Diablo® III

Why is increased monster density ONLY inferno?

Leveling up a new character is one of the most boring parts of this game. So much time spent running through dead zones. Why did they only apply this change to Inferno? I was planning on leveling up some of my other champs after 1.08, but now I don't know.
Reply Quote
Because Inferno is where the party starts. The other 3 difficulties are just the Tutorial.
Reply Quote
Couldn't agree more.
Reply Quote
My guess is that it would throw off their finely balanced leveling curve -- though I'm not sure how/why that's an issue given that anyone can endlessly farm for xp anytime they want (in any Act).
Reply Quote
If there are many monsters, you will level too fast and then receive less exp if you do not go further.

Why grind the same map too long if you can go further to higher level maps?

F.Y.I: If the mobs are 3-level higher than you, you will gain 25% exp bonus. If the mobs are 4-level lower than you, you will gain no exp from killing them.
Edited by Singleton#1386 on 5/13/2013 9:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
That's really the only fun part of the game, because you get to try out different skills (no choice as the best combos are not available). Once you hit 60 and everything is unlocked, you'll probably never switch skills again unless something is nerfed in a patch. Then you'll do the same boring thing again and again and again and again and again.

And if you really hate it, get a volunteer to power level you. It will take less than 4 hours. Somebody good can do it in under two.
Edited by Surt#1179 on 5/13/2013 9:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
They may not want people leveling too quickly through content. Or they think it would require a fair amount of re-balancing in order for all classes to be able to handle the increased density. Optional or not, they couldn't do it if one of the classes just wasn't able to deal with the density increase.

Either way, I was leveling a HC character the past couple of days with MP on and wishing they had increased the density.
Reply Quote
They may not want people leveling too quickly through content. Or they think it would require a fair amount of re-balancing in order for all classes to be able to handle the increased density. Optional or not, they couldn't do it if one of the classes just wasn't able to deal with the density increase.

Either way, I was leveling a HC character the past couple of days with MP on and wishing they had increased the density.

They allowed MP to be used before Inferno though, and if you play with a high MP you hit 60 well before Inferno. They also didn't do any rebalancing for high MP in pre-60 classes, and I'm sure that some classes handle that better than others too.

So if that was their rationale, I think it was misguided.
Reply Quote
Because the leveling stage of this game is even worse than it was in DII.
Reply Quote
05/13/2013 11:07 AMPosted by Piffle
They also didn't do any rebalancing for high MP in pre-60 classes, and I'm sure that some classes handle that better than others too.

True, but density increase is for any level of MP. If a class really couldn't handle the MP density increase, they would effectively be cut off from that option completely whereas now they can scale the difficulty to their comfort zone. If that's the rationale, it's not a bad reason for not increasing density but they really should tweak the classes so they could handle increased density at least on MP1.

I kinda wish a Blue would pop in and give their rationale behind it and if they are planning to work on density across all difficulties or if they're satisfied with it's current state.
Reply Quote

True, but density increase is for any level of MP. If a class really couldn't handle the MP density increase, they would effectively be cut off from that option completely whereas now they can scale the difficulty to their comfort zone. If that's the rationale, it's not a bad reason for not increasing density but they really should tweak the classes so they could handle increased density at least on MP1.

But if you can't handle the increased density, you can always just leave it on MP 0.

Same thing as Inferno.
Reply Quote
Cmon, it takes what, 6 hours to get to to 60 now? LOL. Helm gem, hellfire, Cane's set... I got to 60 with my wiz halfway through hell LOL.

Edit: sorry, forgot about doing the whole thing on MP10...which is EZPZ up until inferno.
Edited by Omniscient#1704 on 5/13/2013 12:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/13/2013 09:42 AMPosted by Piffle
Leveling up a new character is one of the most boring parts of this game. So much time spent running through dead zones. Why did they only apply this change to Inferno? I

I bet it is boring for people that got banned and had to buy another copy of Diablo III LOL (I am not inferring it is the OP btw that was banned....just some of the other "recent" players)
Reply Quote
05/13/2013 09:54 AMPosted by PrivateRiem
Because Inferno is where the party starts. The other 3 difficulties are just the Tutorial.

Everything wrong with the game in one short sentence.
Bravo.
Reply Quote
But if you can't handle the increased density, you can always just leave it on MP 0.

Same thing as Inferno.

If increasing density completely cuts off a certain class from playing in MP at all while leveling, they can't just say "don't play MP". That's not a good way to approach the issue. They would need to tweak the class in question to be able to handle the density increase before increasing density.
Reply Quote
05/13/2013 12:06 PMPosted by MaxCarnage
Leveling up a new character is one of the most boring parts of this game. So much time spent running through dead zones. Why did they only apply this change to Inferno? I

I bet it is boring for people that got banned and had to buy another copy of Diablo III LOL (I am not inferring it is the OP btw that was banned....just some of the other "recent" players)

I'm not banned, I just want to try out other classes and I enjoy being able to give them gear I find. Every time I get to act 2 though I want to claw my eyes out.

Same thing as Inferno.

If increasing density completely cuts off a certain class from playing in MP at all while leveling, they can't just say "don't play MP". That's not a good way to approach the issue. They would need to tweak the class in question to be able to handle the density increase before increasing density.

To be honest, I'm having a hard time fathoming anyone having difficulty playing through Nightmare on MP 1 with increased monster density. That being said, what's wrong with having to turn off (or just down) MP to progress?

When leveling up my barb and WD, I started off on MP 10. And I zoomed through content until I got to a certain level where I had outleveled my gear and MP 10 was too hard. So I dropped it down a few levels. And then the same thing happened again. I fail to see why that's an issue?

I'd much rather play on MP 1 and have fun leveling up than play on MP 7 and want to claw my eyes out because 50% of the game is a wasteland.
Reply Quote
To be honest, I'm having a hard time fathoming anyone having difficulty playing through Nightmare on MP 1 with increased monster density. That being said, what's wrong with having to turn off (or just down) MP to progress?

When leveling up my barb and WD, I started off on MP 10. And I zoomed through content until I got to a certain level where I had outleveled my gear and MP 10 was too hard. So I dropped it down a few levels. And then the same thing happened again. I fail to see why that's an issue?

We're going off the assumption that they didn't allow MP to increase density in all difficulties because one or more classes couldn't deal with the density increase at some point or another even on MP1. We don't know if that's the actual reasoning or not because Blues can't/won't comment on it.

I agree with you that it's unlikely any class couldn't deal with density increases, aside from normal perhaps because you don't have all your slots or abilities throughout. That aside, if one class absolutely can not play with increased density while the others can, that's a broken system and the solution is not "don't play it". You have to fix the issue for that class before allowing the others to benefit from the system.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]