Mechanics And Game Information Compendium

(Sticky)

cofee? anyone???
Reply Quote
Wow, sticky

Hah, Uber Guide: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8728183573
Edited by RobertVarga#1345 on 5/4/2013 9:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Paralysis makes me sad, too. Living Lightning spam is the only skill that seems to make it work, and by "work" I mean actually making a difference in gameplay.

The "up to 8% chance to stun" is a mystery and just a horrible mechanic. So could the chance be 1% or how about 0.1%? It shouldn't be random anymore.
Reply Quote
I will be ripping any relevant information I can find to put into my Archon guide video (for portions I cannot for some reason put into words).

Thanks for this.
Reply Quote
Got the coffee and had a browse through - amazing information

Just wanted to comment first and then get back to the long read :)

Thanks for taking your time to do this!
Reply Quote
you should publish this and make it a novel :-p

great stuff tho!
Reply Quote
Excellent stuff apo! Really seriously... this is amazing work! Thanks for putting it together. :D

For completeness, you might want to add a bit more discussion on why spells that don't have a casting animation are so desirable. It makes a lot of sense to us veterans, but I imagine a noob might not grasp all of the subtleties. For example, spells that don't require a casting animation won't disrupt channeling for spells like Disintegrate (Intensify) and Ray of Frost (Snow Blast). Or I occassionally see some Meteor wizards thinking it's a great idea to replace Explosive Blast with Meteor in a SNS style build, but they end up dealing less damage because casting Meteor competes with casting either Frost Nova or Energy Twister.

Also, it's probably worth nothing that ALL Armor Spells are "free" too and don't have casting animations (ie Ice Armor, Storm Armor, and Energy Armor). Thus, casting Ice Armor (Frozen Storm) is a free damage+proc that behaves in a similar manner to Explosive Blast + Diamond Shards.
Edited by TekkZero#1963 on 5/4/2013 3:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
wow such a boss post apo needs a sticky
Reply Quote
....................... too many Sticky requests, Argh wont let me click on that damn request!
Reply Quote
Yeah can't req sticky coz so many already have. +1'ed all posts, even the placeholder :P

For the Unsolved Mysteries section: certain mobs resist ~51.3% incoming damage of "their" element. i.e. much more testing on more mob types needed. In case anyone has tested more than just toxic/smoldering constructs and has some results, feel free to share them. It not crucial to gameplay but I know a lot of us are "students of the game" as they say in the sports world.

https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8728554123
Reply Quote
05/04/2013 02:41 PMPosted by GrizZ
you should publish this and make it a novel :-p

Don't think it's long enough for a novel. But I could make it a short story I guess :P

05/04/2013 03:10 PMPosted by TekkZero
For completeness, you might want to add a bit more discussion on why spells that don't have a casting animation are so desirable. It makes a lot of sense to us veterans, but I imagine a noob might not grasp all of the subtleties. For example, spells that don't require a casting animation won't disrupt channeling for spells like Disintegrate (Intensify) and Ray of Frost (Snow Blast). Or I occassionally see some Meteor wizards thinking it's a great idea to replace Explosive Blast with Meteor in a SNS style build, but they end up dealing less damage because casting Meteor competes with casting either Frost Nova or Energy Twister.

Yes! Good idea. Will add a short paragraph tomorrow.

05/04/2013 03:10 PMPosted by TekkZero
Also, it's probably worth nothing that ALL Armor Spells are "free" too and don't have casting animations (ie Ice Armor, Storm Armor, and Energy Armor). Thus, casting Ice Armor (Frozen Storm) is a free damage+proc that behaves in a similar manner to Explosive Blast + Diamond Shards.

To be honest, I didn't even know that^^ Will adjust the skill specifics section.

Thanks for your input and thank you all for your kind words :-)

Any other ideas on what to add or change?

[edit]
For the Unsolved Mysteries section: certain mobs resist ~51.3% incoming damage of "their" element. i.e. much more testing on more mob types needed. In case anyone has tested more than just toxic/smoldering constructs and has some results, feel free to share them. It not crucial to gameplay but I know a lot of us are "students of the game" as they say in the sports world.

https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8728554123

Yes, I saw that post. I'm planning to add something on that topic, it just didn't make it in the initial version.
Edited by apo#2677 on 5/4/2013 4:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Amazing writeup, Apo. This forum has needed something like this for a long time now. The format makes it very easy to read and everything is written in a way that makes it easily digestible. Thank you for all your hard work and research.

05/04/2013 04:17 PMPosted by ChangBooster

Blazing Guardians take half damage from fire, and Shock Guardians take half from lightning. Very easy to test. Spam Meteor on Blazing and Forked Lightning on Shock and you'll see the reduction. Not sure of the exact amount of reduction, but it's probably safe to say that it's the same as the Toxic and Smoldering constructs since they're the same kind of mob. EDIT: ELITE and CHAMPION Blazing and Shock Guardians.

Another thing to possibly add is that Reactive Armor can trigger off of Molten (the trails), Electrify, and Mortars. It also triggers off of the patches of fire that Blazing Guardians use as their primary attack. I have a video of it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUjwYfM3Y_k
Edited by Malakai#1265 on 5/4/2013 4:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Magic Weapon - Venom

DoT stacks. DoT can crit (one crit roll for all ticks). DoT ticks have a proc coefficient of 0.
DoT can be procced by: Weapon/Fist Attack (no skill), all signature spells, Arcane Orb, Arcane Torrent, Frost Nova, Wave of Force, Explosive Blast, Teleport - Calamity, Meteor (impact only), Archon Arcane Strike, Archon Arcane Blast and maybe a few others I missed. The chance for each of those skills to apply the poison effect seems to be equal to their respective proc coefficient.

ET doesn't proc venom? Wow fail whale on that one, blizz.
Reply Quote
05/04/2013 04:31 PMPosted by Malakai
ELITE and CHAMPION Blazing and Shock Guardians.

Nope, I tested on whites, they get it too.

05/04/2013 04:31 PMPosted by Malakai
Not sure of the exact amount of reduction

It about 51.3% damage reduction.
Reply Quote
05/04/2013 04:43 PMPosted by ChangBooster
Nope, I tested on whites, they get it too.

Thanks for double checking. They always die so fast that I never noticed it.
Reply Quote
sticky!!
Reply Quote
this should have been stick'ed by now or the Blues aren't really reading in wiz forums
Reply Quote
05/04/2013 10:41 PMPosted by yems
this should have been stick'ed by now or the Blues aren't really reading in wiz forums

It's called the weekend lol.
Reply Quote
05/04/2013 11:32 PMPosted by Jaetch

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8770117136#4

Not sure if the moderators have the authority to sticky, though.
Reply Quote
05/04/2013 11:32 PMPosted by Jaetch

oh so they do have that... :D
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]