Diablo® III

High MP Firebats Build

Build:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#gcdifU!beT!ZccZcZ

My Setup:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/LordBaker-1477/hero/33222231

Just started running this build, very effective with my set up of decent EHP and a 6% life steal skorn. MP 8 & 9 are cake now and mp10 is slightly slower but still very manageable.

Key skills:

Active Skills
1) Fire Bats: Cloud of Bats

2) Soul Harvest: Vengeful Spirit

3) Spirit Walk: Honored Guest

Passive Skills
1) Grave Injustice- 2% of life and mana on kill and reduced cooldowns on kill make this an irreplaceable passive.

2a) Spiritual Attunement- Increased mana regen help with channeling fire bats indefinitely.

2b) Blood Ritual- As many WDs with higher hp have pointed out, this skill can be just as effective as the increased mana regen gained from spiritual attunement.

Remaining skill options that I like:

Active Skills
1) Zombie Bears- great for hitting ranged elites that you are having difficulty standing next to with fire bats.

2) Hex: Jinx- great for CC on 1v1 battles with elites.

3) Mass Confusion: Paranoia- Great for CC and increased dmg against mobs and elites.

4) 0 Dogs- I haven't tested this but I imagine that it would be very viable (post how it goes if you try it out).

Passives
1) Spirit Vessel- Reduced cooldown on spirit walk and soul harvest help out and the fatal damage save can really help when you are getting the hang of the build or if you underestimate a mob that you just spirit walked in the middle of.

2) Jungle Fortitude- 15% less dmg taken, nuff said.

My firebats are hittin around 1.3-2m crits and I am able to channel it indefinitely using spiritual attunement.

Having the reduced cooldowns on soul harvest and spirit walk from grave injustice allows you to spirit walk into the middle of huge mobs and just spam firebats while alternating SH and SW as they cooldown.

The rest of the skills can be swapped out to fit your individual play style.

Try it out for yourselves and let me know what you think!
Edited by LordBaker#1477 on 5/8/2013 12:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
OK I'll ask.

You have a whopping 134K DPS and you use firebats and you play MP8-10?

So what exactlly do you mean by you play MP8-10? Just curious. Your Skorn certainly isn't going to make up the 100K DPS that you're missing.

PS. You might as well throw away that SoJ with -4 bears for all the good it does you. Sorry dude I just don't get what you think you are doing. Maybe it's me.
Edited by skywalkerfx#1247 on 5/7/2013 7:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
LOL....
First your skorn build is great...
I don't know him
but then..
I believe him.
With soj and soul harvest, firebats cloud can really hit the elites over 1.3mil crits at his dps with skorn.

And you think his bear soj is not helping?
His soj has 30% elite and 6 element dmg to his black weapon the skorn. Because of the increased dmg from soj together with the buff bats, he can steal more life back and tank better.
The increased in mana also help him to spam firebat longer!

OK I'll ask.

So what exactlly do you mean by you play MP8-10? Just curious. Your Skorn certainly isn't going to make up the 100K DPS that you're missing.

PS. You might as well throw away that SoJ with -4 bears for all the good it does you. Sorry dude I just don't get what you think you are doing. Maybe it's me.
Edited by Luffy#1946 on 5/7/2013 7:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
@skywalkerfx

I'll start by giving credit where credit is due, your gear blows mine out of the water when it comes to sheet dps. I do make up for it quite a bit against elites, however, with the 30% elite dmg on soj.

When i say i run mp 8-9, I mean i have elite kill times probably averaging around a minute and i destroy trash mobs.

I think you should try the build to see how you like it before you come in and start trashing my gear. I mainly put this up to show others a viable high mp build and I think your gear would be a great test to see how it does with slightly lower ehp but with huge dps.

@Luffy
You hit the nail on the head man!

You should try switching blood ritual to spiritual attunement to see if you can channel bats longer. With your dps and ehp you should be able to tank about anything.
Edited by LordBaker#1477 on 5/7/2013 7:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
OK I'll ask.

Skywalker, you seem to be known around these forums but why be so negative?
I can easily critique everything about your build as well, having 400k EHP is a joke if you want to effectively do MP10 yet you critique someone and break them down instead of giving better insight.

His SOJ gives him indeed an overwhelming advantage vs elites, try it if you haven't already.

To the OP, great build and thank you for the input towards the community with your new skill set.

I'll be sure to try it out. Thank you and have a great day.
Reply Quote
@BarryBoy

Be sure to post what you like/dont like about the build, I'm eager to hear how your sick gear does with it
Reply Quote
I'm curious if you really need bears + spirit barrage.

I had been trying to use locust swarm - pestilence to try and aggro mobs into the CoB, i'm not sure how effective it was though, since it wasn't really getting raged mobs into the range of CoB.

I was trying MP10 with the build on a group with a couple CM wizards and it seemed pretty solid, but for solo, I think it is limited to a few niche runs like crypt of the ancients, where you really know what kind of mobs your going to go up against. I tried it in a few other places and it seemed awful solo.

I am pretty sure that if the enemy is just standing there it is more DPS than anything else WD (or any other class?) can do. The problem is the range and vulnerability to knockback/fear
Reply Quote
@LordBaker
I will ask you to try the new blood ritual instead. I get 2k life gen /sec and I dont think I wanna take it out.
See my thoughts on build at here:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8729063587

@skywalkerfx

I'll start by giving credit where credit is due, your gear blows mine out of the water when it comes to sheet dps. I do make up for it quite a bit against elites, however, with the 30% elite dmg on soj.

When i say i run mp 8-9, I mean i have elite kill times probably averaging around a minute and i destroy trash mobs.

I think you should try the build to see how you like it before you come in and start trashing my gear. I mainly put this up to show others a viable high mp build and I think your gear would be a great test to see how it does with slightly lower ehp but with huge dps.

@Luffy
You hit the nail on the head man!

You should try switching blood ritual to spiritual attunement to see if you can channel bats longer. With your dps and ehp you should be able to tank about anything.
Reply Quote
@Chris

Bears and Spirit Barrage are 2 optional skills along with hex and spirit vessel. The key skills are fire bats, soul harvest, spirit walk, spiritual attunement, and grave injustice.

I agree that fighting ranged and more difficultly effixed elites is the most challenging part of this build, but I have found hex to help out significantly with keeping them under control and the 20% additional damage is quite nice.

I think this build is great solo, tho, especially with the higher mob densities in the acts. It is a quick trash mob clearer and with some finesse, can be effective against difficult elites.

@Luffy

I have tried blood ritual before, but at my current ehp (and specifically health) situation, I dont see it out performing spiritual attunement. However, with your extremely high hp I can see why you do use it. That said I will definitely try it out in the morning to see if the buff it got makes the life loss more manageable.
Reply Quote
High mana builds have been viable for a long time with bears. Before the patch I was running bears with -bear gear and ~100 mana regeneration. The problem is that you need 3 bear items around 10 each to get bears manageable. SB and bears is a great combo if you run a high mana regen build.

Firebats is a joke to channel in comparison and deals more damage. I've been playing MP10 and watching a movie the last few hours. I am guessing my damage without a critical hit is about 800k/second and obviously much more than that with a critical hit.

On MP10 the trash has a better loot table than elites due to the double drop chance. Just kill 5 easy melee elites and skip any really annoying range boss. Get your key or whatever you are doing and then start over.

BR is fantastic as it is actually the best mana regen power (same difference even though it reduces mana cost) considering that it gives health regeneration too and is now even better.

Honestly I just wish they had decided to give regen its full value instead of half and not buffed any regen powers. Regeneration is not as good as resist all and armor..... but might stand a chance if you got 100% instead of 50% of your life regeneration total. If blizzard wants gear diversification they should not gimp the alternatives to what everyone stacks (due to it being the only thing that works).
Reply Quote
@Glythe

Farming trash mobs with 5 stacks on mp10 is definitely a way to utilize this build for paragon leveling/key wardens.

I will be trying blood ritual again either later today or tomorrow. I am guessing that with my hp situation, it will work fine on some of the lower MPs but be difficult to manage on 8+.

@MaimouKing

As I mentioned earlier, ranged elites are the most challenging part with this build. This is how I have been managing them:

Spirit walk on top of one of the elites, pop hex: Jinx, and start spamming fire bats. If the mob is desecrator/plagued/etc. and you are unable to tank standing next to them, try jumping out and using zombie bears. Also, always check to see if there is a trash mob nearby that you can kite them to so you can reset your cooldowns as needed.
Reply Quote
OK I'll ask.

I'm totally late to this thread, but I'm doing MP10 with my build, and I'm doing just dandy.

Cloud of Bats just does so much damage that having low base DPS isn't that big of an issue. I was having more issues with kill times due to specific elite affixes rather than my base dps. The mechanics of Cloud of Bats give me all the handicaps, not the lack of damage.
Reply Quote
I'll second that CoB is ridiculous even with "low" sheet DPS. I can crit for well over a million and am suddenly able to handle MP6 where even 3-4 was slow for me before. I'm sure with a group or in a couple weeks 7-8 might be easier, I'm just having some survivability issues due to stupidity/new build.
Reply Quote
@GamerObscura

That was well said, the mechanics are the only handicap, not the dps. But with skillfull use of Jinx- Hex, Mass Confusion- Paranoia, and spirit walk, ranged and difficult elites can become very manageable.

@xjohncandyx

Beef up your all resists and armor and you will be cruising through the higher MPs with this build
Reply Quote
@GamerObscura

That was well said, the mechanics are the only handicap, not the dps. But with skillfull use of Jinx- Hex, Mass Confusion- Paranoia, and spirit walk, ranged and difficult elites can become very manageable.

@xjohncandyx

Beef up your all resists and armor and you will be cruising through the higher MPs with this build

I found that mass confusion worked well for the runner elites with COB. It gave me enough time to burn them down quite a bit before I had to use bears to finish them off.

I feel that jinx is just not as useful since there are so many more mobs to target, it really only helps if there is one elite left so you can COB him to death. That's not to say it doesn't help out but BBV + MC is more effective overall that just using hex on one target imo.

I was running mp10 a bit this morning and found myself just going straight into packs and elites with cob instead of bears. I prefer this over throwing spiders by far. While in a party with a 0 dogger I saw a crit over 5 mil while fully buffed on an elite pack which is just ridiculous. All in all I am really enjoying the new COB.

Note: dps in profile is with SH
Reply Quote
@Tocean

I just ran mp10 with both mass confusion + jinx and it worked out pretty nicely on the elites. I am not a big fan of BBV due to the 2 minute cool down and its stationary nature which can be a pain against fleeing elites and elites with fear/knockback.

That 5 mil crit is nuts man, highest I've seen solo so far is about 2.3
Reply Quote
The 2 minute cooldown is really crappy but under the circumstances with the 0 dogger we had a constant stream of bbv :)

It is the highest crit I have ever seen personally that's for sure.
Reply Quote
View profile
OK so I tried the wonderful brand new firebats, reminded me of the same wonderful old firebats, and I still don't like them.

So you could get 500% damage if you stand still and spin for 5 seconds. Wow.

If I use WoS I can get 400%+ damage on one or more targets almost instantly, I can use RoE and make mana, I don't have to stand still, and I can throw a lot of WoS and bears.

But you guys with no DPS keep using the firebats. They sure are uber.....not.

Sorry to give you an honest opinion. Maybe you should try some skills other than firebats?

This is a ridiculous post. But that's the way things are now that all the good players have left.

GL
Reply Quote
OK so I tried the wonderful brand new firebats, reminded me of the same wonderful old firebats, and I still don't like them.

So you could get 500% damage if you stand still and spin for 5 seconds. Wow.

If I use WoS I can get 400%+ damage on one or more targets almost instantly, I can use RoE and make mana, I don't have to stand still, and I can throw a lot of WoS and bears.

But you guys with no DPS keep using the firebats. They sure are uber.....not.

Sorry to give you an honest opinion. Maybe you should try some skills other than firebats?

This is a ridiculous post. But that's the way things are now that all the good players have left.

GL

it starts at 500% dmg and ends up at 1000% btw.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]