Diablo® III

Mechanics And Game Information Compendium

07/20/2013 10:49 AMPosted by apo
As I said, Arcane Mines is the only build I can think of that really benefits from the change.

how about AT-cascade? i use a blizzard-AT-cascade build btw :D
Reply Quote
I picked AM, because I knew there is a build floating around. And high base damage + Arcane Dynamo + good proc rates = win for the new Electrify

But sure, should work with Cascade as well.
Reply Quote
What the hell? When did they patch Magic Weapon - Electrify?

I am absolutely sure it used to be a simple on-hit proc dealing 10% weapon damage.

Right now it
1) Can't be proced by all spells anymore. For example it doesn't work with ET at all. I expect it will be the same spells as for Venom
2) It does 10% of the original spell's damage

So say you are attacking with Magic Missile, you have a 100% chance to deal 10% of the original 125% weapon damage to up to 3 nearby enemies. If you attack with Explosive Blast you have a 33% chance to deal 10% of the original 225% weapon damage. And so on.
This even goes so far as to include crits. If your magic missile crits, your Electrify proc will automatically deal 10% of the crit damage, not roll for a crit separately.

All based on a few quick tests, because someone on the German forums mentioned ET not procing Electrify. Will likely spend more time on that unless someone else does.

WTF Blizzard? That wasn't worth mentioning in the patchnotes?

[edit]Someone would have to verify, but I guess that would make Electrify a great choice for an Arcane Mines build.
Apo, so how would this work with Chain Reaction? The damage for this spell is split across 3 attacks (90% per blast) and the proc coefficient of each of those attacks is 11%. Thus, it seems that with Chain Reaction, 11% of the time you'd trigger 9% weapon damage, or 1% average damage dealt up to 3 enemies. In contrast, 33% of the time you'd trigger 31.5% weapon damage with Time Bomb, or 10.5% average damage dealt up to 3 enemies. Now we know that Chain Reaction hits 3x more often than Time Bomb, but that's still only dealing about 3% damage compared to 10.5% with Time Bomb. Is this correct?

If so, it definitely seems big-hitting spells like Arcane Mines or Time Bomb are the big winners with this change.
Edited by TekkZero#1963 on 7/23/2013 11:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
07/23/2013 09:17 AMPosted by yems
As I said, Arcane Mines is the only build I can think of that really benefits from the change.

how about AT-cascade? i use a blizzard-AT-cascade build btw :D

Gendehar and I were messing around with various AT builds using the new Electrify a few days ago, and the AM build he used was definitely the big winner with it. But the Cascade build I used wasn't too shabby either:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#eYXfhS!bWg!cYccca

Arcane Torrent, EB, and DS can all proc Electrify, so it was going out constantly. Each time you kill something with Cascade, the extra missile does a significant amount of damage, so if it procs Electrify it does decent damage. Only "problem" is that Cascade has a rather low proc coefficient (.160), and so do CR and DS, so I'm not sure if it was actually better than using Force Weapon in the build.

I prefer using Disruption over Cascade since Cascade only really shines against trash, and trash was going fast enough as it is with everything else in the build. Disruption was a lot better for elites, and boosted Gendehar's AM damage as well, so elites went down pretty fast.

Need to find a way to get Fire Bolts working well in a build. High damage, very high proc coefficient, and can proc Electrify. Maybe something with Arcane Dynamo and EB along with it. Almost every EB cast will be boosted by AD, so if you get an Electrify proc with EB it will do decent damage. And the Electrify procs from Fire Bolts should be doing pretty good damage as well. Something to try when the servers are back up I suppose.
Reply Quote
Yes, for CR it's a small nerf, for TB it's a huge buff.

For CR it used to be 3 times 10% damage @ 11% proc chance
For TB it used to be 1 time 10% damage @ 33% proc chance

Now for CR is is 3 times 9% damage @ 11% proc chance
And for TB it's 1 time 31.5% damage @ 33% proc chance

So yes, previously both spells were relatively equal, now TB performs significantly better. But still not nearly as well as WW used to.

For the first time now we have to look at skill damage to proc chance ratios. Previously the only relevant stat was hit rate to proc chance.
Reply Quote
Am I the only one that's absolutely livid about this change?
Reply Quote
07/23/2013 11:21 AMPosted by Malakai
Cascade only really shines against trash

yeah, that's how i really manage to come up with, but anyways it works pretty well even on mid mp's . Ive been farming mp7 super efficient, not dying , killing elites facetank'ed and so on -- elites with illusionist die real fast since cascades chain reaction works best at them

07/23/2013 11:21 AMPosted by Malakai
Need to find a way to get Fire Bolts working well in a build

oh yeah, talk about fire bolts - ive also tried a few build around it - works around a support type for archon users:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#blgQfS!eWd!ZYZaYc

works best if you got a 14% shockpulse source and an SOJ with shockpulse in it - archon's in ur party would get cold blood - you'd be the frontliner so you could cast blizzard on mobs , shoot them a bit of firebolts then move ahead. You'd want to provide the party members constant coldblood+ conflag bonus. illusionist makes it possible to almost permacast teleport and time warp
Reply Quote
Bigger update to the skill specifics. Electrify and a few more additions/changes.
Also added links to the skill pages (mouseover works), because when I personally browse through the skill specifics section I often had to switch to another tab, open the game guide, search for skills, etc. blabla just to get the skill damage or exact wording of the tooltip or whatever. So that's now much less clicks.
Reply Quote
I see no mention of this in your post(s) apo.

Deep Freeze goes over the 75% crit chance cap, Pinpoint Barrier doesn´t.

Just for your information, Barbs have WotB, Battle Rage and Ruthless which go over the cap and Demon Hunters have Sharpshooter.
Edited by Nubtro#2147 on 7/27/2013 8:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
btw nubtro could u find out if deep cuts procs cm better than say healing or siphoning blades? feels like it speciallt with electrify but couldnt bet my life on it.
Reply Quote
I see no mention of this in your post(s) apo.

Deep Freeze goes over the 75% crit chance cap, Pinpoint Barrier doesn´t.

Just for your information, Barbs have WotB, Battle Rage and Ruthless which go over the cap and Demon Hunters have Sharpshooter.

Thanks, will add that.

07/27/2013 08:30 AMPosted by ximae
btw nubtro could u find out if deep cuts procs cm better than say healing or siphoning blades? feels like it speciallt with electrify but couldnt bet my life on it.

Well yes. The Deep Cuts DoT procs LoH once and rolls for a crit once. But if the DoT crits, there are multiple checks for CM (testing suggests around 30 with a 0.14 proc coef). So it's definitely the best rune to proc CM.
Don't think the DoT can proc Electrify though.
Reply Quote
Hey apo add some black ice rune mechanics..

just like the powerstone rune whereas any skill that killed the mobs triggers the DOT spells as long as you're channeling ROF. I tried it with blizzard and anything that blizzard kills while im channeling ROF leaves a patch of ice --

edit: haven't noticed but malakai already created the vid out of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJIHGip_x6U&feature=youtu.be
Edited by yems#6688 on 7/29/2013 5:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Nice find, thanks.
I will try Disintegrate - Volatility and Arcane Torrent - Cascade later. Unless someone already has.
Reply Quote
I´m not getting any patches of ice after the kills whatsoever...

SORRY I messed up my Wiz is wearing a Sever that´s why.

I should probably make a list of skills that don´t trigger their on kill effects when having the "slain enemies rest in pieces" affix equipped.
Edited by Nubtro#2147 on 7/29/2013 12:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I´m not getting any patches of ice after the kills whatsoever...

SORRY I messed up my Wiz is wearing a Sever that´s why.

I should probably make a list of skills that don´t trigger their on kill effects when having the "slain enemies rest in pieces" affix equipped.

You had me worried for a bit when I first read your unedited post and then saw the Blue post talking about maintenance here in the U.S. tomorrow. haha.

I really hope they don't nerf/fix this. It's pretty broken, I admit, but when you're playing with others in a normal fashion, their killing blows won't trigger your ice patches, so it kinda falls apart in normal group play sessions. It doesn't trivialize Ubers like SNS, it's not all that great when you get an elite pack by itself (you need tons of trash mobs around to work it), and in certain zones (with lots of ranged packs) it's just awful. You can abuse the ever living hell out of it with a partner (see this video: http://youtu.be/blL7U_2_YIY ), but it can wreck your computer performance and latency quite a bit with older hardware.

Still... it seems unintended (like the Power Stone thing), so it'll probably get fixed eventually.
Reply Quote
Cascade seems to do the same. Got additional beams off monsters killed by Blizzard. Don't think that's exploitable though. Single target, low damage (compared to Black Ice)...

Couldn't get it to work with Volatility. At least I don't think so. Will probably do some more tests tomorrow.
Reply Quote
oh yea the cascade thing is one of my fave, specially when encountering illusionists :D
Reply Quote
Really dumb question, is the ww breakpoint 2.727 like the OP says or is it 2.738 like some older posts list?

It's feeling to me like 2.74 aps in game is a stronger freeze than 2.73, but it might be in my head...
Reply Quote
The 2.738 from the thread you are referring to was based on ingame testing. We didn't know the mechanics so we just tried out about a hundred different APS values and wrote down the results.
The numbers here are calculated values based on the formulas we found a few weeks later.

If you scroll down in the original thread https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6794871641 you can find the more accurate numbers there, too.
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8704740408

That's also another post with just the important data, removing the in game testing and just listing the actual breakpoints.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]