Diablo® III

Mechanics And Game Information Compendium

(Sticky)

What's up with Crit Cap? What all do we know about different crit sources/caps?

Energy Armor - Pinpoint Barrier
Crit bonus can not surpass the general 75% critchance cap.

Deep freeze goes over cap but Pinpoint doesn't?

Are other classes affected by cap?

Are +crit to skills affected by cap?

Is scoundrel crit affected by cap?

How do we even know there is a cap? When/how was tested? Isn't max worn 'generic' crit =69?

+6 head,+10 ammy, +6 ring, +6 ring, +10 gloves +6 bracer, +1 belt, +1 pants, +10 offhand, +1 weapon, +7 Nat bonus, +5 native crit?

Does the cap affect dmg, functionality (cm, electrify/SA:SA), or both?

Just asking because without a cap, wonder what AO, ROF, EB, ET item crit in Loot 2.0 will be possible (8 on Mara's, 6 on ring, 8 on weapon/source/helm, +10 from paragon = roughly 32 additional crit, potentially bringing unbuffed skill crit to 100 before DF, pinpoint, or scoundrel buff.

Will crits crit at 100+cc?

Or will Crit get diminishing returns like dodge?

Mostly just interested in what we know about crit cap. The rest is just food for thought.
Edited by Vox#1186 on 9/6/2013 4:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
See for example http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6934954926

The info on pinpoint and DF came from Nubtro, forgot to properly give him credit. https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8770117237?page=12#229

You can test it by going max gear CC + scoundrel = 72 or so. Then apply DF or Pinpoint and watch your charsheet to see what happens.

Things like "Increases crit chance of skill x by y%" naturally are much harder to test because they don't show up on your charsheet.

Nobody knows what will happen in the expansion. I imagine they will be trying to tone down CC&CD a bit rather than increasing them further.
Reply Quote
Apo--Thanks!

This is probably worth re-testing come loot/paragon 2.0. Or they could just tell us!
Reply Quote
New chapter on crowd control now up.
As always, happy for any corrections or additions.
Reply Quote
Something from my personal data gathering.

Elite CC affix durations:
Nightmarish = 60 frames (1.0 sec)
Jailer = 90 frames (1.5 sec)
Frozen = 150 frames (2.5 sec)
Knockback = 180 frames slow (3.0 sec)

Figured out by counting the frame length of icons that are displayed when you´re CCed.

Btw. I initially thought CC reduction would lower the duration of slow (which didn´t work on knockback´s slow) but according to your data it reduces the MS % of the effect. Thanks for that info ;)
Reply Quote
Thanks, added.

10/21/2013 01:54 AMPosted by Nubtro
Btw. I initially thought CC reduction would lower the duration of slow

Yes, who wouldn't... After all that's what the description says.
Another case of grossly inaccurate tooltip info.

One thing I still can't quite wrap my mind around is how some of the slow effects seem to stack.

When you have a bunch of ghosts around you and pay attention to the "chilled" icon, you can sometimes see a stack number. I don't think I've ever seen more than 2 stacks. But I have never seen any effect of the additional stack either. MS seems to be the same. Effect on duration doesn't make any sense I think.
Same goes for Dervishes swirly attack. Also stacks, somehow.

Anyone knows what that is all about?
Reply Quote

I thought that stacking thing was a DoT for how much damage you take while standing in the swirl, rather than a stacking slow or IAS debuff...

but I never really looked closely at it.

Also, can I expect you to start delving into all the new proc coefficients once a PTR is finally made available to the public?
Reply Quote

I thought that stacking thing was a DoT for how much damage you take while standing in the swirl, rather than a stacking slow or IAS debuff...

Also, can I expect you to start delving into all the new proc coefficients once a PTR is finally made available to the public?

That could be it. The icon is the one for slow effects but it could be a combined DoT/debuff.

And yes I will update everything eventually.
However, come expansion I will most likely be busy playing the game. So I really hope for the majority of changes to be implemented with the pre-expansion patch.
And even then, it's not a matter of a few hours. Elemental damage, damage calculations, proc coefficients, skill mechanics, tick rates and breakpoints are all likely to change significantly.
Reply Quote
New question: How do reduced cooldowns stack?

Or more specifically, for teleport, how does flat -4s cooldown (Oculus) stack with -%cooldown (Evocation, Empowered Shrine)? Which is applied first?

Just tried a timer and couldn't really be confident one way or the other.

Empowered seems to be -50% cooldown.
Reply Quote
No idea. Never given it any thought.
If you want to test it yourself I suggest recording a video at 60 FPS and then go through it frame-by-frame to get a precise measurement of how many frames a skill was on cooldown.
If you can't or don't want to, I will do it eventually. Just don't know when I'll get to it.
Reply Quote

The debuff slows your attack speed and stacks, and it goes away as soon as you move (or if the timer expires, whichever comes first). It prevents you from standing still and dps'ing through it (or rather, it's supposed to). If I don't stutter-step very slightly or Teleport every so often while fighting the elite versions of them in VotA to keep the debuff from stacking, I can sometimes die pretty fast from it when using 2H SS (no Frost Nova), even with 7.5% LS, if there are other things going on at the same time (Plague + Electrify, stuff like that).
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III
View profile
Someone just asked me this and I couldn't give him an answer. I'm also at work so I can't test this out myself.

Has anyone tried running with a party of 4 wizards all running Blizzard? I know multiple casts from a single wizard won't stack, but what about one cast from each wizard? When I run Blizzard, I'm usually solo or the only guy doing so.

The answer to this question should be placed right under the Blizzard spell description.
Twitter: @Jaetch
Edited by Jaetch#1861 on 10/30/2013 9:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
We had this question a few times before. The general opinion is that damage should stack and the slow effect shouldn't. But I don't know if anyone has ever actually tested it.

It would be really weird if damage didn't stack.
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III
View profile
We had this question a few times before. The general opinion is that damage should stack and the slow effect shouldn't. But I don't know if anyone has ever actually tested it.

It would be really weird if damage didn't stack.

Gotta put this test on the to-do list. I feel like plans to test this out never came to fruition. If a group can do it now, that'd be great. If not, I'll see if I can gather people together tonight after I get home from work.

Basically, Ghom?

One guy casts Blizzard, others join in one by one with their Blizzards and see if the damage gets amplified?
Twitter: @Jaetch
Reply Quote
Basically, Ghom?

One guy casts Blizzard, others join in one by one with their Blizzards and see if the damage gets amplified?

Any target(s) as long as both Blizzards are hitting the same. Two Wizards should be enough. The difference between one Blizzard and two Blizzards should be fairly obvious. Even when not looking at monster health - if damage didn't stack, one of the Wizards shouldn't see any damage numbers at all. Or LS returns. Or procs or anything. That's why I can't imagine they won't stack. Seems unreasonable even for Blizzard (the company).

A more scientific approach would be a min=max damage setup with 0 crit chance on two Wizards. Write down monster health points and compare damage dealt with subsequent casts to damage dealt with simultaneous casts.
Reply Quote
New question: How do reduced cooldowns stack?

Or more specifically, for teleport, how does flat -4s cooldown (Oculus) stack with -%cooldown (Evocation, Empowered Shrine)? Which is applied first?

Just tried a timer and couldn't really be confident one way or the other.

Empowered seems to be -50% cooldown.

Here you go:

- Yes, empowered shrine is -50%
- Absolute reduction comes first
- Multiple sources of percentual reduction are additive

So a Teleport cooldown reduced by a -4 Oculus and both an empowered shrine and Evocation is
(16s - 4s) * 0.35 = 4.2s
Reply Quote
Excellent, Apo. thank you!!! Again, probably more relevant in the future.

The "shrines last for 1h" datamined affix would be pretty sick. And, I think we can get CD redux from helm, paragon, and weapon affixes... These would add with the 65% redux from empowered+evoc for something close to 100%!

No-cooldown FN, EB, DS, TP:Calamity, Archon explosion? Holy crap, that can't go live, lol!
Reply Quote
I completely forgot, about a week ago I found another mob with elemental resist. Toxic lurkers in the Caverns of Aranea are resistant to... ////drumroll//// ...POISON. I didn't do any specific tests with a X-X damage set up but eyeball test put it at about 50% reduction. Underneath the lurkers' name plates reads either "Beast" or "Plagued Beast" and both versions appeared to exhibit this resistance.
Reply Quote
I love this thread sooooooo much
Reply Quote
11/06/2013 10:59 AMPosted by ChangBooster
I completely forgot, about a week ago I found another mob with elemental resist. Toxic lurkers in the Caverns of Aranea are resistant to... ////drumroll//// ...POISON. I didn't do any specific tests with a X-X damage set up but eyeball test put it at about 50% reduction. Underneath the lurkers' name plates reads either "Beast" or "Plagued Beast" and both versions appeared to exhibit this resistance.

Oh cool.
I always wanted to test Inferno Carrions. I would guess they are fire resistant, like Inferno Zombies. But there's at max one group of them that spawns in A1. And whenever I met them, I didn't have any fire skill on me^^
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]