Diablo® III

Why is increased monster density ONLY inferno?

I support adding increased density for higher MP1+. I like running through normal with a new character on MP10, find it fun :)
Reply Quote
It's possible Normal, Nightmare and Hell are the tutorial run seeing as you keep getting new skills up to level 60. So it gives you time to get used to different skills as you get them. Good for new players, just not for old players leveling a new character. Good to see it's on the radar to be addressed, though.
Reply Quote
05/14/2013 06:37 PMPosted by KingQueso
I like running through normal with a new character on MP10, find it fun

That's what I'm doing with my HC characters, I must agree it's a blast.
Reply Quote
05/14/2013 06:18 PMPosted by Veda
The reason we didn’t apply monster density changes to Normal, Nightmare, and Hell difficulties is because we felt this would be detrimental to the new player experience.

While playing Path of Exile for the very first time, I came across a mob named Hailrake. He proceeded to freeze me in place and then one shot my character back to default league..

The moral of the story was that I learned very early in the game that I needed resists and hp to survive monsters. You don't help players by catering to their "nubness" and inability to learn the game. You build the game around a players ability to think and problem solve. This is a core philosophy problem with D3.
Reply Quote
05/14/2013 05:17 PMPosted by Vaeflare
Leveling up a new character is one of the most boring parts of this game. So much time spent running through dead zones. Why did they only apply this change to Inferno? I was planning on leveling up some of my other champs after 1.08, but now I don't know.
Great question!

The reason we didn’t apply monster density changes to Normal, Nightmare, and Hell difficulties is because we felt this would be detrimental to the new player experience. Players who are just entering Sanctuary for the very first time have different needs and less skills and tools at their disposal, and they require the opportunity to get their feet wet before being assaulted with the additional challenges that higher monster density offers. At the same time, we also agree that this isn’t ideal for players who have already gone through the game and are looking to start up new characters and are ready to take on additional challenges and faster pacing from the get-go.

Along these lines, we’ve considered ideas such as enabling the higher density for MP1 and higher, or simply making higher density a checkbox option. We’re currently working on some other concrete ideas, but we don’t have anything to share just yet, but this is definitely an aspect of Diablo III that we’d like to improve in the long-term.

COuld make it for the other 3 that it only triggers on MP10
Reply Quote
05/14/2013 05:17 PMPosted by Vaeflare
Leveling up a new character is one of the most boring parts of this game. So much time spent running through dead zones. Why did they only apply this change to Inferno? I was planning on leveling up some of my other champs after 1.08, but now I don't know.
Great question!

The reason we didn’t apply monster density changes to Normal, Nightmare, and Hell difficulties is because we felt this would be detrimental to the new player experience. Players who are just entering Sanctuary for the very first time have different needs and less skills and tools at their disposal, and they require the opportunity to get their feet wet before being assaulted with the additional challenges that higher monster density offers. At the same time, we also agree that this isn’t ideal for players who have already gone through the game and are looking to start up new characters and are ready to take on additional challenges and faster pacing from the get-go.

Along these lines, we’ve considered ideas such as enabling the higher density for MP1 and higher, or simply making higher density a checkbox option. We’re currently working on some other concrete ideas, but we don’t have anything to share just yet, but this is definitely an aspect of Diablo III that we’d like to improve in the long-term.

Seems like the same rule set of MP1 for <Inferno as it is for Inferno would be a no brainer. Hopefully the devs can get something together sooner than later in game, as it would get me to give HC another try if the lower levels were more interesting with the new density. There are certain areas of A1/2 that more monster density has done wonders for!
Reply Quote
View profile
05/14/2013 05:41 PMPosted by Fireblade
But from nightmare to hell = yes a lot of differences. You need 200-300 all resist to stay alive and not die.

No, just no
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
Great question!

Please keep us updated on this. I'd love to have monster density as a toggle style option. And you surely must realize that there are players sort of "on the border" of say a given MP level where they could probably handle it if it were more sparsely populated like it is on MP0, but aren't yet ready to go full bore with the higher density. And there are others like myself that find leveling up to be fun, but still a drag since half of the maps are barren wastelands. I'd like to run something other than Act 3 ad nauseum during leveling up, but right now that's my only real choice since it's got the best monster density in the game outside of Inferno.
Edited by TheTias#1192 on 5/14/2013 7:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/13/2013 09:56 AMPosted by Ringo
They may not want people leveling too quickly through content

Really? The same content you see in ALL of the difficulties? AND when you go to farm for items? They don't want you to go too quickly through it?

Have you not noticed the amount of negative comments on the fact that there's always a boss face in a corner of your screen talking to you every 5 minutes and that the content/story is a complete joke?
Reply Quote
or simply making higher density a checkbox option.

I mean it's unreal to my brain at least, that you didn't implement this instead of what we have now of only allowing mob density to increase on Inferno mp1+.

You guys ALWAYS seem to get close to the mark and miss it every time....just outstanding.

And then when called on their poor decision, their answer almost always implies that their customers/players aren't capable of playing the game as anything but a pre-teen child, both mentally and otherwise.

05/14/2013 07:04 PMPosted by Torqbow
You don't help players by catering to their "nubness" and inability to learn the game. You build the game around a players ability to think and problem solve. This is a core philosophy problem with D3.

It's not just D3 that Blizzard does this in. It's infinitely worse in WoW, which is where this mentality of theirs started.

I wish more people would see this. Blizzard didn't always have this opinion of players. It started somewhere early during the Wrath expansion for WoW. It's just gotten worse since then.
Edited by Caz#1594 on 5/14/2013 9:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/14/2013 05:58 PMPosted by EasyC
or simply making higher density a checkbox option.

I mean it's unreal to my brain at least, that you didn't implement this instead of what we have now of only allowing mob density to increase on Inferno mp1+.

You guys ALWAYS seem to get close to the mark and miss it every time....just outstanding.

Edited a bit for emphasis; QFT.
Reply Quote
Really? We're complaining about this now?

It takes like 14hrs to get to inferno....and thats playing it slow. Some do it in 7 hrs.

If you want mob density....just spend 1 day getting to inferno.
Reply Quote
05/14/2013 05:40 PMPosted by Espionage724
Why are nightmare and hell treated as hand-holding experiences?

This pretty much. Normal is meant to be... Normal. Nightmare is meant to be harder than Normal, Hell harder than Nightmare, and Inferno harder than Hell.

Plus... with Monster Power, players can choose how they want their experience to be. If a player doesn't want to be "overloaded" with monsters, they can choose no MP. If a player wants to slay hordes of demons "the way it's meant to be played", they can use MP.

MP isn't even exposed to new players, whereas experienced players will likely want MP.

I see no logical reason why this isn't an option for, any difficulty really. I feel this concept wasn't really thought out in great detail... Or, maybe it was thought out. Maybe such a feature will come with an expansion pack. What better way to encourage players to buy an expansion pack by toting "more challenges"...

The problem with limiting it to MP modes is that it is only accessible along with all monsters being level 63, so you have at the very least a double whammy in difficulty increase. Could it at the very least be expanded to Inferno MP0 Blizzard staff?
Reply Quote
the difficulty levels are kinda irrelevant though, i twinked my barb out so much while i was leveling him that i was playing the game on mp10 from normal to inferno, and i did it with only about 40m gold along the way. anyone can do that now, and for less money too.
Reply Quote
The leveling experience should be considered important on any RPG, at least for me it is, I like leveling characters, maybe not so much in this particular game because there're no permanent changes one can make to their characters or grave errors when assigning stat points and other RPG'ish stuff Diablo III doesn't have.

But if the game were to be improved someday, like maybe adding some ladder systems and whatnot...the leveling experience should also be improved, and if no monster density for lower difficulties is a decision made in regards to new players, an improvement on that field would make new players like the game a lot more, just leave the easy stuff for normal mode, the game should be more challenging after the first steps are secured.

Right now the leveling process seems like a mere filler like in many other games, but yeah, that's because the game itself lacks incentives to make more characters, so I guess if one doesn't mind that fact it's ok, even for new players.
Reply Quote
If you want to level up faster, then play on higher MP levels
Reply Quote
05/14/2013 10:30 PMPosted by Eonjee
If you want to level up faster, then play on higher MP levels

MP Levels don't make Normal-Hell any less boring.
Reply Quote
Really? We're complaining about this now?

It takes like 14hrs to get to inferno....and thats playing it slow. Some do it in 7 hrs.

If you want mob density....just spend 1 day getting to inferno.

And then die to MP1 or higher as you are ill equipped for fighting groups of such highly leveled enemies. Getting to inferno doesn't get you Monster Power iirc nor does it get you the benefits of increased mob density. You have to first beat Inferno to unlock monster power and by extension, increased mob density.

So 4 difficulties need to be completed in full before you get to experience the biggest change that v1.08 introduced.
Edited by SirSteel#1419 on 5/14/2013 10:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/14/2013 10:57 PMPosted by Decapitator
You have to first beat Inferno to unlock monster power and by extension, increased mob density.

Wrong. At least the first part. Go to the Options menu Gameplay Tab and click on Enable Monster Power Selection. You have it from normal if you want it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]