Diablo® III

Buying new MacBook Pro, need advice

Hello, it´s about time for me to buy a new MacBook Pro and I need some advice.

The two alternatives I have in mind is:

1.
13-inch: 2.5GHz
2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
4GB 1600MHz memory
500GB 5400-rpm hard drive1
Intel HD Graphics 4000
Built-in battery (7 hours)2

2.
13-inch: 2.9GHz
2.9GHz dual-core Intel Core i7
Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
8GB 1600MHz memory
750GB 5400-rpm hard drive1
Intel HD Graphics 4000
Built-in battery (7 hours)2

Since I do not play any other computer game than Diablo 3, it basically is this game that determines the power I need. Alternative number two is more expensive so I was hoping alternative 1 is enough, especially since it´s on sale for a reduced price in my town until sunday.

So anyway, my question is if anyone is using any of these computers, and how it works and on which resolution it is possible to play.

Hope anyone can share their experience or knowledge.

Thankyou!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
14175
Posts: 2,315
I don't have MacBook, but I do have a 2.5GHz Mac Mini with an i5. It's maxed out on RAM at 8 GB and... I wish I went with an i7.

If you have the money to spare, I'd always go with the higher end model. Reading over a few threads, I see people recommending the i7 over the i5 for better handling of games. The Mac Mini I have runs D3 and WoW fairly well, but both do have moments of lag, which in my case is a hardware issue, not internet issue.

So... an i5 can play the game. Likely to see lag/stuttering.

i7 I have no experience with, but obviously would play the game better than an i5.
Reply Quote
I'd put my vote on #2 for optimal D3 enjoyment.

I have a MBP late-2011 model: 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 8Gb Ram, AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1Gb.

And I can run the game at a consistent medium-to-high graphics. With that said, both your choices are 13-inch macbooks and, to my knowledge, that means they don't have dedicated graphics card...

... which is kinda bad for gaming.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
Posts: 10,114
View profile
My advice. wait. we are at that time again when a fresh new batch will come out to blow last ones away. we are also at the strong intel cycle. Ivy bridge was only a shrink without much new functionality. However, haswell is going to be a good one. new integrated graphics for the lower end models and probably newer ati or nvdia for higher range models. new generation intel chip which will benefit from these new changes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haswell_(microarchitecture)
Performance Compared to Ivy Bridge (expected):
Twice the vector processing performance.[8]
At least 10% sequential CPU performance increase (8 execution ports per core versus 6).[9][10]
Up to double the performance of the integrated GPU. (Haswell GT3e vs Ivy Bridge HD4000)


More related articles:
http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/02/intel-shares-details-on-new-iris-integrated-graphics-for-haswell-chips/
http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/28/notebook-refresh-to-be-highlight-of-wwdc-non-retina-macbook-pro-to-continue/
Reply Quote
MysticalOS:

I dont know much about computers, but you are saying the next models will be much better right?

Any idea when they will arrive?

From the other posts here it also seems even the i7 is not really enough, so maby it´s worth the wait. I´m just afraid my computer will collapse before the next MacBook Pro generation.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
Posts: 11,288
View profile
As long as you are not running Snow Leopard (10.6.8), your computer should last you until the new MB/MBP lineups come out. This is the absolute worst time to buy right now. The main thing is that you have the willpower to wait until at least June for any hardware refreshes. Just be grateful you aren't waiting for a new Mac Pro like many of us are. We've been waiting for a successor to the Westmere line for three years and counting now...
Reply Quote
I am running Snow Leopard (10.6.8) on a 2009 MacBook ( so I´m used too a lot of lag). But I guess
it´s worth the wait if I can get a much better computer this summer. Also June might be a little optimistic since it´s only one month away and nothing have been announced as I know about.

Anyway thanks a lot for the advice!
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
Posts: 11,288
View profile
If you're running 10.6.8 I strongly suggest moving to 10.7.5 or preferrably 10.8.3 and later. Not only will you get much needed bug fixes, but you'll be protecting your ability to play once Snow Leopard (10.6.8) support is dropped.

If you can afford the $20, I would get Mountain Lion ASAP.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]