You can get +100%cc with Ray of Frost, but it requires:
*High critical chance - like 60%. So you'd use things like Nat's Ring+Boots with the ring having some intrinsic cc)
*Pickup some gear with %Crit Chance for Ray of Frost skill (ie Wizard Hat, Maras, and Skull Grasp)
*Use Energy Armor (Pinpoint Barrier)
*Trigger the +15%cc from Frost Nova (Deep Freeze) - This one is the issue I think, since the bonus doesn't last longer than 12s.
*3%cc bonus from Scoundrel.
People have done 100%cc before with Energy Twister, so it should be basically the same principle (albeit still a PITA). :) I believe you can get ~82%cc for Ray of Frost just from gear. So that's about 90% without resorting to Frost Nova (Deep Freeze).
There´s a couple of problems with that if you want to collect samples with different APS
- the cost of certain RoF items you suggest, not to mention their accessability
- I´d need two of the same items which are already difficult to get - to test different APS
- for example Nat´s 2 set bonus with either the ring and pants or helm and pants, the first option means you´ll always have at least 8% IAS the second would mean no RoF crit chance, no APoC
- you´re right about Deep Freeze which is out of the question as you need to have stable conditions for a CM test and refreshing Frost Nova stops the channeling (unless you want to also count the frames between the channels) plus having 5 targets around you is kind of tricky for survival with your research gear
- channeling high APS is difficult to sustain so you need APoC, which again puts stress on your gear choices
But OK, let´s not be negative and check what´s possible:
base 5 helm 6(13) bracers 6 ring 6 ring 6(13) amulet 10 gloves 10 source 10 pants 1 belt 1 scoundrel 3 pinpoint 5 = 75% cap
Works, I could get this without any IAS with a Nat´s Helm and a belt instead of Inna´s Pants. Unless someone lends me their max crit chance Mara or Skull Grasp, I can´t get more because I wouldn´t be able to test different APS values with the same crit chance value. But 75% should be better than the coin flip 50% that I tested.
The maximum aps with this setup would be either an 11% dagger (1.665) or chantodo´s force (1.65), IAS on amulet, 2 rings, chest, bracers, pants, gloves, belt, chanto´s force. All with perfect rolls should put me at 3.01365 aps with the dagger, I´d need one more item for chanto´s will to break 3 aps and I don´t have a 6% crit mempo (neither a 6% crit chance reflection) :/
I´ll see what I can do.