50% weapon damage.
      Average number of hits for a small target is around 2.5 (Thanks to TekkZero)
      Diameter of a Meteor seems to be around 9 yards (with a regular Meteor at 12 yards) (Thanks to TekkZero)

Mirror Image
      https://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/wizard/active/mirror-image
      Breaks CC effects.
      Skills cast by Mirror Images carry over all side effects. For example if you have Frost Nova - Bone Chill and an image casts it, you get the damage bonus (however, it doesn't stack with your's)
      Images inherit your crit chance and crit damage.
      They will cast any of the following spells, if they are on your skillbar:
      Magic Missile
      Shock Pulse
      Spectral Blade
      Arcane Orb
      Frost Nova
      Slow Time
      Wave of Force
      Energy Twister
      Hydra
      Meteor
      Blizzard
      Explosive Blast
      Black Hole (Thanks Jaetch for the list)
      Blizzards casted by them will stack with your own Blizzard. However, when all targets on screen are already hit by your Blizzards, they will not try to cast another.

Paralysis (passive)

Prodigy (passive)

Ray of Frost

Shock Pulse

Shock Pulse - Living Lightning
      Hits up to 11 times (big targets), usually 4-8 times (normal targets, depending on how far away they are or if they are moving). Each hit will damage all targets in range for 33% weapon damage. Number of hits is not affected by attack speed.

Slow Time

Slow Time - Time Warp
      Doesn't stack with other Wizard's casts

Slow Time - Stretch Time
      Doesn't stack with other Wizard's casts (Thanks Flavahbeast for finding)

Spectral Blade

Spectral Blade - Barrier Blades
      Stacks with other shield effects.

Spectral Blade - Siphoning Blade
      That's 2 Arcane Power per cast, so you don't get 6 AP with all three hits on a single target

Storm Armor

Storm Armor - Reactive Armor
      Also triggers off Molten trails, Electrify bolts, Mortars and Blazing Guardian's fire patches (thanks to Malakai for testing)

Temporal Flux (passive)

Unwavering Will (passive)

[TL;DR] - Sorry, the above is as short as it's gonna get.

Edited by apo#2677 on 4/17/2014 2:44 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    ~placeholder~
    Edited by apo#2677 on 5/4/2013 9:16 AM PDT
    Reply Quote

█▌ Unsolved Mysteries

█▌ SA Proc Rates

Back before 2.0.1 we still had not quite figured out how CM works with channeled spells.
    See https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7788988884 or https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8770117237?page=6 till page 11 also a few thoughts here https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8770117237?page=9#177 and a graph here http://i.imgur.com/GK9k1Ko.png

So what I want to say: SA might exhibit the same behaviour. We gave up on the idea of figuring out what happened because we were simply not smart or dedicated enough. Now without CM, I would say it has become impossible. We will never know how SA works. We can only assume it works like LoH, which is probably wrong.

[TL;DR] - SA might be the one unsolvable mystery.

█▌ AP Cost Reduction for Channeled Spells

This entry is for flat reduction (legacy) only. The new percentage based reduction seems to work as expected.

AP cost reduction for single hit spells is pretty straight forward. Meteor costs 50 AP, so with -5 AP cost on gear, it costs 45 AP instead.

But AP cost for channeled spells is "paid" per tick and the tooltip only states the per second value for 1 APS. Now cost reduction is NOT as simple as reducing that per second value and calculating a new per tick value. In all my tests I got more reduction (less cost) than I expected. For others with different testcases it was the other way around.
    I don't know how to calculate the exact value.

Multiple sources of cost reducton stack. But I don't know how.

[TL;DR] - You get a little more cost reduction than I would've thought. Mechanic remains unkown.

█▌ Chaos Nexus Beams

Chaos Nexus makes you shoot off additional small beams, while channeling Disintegrate.
    The rate at which those additional beams are generated scales with your attack speed. The problem: I don't know how exactly and I don't care enough to test it.
    From a few basic tests, it looks like they happen roughly at 2xAPS or at 2/3 of your normal Disintegrate LoH tick rate.
    But the scaling is not linear. With APS below 1, you seem to get a bit more than 2xAPS. With APS above 1.5, you seem to get a bit less than 2xAPS.
    This doesn't mean with higher APS you get less overall beams, just that it somehow resembles a logarithmic growth.

[TL;DR] - Chaos Nexus beams scale with APS, but I don't know how.

█▌ Monsters with Elemental Resistances

This one is half solved already. ChangBooster did some research on monsters with elemental resistances here: https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8728554123
    Monsters with an inherent element take 51.3% less damage from that element. This affects normal monsters as well as champions/rares.
    We know of the following monsters with resistances:
    - Smoldering/Toxic/Charged/Chilling Constructs and the likes (A2) - each to their own element
    - Guardian Towers and the spiders they spawn (A2) - each to their own element
    - Inferno Zombies (A1) - fire
    - Toxic Lurkers (A1) - poison

What's left to do is classify every single monster type in game. Have fun with that.

Questions I ask myself: Are there monsters with resistances to arcane or physical? Can't think of any monster types that strike me as inherently physical resistant. Maybe ghosts?

[TL;DR] - Some monsters have elemental resistances that make them take ~51.3% less damage of that element. We only have a few examples of that but no complete list.

Edited by apo#2677 on 4/4/2014 8:19 AM PDT
    Reply Quote

█▌ Appendix

█▌ Proc Coefficients List

Arcane Orb
      0 - No Rune : 0.31 per hit
      1 - Obliteration : 0.655 per hit
      2 - Arcane Orbit : 0.009 per hit (secondary animation)
      3 - Spark : 0.1 per hit (Hits every enemy twice)
      4 - Scorch : 0.067 per hit - DoT : 0.003 per tick (48 ticks over 6 seconds)
      5 - Frozen Orb : 0.067 per hit (Can hit the same enemy 3 times)

Arcane Torrent - Channeled - Speed Coef = 3
      0 - No Rune : 0.2 per tick
      1 - Disruption : 0.2 per tick
      2 - Death Blossom : 0.6 per tick
      3 - Arcane Mines : 0.5 per hit (Speed Coef = 1.5)
      4 - Power Stone : 0.2 per tick
      5 - Cascade : 0.16 per tick - add. Missile : 0.16 per hit

Black Hole
      0 - No Rune : 0.0267 per tick (15 ticks over 2 seconds)
      1 - Supermassive : 0.0213 per tick (15 ticks over 2 seconds)
      2 - Absolute Zero : 0.0267 per tick (15 ticks over 2 seconds)
      3 - Event Horizon : 0.0267 per tick (15 ticks over 2 seconds)
      4 - Blazar : 0.0267 per tick (15 ticks over 2 seconds) - Explosion : 0.0267 per hit
      5 - Spell Steal : 0.0267 per tick (15 ticks over 2 seconds)

Blizzard - DoT
      0 - No Rune : 0.0125 per tick (24 ticks over 6 seconds)
      1 - Grasping Chill : 0.0125 per tick (24 ticks over 6 seconds)
      2 - Frozen Solid : 0.0125 per tick (24 ticks over 6 seconds)
      3 - Snowbound : 0.0125 per tick (24 ticks over 6 seconds)
      4 - Stark Winter : 0.0125 per tick (24 ticks over 6 seconds)
      5 - Unrelenting Storm : 0.0125 per tick (32 ticks over 8 seconds)

Disintegrate - Channeled - Speed Coef = 3
      0 - No Rune : 0.167 per tick
      1 - Convergence : 0.111 per tick
      2 - Volatility : 0.125 per tick - Explosion : 0
      3 - Entropy : 0.167 per tick
      4 - Chaos Nexus : 0.111 per tick - add. Beam : 0.111 per hit
      5 - Intensify : 0.167 per tick

Electrocute - Channeled - Speed Coef = 2
      0 - No Rune : 0.25 per tick
      1 - Chain Lightning : 0.083 per tick
      2 - Forked Lightning : 0.167 per tick - charged Bolt : 0.167 per hit
      3 - Lightning Blast : 0.167 per tick
      4 - Surge of Power : 0.167 per tick
      5 - Arc Lightning : 0.1 per tick

Energy Twister - DoT
      0 - No Rune : 0.156 per tick (13 ticks over 6 seconds)
      1 - Mistral Breeze : 0.156 per tick (13 ticks over 6 seconds)
      2 - Gale Force : 0.156 per tick (13 ticks over 6 seconds)
      3 - Raging Storm : 0.156 per tick (13 ticks over 6 seconds) - Tornado : 0.156 per tick
      4 - Wicked Wind : 0.031 per tick (12 ticks over 6 seconds)
      5 - Storm Chaser : 0.156 per tick (13 ticks over 6 seconds) - Lightning Ball : 0.156 per hit (secondary animation)

Explosive Blast - secondary animation
      0 - No Rune : 0.04 per hit
      1 - Unleashed : 0.04 per hit
      2 - Time Bomb : 0.04 per hit
      3 - Short Fuse : 0.04 per hit
      4 - Obliterate : 0.025 per hit
      5 - Chain Reaction : 0.013 per hit (3 hits)

Frost Nova
      0 - No Rune : 0.167 per hit
      1 - Shatter : 0.167 per hit - nova on kill : 0
      2 - Cold Snap : 0.167 per hit
      3 - Frozen Mist : 0.05 per hit - DoT : 0.05 per tick (27 ticks over 8 seconds)
      4 - Deep Freeze : 0.167 per hit
      5 - Bone Chill : 0.167 per hit

Magic Missile
      0 - No Rune : 1.0 per hit
      1 - Charged Blast : 1.0 per hit
      2 - Glacial Spike : 0.93 per hit
      3 - Split : 0.31 per hit
      4 - Seeker : 1.0 per hit
      5 - Conflagrate : 0.5 per hit

Meteor - Hit+DoT
      0 - No Rune : 0.063 per hit - DoT : 0.063 per tick (3 ticks over 3 seconds)
      1 - Lightning Bind : 0.042 per hit - DoT : 0.042 per tick (3/8 ticks over 3/8 seconds)
      2 - Star Pact : 0.063 per hit - DoT : 0.063 per tick (3 ticks over 3 seconds)
      3 - Comet : 0.063 per hit - DoT : 0.063 per tick (3 ticks over 3 seconds)
      4 - Meteor Shower : 0.025 per hit (7 meteors) - DoT : 0.025 (2 ticks over 2 seconds)
      5 - Molten Impact : 0.11 per hit - DoT : 0.11 per tick (3 ticks over 3 seconds)

Ray of Frost - Channeled - Speed Coef = 2
      0 - No Rune : 0.333 per tick
      1 - Cold Blood : 0.333 per tick
      2 - Numb : 0.333 per tick
      3 - Black Ice : 0.333 per tick - Patch of Ice : 0.333 per tick (12 ticks over 3 seconds)
      4 - Sleet Storm : 0.188 per tick
      5 - Snow Blast : 0.333 per tick

Shock Pulse
      0 - No Rune : 0.93 per hit
      1 - Explosive Bolts : 0.93 per hit - Explosion : 0.93 per hit
      2 - Fire Bolts : 0.93 per hit
      3 - Piercing Orb : 0.77 per hit
      4 - Power Affinity : 0.8 per hit
      5 - Living Lightning : 0.054 per hit (up to 11 hits to all targets in range, over 2 seconds)

Spectral Blade
      0 - No Rune : 0.31 per hit (3 hits)
      1 - Flame Blades : 0.31 per hit (3 hits)
      2 - Siphoning Blade : 0.31 per hit (3 hits)
      3 - Thrown Blade : 0.295 per hit (3 hits)
      4 - Barrier Blades : 0.31 per hit (3 hits)
      5 - Ice Blades : 0.31 per hit (3 hits)

Storm Armor
      0 - No Rune : 0.1 per hit
      1 - Reactive Armor : 0.1 per hit - reactive shocks : 0
      2 - Power of the Storm : 0.1 per hit
      3 - Thunder Storm : 0.1 per hit
      4 - Scramble : 0.1 per hit
      5 - Shocking Aspect : 0.1 per hit - crit hit shocks : 0

Wave of Force
      0 - No Rune : 0.2 per hit
      1 - Impactful Wave : 0.25 per hit
      2 - Debilitating Force : 0.2 per hit
      3 - Arcane Attunement : 0.2 per hit
      4 - Static Pulse : 0.2 per hit
      5 - Heat Wave : 0.2 per hit

Archon attacks
      Archon - Arcane Blast : 0.25 per hit (secondary animation)
      Archon - Arcane Strike : 0.5 per hit
      Archon - Disintegration Wave : 0.1 per tick (Channeled - Speed Coef = 3)

Various
      Archon - Arcane Destruction : 0.25 per hit
      Diamond Skin - Diamond Shards : 0.1 per hit (secondary animation)
      Ice Armor - Frozen Storm : 0.125 per tick (2 ticks per second, secondary animation)
      Teleport - Calamity : 0.167 per hit

All others

Edited by apo#2677 on 4/9/2014 11:10 AM PDT
    Reply Quote

█▌ Item Information

Collection of legendary item proc effects and mechanics.
    https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12187048616
    by Kanjihack

List of all items/slots that can roll either "Increases <Skill> Damage by X%" or "<Element> skills deal X% more damage."
    https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11914351323
    by Eciton

Another list of items/slots with specific elemental/skill boni, as well as a bunch of other useful info.
    https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11985118574
    by Hope

█▌ Toolbox

Wizard Tools. Useful spreadsheet magic to help with the calculations involved in eDPS, APoC, LoH, etc.
    https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/10971757476
    by dolynick

Overview of distances / ranges in Diablo 3
    http://i.imgur.com/9A0mWVT.jpg
    Source: http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/diablo-iii-the-art-of-distance

Spreadsheet for calculating arbitrary breakpoint tables
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtMIOabF_5JgdGk5SDdwNjhnV1hLeTNRNkhwckViSHc
    (Does not work when exported to Excel)
    (Does currently not work at all, except when you are really lucky)

Game mechanics by Nubtro. Spreadsheet detailing all game mechanics relevant to Barbs and tons of generally useful information.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Avxzyy5pHlsZdDZoVzNQeVl3XzA3bExpdk5yTVdaV1E&gid=0
    by Nubtro

DPS and EHP Spreadsheet. Spreadsheet for character planning and gear comparison.
    http://www.diablofans.com/forums/diablo-iii-class-forums/wizard-the-ancient-repositories/52577-dps-and-ehp-spreadsheet
    by Loroese

█▌ Breakpoint Tables and Charts

Tables look like crap, I know. If anyone has any idea how to improve them, please post. Otherwise we will just have to wait until [code ] tags get fixed... Can't be that hard, they already got it working in the WoW forums...
    If you quote this post and then hit "preview" (don't submit), you'll get a much nicer layout.

Speed Coefficient = 2 (Ray of Frost, Electrocute)
    MinAPS - MaxAPS Frames/Tick Ticks/Second
    0.58824 - 0.60000 50 1.20000
    0.60001 - 0.61224 49 1.22449
    0.61225 - 0.62500 48 1.25000
    0.62500 - 0.63829 47 1.27660
    0.63830 - 0.65217 46 1.30435
    0.65218 - 0.66666 45 1.33333
    0.66667 - 0.68181 44 1.36364
    0.68182 - 0.69767 43 1.39535
    0.69768 - 0.71428 42 1.42857
    0.71429 - 0.73170 41 1.46341
    0.73171 - 0.75000 40 1.50000
    0.75001 - 0.76923 39 1.53846
    0.76924 - 0.78947 38 1.57895
    0.78948 - 0.81081 37 1.62162
    0.81082 - 0.83333 36 1.66667
    0.83334 - 0.85714 35 1.71429
    0.85715 - 0.88235 34 1.76471
    0.88236 - 0.90909 33 1.81818
    0.90910 - 0.93750 32 1.87500
    0.93751 - 0.96774 31 1.93548
    0.96775 - 1.00000 30 2.00000
    1.00001 - 1.03448 29 2.06897
    1.03449 - 1.07142 28 2.14286
    1.07143 - 1.11111 27 2.22222
    1.11112 - 1.15384 26 2.30769
    1.15385 - 1.20000 25 2.40000
    1.20001 - 1.25000 24 2.50000
    1.25001 - 1.30434 23 2.60870
    1.30435 - 1.36363 22 2.72727
    1.36364 - 1.42857 21 2.85714
    1.42858 - 1.50000 20 3.00000
    1.50001 - 1.57894 19 3.15789
    1.57895 - 1.66666 18 3.33333
    1.66667 - 1.76470 17 3.52941
    1.76471 - 1.87500 16 3.75000
    1.87501 - 2.00000 15 4.00000
    2.00001 - 2.14285 14 4.28571
    2.14286 - 2.30769 13 4.61538
    2.30770 - 2.50000 12 5.00000
    2.50001 - 2.72727 11 5.45455
    2.72728 - 3.00000 10 6.00000
    3.00001 - 3.33333 9 6.66667
    3.33334 - 3.75000 8 7.50000
    3.75001 - 4.28571 7 8.57143
    4.28572 - 5.00000 6 10.00000

Speed Coefficient = 3 (Disintegrate, Arcane Torrent, Archon Disintegration Wave)
    0.58824 - 0.60606 33 1.81818
    0.60607 - 0.62500 32 1.87500
    0.62500 - 0.64516 31 1.93548
    0.64517 - 0.66666 30 2.00000
    0.66667 - 0.68965 29 2.06897
    0.68966 - 0.71428 28 2.14286
    0.71429 - 0.74074 27 2.22222
    0.74075 - 0.76923 26 2.30769
    0.76924 - 0.80000 25 2.40000
    0.80001 - 0.83333 24 2.50000
    0.83334 - 0.86956 23 2.60870
    0.86957 - 0.90909 22 2.72727
    0.90910 - 0.95238 21 2.85714
    0.95239 - 1.00000 20 3.00000
    1.00001 - 1.05263 19 3.15789
    1.05264 - 1.11111 18 3.33333
    1.11112 - 1.17647 17 3.52941
    1.17648 - 1.25000 16 3.75000
    1.25001 - 1.33333 15 4.00000
    1.33334 - 1.42857 14 4.28571
    1.42858 - 1.53846 13 4.61538
    1.53847 - 1.66666 12 5.00000
    1.66667 - 1.81818 11 5.45455
    1.81819 - 2.00000 10 6.00000
    2.00001 - 2.22222 9 6.66667
    2.22223 - 2.50000 8 7.50000
    2.50001 - 2.85714 7 8.57143
    2.85715 - 3.33333 6 10.00000
    3.33334 - 4.00000 5 12.00000
    4.00000 - 5.00000 4 15.00000

Speed Coefficient = 1.5 (Arcane Mines)
    0.59702 - 0.60606 66 0.90909
    0.60607 - 0.61538 65 0.92308
    0.61539 - 0.62500 64 0.93750
    0.62500 - 0.63492 63 0.95238
    0.63493 - 0.64516 62 0.96774
    0.64517 - 0.65573 61 0.98361
    0.65574 - 0.66666 60 1.00000
    0.66667 - 0.67796 59 1.01695
    0.67797 - 0.68965 58 1.03448
    0.68966 - 0.70175 57 1.05263
    0.70176 - 0.71428 56 1.07143
    0.71429 - 0.72727 55 1.09091
    0.72728 - 0.74074 54 1.11111
    0.74075 - 0.75471 53 1.13208
    0.75472 - 0.76923 52 1.15385
    0.76924 - 0.78431 51 1.17647
    0.78432 - 0.80000 50 1.20000
    0.80001 - 0.81632 49 1.22449
    0.81633 - 0.83333 48 1.25000
    0.83334 - 0.85106 47 1.27660
    0.85107 - 0.86956 46 1.30435
    0.86957 - 0.88888 45 1.33333
    0.88889 - 0.90909 44 1.36364
    0.90910 - 0.93023 43 1.39535
    0.93024 - 0.95238 42 1.42857
    0.95239 - 0.97560 41 1.46341
    0.97561 - 1.00000 40 1.50000
    1.00001 - 1.02564 39 1.53846
    1.02565 - 1.05263 38 1.57895
    1.05264 - 1.08108 37 1.62162
    1.08109 - 1.11111 36 1.66667
    1.11112 - 1.14285 35 1.71429
    1.14286 - 1.17647 34 1.76471
    1.17648 - 1.21212 33 1.81818
    1.21213 - 1.25000 32 1.87500
    1.25001 - 1.29032 31 1.93548
    1.29033 - 1.33333 30 2.00000
    1.33334 - 1.37931 29 2.06897
    1.37932 - 1.42857 28 2.14286
    1.42858 - 1.48148 27 2.22222
    1.48149 - 1.53846 26 2.30769
    1.53847 - 1.60000 25 2.40000
    1.60001 - 1.66666 24 2.50000
    1.66667 - 1.73913 23 2.60870
    1.73914 - 1.81818 22 2.72727
    1.81819 - 1.90476 21 2.85714
    1.90477 - 2.00000 20 3.00000
    2.00001 - 2.10526 19 3.15789
    2.10527 - 2.22222 18 3.33333
    2.22223 - 2.35294 17 3.52941
    2.35295 - 2.50000 16 3.75000
    2.50001 - 2.66666 15 4.00000
    2.66667 - 2.85714 14 4.28571
    2.85715 - 3.07692 13 4.61538
    3.07693 - 3.33333 12 5.00000
    3.33334 - 3.63636 11 5.45455
    3.63637 - 4.00000 10 6.00000
    4.00000 - 4.44444 9 6.66667
    4.44445 - 5.00000 8 7.50000

Speed Coefficient = 1 (Regular Attack)
    0.59406 - 0.60000 100 0.60000
    0.60000 - 0.60606 99 0.60606
    0.60607 - 0.61224 98 0.61224
    0.61225 - 0.61855 97 0.61856
    0.61856 - 0.62500 96 0.62500
    0.62500 - 0.63157 95 0.63158
    0.63158 - 0.63829 94 0.63830
    0.63830 - 0.64516 93 0.64516
    0.64517 - 0.65217 92 0.65217
    0.65218 - 0.65934 91 0.65934
    0.65935 - 0.66666 90 0.66667
    0.66667 - 0.67415 89 0.67416
    0.67416 - 0.68181 88 0.68182
    0.68182 - 0.68965 87 0.68966
    0.68966 - 0.69767 86 0.69767
    0.69768 - 0.70588 85 0.70588
    0.70589 - 0.71428 84 0.71429
    0.71429 - 0.72289 83 0.72289
    0.72290 - 0.73170 82 0.73171
    0.73171 - 0.74074 81 0.74074
    0.74075 - 0.75000 80 0.75000
    0.75001 - 0.75949 79 0.75949
    0.75950 - 0.76923 78 0.76923
    0.76924 - 0.77922 77 0.77922
    0.77923 - 0.78947 76 0.78947
    0.78948 - 0.80000 75 0.80000
    0.80001 - 0.81081 74 0.81081
    0.81082 - 0.82191 73 0.82192
    0.82192 - 0.83333 72 0.83333
    0.83334 - 0.84507 71 0.84507
    0.84508 - 0.85714 70 0.85714
    0.85715 - 0.86956 69 0.86957
    0.86957 - 0.88235 68 0.88235
    0.88236 - 0.89552 67 0.89552
    0.89553 - 0.90909 66 0.90909
    0.90910 - 0.92307 65 0.92308
    0.92308 - 0.93750 64 0.93750
    0.93751 - 0.95238 63 0.95238
    0.95239 - 0.96774 62 0.96774
    0.96775 - 0.98360 61 0.98361
    0.98361 - 1.00000 60 1.00000
    1.00001 - 1.01694 59 1.01695
    1.01695 - 1.03448 58 1.03448
    1.03449 - 1.05263 57 1.05263
    1.05264 - 1.07142 56 1.07143
    1.07143 - 1.09090 55 1.09091
    1.09091 - 1.11111 54 1.11111
    1.11112 - 1.13207 53 1.13208
    1.13208 - 1.15384 52 1.15385
    1.15385 - 1.17647 51 1.17647
    1.17648 - 1.20000 50 1.20000
    1.20001 - 1.22448 49 1.22449
    1.22449 - 1.25000 48 1.25000
    1.25001 - 1.27659 47 1.27660
    1.27660 - 1.30434 46 1.30435
    1.30435 - 1.33333 45 1.33333
    1.33334 - 1.36363 44 1.36364
    1.36364 - 1.39534 43 1.39535
    1.39535 - 1.42857 42 1.42857
    1.42858 - 1.46341 41 1.46341
    1.46342 - 1.50000 40 1.50000
    1.50001 - 1.53846 39 1.53846
    1.53847 - 1.57894 38 1.57895
    1.57895 - 1.62162 37 1.62162
    1.62163 - 1.66666 36 1.66667
    1.66667 - 1.71428 35 1.71429
    1.71429 - 1.76470 34 1.76471
    1.76471 - 1.81818 33 1.81818
    1.81819 - 1.87500 32 1.87500
    1.87501 - 1.93548 31 1.93548
    1.93549 - 2.00000 30 2.00000
    2.00001 - 2.06896 29 2.06897
    2.06897 - 2.14285 28 2.14286
    2.14286 - 2.22222 27 2.22222
    2.22223 - 2.30769 26 2.30769
    2.30770 - 2.40000 25 2.40000
    2.40001 - 2.50000 24 2.50000
    2.50001 - 2.60869 23 2.60870
    2.60870 - 2.72727 22 2.72727
    2.72728 - 2.85714 21 2.85714
    2.85715 - 3.00000 20 3.00000
    3.00001 - 3.15789 19 3.15789
    3.15790 - 3.33333 18 3.33333
    3.33334 - 3.52941 17 3.52941
    3.52942 - 3.75000 16 3.75000
    3.75001 - 4.00000 15 4.00000
    4.00000 - 4.28571 14 4.28571
    4.28572 - 4.61538 13 4.61538
    4.61539 - 5.00000 12 5.00000

Graph for Speed Coef 1 ticks/second
    http://i.imgur.com/zYcUQDf.png

Graph for Speed Coef 1.5 ticks/second
    http://i.imgur.com/reM46ru.png

Graph for Speed Coef 2 ticks/second
    http://i.imgur.com/vH827C9.png

Graph for Speed Coef 3 ticks/second
    http://i.imgur.com/O7pNilF.png

Edited by apo#2677 on 4/4/2014 8:20 AM PDT
    Reply Quote

█▌ Changelog

20140416 - Added/corrected notes on Familiar/Deflection APS bug, Stretch Time stacking (thanks Flavahbeast), EE debuff indicator, Mirror Images, Audacity and Hydra
    20140410 - Updated Familiar, Hydras, Cold Blooded, few other things
    20140409 - Updated proc coef of surge of power; Updated mechanics of AD, Hydra, Mirror Images, Cold Blooded, Frozen Orb, Electrocute, Prodigy
    20140404 - Added Nubtro's game mechanics spreadsheet and Loroese's DPS/EHP spreadsheet to appendix; Replaced reference to diablofans thread by Nubtro's spreadsheet in damage calcs chapter; few minor corrections
    20140401 - Reorganized appendix a bit; Few minor additions/corrections
    20140330 - Added list of things unaffected by Event Horizon; Few minor additions and clarifications to skill specifics
    20140326 - Update for RoS (proc coef, skill specifics, damage buff stacking)
    20140324 - More accurate damage tick rates for DoTs and channeled spells
    20140322 - Added more external info; Re-arranged appendix; Rewritten damage ticks in channeled spells and everything relying on that info; Removed "on-attack" chapter (no longer relevant); Corrected some info in skill specifics
    20140316 - More additions to skill mechanics; Added chapters about distances, elemental/skill damage boni, bleed damage; Minor corrections here and there
    20140315 - Started working on skill mechanics
    20140308 - Corrected info in almost all "text" chapters; Added chapter about area damage
    20140305 - More additions/corrections to damage calculations, specifically elemental damage buffs
    20140304 - Corrected damage calculations chapter; Removed reflect damage chapter; Added clarification on elemental damage
    20140303 - Corrected elemental damage chapters
    20140228 - Corrected/rounded some proc coefficients; Removed references to variable ET tickrate; Removed references to CM
    20140226 - Updated proc coefficients after patch 2.0.1
    20140101 - Fixed two Diablofans links; Happy new year
    20131206 - Reworded Black Ice / Cascade description; Clarification on Arcane Dynamo plus channeled spells with secondary effects; Moved changelog again
    20131127 - Changed/added few Hydra specifics based on comments by Harrowing; Corrected Frozen Mist stacking
    20131116 - Few more details on Hydra/Electrocute/Spectral Blade/Evocation; Details on monsters with elemental resists; Few corrections to unsolved mysteries
    20131021 - More details to CC chapter
    20131019 - Added breakpoint tables+charts for speed coef 1 and 1.5; Reworded casting animations to terms used by Wyatt in his GDC talk
    20131015 - Fixed slows and CC reduction gear - thanks TekkZero for the formula
    20131007 - Added chapter "Crowd Control"; Added link to TekkZero's proc coef ranking
    20130912 - Refined Damage Calculations introduction and info on bonus damage to elemental skills
    20130907 - Clarification on CB and Conflag; Moar credit for Nubtro; Added few minor things in skill specifics
    20130817 - New chapter "Reflects Damage"; Added specifics about AT Cascade and RoF Black Ice; Moved changelog to bottom... and back up. Didn't like it
    20130728 - Few corrections and additions to skill specifics (Armor spells, FN, Deep Cuts, Electrify, Venom)
    20130726 - Added skill links to specifics section; Added explanation of new Electrify mechanics; Added Diamond Shards to things that can proc Venom; Added link to list of attacks tested to be melee; Added more detail to Blizzard and Meteor in specifics section; Reworded parts of the damage calcs/buff stacking description to avoid confusion; Corrected damage/tick for Living Lightning; Fixed a typo; Changed a few http links to https
    20130713 - Removed Paralysis mystery; Added Paralysis + Lightning Hydra to skill specifics; Added crit & APoC info to damage ticks+channeling section; Added recent discovieries to CM&SA mystery; Edited a few things in Tickrates/Breakpoints chapters
    20130623 - Deep Cuts ticks mystery (mostly) resolved; Damage ticks in channeled spells moved from mysteries to mechanics; Reworked some skill specific info based on comments and testing by Nubtro; Added theorycrafting hints by Nubtro; Added link to Nubtro's thread on AT; Moved some chapters around; Added warning labels to some chapters due to uncertainty about mechanics; Fixed at least one typo
    20130615 - Added info on AT Power Stone and extended Blizzard duration to skill specifics; Renamed chapter "Skills without Animation" to "Skill Animations" and added short info on skills on cooldown interrupting other skills
    20130605 - Added info on Mirror Mimics, Blur and AD to skill specifics; Added AD+channeling explanation to "On Attack"-Effects section
    20130530 - Added section about Chaos Nexus; Added details in skill specifics regarding Chaos Nexus, AT/mines and general channeling tooltip damage->DPS conversion; Added short info on "Damage Ticks in Channeled Spells"
    20130505 - Added section about non-animated skills; Added section on monster's elemental resistances; Added a few details in skill specifics section
    20130504 - Initial version

Edited by apo#2677 on 4/18/2014 8:46 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    11 reserved posts, this is gonna be a long read but i cant wait to see the big reveal
    Reply Quote
    Crap. That last post has kinda broken the forum I think.
    Reply Quote
    05/04/2013 09:13 AMPosted by SteelPhantom
    11 reserved posts, this is gonna be a long read but i cant wait to see the big reveal

Oh yeah! Time to grab a cup of coffee!
    Reply Quote
    Mama, this is so much work in one thread O_O

Thank you and after being polished it should be stickied I think !
    Reply Quote
    I'm making coffee for this!
    Reply Quote
    Geez, this is dedication personified. I in particular what to know "What the hell is wrong with Paralysis?" ^^
    Reply Quote
    VERY VERY VERY VERY nice topic, pretty much recommended specially for newbies
    Reply Quote
    All done now. Post #11 and forward looks like crap in Firefox, but I don't know how to fix that (except by removing content). Internet Explorer displays fine. Don't know about other browsers.

Links are set up and should eliminate a lot of scrolling needs when navigating the thread.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]