Diablo® III

Mechanics And Game Information Compendium

(Sticky)

Thanks.
And that's not a problem :) People don't have to read this from top to bottom.
The point is, whenever you ask yourself "Wait, how did X work again?", you will hopefully find your answer in here.
Reply Quote
Thanks.
And that's not a problem :) People don't have to read this from top to bottom.
The point is, whenever you ask yourself "Wait, how did X work again?", you will hopefully find your answer in here.

If only people actually read things or searched before asking those questions...
Reply Quote
Yeah, in a perfect world they would...
But I still don't see that as a problem. We will always have people asking how elemental damage works. But that's not even my focus. I try to collect the small details. The things that even I don't remember, because I only read (or posted) it once in a thread 6 months ago.

PS: Trying not to be presumptuous. But that depressing "Upcoming Hotfix to APoC"-topic was just removed from the stickies. So there's a free slot up there...
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Wizard)
View profile
lol, about the hotfix post. I'be been thinking the last few days about making a funny post about that. But hadn't come up with anything clever enough.

Guess I missed my chance.
Reply Quote
06/13/2013 10:06 AMPosted by Loroese
If only people actually read things or searched before asking those questions...

That just doesn't happen anymore.... We now live in a world where everything should be spoonfed to us.. Unfortunate as it is, it is what it is.
Reply Quote
Impressive!!

The real question is how many will actually take the time to read this. I hope many do!!

Once again great job!

when you have basically got nothing to do, like taking a break or server maintenance perhaps :D
Reply Quote
wow now thats an epic post, was this part of your thesis or something apo? jk lol

I will definatelly refer to this when a question mark pops up in my head.

cheerz.
Reply Quote
Small update. Added Blizzard duration, AT Power Stone and skills on cooldown interrupting other skills.
Reply Quote
Why isn't this sticky?
Reply Quote
06/15/2013 12:39 PMPosted by Severian
Why isn't this sticky?
An excellent question that we'd love to have a blue respond to! :p
Reply Quote
They probably haven't found a volunteer to read everything and verify it's not violating any rules :P
Reply Quote
06/15/2013 01:25 PMPosted by apo
They probably haven't found a volunteer to read everything and verify it's not violating any rules :P

Any chance you could add the formulas for calculating damage reduction % from armor and All Resist? I don't know how many times I've wished that I had bookmarked them after I found them once.

All Resist Reduction = 1-AR/(AR+5*Mob_LvL)
Armor Reduction = 1- Armor/(Armor+50*Mob_Lvl)

Total Mitigation = [1 -Armor_Reduction * All_Resist_Reduction] *100%

or also include that Life Steal is reduced by %80 on inferno mode

or that reflect damage reflects back (?)10%(?) of your damage in inferno.
Reply Quote
A chapter on EHP/mitigation is on my ToDo list. I'm just not sure how to do it really.

There's already a great post about it: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149150485
Reply Quote
i would like to help. as we have to consider the ehp boost from shards and sustain it gives too,

also comparions between LS and LOH
Reply Quote
I am not being lazy by asking this, as I read the sections, but I just want a little clarity to make sure I understand this part correctly.

OK, I am at the 2.73 BP on my wiz(right now the doc is borrowing a couple pieces;), and a little over actually. I am fully aware that the ticks wont change until I get to 3.01. We all know how much more items with 9 attack speed are than items with 7 or 8, so my curiosity is in the damage calculation. Each % of attack speed will make my DPS go up by approximately 1,350. Now, is this increase in dmg just applied as more DPS? Or is it considered a waste since its not getting the next breakpoint?

I know the spells use your paper DPS, and I am thinking anything that can get that number up, the better off you are. I hope I am explaining my question right, as in how I am thinking about it. Thanks for any help and you have put together a very nice Compendium!
Reply Quote
06/16/2013 09:30 AMPosted by Hub
Each % of attack speed will make my DPS go up by approximately 1,350. Now, is this increase in dmg just applied as more DPS? Or is it considered a waste since its not getting the next breakpoint?

Additional attack speed over the breakpoints isn't worth quite as much as the one getting you to the next BP, but it isn't by any means a waste.

Higher APS means you cast twisters faster and you can have more out on the field at the same time. Means more CM procs, more SA procs, more Arcane power Return, more LoH, faster wind-up. Extra IAS is never wasted.
Reply Quote
Blizzard
Does not stack. DoT ticks 4 times per second, not affected by attack speed. Every tick can crit individually. Damage displayed once every 0.5 seconds.
Extended duration from gear or via Unrelenting Storm rune does not result in the same numer of ticks spread out over the longer duration. Per second added, the number of ticks is increased by 4 and total damage is increased by 85%.

Sorry if this info is in this thread and I missed it.

I vaguely recall reading somewhere that blizzard crit damage is capped, maybe at 50%? Does anyone know this?

thanks.
Reply Quote
i would like to help. as we have to consider the ehp boost from shards and sustain it gives too,

also comparions between LS and LOH

If you want to write something, go ahead. We have all the info, it just needs to be put into writing.

OK, I am at the 2.73 BP on my wiz(right now the doc is borrowing a couple pieces;), and a little over actually. I am fully aware that the ticks wont change until I get to 3.01. We all know how much more items with 9 attack speed are than items with 7 or 8, so my curiosity is in the damage calculation. Each % of attack speed will make my DPS go up by approximately 1,350. Now, is this increase in dmg just applied as more DPS? Or is it considered a waste since its not getting the next breakpoint?

I know the spells use your paper DPS, and I am thinking anything that can get that number up, the better off you are. I hope I am explaining my question right, as in how I am thinking about it. Thanks for any help and you have put together a very nice Compendium!

That depends. First of, paper DPS doesn't mean much. It's just an indicator of your characters strength, but never the base of calculations.
Your real DPS is always calculated damage applied at a certain rate. Wicked Wind always does 252% weapon damage over the full duration. Your attack speed affects your cast rate and that results in a DPS value.
Now the thing is, casting animations also have breakpoints. The formulas for ticks also apply to standard casting animations. Speed coefficient in that case is usually 1. That means for casting WW, breakpoints are at 2.50001, 2.60870, 2.72728, 2.85715, 3.00001 etc. (for the full list you can refer to https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtMIOabF_5JgdGk5SDdwNjhnV1hLeTNRNkhwckViSHc )
Or in other words: IAS between DoT-tick breakpoints is not wasted, as long as you hit casting animation breakpoints. But anything between for example 2.72728 and 2.85715 doesn't help you at all.
If you want to read the long version, it's in the "Tick Rates and Breakpoints - Advanced" chapter https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8770117237#5
Hope that answers your question.

I vaguely recall reading somewhere that blizzard crit damage is capped, maybe at 50%? Does anyone know this?

Nope. The only spells we know of that have capped crit damage are Hydra (except Mammoth Hydra) and Mirror Image - Mirror Mimics
Reply Quote
Just wanted to say thanks for this, incredibly helpful for understanding the Wiz. While I'm now Paragon 40+, all this only happened over the past 2 weeks so I've learned a lot from the masters on this forum. Hope this gets stickied
Reply Quote
we've been asking the blue's too stick it too but oh well...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]